EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Who are the direct decendents of the ancient egyptians?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Who are the direct decendents of the ancient egyptians?
brian04
Member # 3553

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for brian04     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everybody,
I was just wondering who are the direct decendents of the ancient egyptians? I heard the copts believe that they are the direct decendents. Is this true?

Salam,
Brian

Posts: 432 | From: China | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kem-Au
Member # 1820

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kem-Au     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by brian04:
Hi everybody,
I was just wondering who are the direct decendents of the ancient egyptians? I heard the copts believe that they are the direct decendents. Is this true?

Salam,
Brian

Hi Brian. There are many descendants of ancient Egyptians today. First there's the modern rural Egyptains. Most of these people, from Upper or Lower Egypt are probably descended from ancient ones, even if there was some mixing in certain areas.

There is a question of the actual ancient border, which I'm sure extended into the modern Sudan. So my belief is that the northern Sudanese we know call Nubian are probably also descendants.

Aside from this, there are a number of theories. Many scientist believe that the ancient Egyptians dispersed deeper into Africa after all the invasions. The most accessible text you'll find on this subject is probably Moustafa Gadalla's Exiled Egyptians. I watched a program on the Dinka people, and they mentioned that some believed that they were were descended from the ancient Egyptians, though they didn't name any of these people that believe this.

There are other groups like Yoruba speaking people of Nigeria and Benin, and Wolof people from Senegal to name a few that people argue are descendants of ancient Egyptians.

More research needs to be done on this.

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thought
Member # 4108

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thought     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by brian04:
[B]Hi everybody,

Thought Writes:

Genetically most modern humans share in the same gene pool as Ancient Egyptians. Culturally, Western Civilization and Judeo-Christianity are both outgrowths of Ancient Egyptian culture. Do modern Egyptians have GREATER affinities, yes.

Posts: 54 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amun
Member # 1813

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Amun   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by brian04:
Hi everybody,

Salam,
Brian

Egyptian fellahin are the most direct connection to ancient Egypt.

Posts: 338 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The most direct decendants of the ancient Egyptians are the Fellahin in both Upper and Lower Egypt. Commonly these people are called Sa3eadi meaning southern Egypt. Most of the rural populations of Egypt contained both Christains and Muslims within the population,so to say that most Coptics are direct desendants yet others like the Muslim Fellahin are not is not based on factual history. The city dwellers in places like Al-Fustat and Cairo over the years probabally left large genetic remnants,but never once did any of the elite in these cities fool with the indigenous Egyptian fellahin. Most rural populations remained totally isolated from humanity untill about the 18th-19th centuries when the Ottoman Turks incorporated many into millitary duty to fight for the armies.

Not only does a good percentage of phenotype exist with the Sa3eadi and Fellahin,but also many customs of the religious life and culture remain intact despite years of domination by alien races. You can visit most Upper Egyptian villages even in a time like 2004 and feel automatically transported back to what life might have been for the average Egyptian back in anttiquity. Also other linguist like Dr. Georgy Sobhy have even found that much of the so-called Sa3eadi Arabic is most identical to Sahidic Coptic spoken by rural Egyptian peasents untill at late as the 16th century,but other push it as far back as 1913.

Here are some references:

Arab writters on the rual Egyptian Fellahin during the Middle Ages
While the villages live on in their enclosed world,almost untouched by the influence of Islam,the cities were the product of the great medevil Islamic civlization which was essentially urban. The city dwellers depised the Fellahin and had almost no contact with them excepot in the purchase of their crops. It is no exgeration to say that the citzens of Cairo felt more in common with the inhabitants felt more in common with the inhabitants of Damacus or Bagdad than he did with a Egyptian fellahin. All the Arabic litterature of the period belongs to the cities and provides no insight of the country side.
Page 100
The Arab World: A Comprehensive History
by Peter Mansfield

Some ancient traditions still survive in modern Egypt. These
include the festival of Shem-el-Nessim which marks the start of
spring in the same way that the festival Khoiakh did in antiquity.
Families celebrate this out-of-doors,exchanging gifts of colored eggs
to reassert the renewal of the vegetation and the annual rebirth of
life. Another modern festival,Awru El-Nil,takes the form of a
national holiday;at this celebration of the inundation of the Nile
flowers are thrown into the river. In ancient times a festival was
held annually to mark the innudation,and prayers were offered to ask
for a good flood[neither too high no too low]which would ensure ample
crops and general prosperity .Other modern ceremonies reflect ancient
funerary customs . Forty days after death and burial the family of
the deceased will take food to the grave,and this is then distributed
among the poor who have gathered . This occasion,known as el-
Arbeiyin,retains elements of the ancient service preformed at the
time of burial when relatives gathered at the tomb and at the
conclusion of the burial rites shared funerary meal. The forty days
that still elapse between death and el-Arbeiyin probally reflect the
period that was set aside for mummification procedures in ancient
Egypt. Another early tradition is probally preserved in the modern
annual family visit to the grave when special food is brought which
is then given to the poor.
page 129
Rosalie David Handbook of Life in Ancinet Egypt

Except for his curly black hair, with its hint of African negro
blood, he [Shahhat] looked more Arabian than Egyptian; most of the
men in the village were shorter, more heavily built, and had strong
cheekbones, thick noses, and heavy jaws. Among their rugged faces,
Shahhat's stood out as singularly expressive."
The reader might conclude from such a description that Critchfield's
initial attraction to Shahhat was due to the fact that his features
were much less African than those of the majority of Upper Egyptians.
Ironically, that is the attitude of some inhabitants of northern
Egypt, who refuse to acknowledge Upper Egyptians as Arabs, and
consider darker skin to be a negative trait. Such prejudice is the
second challenge which faces Upper Egyptians, in addition to poverty:
racism.
Although I did take issue with the presumably inadvertent racial
implications of Critchfield's observations, Shahhat, an Egyptian is
an entertaining and vivid introduction to the richness and diversity
of rural Egyptian life.
Uzra Zeya is a program coordinator for the American Educational Trust
specializing in Islamic affairs.
Advise and Dissent and Shahhat, an Egyptian are available from the
<http://www.ahram.org.eg/weekly/2002/598/li1.htm> http://www.washington-report.org/backissues/0390/9003045.htm

Except for the black Nubians and Sudanese,Egyptains appear ethnically
homogenous ''arabs'' to most Western foreigners,compared to the
United States,India,or Indonesia,this might be the case,but Egypt's
ethnic makeup is far more complex.
Most Muslim Egyptains consider themselves Arabs with a strain of
native Egyptain ancestry that links them to the pharoahs and the
semetic people of Ham.
IN most cases the north,it's usually more complex than that. Waves
of foreign invaders and colonizers from the
Greeks,Romans,Persians,and Turks,and other Central Asians,to the
Mamelukes and Ottomans with ancestry from the Balkans,the caucaus and
places like Azerbaijan have been assimilated into the Egyptain blood
stream.
The majority of Egyptains who still work the land along the banks
of the Nile are known as Fellahin,or peasents. They are ther
backbone of Egyptain soceity asnd are closely associated with the
land and the riverthat has shaped their way of life for thousands of
years. The fellaheen are purer in their native Egyptain stock than
urban folk,who over the years have intermixed,married,and assimilated
with invaders and expatriates.
Those in Middle and Upper Egypt are called Sayeedis<Upper Egypt is
known as ''Sayeed'' and are streotypically known for their hot
blood,family loyalthy,and stubborness. Like the Irish in england or
southerners in the American northeast,they suffer bad jokes at the
hand of urban Northern Egyptains who consider them thick and simple
minded.
Page 39
Egypt Guide
John J. Bentley
Egypt Guide (Egypt Guide)
by John J. Bently, John J. Bentley

Historicallyt,''baladi'' indicated the locals,the egyptians,as versus
the turks,the mamelukes,the french,or the british. To be Ibna' Al
balad,sons of the country,was to defend Egypt against French and
British occupiers. Balad a noun means community-wheater
country,city,townor village;in colloquiual Egyptian it can means
downtown or village. Baladi adjective form,means local or indigenous.
Through time,balady has come to connote the local or residents and
life of urban quarters such as bulaq Abu AlaIt is a self
descprtive,emic term that can roughly be translated ''traditional''
but which also retrains a rich infusion of the local and authenic.
The early ninteenth centuiry history Abd Al Rahman al Jabarti used
ibn al balad to mean urbanite Cairene muslims who shared a dialect
and a relgion as oposed to foreign rulers who spoke arabic and
violate muslim normsJibarti detailed the mistreatment of these
Cairene theologians,merchants,and aristans by ruling elites. The
following Al jabarti references are quote in El Messiri''Some of the
troops used to buy sheep and sluaghter them,then sell them at high
price. They would give short weight and ibn al balad could nothing
but check them ""
pg 54 Baladi Women of Cairo

Egyptians long considered Bedouins as ''the Arabs' and viewed the majority of the population as the ''real Egyptians.'' Fellahin[literally''tillers of the soil''] in many isolated Nile Valley villages have maintained features and many cuystoms of the Ancient Egyptians,as those shown in ancient representations.
page 447
Middle East Patterns: Places, Peoples, and Politics
by Colbert C. Held

One group prominent among Egypt's growing social and economic elite are desendants of the former ruling class,the Turks
page 448
by Colbert C. Held

Despite the marked growth of several cities,especially Cairo,Egyptian social structure retains village roots more than the urban migration would indicate. Increasing hundreads of thousands of landless and displaced fellahin have flooded into cities since the 1950's,often grouping themselves by place of origin and thus preserving their village idenity. Indeed,this kind of urbanization,the virtual displacement of village to city has been reffered to as the relization of Cairo''Incoming migrants typically have little education,almost no money,and no relavent skills.
page 449
by Colbert C. Held

Here is a reference that shows in Blood Group Distribution Muslims nor Christains are not much different.

*The Distribution of Human Blood Groups* by A.E. Mourant and A.C. Kopec
(1976), p.85 showed that the Copts had no significant differences from
the
Muslim Egyptians in blood group frequencies which confirms my belief
that the
majority of Muslim Egyptians are converted Copts.In other words,they
did not
mix with the invading Arabs. Boyd and later Batawi showed that there
were no
significant physiological differences between the modern and ancient
Egyptians in skin colour and skull remains. The American Frank Yurco is
another recent and peer-evaluated reference I would suggest you read

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayazid
Member # 2768

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayazid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as I know consider Egyptians themselves "asmar" = brown. I doubt that for example these people, who are quite "typical" Egyptians consider themselves "black" or "white".

http://www.egyptsme.org/REDECSohag/_images/WebAlbum/html/index001.html
http://www.pbase.com/weirdrob/friends

Posts: 653 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amwa
Member # 3287

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amwa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ayazid,
You know Ausar has posted photos to the contrary of what you have presented.And,I
have seen photos and television shows about
upper and lower modern Egyptians who are
phenotypically "black".Everyone at this
board is aware of the modern Arab/Egyptian
population and foreign invasions that
contributed to the phenotype change.

Posts: 74 | From: atlanta,ga | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayazid
Member # 2768

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for Ayazid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amwa
I donīt say that these people "white" or "arab-looking". On the contrary, they have distinct negroid or "black" admixture. Surely, between Sohag and Aswan is a lot of "black-looking" Egyptians.Black, at least for Europeans and Americans.But itīs not my point. You must know that majority of Egyptians see themselves "brown" and not only "white" or "black" like Americans and Europeans.The Egyptians are mixed people and they always were mixed.

Posts: 653 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thought
Member # 4108

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thought     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ayazid:
Amwa
I donīt say that these people "white" or "arab-looking". On the contrary, they have distinct negroid or "black" admixture. Surely, between Sohag and Aswan is a lot of "black-looking" Egyptians.Black, at least for Europeans and Americans.But itīs not my point. You must know that majority of Egyptians see themselves "brown" and not only "white" or "black" like Americans and Europeans.The Egyptians are mixed people and they always were mixed.

Thought Writes:

Ayazid,

How can the majority of Egyptians see themselves as "Brown" when the word "Brown" is not a Arabic word? How were they able to translate this word and then define it as their own? Furthermore, what sampling method did you use to determine that this is how the majority of Egyptians felt about themselves, after they translated this ENGLISH word and contextualized it? Do the words Black and Brown mean different things in America? Are there Black people that have Brown skin? Are Black Americans also mixed, yet Black at the same time? Would the typical "Brown" Egyptian be able to convince a Aryan Nations Skinhead not to stomp his or her head in because he/she is actually "Brown" and not Black?

Posts: 54 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DubaiDoctor
Member # 4045

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DubaiDoctor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Surely Brown is not an Arabic word but I assure you that there is a word in Arabic that mean Brown, he could have said bunni, Asmar, Hintty, Qamhey but I dought you'll understand any of that. I guess Tanned will be a better descrive term than Brown. Tanned will be a term that you be familliar with

Again you apply American classification on Egyptians. he is correct. Arabs refer to europians skin color as RED. Most egyptians and Arabs don't see their skin coloure as RED nor black but either white "again not like a RED european" or tanned and sometimes blacks if you are in Somalia or Sudan.

There is no sampling used it is a matter of language, SKIN COLOR HAS NO SIGNIFICANTS WHAT SO EVER AMONG US. the way we look and describe our own skin color is difffernet that Amricans do. I hope you do understand the difference.

quote:
Originally posted by Thought:
Thought Writes:

Ayazid,

How can the majority of Egyptians see themselves as "Brown" when the word "Brown" is not a Arabic word? How were they able to translate this word and then define it as their own? Furthermore, what sampling method did you use to determine that this is how the majority of Egyptians felt about themselves, after they translated this ENGLISH word and contextualized it? Do the words Black and Brown mean different things in America? Are there Black people that have Brown skin? Are Black Americans also mixed, yet Black at the same time? Would the typical "Brown" Egyptian be able to convince a Aryan Nations Skinhead not to stomp his or her head in because he/she is actually "Brown" and not Black?

Posts: 77 | From: Dubai UAE | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayazid
Member # 2768

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayazid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The Egyptians see themselves as essentially sumr, or "dark". However, for all intents and purposes this is a most confusing and contentious term. If an individual is described as asmar, the masculine, or samra, the feminine, they could range in colour from the southern Sudanese ebony or indigo black, a west African chocolate or mahogany black, the various copper and honey-toned Ethiopian and Somali types, to the olive or off-white dark-haired Mediterranean or Middle Eastern-looking type."

http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2002/598/li1.htm

Ayazid
Member # 2768

Rate Member
DubaiDoctor
are you Arab? Do you agree with me that these people are typical Egyptians and they have some features which distinguish them from other Arabs like the shape of face and nose?
http://www.pbase.com/weirdrob/friends
http://www.mun.neu.edu/egypt2003/images/068o%20Kids%20in%20rug%20school.JPG
http://www.mun.neu.edu/egypt2003/images/068l%20Kids%20in%20rug%20school.JPG
http://www.mun.neu.edu/egypt2003/images/295%20Karim%20on%20the%20felucca.JPG
http://www.mun.neu.edu/egypt2003/images/216%20Street%20of%20the%20Tentmakers.JPG
http://www.mun.neu.edu/egypt2003/images/307%20Karim,%20Busi,%20Lauren%20on%20the%

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The arabic word for black is Aswad. You are correct that Egyptians refer to themselves as Asmar or Samarra for really dark brown Sa3eadi people like myself. Generally,Egyptians refer to themselves as wheat colored meaning qahmy. There is also a tedency in Egypt to describe even a darker skinned Egyptians from regions like Saeed with an epitaph that is somewhat lighter than his/her actual skin tone.

I understand that America has such a different classification when it comes to blackness. The system is different from both traditional Western African observation and Egyptians ones. In Western Africa people who are slightly lighter than them or a light skinned black person is reffered to as ''red'' or even sometimes ''white''. This often happens to tribes like the Fulani people and Tuaregs. Sometimes the Fulani are even lighter than most Egyptians,but in America both the Tuareg,Fulani,and even some Egyptians would be ''black'' This is important to note when consulting folk classifications like the ones mentioned.

Egyptians also have a system that sets them apart from some Arab groups. The word Shamy is often used to denote Arabs from Syria,and the word Sheiko Shamy is also used. Meneghiroo shamy is an expression used to distinguish from Syrian Arabs by their nose.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thought
Member # 4108

Rate Member
[QUOTE]Originally posted by DubaiDoctor:

Again you apply American classification on Egyptians.

Thought Writes:

And again, we are using a forum that communicates via the English language and the associated somatic and cultural norms. When in Rome do as the Romans.

Thought
Member # 4108

Rate Member
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ausar:
In Western Africa people who are slightly lighter than them or a light skinned black person is reffered to as ''red'' or even sometimes ''white''. This often happens to tribes like the Fulani people and Tuaregs.

Thought Writes:

One also have to be cognizant of the effects of European colonial values and beliefs on native Africans.

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Thought,this is not true that the color classification came after colonization. The igbo people even prior to colonization had a word for lighter skinned individuals amungst themselves,and so do the Japanese in Japan.

DubaiDoctor
Member # 4045

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DubaiDoctor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look it is a big world and we don't have to do things your way. I am trying to explain things to you. If you wanted to understand our Color classifcation we have to explain our terms. The Ameican racial classification is so screwed up. Could explain to me why a German who migrate to USA is classified racially as a Caucassian while another german who moves to Argentina and than to USA becomes racially a Hispanic. I don't think you'll be asked about your race where ever you go except in the USA.

Like wise This is a forum about egypt so get used to egyptian classification and When in Rome do as the Romans

quote:

Again you apply American classification on Egyptians.

Thought Writes:

And again, we are using a forum that communicates via the English language and the associated somatic and cultural norms. When in Rome do as the Romans.

Posts: 77 | From: Dubai UAE | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thought
Member # 4108

Rate Member
[B] Thought,this is not true that the color classification came after colonization. The igbo people even prior to colonization had a word for lighter skinned individuals amungst themselves,and so do the Japanese in Japan.

Thought Writes:

I am not claiming that color differences came after colonization. What I am saying is that we have to be carefull especially given the FACT that European colonists created many superficial divisions among African people and facilitated the Hamitic concept in Africa. I can't imagine that Fulani and Tuareg REALLY thought of themselves as white. If so what did they call the Spanish Muslims that visited Timbucktoo or Gao?

Thought
Member # 4108

Rate Member
[B]Look it is a big world and we don't have to do things your way.

Thought Writes:

You don't have to do ANYTHING my way, but in this country you are forced to accept the standard social classifications when communicating.

Thought
Member # 4108

Rate Member
If you wanted to understand our Color classifcation we have to explain our terms.

Thought Writes:

I don't mind learning about modern Egyptian classifications, but this has little to do with Ancient Egypt.

Thought
Member # 4108

Rate Member

The Ameican racial classification is so screwed up. Could explain to me why a German who migrate to USA is classified racially as a Caucassian while another german who moves to Argentina and than to USA becomes racially a Hispanic.

Thought Writes:

Because Hispanic is an "ethnicity", not a "race".

Thought
Member # 4108

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by DubaiDoctor:

Like wise This is a forum about egypt so get used to egyptian classification and When in Rome do as the Romans [/B]

Thought Writes:

Actually, this forum is about Ancient Egypt. The issue of who the Ancient Egyptians were similar to in a phenotypic and cultural sense has relevence in that Ancient Egypt was an African melting pot. Of course after the Middle Kingdom there were many invasions from foreign Eurasians as evidenced by the diversity now found in Modern Egypt.

Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horemheb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it is clear from on going studies that AE was a med. power and looked to the middle east. Immigration was clearly a factor both from the south and from mesopotamia and the entire near east. The cacuasian nature of its leadership through most dynasties. The show 'Greatest Pharoahs ' noted the other day on the science channel that Seti I was red headed. Red was his natural hair color....
In summation we can say thet AE is a melting pot, as are most places in the world, but more closely resembled the Greeks and other southern Europeans in culture.

Posts: 5822 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
One problem with your theory about Greece and Egypt is that women in ancient Egyptians had more rights. When Greeks came to Egypt around 300 AD the Greek women often chose to be tried in the Egyptian court system[see Alan K. Bowman Egypt of the Pharoahs] Egyptians and Greeks were so different in culture that in Alexzandria Egyptians chose to live in ghetto like conditions in a predominatley Greece city.

Most early pharoahs came from the South from modern day regions like El Kab,Luxor,Abydos and other regions. Most these areas today are predominatley African in apperance despite what you believe. The 12,17,and 18 dyansty all had Nubian origins.[Frank Yurco,Kent R. Weeks and Edward Went in X-Raying the Pharoahs citing Sir Grafton Smith] Even top Egyptologist Kent R. Weeks in his book X-Raying of the Pharoahs admit this much.

The fact that Seti or Rameses II have red hair means very little since both of these people are of non-royal ancestry with little connection to the glory of the 18th dyansty. Rames I father you forget was a general in the Egyptian army that possibly had his roots in Libyan mercenaries or with Near-Eastern Hykos that settled in the Eastern Delta.

Even if what you say is true,I wonder why they can determine such mummies had red hair since Seti's mummy has absolutley no hair on it. Not to mention that Rameses II hair was grey on his mummy. I have read some repors that hair specialist using microscopic analaysis have found Rames II to be red;however this does not mean the entire populationb of Egypt was like this. Kent R. Weeks points out on the PBS website that ''red hair'' was rare.

The people who generally had red hair in Egypt were the Imazghen[Libyan Berbers] known as the Tamahou.

By the way,here are some things Greece did not have that Egypt did.

1. Circumcision rites for boys who reached puberty. Similar to many traditional African soceities[more details see Theodore Celenko Egypt in Afrca]

2.Divine kingship or the concept of the rain-maker king[Cyril Aldred points this out in his book. Previously it was pointed out in Henri Frankfort's books as well]

3. No stratified nation-state or equivalent to polis[ Egypt was never a nation state nor a civlization with cities. Most Egyptian soceity differed from the Eastern Mediterranean and Southern European lifestyle in this reguard]

4.Any similarities in Egyptian and Greek culture simply means that Greeks adopted it,or that Egyptians taught them it. The case in point is the proto-doric at Saqqura and kuros vases that go back to Minoan times.

5. ancestor whorship and communicating with the ancestors via. Letters to the dead has no equivalent in neither Mediterranean world nor the Near East.

6. Greece nor the Near East have no concepts as the Ba,Ka,Khu,and Ren. In both African and ancient Egyptian soceities the name was important and the shawdow was an extension of the soul of a person.

7. Middle East is a meaningless geographical term that was coined by British Orientalist. Early Natufian hunters in modern Palestine have African features like Alveolar prognathism. This is typically a negriod trait. Larry Angel,a leading bio-anthropologist from the Smithstonian,found the following in early burials.

8. The so-called features of narrow noses in Egypt or on Egyptians can be explained through a hot-dry climatic condition. Not through intermixing with people from Western Asia!!

Thought
Member # 4108

Rate Member
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Horemheb:
[B]I think it is clear from on going studies that AE was a med. power and looked to the middle east.

Thought Writes:

Actually, Egyptian civilization began in the south not along the mediteranean climactic zone. Of course later in Egyptian history many parts of Eurasia were indeed colonized by these Africans.

Thought
Member # 4108

Rate Member
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Horemheb:
Immigration was clearly a factor both from the south and from mesopotamia and the entire near east. The cacuasian nature of its leadership through most dynasties.

Thought Writes:

No mainstream scholar supports migration from the Egyptian contemporary - Mesopatamia.
You are correct however in stating that there was immigration from the Near East. These periods seem to correspond with the cultural ebbs in Egyptian history.

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Some sugest that migration might have occured early in the Urak period in the Delta region. We have remins of a Urak like temple in the region of Buto. However,it appears early on that Upper Egyptian pottery becomes dominate as the gradual merging of the lands of Upper and Lower Egypt.

Early in the 12th Dyansty there is constant reference by Sinhue of a Marsh man[Delta man] feeling uncomfortable in Abu[Elephantine,modern day Aswan]. Wouldn't you agree these two areas might have formed a cultural distinct place by the First Intermediate period or perhaps earlier in the 8th dyansty? Keita points out citing Kent R. Weeks and Wente that early remains of Giza are much similar to the ones in Upper Egypt,but started gradually changing over the course of the First Intermediate period. Would you agree with this?

multisphinx
Member # 3595

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for multisphinx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this is just not right we got people like dubai boy who think they no everything about egypt, egyptian do not consider themselves no white and it is not part of no Middle East its a African country.Just becuse some people with money decided to label it as the middle east don't mean its true. People these days with money can do anythin as they please. If you were to look at egyptian (as my man ayzid posted some pics) u would see that Egyptian have a distictive look from any of the Arab countries we a have physical feature that can be used to distinguish us from any Arab(we are might have a few arabs but it does not make us arab decent)i agree their are some in the delta who are mediterranian look but that not all of Egypt i certainetly aint no white lookin boi. We might have arabs in the Delta region who know rule the country taking hold of the film industry only hiring the light skinned people. You know i will write a different day but u saying some stuff that Egyptians are related more to Europe (Homberb what ever ur name is )u are on crack. If u guys want the facts u should get ur facts from Ausur he seems to know what he is always takin about, bringing facts straight up.
Posts: 671 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thought
Member # 4108

Rate Member
[B] Some sugest that migration might have occured early in the Urak period in the Delta region. We have remins of a Urak like temple in the region of Buto.

Thought Writes:

Please provide your sources for this purposed MIGRATION?

I wouldn't be surprised that there were cultural exchanges between these two regions. It is of interest that Mesopatamian items are allways found in Egypt, while NO Egyptian items are found in Mesopatamia. The West African SLAVES that were brought to the Americas contributed to New World society. It is odd that civilizations that trade with each other would end up being a one way street. I am very curious about the history and spread of writing from Egypt to Mesopatamia. I am also interested in the spread of the Semetic language from Africa to this region.

Thought
Member # 4108

Rate Member

Keita points out citing Kent R. Weeks and Wente that early remains of Giza are much similar to the ones in Upper Egypt,but started gradually changing over the course of the First Intermediate period. Would you agree with this?

Thought Writes:

Please rephrase the statement above?????

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Thought,have you read the study by Keita entitled Further Studies of Crania from ancient Northern Africa:An Analysis of Crania from First Dynasty Egyptian Tombs American Journal of Physical Anthropology volume 87 Issue 3

He cites Kent R. Week and Wente on Old Kingdom remains found in Giza that match people from southern Upper Egypt.

He later mentions that these southern types became foreign over a period of time by the New Kingdom.

I never proposed a migration of Mesopotamian people into Egypt during the pre-dyanstic times. I just pointed out that there were Sumerian settlements in the Delta region in Egypt. In later periods there was clearly mixing in this region with Libyans,Caanites,and other Western Asian people that became absorbed in Egypt's Asian empire. Does this explain the situlation in the Tales of Sinhue where a Delta man could not understand a man from Abu[Elephantine]?

DubaiDoctor
Member # 4045

Rate Member
Why dpn't you put this through your head, We don't have to accept any of your classifications, esp when it is wrong. You are so redicilous; why didn't Martin Luther King JR accept the American social Classification. You statements are very arrogant. and by the way we are not in the USA
quote:
[B]Look it is a big world and we don't have to do things your way.

Thought Writes:

You don't have to do ANYTHING my way, but in this country you are forced to accept the standard social classifications when communicating.

DubaiDoctor
Member # 4045

Rate Member
This is halirious, I want to point out to you that the American racial classification has NOTHING to do with Ancient Egypt, so why do inject american racial debate into egyptian history.

Thought Writes:

I don't mind learning about modern Egyptian classifications, but this has little to do with Ancient Egypt.[/B][/QUOTE]

Linnet
Member # 3911

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Linnet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was DNA testing ever allowed by the Egyptian Government on King Tut?
I have just been reading articles about possible DNA testing of mummies, which would in turn help to identify the direct descendants
see

HISTORY OF DNA TESTING ON EGYPTIAN NEW KINGDOM ROYALS

by Charles Pope
http://dwij.org/forum/amarna/comments/popedna.html

Posts: 85 | From: London England | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DubaiDoctor
Member # 4045

Rate Member
You statement is very telling and typical, and this an evidence that modern egyptian has little to with Ancient egypt, but you blacks from north Africa are the true descendent of the Pharos. this sounds as ridiculos as an Eskmo or a Cherokee or a Mohawk claiming to have built the Enca cities of South America.

Leave Ancient egypt out of any racial classification. Most African Americans are from the Atlantic coast "West Africa". they have little to do with Ancient Egypt

Just leave this racial garbage out of AE. Egypt is located in north Africa and people are composed of various races and ethnic groups. But no Jessie Jackson has to find some great ancestors

Thought Writes:

I don't mind learning about modern Egyptian classifications, but this has little to do with Ancient Egypt.[/B][/QUOTE]

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Linnet, I hope you know that Dna has little to do with race,or even ethnicity. Most human beings on this planet have similar Dna structure but veriy in certain frequencies. Various tests have been done on mummies using ABO bloodtyping that have found that the ancient and modern population of Egypt is relatively the same as it was in pharoanic periods. The reason for the hesitation with Dr. Hawass was that he was nervous about a connection with Tut-ankh-amun and the ancient Hebrews. He felt if such link existed then this would arouse Zionist politics.

The testing of the Dna samples in mummies ia very hard due to the embalming process in ancient Egypt. Most mummy samples come from the teeth and from deep layers of skin that is less affected from the embalming process. The only other method would to take bone and grind it up to obtained the samples. This has been done and sequenced with ABO blood typing.

See the following:

We all know that we ought to have a card in our wallets noting our
blood groups,so that in an emergency a blood transfusion of the
correct blood can be given without delay. Of course the method of
classifying was only discovered comparatively recently,in
1900infact,so it is hardly suprising that the labels attached to
mummies' necks which we have mentioned make no reference to their
blood group. Nonetheless it is possible to deduce it from a muscle or
bone which has been dissolved into dust through a special process.
This requires relatively large fragments,weighing about a gram,and so
a different technique was invented by Connoly,who used an enlarging
method to analyse tiny amounts of dust from human tissue,and so type
the blood.
At first sight it is difficulat to see what interest such a study
could have,but two examples will soon show us that it has a pratical
applications. When Boyd studied serveral series of mummies,he found
that the blood groups A,B,and O recurred with very much the same
fequency in ancient Egypt as they do there today. Above all he was
able to confirm the pressence of group B blood in pre dyanstic
mummies,going back more than three thousand years before
Christ,wheras it had been thought group B was only a mutation of
group o which first apperaed durikng the christain era.
page 19-20
The Egyptian Way of Death
Ange Pierre Leaca

Ayazid
Member # 2768

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Ayazid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A living ancient Egyptian!!!

[This message has been edited by Ayazid (edited 09 August 2004).]

Linnet
Member # 3911

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Linnet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thankyou for your replies!
Posts: 85 | From: London England | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com