EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Pictures from the Brooklyn Museum

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pictures from the Brooklyn Museum
neo*geo
Member # 3466

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for neo*geo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just visited the Brooklyn Museum of Antiquities in NYC this past weekend. The exhiibit on ancient Egypt was surprisingly large and very informative. I took many pictures in spite of the museum employees asking me not to use my flash in the building. Here are some of the pics. Enjoy!

Posts: 887 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kem-Au
Member # 1820

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kem-Au     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neo, that was a great exibit. I'd also suggest checking out the Metropolitan Museum of Art. The display there is just as good. I'd suggest anyone that can go check out an exibit. Pics just don't do them justice.
Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo*geo
Member # 3466

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for neo*geo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More pics. These I took with black and white film:

Posts: 887 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemi
Member # 3176

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Artemi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice! Can you give us any background on the pieces?
Posts: 103 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
homeylu
Member # 4430

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for homeylu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm visiting NYC on the 15th of next month, can anyone give me directions to this museum or any others that have an ongoing AE echibition. I've seen exhibits at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts several years ago and would like to see some recent exhibitions.
Posts: 747 | From: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunstorm2004
Member # 3932

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunstorm2004     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget the obelisk in Central Park. Really impressive in person... Right near the museum, too.
http://www.centralparknyc.org/virtualpark/thegreatlawn/obelisk

Posts: 237 | From: New York, NY, USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
homeylu
Member # 4430

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for homeylu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks sunstorm :-), I'll be sure to check it out.
Posts: 747 | From: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
supercar
unregistered

Icon 9 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All well and good, but I find it disheartening that the Egyptian governments have sold these priceless items, that deserve to be in their native place. I doubt one would find American or other Western artifacts in Egypt or elswhere than their homeland. They know better!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The obeliske[Teken] in Central park is of Thothmoses III,and is wrongly called Cleopatra's needle. Many obeliskes exist across Europe and in other parts of America.
Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris II
Member # 3079

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Osiris II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Supercar, these items probably were not sold by the Egyptian Government.
When an expedition does excaving and there is a find", especially if there are multiple items, the SCA (Supreme Council of Archaeology) divides the items, taking their choice for the Cairo Museum and letting the excavor and his team keep the rest. Because most digs are financed by Universities, the items given usually wind up in museums.
Concerning the obelisk, it was a gift of the then-ruler of Egypt to the American government.

Posts: 174 | From: Long Beach, CA U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
supercar
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Osiris II:
Supercar, these items probably were not sold by the Egyptian Government.
When an expedition does excaving and there is a find", especially if there are multiple items, the SCA (Supreme Council of Archaeology) divides the items, taking their choice for the Cairo Museum and letting the excavor and his team keep the rest. Because most digs are financed by Universities, the items given usually wind up in museums.
Concerning the obelisk, it was a gift of the then-ruler of Egypt to the American government.

Nevertheless, it doesn't mean that it is right for these objects to be spirited out of their homeland. These objects were found in Egypt for a reason, and not in Europe, America, or elsewhere. The creators of these artifacts, were in all likelihood hoping that their items would be left alone where they kept them for "After-life". The exporting of these artifacts, whether sold or not, does injustice to the intentions of the creators of these items. If items were placed in the Cairo museum, it wouldn't be as bad, because they are still within the native land of people who created them! This should have some historical significance. What I am basically saying is that, just because these items belong to "ancient" people, doesn't mean we should be insensitive to them. Moreover, the fact that they were found in Egypt, should place more importance on the items not being too far away from their discovery site! So it makes sense both "out-of-respect" of the creators of the items, and from the historical studies standpoint, to leave these items in their native land. I've heard of some Egyptian Mummies being kept overseas "permanently". What is clearly wrong with this picture? I doubt most Americans would appreciate their priceless historical artifacts, which is also part of their heritage, to be permanently based in some distant land for tourist purposes!

homeylu
Member # 4430

Rate Member
Supercar I understand what you're saying, but on the otherhand, had it not been for some of these excavations, we wouldn't have much of the knowledge we have of AE today. And these excavations are "financed" with an expected return on investment. And most of the financing was by interested Foreign parties. And some of these exhibitions bring in tons of money, while at the same time bringing a historical element to a community that my not otherwise be able to go to Egypt, itself, to view them. I hope to visit Egypt someday, but meanwhile, my closest experience will have to be from Egypt coming to me in the form of exhibitions.
supercar
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by homeylu:
Supercar I understand what you're saying, but on the otherhand, had it not been for some of these excavations, we wouldn't have much of the knowledge we have of AE today. And these excavations are "financed" with an expected return on investment. And most of the financing was by interested Foreign parties. And some of these exhibitions bring in tons of money, while at the same time bringing a historical element to a community that my not otherwise be able to go to Egypt, itself, to view them. I hope to visit Egypt someday, but meanwhile, my closest experience will have to be from Egypt coming to me in the form of exhibitions.

As American, I can certainly see your point of view. Like you stated earlier, one also has to look at it from the point of view of people who invested in the escavations. But I think people also have to see it from the Egyptians' point view. Homeylu, honestly, how would you feel, when you know that there is some priceless American artifact in let's say Ethiopia, but you can't afford to go over there and look at it? Then what? Who deserves to see it and who doesn't? That is why I resent the profit system that goes with these escavations. It usually means people have to give and take, and in the context of historical heritage, this means that people are giving away part of their heritage, which is a hard thing to do! Do you think that no matter how much an outsider loves American heritage, his/her desire is going outweight yours? Think about it. But you are right, in that others should get a chance to experience another history, especially if it is one that they can connect to. You are also right that the one who invests, should get something in return. As such, I guess one just has to accept what it is!

homeylu
Member # 4430

Rate Member
I'm in NYC, and visited the Metropolitan museum yesterday, and I must say that they have one of the best AE exhibitions that I've ever seen in the states. It's a a very impressive ongoing exhibition if anyone is ever in the city, you should check it out.
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by homeylu:
But I think people also have to see it from the Egyptians' point view. Homeylu, honestly, how would you feel, when you know that there is some priceless American artifact in let's say Ethiopia, but you can't afford to go over there and look at it? Then what? Who deserves to see it and who doesn't?

Therein lies Egyptology's underlying conflict of interest. There is a built in bias that effectively seeks to justify the pan-European colonialist approach, whereby ancient Kemet becomes, defacto, a historical province of Europe. How else to justify the money spent, unless there is some "return" on the investment?

Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com