EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » The ancient Kemetian views of Set

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The ancient Kemetian views of Set
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Greek sources,the god Set, stilized into the archenemy by the hate rituals,is linked with the Jews. In chapter 31 of his De Inside et Osiride, Plutarch quotes a source that calles Set the tribal father of Jews. After being driven out of Egypt,Set fleed for seven days and then,once safe beget his sons Hierosolyma and Juda. As we have seen the figure of Set personifies Egyptian fears of the deadly power of the desert ,of the destructive fury of the Asiatic invaders and of the religious enemy who slaughters sacred animals and trampels over the religious mysteries. A demotic phoecy from the Roman period interprets incidences of diaster and disorder as manifestations of Set. This text also links the figure of Set to the jews. Isis[Auset] appears as the adversary of Set and the Jews,who are designated as ''law breakers driven out of by the command of Auet'' ''Attack the Jews the text continues.'' for godless men will plunder your temple within it'' Let no magician preform his rites there. Its gates open not to the unauthorized.

page 395

The Mind of Egypt
History and Meaning in the Time of the Pharaohs

Jan Assmann
Translated by Andrew Jenkins

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunstorm2004
Member # 3932

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunstorm2004     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's interesting, considering that "Seth" or "Xeth" is a common name among modern Jews.

Seth:
Hebrew: A biblical name meaning the appointed one. One of the sons of Adam and Eve.

It's also interesting given the biblical story of the Exodus.

Anyone know the etymology of AE's "Set"?

[This message has been edited by sunstorm2004 (edited 01 July 2004).]

Posts: 237 | From: New York, NY, USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cassia
Member # 4594

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cassia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ausar wrote ...
"In Greek sources ... Plutarch quotes ... . A demotic phoecy from the Roman period ..."

Ausar ...
You know that the Romans had their own agenda, and you know the Romans placed attributes on Kemetic divinity that the Egyptians never ever did, that the Romans were even further removed in time, culture, philosophy and theology than the Greeks were ... remember; these people decided that Auset was a moon goddess. The Romans waged some significantly bloody battles over control of Jerusalem.

You must know that Set was originally not "evil" per se - he personified a distinct natural force - and was seen by the *actual real* AE authors as "living in Ma'at", spearheading the nightly quest to destroy the Apep serpent. Apep is total destruction and chaos. The references fill many books.

Can you find a single source from anything earlier than the 26th dynasty attributing Set with "the Asiatic invaders and of the religious enemy who slaughters sacred animals and trampels over the religious mysteries"? I don't think anyone in AE even wrote such things in relation to the Hyksos! After all, several properly Egyptian post-Hyksos pharaophs used Set as their tutelary God. Heck, one of Ramses' continguents on the march into (now) Isreal flew the banner of Set! (And they won.)

The last thing that Isreal needs is more "divine & prophetic writing" attaching any importance to them!!! "Divine & prophetic writing" is how they managed to grab the country in the first place!!! "Divine & prophetic writing" is what they use as a base of power. It must be removed from ALL dialogue regarding them, so that they can be seen for what they are. Please don't use Roman writing to put words in the mouths of Kemetic Gods. Don't inadvertently add to Isrealie power.

It would be enough to say that Isreal lives "outside Ma'at". Then, if you actually had faith in Kemetic deities, you would find deities like Set all ready to march against them again.

So don't do that.

Posts: 82 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cassia
Member # 4594

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cassia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey - I just noticed -
you entitled this thread " The ancient ***Kemetian*** views of Set" and then ignored all things Kemetic to quote Greeks and Romans?

(Should I review what you wrote in other threads and quote your opinions of Greek and Roman writing back at you?)

Oh Ausar, I'm so disappointed.

Posts: 82 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem is cassai is where I live not many Egyptology books exist. Actually,Set was never an evil nteru I know,but at times he went to represent a Libyan deity named Ash. He represented the chasos of the desert[isofret] vs. Maat[Balance]. He was neither good nor evil but more of what we would call a trickster.

Later on his pressence became more menacing when the much hated Hykos attached him to their very own deity. Set after this lost his prominence as being a valued neteru.

I agree with you about using Greco-Roman texts but this is ultimatley the only acess to Egyptology books I have. Jan Assman is not my first choice.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com