EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Latest scoops?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Latest scoops?
Artemi
Member # 3176

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Artemi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just heard the news directly from Dr. Z. H. today.
Tut's mummy will be moving from V of K's tomb to Cairo museum. Tut treasures exhibit to be in L.A. probably July 2005.
New addition to Luxor museum to open Tuesday...
Sohag cemetery to be moved for excavations...
New theory that intact burial of Khufu is still hidden elsewhere in the Great Pyramid (King's chamber only symbolic)...
Should've taken notes, but felt too conspicuous... Lots of "latest news"...

[This message has been edited by Artemi (edited 16 May 2004).]

Posts: 103 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris II
Member # 3079

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Osiris II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Artemi, I would be interested to know where you got the information you posted. I live in Long Beach, CA and read in the L.A. Times that there was discussion of the Tut exhibit coming to L.A., but no firm commitment by either the Egyptian government or the L.A. museum had been made at this time.
Also, that the possiblity of a hidden burial in the Great Pyramid was very unlikely, that soundings by sonar had eliminated the existence of any more rooms.
The Luxor museum is open.
I also read in the paper that a new national museum was being built, scheduled to open in 2007, at Giza, close to the pyramids. It will more than double the present display space that is in the Cairo Museum.
Unless your information comes from reliable source, I would be most catious in accepting such statements as fact.

Posts: 174 | From: Long Beach, CA U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemi
Member # 3176

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Artemi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Artemi, I would be interested to know where you got the information you posted. I live in Long Beach, CA and read in the L.A. Times that there was discussion of the Tut exhibit coming to L.A., but no firm commitment by either the Egyptian government or the L.A. museum had been made at this time.
Also, that the possiblity of a hidden burial in the Great Pyramid was very unlikely, that soundings by sonar had eliminated the existence of any more rooms.
The Luxor museum is open.
I also read in the paper that a new national museum was being built, scheduled to open in 2007, at Giza, close to the pyramids. It will more than double the present display space that is in the Cairo Museum.
Unless your information comes from reliable source, I would be most catious in accepting such statements as fact.

All the information I posted came directly from Dr. Zahi Hawass himself, in person, in public.
He gave a lecture at the L.A. County Museum of Art yesterday. I was in the front row (with his friends and associates), and also at the private reception given for him (and spoke briefly with him there as well).
A reporter from the L.A. Times was actually doing a follow up interview with him after the lecture.
Yes, the Luxor museum has been open for years. He was talking about the new museum extension that is scheduled to open this coming week.
I don't think the info could have come from a more verifiable source, and I did hear it firsthand, directly from the good Doctor himself!
BTW, he also spoke about the new museum planned for Giza - which will include an IMAX theater.

[This message has been edited by Artemi (edited 16 May 2004).]

Posts: 103 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris II
Member # 3079

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Osiris II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I stand corrected--almost. Dr. Hawass is well-know for his incautious statements. The subjects you posted are very interesting. If Hawass made those statements, I will believe them--until he is proved wrong.
Posts: 174 | From: Long Beach, CA U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com