EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Interesting book on the priesthood and temple rituals

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Interesting book on the priesthood and temple rituals
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gods, Priests And Men" subtitled: Studies
in the Religion of Pharaonic Egypt by Aylward M.
Blackman.
Gods, Priests and Men
Studies in the Religion of Pharaonic Egypt

Aylward M. BlackmanCompiled and edited by Alan B. Lloyd

This book brings together, for the first time in a single volume, the significant works on ancient Egyptian religion by renowned Egyptologist Aylward M. Blackman (1883-1956). During his life, Blackman did not publish his writings in book form, placing them instead in a range of publications that are now difficult to obtain.

Section I discusses subjects including purification, salvation, sin, myth, and ritual. In Section II, such topics as the cult of the dead and the significance of incense and libations in funerary and temple ritual are covered. Section III includes explorations of priesthood, the hierarchical position of women, and worship. Finally, Section IV looks at topics including kinghood, communication between gods and men, and oracles.

Blackman's seminal studies of Egyptian religious belief and practice have long been regarded as essential readings on the subject, and Gods, Priests, and Men finally makes Blackman's classic writings available to a broad, general audience. A select bibliography provides an update and key to more recent work on topics discussed by Blackman.

About the Author

Alan B. Lloyd is professor of classics and ancient history at University College, Swansea.

For more information, please contact Customer Service. http://www.columbia.edu/cu/cup/catalog/data/071030/0710304129.HTM

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ozzy
Member # 2664

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ozzy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ausar, do you have any resources online that i could read by Blackman?

Ozzy

Posts: 448 | From: Australian living in Spain | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know of no online sources that are featured from Blackman. The only online resources I am familar are outdated texts by E.A. Wallis Budge. Other than that,I have no idea if such material exist. You might want to try Abuzu database. Abuzu might have something pertaining to the subject.

Just wanted to put Blackman's book out there to see if anybody on this forum had read it. Some chapters in the book are of interest to me because many describe survials of religious pratices by rural Egyptians.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cassia
Member # 4594

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for cassia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ausar, I've been ignoring my work and surfing this site for several hours straight now ...
On this topic I must say that you need to write a detailed book specifically about survivals of religious practices by rural Egyptians!
You need to get the book published.
I could help if you were interested in the N.A. market.
You must admit that this is alot of trouble just because I (for one want) to purchase it, but the alternative is that I'm going to pick your brain incessantly!
Hope you don't mind ...

Posts: 82 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cassia
Member # 4594

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cassia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We just gotta keep it in the under $50 price range ... you can write sequels ...
Posts: 82 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cassia,there is already a few books out there detailing survials from ancient times to modern times. One such books is called the Fellahin of Upper Egypt by Winifred S. Blackman,and the other is a book called The Egyptian Peasent by Henery Habib Aryout. The books Fellahin of Upper Egypt by Winifred S. Blackman can be purchased reasonably for about 24 dollars plus shipping on amazon.

cassia
Member # 4594

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cassia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2 books ... 2 measly little books? This is obviously not enough, given that you continue your research too!
I own about 65 books, FYI, though where possible, they concentrate on Bubastis and Bastt. Contemporary practices are an entirely new focus for me!
Think about it ... you already spend your life typing information ... and you are so much closer to the subject than me!
You could add Lonely Planet type phrases too.

[This message has been edited by cassia (edited 22 June 2004).]

Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ausar - your knowledge is immense and leaves me totally humbled.
Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cassia
Member # 4594

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for cassia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh gee, gosh, Ah wooo - don't make me blush!
(Red smilee is blushing, not angry, right?)

You could write a book too, Luxorlover ...
Besides, Ausar has already said that you would be better to answer some of my questions in the "Share your experiences/not of the book" forum.
But you haven't yet ... sniff.

I wish I could just walk out the door and be in downtown Luxor or Cairo - and offer to buy you a coffee (gahwa?) or something. Listening attentively in person is better!

Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Next time you are in Luxor - let me know. I'll buy you coffee and take you around all the places that I have learned to love.
Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
PS: Any questions that I can help with let me know on Lizasutton@hotmail.com I'm sorry if I missed any you asked. It is not like me to not answer - if anything I am usually in truble for sticking my spoke in unheralded.

I do not have Ausar's knowledge though - just a passionate interest.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com