EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » How did AE deal with criminals?...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How did AE deal with criminals?...
sunstorm2004
Member # 3932

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunstorm2004     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Put'em on the cross? Cut off a hand? Throw'em in prison?

How did AE deal with common criminals? Just curious... In the reading I've done, I haven't come across much info about this...

I think I read somewhere that executions weren't common...

Posts: 237 | From: New York, NY, USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It really depended upon the crime. Children or wives who killed their hubands were burned alive. In other times people's ears were cut off. Although,ancient Kemetians never had prisons,most of the prisoners were sent to the Oasis areas or to assorted mine areas.

Problem is that we don't have a formalized legal code and what legal cases AE had went on a trial basis. The supreme judge was the pharoah himself.

Goverment in Upper Egypt was usually done by a concil of elders though a system of a knebet.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
supercar
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:
It really depended upon the crime. Children or wives who killed their hubands were burned alive. In other times people's ears were cut off. Although,ancient Kemetians never had prisons,most of the prisoners were sent to the Oasis areas or to assorted mine areas.

Burning people alive or cutting ears off, is really extreme. It kind of puts a different light to the Kemetians, considering that most attention is paid to the more constructive aspects of Kemet.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Killing some one is an extreme crime in itself.Extreme measures for extreme crimes.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo*geo
Member # 3466

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for neo*geo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Criminal justice
Evidence

The Egyptian obsession for keeping records was often useful against criminals. One could not own slaves without registering them with the authorities. The problem for the judge was to discover the source of the money. A resident of Thebes, Ari-Nofer was asked: What do you say about the silver your husband Penhesi brought home? To which she replied: I did not see it. The question How were the slaves bought that were with him? she answered with I did not see the silver with which he paid their price. When he was on the way, they were with him. She explained the source of the silver which Penhesi left with Sobekmesef by saying I acquired it with the barley during the year of the hyaenas, when there was a famine. And no wrong-doing on her part could be proved.
Coercion

Beatings, certainly of common criminals, were a tried and proven way for eliciting if not the truth then at least a confession.
Amenpenofer, the grave robber, was beaten, and then he admitted to having committed further robberies, among them in the tomb of the Third Prophet of the God with four new associates.

The threat of a beating or mutilation were sometimes hoped to prevent false witness
Even witnesses not accused of any wrong-doing were at times beaten. Nesuamon, a priest, and Wenpehti, both sons of accused tomb robbers and at the time of the alleged crimes both children, were examined by beating with a rod and Wenpehti, who was merely a weaver, received a bastinado to his feet and hands [19].
Confession

The confession was the base for a conviction. Circumstantial evidence, witnesses and torture were means for achieving this confession. When the accused despite everything refused to confess, he was sometimes given the opportunity to have a witness speak in his favour, or as happened more rarely, he was released."

"In his edict Horemheb laid down some harsh penalties. Anybody guilty of preventing the free traffic on the Nile for instance was to have his nose cut off and be exiled to Tharu, called Rhinocolura by the Greeks for this reason, a town on the shores of the Mediterranean in the Sinai desert. The theft of hides was punishable by 100 blows and five open wounds. This was also the penalty for military men guilty of extortion from the common people. [10]
Seti tried to prevent officials from requesting illegal corvée work from the staff at his temple at Abydos and confiscating the trading goods from Nubia carried on the Nile. They were to be given 100 lashes, had to return the stolen goods and pay fines worth a hundred times the amount of their theft. Disfigurement, like the cutting off of ears, and enslavement were also imposed.

The conspirators against Ramses III were dealt with harshly. Some were executed, others forced to commit suicide and some were mutilated."
http://nefertiti.iwebland.com/law_and_order/index.html

Posts: 887 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn some things never change. Sounds much like the police today in Egypt. Incidents like El Kosheh come to mind when i read the following.

supercar
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:
Killing some one is an extreme crime in itself.Extreme measures for extreme crimes.

Boy, burning killers... I bet crime was at an all time low in Kemet, during that era!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com