EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Okay -- so who has gone to Egypt?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Okay -- so who has gone to Egypt?
sunstorm2004
Member # 3932

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunstorm2004     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm just starting to plan my trip. I know there are plenty of threads about travel to Egypt on other parts of this site (and I'm going to consult them), but first I'm looking for opinions from people most interested in AE art & ruins.

I have 27 vacation days available & I want to spend anywhere from a week to 3 weeks in Egypt. Since I'm traveling on my own, I'll probably join a tour group. Besides the AE stuff, I'd like to maybe spend a little time on the shore. I'm as interested in nature as I am in Ancient Egypt. Definitely want to take a boat ride down the Nile as well. I'm a little interested in the nightlife, but not so much.

How will I best see the most stuff? What should I definitely not miss? Anyone have any experience with package tours? Where should I stay in order to see everything?

The one thing I don't want to do at all is get sick -- how do I best avoid that? Can I drink the water in Egypt?

Any insights appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Posts: 237 | From: New York, NY, USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris II
Member # 3079

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Osiris II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations! With a little preparation, you should have a wonderful trip. I've been in Egypt 3 times now, and every time it has been a grat experience. A few suggestions:
1. You may fined it more preferrable now,
with better security, to join with a
group, but I've always travelled
alone, and met some of the most
interesting people!
2. Don't drink the water! Use a filter,
which is what I used, re-filling several
bottles each night. If you feel that
is unacceptable, drink only bottled
water. Eat only fresh fruit that can
be peeled, such as bananas or oranges.
If you have any other, make sure it it
washed in filtered or purified water.
3. You mention a river-cruise. Take the
one--I think it is run by Shereton
Hotels, that runs between Aswan and
Luxor. It is really the height of
luxery! Watching the banks of the
Nile go by from the roof-top veranda,
tea-time, the great meals--wonderful!
4. I rented a car in Cairo and drove to
many Egyptological sites up and down
the Nile--you can't get lost--the
road only goes North or South!
Have a wonderful time. There's so very much to see and do, I can't possibly list everything. I think the biggest secret, especially if you decide to travel by yourself, is just to really enjoy yourself, revel in the delightful Egyptian people, and stand in awe of all the ruins you see!

[This message has been edited by Osiris II (edited 13 July 2004).]

Posts: 174 | From: Long Beach, CA U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kem-Au
Member # 1820

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kem-Au     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm jealous Osiris, but one serious question. How much did the whole trip cost you, air fair included?
Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris II
Member # 3079

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Osiris II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The value of the dollar, I am sure, has changed. But the last time I was there, including air fare from the West Coast, I spent about $3000 U. S. dollars. But you have to remember, too, that I stayed in less-than-first-class hotels in most areas--and was quite happy with all of them. I think the most memorial hotel was the Old Cateract in Aswan, which was build in the 1910 era. I had a room that had a balconey looking over Elephantine Island, and sitting having a martini, watching the boats on the Nile, plus the sunset was just like the pages torn from a best-selling travel magazine!
Posts: 174 | From: Long Beach, CA U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
homeylu
Member # 4430

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for homeylu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originally posted by Sunstorm
I'm just starting to plan my trip. I know there are plenty of threads about travel to Egypt on other parts of this site (and I'm going to consult them), but first I'm looking for opinions from people most interested in AE art & ruins.

Hi Sunstorm,
I'm planning a trip to Egypt as well. I was already advised not to go in the summer months because the heat is so unbearable that it drains all your energy from site seeing.

If I were you I would contact several travel agencies, and find the package that most fits your needs. I love cruises, so I'm figuring on a cruise, that will spend a day or 2 in Cairo (giza), cruise on down to Luxor, and finally to Aswan, so I'm figuring I can catch most of the sites in between. I heard it was not good to go during the islamic holy months either, because they are fasting, and it wasn't a good idea to drink in front of them.

Also I wouldn't suggest the visiting Egypt section of this site, unless you want 100 threads of advice on why should avoid Egyptian gigolos, lol, as if the local men are the only things worth visitng Egypt for.LMAO.

Osiris, how did you get to drive in Cairo. I was told by a travel agent, that you have to rent a driver with the car, because all the signs are written in Arabic, and you have to prove you can read Arabic before you are allowed to drive alone. Do you read arabic?

Posts: 747 | From: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris II
Member # 3079

Rate Member
I did not rent a driver with the car, but drove myself.
At the local AAA, in Long Beach, California you are able to get an International Drivers' License, which is good for 90 days. I speak just a smattering of Arabic, enough to get by driving. But be warned--driving in Cairo is an experience unto itself! Five minutes after renting a car, I had a little "fender-bender" of an accident. Nothing serious--in fact, we didn't even call the police to report it. Just a nerve jangler!

sunstorm2004
Member # 3932

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunstorm2004     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info guys.

Osiris wrote:

1. You may fined it more preferrable now,
with better security, to join with a
group,

I'll probably join a group, but actually I was thinking that joining a group might be as dangerous (or *more* dangerous) than traveling alone, seeing as a group of "western" tourists might make a tempting target, politically. As a black man, maybe I'm better off on my own?

One black American guy who'd been to Egypt laughed off my security concerns, saying "You have nothing to worry" (based on the fact that I'm black...)

Homeylu wrote:

I love cruises, so I'm figuring on a cruise, that will spend a day or 2 in Cairo (giza), cruise on down to Luxor, and finally to Aswan, so I'm figuring I can catch most of the sites in between.

That sounds like a good idea. Is it the kind of cruise in which you live on the boat (& skip the hotel costs)?

Posts: 237 | From: New York, NY, USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris II
Member # 3079

Rate Member
A cruise, in my opinion, is the ultimate way to see Egypt!
And yes, it is the type of cruise that supplies everything. There is no hotel cost, and it's the ultimate luxery to sit, sipping a martini in the shade of the varanda--usually on the roof--and watch the Nile banks drift by. I have nothing but praise for the excellent food and service of all!

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Osiris II,did you enjoy the Egyptian food or did it give you heart burn?
Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris II
Member # 3079

Rate Member
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ausar:
[B]Osiris II,did you enjoy the Egyptian food or did it give you heart burn?

I can honestly say that my stomach loved Egyptian food! At first, I was a bit hesitant about trying anything from the food vendor on the street--especially in Cairo. But eventually I tried everything--and loved it! And then on the cruise I took--I really treated myself to royal living! The chef had originally worked at one of the big hotels in Cairo--everything was so good!

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you try koshari? What about ful?

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com