EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Pharoahs mentioned in Exodus/Genisis

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pharoahs mentioned in Exodus/Genisis
Badboy
Member # 4665

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Badboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who do you think was pharoah in Moses time?

Is it true that Moses commanded an army invading Sudan?

That may have been what Josephus said he did.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Badboy:

Is it true that Moses commanded an army invading Sudan?

That may have been what Josephus said he did.

Ramses II.
I don't know, but I think it is possible that Moses ideas of monotheism come from Akenaten (the heretic pharoah). I think Moses spread this idea among the Hebrews who were originally polytheistic and began practising monothemism around 1200 BC (Akenaten 1375 to 1358 bc).

Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo*geo
Member # 3466

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for neo*geo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Badboy:

There is a lot of debate over this question because the bible never gives a name or a good description of the pharoah. I believe the only description in the bible is "the pharoah who didn't know Joseph."

If we are to believe the Exodus really happened as described in the bible it would make sense for it to have happened somewhere between the 16th and early 18th dynasty.

From the 14th to the 16th dynasty, the Hyksos ruled. Immigration of semitic people into Egypt was heavy during this time. With the change of ruling families from the 16th-18th dynasty, it makes sense that a person like Joseph would not be known to the new rulers. I've seen some timelines that place the Exodus in the time of Hatshepsut and Thutmose III.

Here's some background on the confusion about dating the Exodus... http://www.ancientdays.net/datingfiasco.htm

[This message has been edited by neo*geo (edited 14 July 2004).]

Posts: 887 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Badboy
Member # 4665

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Badboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by neo*geo:
There is a lot of debate over this question because the bible never gives a name or a good description of the pharoah. I believe the only description in the bible is "the pharoah who didn't know Joseph."

If we are to believe the Exodus really happened as described in the bible it would make sense for it to have happened somewhere between the 16th and early 18th dynasty.

From the 14th to the 16th dynasty, the Hyksos ruled. Immigration of semitic people into Egypt was heavy during this time. With the change of ruling families from the 16th-18th dynasty, it makes sense that a person like Joseph would not be known to the new rulers. I've seen some timelines that place the Exodus in the time of Hatshepsut and Thutmose III.

Here's some background on the confusion about dating the Exodus... http://www.ancientdays.net/datingfiasco.htm

[This message has been edited by neo*geo (edited 14 July 2004).]

Interestingly,it was during Tuthmosis 111 time that he invaded Sudan.

That suggests that his successor may have been the one who confronted Moses

Posts: 6 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
supercar
unregistered

Icon 4 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wouldn't put too much weight on the bible for historical facts! The bible fails to name the Paraoh, because it was supposedly written after the events it describes. Imagine the miraculous spliting of the water body, mentioned during the exodus!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com