EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Some Books I recommend about AE under Greco-Roman rule

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Some Books I recommend about AE under Greco-Roman rule
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Many times people forget about AE soceity once ther conquest of Alexander the Great wrestles Egypt from the Persians. What people miss out is the history of indigenous Upper Egyptians around the areas of Luxor[Thebes] who fought the Ptolomeys tooth and nail to keep their own independence. Even after many years the southern Upper Egyptian part was hard for the Ptolomeys to govern because of their resistence. During this time Upper Egypt was under independent rule with their own line of pharoahs. People say the last pharoah was dated to the 32 dyansty with Nectanebo II which is not reality. Even prior to his existence and later on there were pharoahs that ruled Upper and Lower Egypt. One during the Persian rule was named Khabbash[sp] that was formely regonized at Men-Nefer[Memphis] and managed to throw off the hgemony of the Persians.

When you study AE history don't just stop at the Ptolomeys or the Late period in Egypt. Study them all the way to the Arab invasion to learn the history of the indigenous Egyptian fellahin. It's truly a history that has been neglected due to great misunderstanding. The historical gap is confined to this area. Personally,I find this time period a hidden jewwel.

Anyway,here are some books I recommend:

Life in Egypt Under Roman Rule: Classics in Papyrology
Naphtali Lewis

Egypt After the Pharaohs: 332 Bc-Ad 642 from Alexander to the Arab Conquest
by Alan K. Bowman

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo*geo
Member # 3466

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for neo*geo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Ptolemies ruled Egypt for a long time. Their affect on the culture must have been very significant...
Posts: 887 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Ptolomeic rulership had little effect on the indigenous culture of the common Egyptian. Overall,many battles were fought in Upper Egypt to attempt to repell the Greco-Roman. Even material like the Demotic Chronicle and Potter's Oracle was circulated that told about earlier exploits. Egyptians during this time were second class citizens to the Ptolomeic overlords. No native Egyptians ever respected them,and infact native Egyptians during the Roman times were not even allowed to go into Alexzandria.

Read the books i presented will tell you all about AE soceity under the hegemony of the Ptolomies.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com