EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Tattoos in Ancient Egypt?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tattoos in Ancient Egypt?
sunstorm2004
Member # 3932

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunstorm2004     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen AE drawings of Asiatics with tattooed arms, but I've never seen a drawing of a Kemetan with a tattoo, nor read of a tattooed AE mummy. Does anyone know if AE people were tattooed, or was there a proscription?

I know there was a proscription against tattoos among the Israelites, carried forward to this day among modern Jews -- could this be yet another religious tradition with roots in Ancient Egypt?

Posts: 237 | From: New York, NY, USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scarification was quite common in Egypt. During the 11th dyanasty there are pictures of a tato lady in Kmt known as Kemsit. She was the wife of Menuhotep II I believe. In Modern Kmt[Egypt] the fellahin have tatoes and scarification. Modern Nubians also gash their cheeks.

Libyans in AE are also shown with assorted tatoes.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo*geo
Member # 3466

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for neo*geo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always thought tattoos were something the egyptians associated with barbarism...
Posts: 887 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where did you read that,neo-geo?

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo*geo
Member # 3466

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for neo*geo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:
Where did you read that,neo-geo?

Libyans and Nubians were sometimes depicted with tattoos and weird piercings. They were supposed to represent barbarians. Like the Tamou image from Ramses III's tomb...

Posts: 887 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris II
Member # 3079

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Osiris II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On Archaeology magaine's web-site, (www.archaeology.org) you can read about an on-going dig at Hierkonpolis. Tattooing is referred to in the article.
The cemetary being dug was mainly Nubian. Evidently, with these people at least, tattooing was thought to be personal adornment.
It's a very interesting site--not only do they have articles relating to digs in Egypt, you can read about on-going excavations elsewhere.

Posts: 174 | From: Long Beach, CA U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Tattooing was found in pre-dyanstic burials going far back in time.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com