EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Ancient Egyptian hair and wigs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ancient Egyptian hair and wigs
blackman
Member # 1807

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for blackman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a little info on hair and wigs in ancient egypt.
http://www.touregypt.net/magazine/mag07012001/magf3.htm

Posts: 342 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemi
Member # 3176

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Artemi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
~Just heard a lecture by Salima Ikram yesterday where she discussed wigs (among other things), and pointed out that ones like this

and more especially the ones used in Fletcher's controversial Nefertiti program, would actually have originally been much tighter curls than what we now see.

[This message has been edited by Artemi (edited 16 April 2004).]

Posts: 103 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most poor Egyptians made due with animal hair or with straw as wigs. Much of the elite in Egypt tended to have hair made of natural hair,and sometimes hair was even traded as a commodity good.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blackman
Member # 1807

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for blackman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ausar,
I also read that wool was commonly used for wigs. I find it interesting the site mentioned that the men's wigs were more elaborate than the women's wigs. I wonder how they know if it's a man's or woman's wig?

I guess if it's in a man's tomb that will tell.

Posts: 342 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wool was common for peasents,or non-priestly elites in Egypt. Other times wool was seem as strictly a religious taboo so that no priests could wear it as a wig.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keino
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by blackman:
Here is a little info on hair and wigs in ancient egypt.
http://www.touregypt.net/magazine/mag07012001/magf3.htm

Interesting!!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiggleGirl
Member # 3822

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiggleGirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:
Most poor Egyptians made due with animal hair or with straw as wigs. Much of the elite in Egypt tended to have hair made of natural hair,and sometimes hair was even traded as a commodity good.

Straw?? Owch...LOL they would have looked like scarecrows...the Ancient Egyptian version of Worzel Gummage!!!

Posts: 293 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keino
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GiggleGirl:
Straw?? Owch...LOL they would have looked like scarecrows...the Ancient Egyptian version of Worzel Gummage!!!

bump++

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blackman
Member # 1807

Rate Member
quote:
Wool was common for peasents,or non-priestly elites in Egypt. Other times wool was seem as strictly a religious taboo so that no priests could wear it as a wig.

AUSAR,
Why was wool taboo for priests?

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Don't really have much detail other than it might be due to pacific fear of shepards. You know that Manetho and others mention the immence fear Kemetians had for shepard people who hearded sheep. The other reason might be out of disdain with Asiatics who were known as sheep heraders.

blackman
Member # 1807

Rate Member
quote:
You know that Manetho and others mention the immence fear Kemetians had for shepard people who hearded sheep. The other reason might be out of disdain with Asiatics who were known as sheep heraders.

AUSAR,
I didn't know about Manetho's mention of fear. I did know the bible's book (I believe Genesis) mentions the dislike the Eygptians have for shepherds.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com