EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » AE religious traditions with corresponding Abrahamic traditions?...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: AE religious traditions with corresponding Abrahamic traditions?...
sunstorm2004
Member # 3932

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunstorm2004     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In another thread, ausar wrote: >>The more I study about what spirtual poratices my ancestors had the more I relize how the Abrahamic faiths are nothing but pale rip offs. <<

I agree, there seem to be a few notable precedents in the Kemetan spiritual system that are reflected in Abrahamic religions. Off the top of my head I made a list below.

...But what others are there? For us less sophisticated egyptologists, can you guys extend the list? What Kemetan traditions would you be inclined to say are reflected in "modern" religions?...

My list:

-- The idea of a god that metes out judgement on the dead (ausar), & holds the keys to "heaven"

-- The taboo against pork & scavenger fish...

-- The association of the "devil" with the color red

-- The classic image of Mary & the baby Jesus (based on similar images of Auset & Heru)...

-- The emphasis on prayer to the east (i.e. the direction of the rebirth of the orb...)

??

Posts: 237 | From: New York, NY, USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
---Alams and charity as in the form of Zakat in Islam already existed in pre-Islamic ancient Egyptian traditions.

---The concept of excepting Ausar promised eternity well before the coming of Christ.

---- Many passages from the Wisdom texts in Kmt reflect a similarity with Songs of Solomon,Psalms,and many other passages. See Akenaten's Hymn to Aten and Psalms 104 for a correlation

-------The Negative Confessions of Maat are recited at Judgement where the heart is weighed of the scale of Maat. The Negative confessions have simialrity to the Ten Commandments.

----In Kemetian belief system Khnum of Abu[Elephantine] made man out of clay. Similar accounts across cultures exist also

I will come up with more as time progresses.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thought2
Member # 4256

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thought2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was a book out a few years back there was a book out called "The Afro-Asiatic roots of Judaism" by a gentleman named Greenburg I believe?
Posts: 2720 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunstorm2004
Member # 3932

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunstorm2004     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One more:

-- Explicit proscription against homosexuality (in the negative confessions)

--

Personally, I wonder if there's some remote connection between the old testament story of Esau & Yakub and the story of Ausar & Set, given that Esau is described as being red, hairy, & tempestuous -- aspects, if I'm not mistaken, were associated with Set...

Thought2, I tried finding the book you mention on the web & on Amazon, & all I found was Black Athena (which is subtitled "The Afro Asiatic Roots of Classical Civilization"...)

Posts: 237 | From: New York, NY, USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
- Explicit proscription against homosexuality (in the negative confessions

Well,actually the Negative confessions does not ban people from the Field of Reeds for homosexuality,but pediastry was a definite way to get banned from the Fields of Reeds. Not positive homosexuality existed on a wide scale but definatley it probabaly did exist. Probabaly it was also frowned upon. Pediofila was definatley frowned upon.

quote:
Personally, I wonder if there's some remote connection between the old testament story of Esau & Yakub and the story of Ausar & Set, given that Esau is described as being red, hairy, & tempestuous -- aspects, if I'm not mistaken, were associated with Set

The red representation of Set applied to the desert sand from the eastern desert. Set represented chasos[Isforet] against Maat[balance] Set was not always a danger,but during pre-dyanstic times was a positive force that slew the serpent Apep.Only later during the Hykos era when he became identified with a strom deity did he become a hostile force.

I do see parallels between the Kemetian story of the Tale of Two Brothers and the Biblical stories of Cane and Able.

quote:
Thought2, I tried finding the book you mention on the web & on Amazon, & all I found was Black Athena (which is subtitled "The Afro Asiatic Roots of Classical Civilization"...)

I believe the title to the book he is speaking of is The Moses Mystery: The African origins of the Jewish People By Gary Greenberg. I believe the author is the head of the Biblical Archaeology department.

[This message has been edited by ausar (edited 21 June 2004).]

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunstorm2004
Member # 3932

Rate Member
>>Set was not always a danger,but during pre-dyanstic times was a positive force that slew the serpent Apep.<<

I've also read that Set, at some point, came to be associated with Apep, like -- a confederate of Apep. Have you ever heard of that?

>>Well,actually the Negative confessions does not ban people from the Field of Reeds for homosexuality,<<

One account of the negative confessions from a book I came across at Barnes & Noble reads specifically, "I have not committed homosexuality." Are there different versions of the negative confessions, or are they uniform, like the 10 commandments?

>>I do see parallels between the Kemetian story of the Tale of Two Brothers and the Biblical stories of Cane and Able.<<

That's interesting. Okay, what parallels do you see?

The story of Esau/Yakub & Ausar/Set (Sektmet?) aren't all that similar, but the similarities are interesting: Esau & Yakub are brothers like Ausar & Set; Esau is red & hairy & the "antagonist" (aspects associated with Set); and the two ultimately come into conflict over a "birthright" of a sort.

Given other similarities between the Kemetan belief system & that of the Israelites, I find the Esau/Yakub story intriguing...

[This message has been edited by sunstorm2004 (edited 22 June 2004).]

sunstorm2004
Member # 3932

Rate Member
>>Maat[balance]<<

As you can probably tell, I'm a relative beginner in Egyptology -- but one thing I've read everywhere is that Maat = order. I like "balance" better, but I'm curious: is "Maat = order" a gross misinterpretation?

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Same difference. Balance and order are fairly the same concept. All Negative confesions were fairly the same with different texts containing spells to make it though the underworld.

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Maat represented both principles. My advice to you is to start reading olders books on Egyptology to modern ones. I read both mainstream books and non-mainstream books about Egyptology. We can't either views out and both help us understand AE soceity out more.

homeylu
Member # 4430

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for homeylu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originally posted by Sunstorm2004
In another thread, ausar wrote: >>The more I study about what spirtual poratices my ancestors had the more I relize how the Abrahamic faiths are nothing but pale rip offs. <<

He wrote in another post that there was "no evidence that Abraham existed" and the Bible is a book of "folklore", and was adamant about there being "no evidence of Hebrew people ever being in Egypt". So I sure as hell would like to know how he came to conclusion that there was a "rip-off". SMH at how people in these posts constantly contradict themselves.

Originally posted by sunstorm2004
I agree, there seem to be a few notable precedents in the Kemetan spiritual system that are reflected in Abrahamic religions.

I also agree, that they borrowed these traditions after having spent an extended length of time in Egypt before finally settling in Canaan. Regardless of what anyone says about "no evidence of an exodus". The evidence is in all the practices that resemble AE religious practices. As I have never read any accounts of the AE involved in any sort of missionary work and spreading their beliefs to other countries. And even if the Israelites were "insignificant" to the Egyptians, on the contrary, the Egyptians were obviously very influential to the Hebrews, as there is no other country in the world mentioned more times in the Bible than Egypt. 736 times to be exact!!

Posts: 747 | From: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com