EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Hykos:Agean Pirates or Semites

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hykos:Agean Pirates or Semites
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

HELCK, Wolfgang, Das Hyksosproblem, Orientalia 62 (1993), 60-66.

In the M.K. and S.I.P. there were large numbers of 'Asiatics' living in Egypt who were originally brought there as prisoners or as slaves. They are to be distinguished from the Asiatics of Tell ed-Dab'a, among whom there were many Phoenician traders and artisans. The Hyksos fit in neither of these groups, and the reports on their violent behaviour make them appear as a third element. Neither Semitic nor Hurritic, they may well have been pirates from Cyprus and southern Anatolia, intent on usurping the trade of Tell el-Dab'a. W.H.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blackman
Member # 1807

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for blackman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ausar,
Are there any drawings of the Hykos?

I believe I've seen a drawing of a war scene
with the Sea People in boats.

Posts: 342 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blackman
Member # 1807

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for blackman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by blackman:
ausar,
Are there any drawings of the Hyksos?

I believe I've seen a drawing of a war scene
with the Sea People in boats.

Posts: 342 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a few statues with the typical ''mushroon'' style haircut that date to the Second Intermediate Period. We do have depictions of ''Asiatics'' on the tombs of Beni Hassan and of Bedouins presented in the tomb of Tut-Ankh-Amun. Other than this,pictoral evidence for Hykos is very scant.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo*geo
Member # 3466

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for neo*geo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm curious about what language they spoke. The Hyksos seemed to have semitic names very similar to Hebrew names. They had to have some sort of relationship with the Near East.
Posts: 887 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Yurco claims they were both Semetic and Hurrian people. This might explain how Set became synamous with red haired people around this time period. The Hykos symbolized Set with their storm deity.

multisphinx
Member # 3595

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for multisphinx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
where did the hykos originally come from
Posts: 671 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Probabaly somewhere in Palestine. Possibly they were a mixture of Hurrian[Indo-European] and Syrio-Palestinean people.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com