EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » A Man and His Ba

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A Man and His Ba
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A text written about the 9th-10 dyansty. The text is supposed to be a dialogue between a man's soul who tries to convince the man of not comitting suicide. Anybody have any more details about this story?
Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunstorm2004
Member # 3932

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunstorm2004     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read that one in a book at B&N. Title was "The Mammoth Book of Eyewitness Ancient Egypt", I think...

[This message has been edited by sunstorm2004 (edited 29 June 2004).]

Posts: 237 | From: New York, NY, USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cassia
Member # 4594

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cassia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got this story repeated in a couple books ... I can immediately put my fingers on:

"The Literature of Ancient Egypt", edited & with translations from William Kelly Simpson, R.O. Faulkner, Edward F. Wente Jr., William Kelly Simpson, Yale U Press
(Part III, Instructions, Lamentations & Dialogues, titled "The Man Who Was Tired of Life", p. 201 - 210.)

"Ancient Egyptian Literature, Volume 1: The Old and Middle Kingdoms", Miriam Lichtheim, U of California Press.
(Part III, the Middle Kingdom, Section III, Didactic Literature, titled "Dispute between a man and his Ba, p. 163 - 169.)

What is it that you want to know, Ausar?

Posts: 82 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just wanted to discuss the text if possible. I found the best translation in AE literature was Arnold Lorpenio.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cassia
Member # 4594

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cassia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Arnold Lorpenio ...
Is that name spelled correctly? It doesn't show up in any Google or book search over here, anyway.

Posts: 82 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The correct spelling of the name is Antonio Loprieno. Sorry for the misspelling of his name. He wrote a translation of some AE texts.

cassia
Member # 4594

Rate Member
Found him ... wow!
(He's listed as authoring 2 books ...)
Wow -
because the book would cost $313 Canadian which my currency converter translates to $1,470.37 Egyptian pounds,
which means you either have a marvelous university library or ... do they have lotteries in Egypt?

I tend to wait for sales, and/or books with damaged covers, because a slightly torn jacket can net a 40% discount - which means more books!
Have you ever checked out the site below?
(They don't have everything all the time, but they're worth a monthly browse!)
http://www.oxbowbooks.com/

Oops, hooked, gotta go browse now ...

Before I go, how reliable is the Egyptian mail service really?

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Usually I obtain books from Interlibrary loan.

All I know is that shipping and handling through amazon costs an arm and leg.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com