EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » More Words From the Mouth of Kemet

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: More Words From the Mouth of Kemet
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wally   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Moudu Moudu" or more words from the mouth of Kemet, from the serious to the not so serious...
(Some of you may already be familiar with a few of these.)

Ta Nter
God's Land/"the Holy Land"; East Africa (modern Somalia, Ethiopia, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, and Mozambique)

Napy
A lock of Kemetian hair; the pre-pubescent hair lock, typical of African cultures

Wow
a casket

Up
Joy, gladness

Urot
to rest, be motionless

Sen Sen
Smell, odor

Beg
to cry out; helpless one, tired, weary

Bega
Cry, weeping, groaning

It is also curious that several African peoples/places have the same or similar names to Kemetian royal or 'noble' nouns...

Fanti - a name of Thoth
Fanti - a Ghanaian ethnic group

Shanti - leader, chief, at the forefront
Ashanti - a Ghanaian ethnic group

Hosu - one to whom grace and favor have been shown by Osiris
Hosa - a singing god
Hausa - a Niger/Nigerian ethnic group

Tutsi - "all of us"; a community; wa_Tutsi = "one of this community" and ba_Tutsi = "all of this community"
Tutsi - a Rwanda/Burundi ethnic group; also described as Watutsi (one Tutsi) and Batutsi (all the Tutsi people)

Akan - a protector of the dead
Akan - a Ghanaian ethnic group

Oba - to captain or direct
Benin - a god of regeneration
The Oba of Benin - The title of the ruler, who centralized the kingdom of Benin, West Africa...

[

[This message has been edited by Wally (edited 09 July 2004).]

Posts: 3344 | From: Berkeley | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
supercar
unregistered

Icon 7 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The words speak for themselves. The thorough "Africanity" of Ancient Egypt is always overlooked. This is what made it a unique civilization. To imply that the culture was the product of some import, is to simply ignore the typical African life styles of Ancient Egyptians. It is even more sickening, when I hear some Egyptian Egyptologists (like Zahi Hawass) talk of Egypt as if it were a world on its own, and speak of Nubia and the rest of Africa, as African culture. The "words from the mouth of Kemet", and other traditions clearly reverberate throughout the continent, as you have shown with these words.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trexmaster
Member # 4812

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for trexmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate to break it to you, but while I am of the opinion that AE was an African culture, I don't think comparing similiar phrases proves cultural relations alone. Some words in Hawaiian are similiar to some in Greek, and English and Wolof have similar-sounding words as well...
Posts: 37 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keiko
Member # 4827

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keiko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by trexmaster:
I don't think comparing similiar phrases proves cultural relations alone.

I agree. Words are important but they don't mean everything. Although, it is interesting to see the similarities

Posts: 15 | From: Florida, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wally   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I hate to break it to you, but while I am of the opinion that AE was an African culture, I don't think comparing similiar phrases proves cultural relations alone. Some words in Hawaiian are similiar to some in Greek, and English and Wolof have similar-sounding words as well...

Just exactly what are you breaking to me? You have entirely missed the point. These Kemetian/African words are connected not because they sound similar but because they express a similar or same essence or ideology.
We can play this game all day long...
kem > black khem> burnt to black khem> a process of turning something black - so guess where the etymology of the word Khemistry comes from, huh...

The model I use is sorta like comparative linguistics, it's the same way you tell that Spanish and Portuguese are genetically related...

[This message has been edited by Wally (edited 22 July 2004).]

Posts: 3344 | From: Berkeley | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keiko
Member # 4827

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keiko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bah...now I'm getting confused and don't know what to think I think I'll agree because it does seem a little too similar for comfort. I hate it when I end up contradicting myself like this.
Posts: 15 | From: Florida, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
supercar
unregistered

Icon 4 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I agree with Wally, in that the idea here, is not to simply compare "similar-sounding" words, but words which are actually more or less the exact same words, with the same meaning. These words that are common among African languages can be traced back to the original Language from which the words were derived. In the case of Africans, the words must have come from the time people were still living the Saharan region, bringing along with them, languages to their new found locations. Of course trade with other cultures is going to influence some words in language, but in this case, emphasis is placed on words that originated within the continent and not from outside. These are the words Wally is looking at. So words from Wolof, various Egyptian dialects throughout the ages, the Mande language and so forth, with the same meanings and sounds can be traced back to one origin, which in this case, is Saharan Africa.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com