EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » What early civilizations like Ancient Egypt do for various people in modern times!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What early civilizations like Ancient Egypt do for various people in modern times!
supercar
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What does early civilizations like AE do for people in modern times? Well, in ancient times, people of a nation preferred to deal with people of another nation as either their equal or source of inspiration. Others who lived with much less sophistication or otherwise viewed as “nation-less”, were looked down upon. For instance, the Greco-Romans viewed Egyptians as people they could deal with at a high level, while they looked upon Europeans to their North as barbarians. Nothing unusual about such phenomenon , even by modern trends. In ancient times, a Roman/Greek born person could go to Egypt, become Egyptian, and adopt Egyptian values, yet he/she would be treated with equal footing as any Egyptian within the same social status. Similarly, the Africans in ancient Greece well looked upon favorably and even had statues depicting them in good light. Again, assimilation into new societies isn’t unusual in modern times, except now rather than just rating societies based on the level of development, the rating of an entire race is added to the equation. For example, if an African comes to the U.S., becomes a U.S. citizen and adopts U.S. laws and customs, he/she will still not get the same privilege as his/her white counterpart, not because of his/her skills, but because he/she will first be rated on his/her race! How did we get here? 18th -19th century European development is what happened. With the industrial revolution, and the ensuing colonial ambitions to fulfill the growing needs of those industries, Europeans who could no longer sustain enslaving their compatriots looked towards other lands in Asia, the Americas and Africa. The only way to inhumanly exploit others in these new found lands of opportunity, is to create a psyche that the victor is the superior being, and the defeated is the inferior one. The Euro-Christian missionaries played their part in this process. This psyche was promoted in the European homelands, when slavery itself became a big revenue-generating institution. European authors did their duty as well, which entailed stripping the conquered people off all their past accomplishments and their new history is to become whatever their European masters tell them. Unfortunately, after social unrests leading to newly independents states worldwide, the 19th century mentality continued to cling, particularly in the West. So now, every one of the conquered groups are trying to claim back their history, while Europeans continue to cling on to the mentality that their kind (white folks) hold the mantle of humankind civilization . This is why white people see themselves in the Greeks, the Mesopotamians, the Egyptians, Nubians and so on. As a response to this, other folks similarly resorted to seeing themselves in the ancient civilizations born in the lands of their ancestors, even if they can’t directly relate to people of the civilizations involved. Africans relate to ancient Egypt and Nubia in the same way Europeans relate to ancient Greece and Rome. The Native American-Indians see themselves in the Olmec civilization, West Asians see themselves in Mesopotamia, Southeast Asians see themselves in the ancient Indian and Chinese empires. Various folks in the West have responded to white folk mentality in trying to claim civilizations of other lands. For example, there are some Black Americans who talk of black folks starting or inspiring civilizations in Southeast Asia, by the presence of black-looking people (Negritos) in those regions, and some west Asians who seem to think that by labeling all Egyptians as Arabs, makes ancient Egypt also western Asian. The bottom line is that every group mentioned is trying to maintain the position that they weren’t “civilized” by the other. However, dates of civilizations don’t lie, and the fact is cultures have inspired and influenced one another throughout the ages. It seems that for Africans, Asians, and other Americans, regaining a piece of their history is like regaining their pride, and for Europeans, it’s about protecting their pride and the status quo of their present economic dominance. Great civilizations rise and fall, but they leave a lasting impression.

[This message has been edited by supercar (edited 03 September 2004).]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although it may true that Egyptians[Kemetians] were looked upon favorable by Greeks,in later periods when the Greeks and Romans finally conquered Egypt indigenous Egyptians were disdained. This,however, never stopped the intermarriage between Greeks and Egyptians which were even quite frequent in regions of Middle and Lower Egypt.

I recommend you read the book by Alan K. Bowman entitled Egypt After the Pharoah,or Napalty Lewis book Egypt under the Roman Empire. The fact was that it was even illegal for an Egyptian peasent to enter Alexzanderia except as a servent. Certainly this cannot be consider racism,for the Greeks were not racist but it does show they had an elietist stadard.

On the same token the Macaedonians and Thracians were looked down upon as well.

The elite membership in Greece was the Gymnasium which you have to prove both maternal and paternal ancestors were Greek in origin according to Bowman in his book. Indigenous Egyptians were excluded from membership.

Most of Upper Egypt during the Ptolomeic period was never controlled by the Greeks,and some regions like modern Luxor to Aswan most Greeks probabaly never pentrated.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
supercar
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by ausar:
Although it may true that Egyptians[Kemetians] were looked upon favorable by Greeks,in later periods when the Greeks and Romans finally conquered Egypt indigenous Egyptians were disdained. This,however, never stopped the intermarriage between Greeks and Egyptians which were even quite frequent in regions of Middle and Lower Egypt.

There is no doubt that after conquests, Greeks and Romans didn't show the same amount of respect they had for Ancient Egyptians in the earlier eras. Being able to take on a declining power or empire, tends to make the new victors big-headed. However, the Greeks and Romans still saw Egyptians in a different light from the "barbaric" Europeans to their North.

quote:
Posted by ausar:
The fact was that it was even illegal for an Egyptian peasent to enter Alexzanderia except as a servent. Certainly this cannot be consider racism,for the Greeks were not racist but it does show they had an elietist stadard.

Well, the Egyptians themselves had social strata since pre-dynastic times. But the question becomes, how were Egyptians with high social standing treated in Alexandria, and did they get the same respect as the Greek elites? Moreover, were Egyptians given the opportunity to be in the same social status as Greeks?
Most likely, elite Egyptians were treated differently from "lower" class Egyptians.

quote:
ausar posted:
The elite membership in Greece was the Gymnasium which you have to prove both maternal and paternal ancestors were Greek in origin according to Bowman in his book. Indigenous Egyptians were excluded from membership.

Kind of answers the question I just asked about treatement of Egyptians. In this case, I take it that Egyptians of "any" social standing is excluded from membership. Are you talking about Egyptians in Greece, or Egyptians in Greek controlled Egyptian regions, or both? I am assuming you are talking about Greek customs brought to Egyptian territory!

quote:
ausar posted:
On the same token the Macaedonians and Thracians were looked down upon as well.

...by Greeks?

quote:
ausar posted:
Most of Upper Egypt during the Ptolomeic period was never controlled by the Greeks,and some regions like modern Luxor to Aswan most Greeks probabaly never pentrated.

No doubt. Egyptian power as an empire was waning at this point, but this doesn't imply that they were totally conquered!

[This message has been edited by supercar (edited 03 September 2004).]

supercar
unregistered

Let's face it, the initiators of AE civilization shouldn't be a debatable point given the facts available, yet debates occur. Where do these debates mostly occur?- Mostly in the multi-cultural societies of the West. Most Africans don't give Ancient Egypt or contemporary Egypt a second thought in terms of its identity, because they don't have any doubts about it being African in every possible way. When they come into contact with the multi-racial societies of the West, they are drawn into debates concerning how Egypt ought be a special case of not being African. Yes, Euro-Egyptology instigated these debates, but underlining cause of its persistence after the facts, is the "social strata" of West. Unequal social representation in the West between white folks and black folks encourages the white folks to hang onto the illusions of 19th century Euro-Egyptology, while black folks are determined to correct it. A similar trend is found between white folks and other "colored" people of their society!
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Kind of answers the question I just asked about treatement of Egyptians. In this case, I take it that Egyptians of "any" social standing is excluded from membership. Are you talking about Egyptians in Greece, or Egyptians in Greek controlled Egyptian regions, or both? I am assuming you are talking about Greek customs brought to Egyptian territory!

I am speaking of Greek cities established during Ptolomeic period when Greek travel to mainland Greece was allowed. During the 26th dyansty Greek and Carian mercenaries were allowed to settle by Ahmose II in the Delta region that became later known as Naucratis. Other Greek settlements sprung up in the Faiyum and in parts of Middle Egypt around modern Sohag was a city called Ptolomeis. The city were such ordances were inacted was in Alexzandria and Naucratis where since the early periods Egyptians and Greeks were forbidden to intermarry. Greeks,however, in Greco-Roman cities like Karnis in Faiyum and Ptolmeis could intermarry legally. The offspring from the unions were not allowed in Gynasisum status.

BTW, the ban on Egyptians to enter Alexzandria was around the Roman era of Emperor Agustas I believe.

QUOTE]Well, the Egyptians themselves had social strata since pre-dynastic times. But the question becomes, how were Egyptians with high social standing treated in Alexandria, and did they get the same respect as the Greek elites? Moreover, were Egyptians given the opportunity to be in the same social status as Greeks?
Most likely, elite Egyptians were treated differently from "lower" class Egyptians.[/QUOTE]

I really don't know the answer to this except the so-called Egyptian medical school in Alexzandria had many Egyptian like qualities that other areas that were not avaiable in the Academy in Greece. People were allowed to dissect animals which was forbidden in the Greek schools in Greece. Egyptians had a prfound influce upon Greek medicine in Alexzandria.

Most Egyptian during the Greco-Romam period were peasent farmers,but eventually some moved up in the military or by becoming Hellenized. We hace many cases of Hellenized Egyptians in Alexzandria who were acclaimed scholars. One of them possibly being Heron.

Truthfully,not many Egyptians wanted to assimilate into Hellenistic soceity,for most bitterly hated the Greek rule. However, I must point out that Grecian women often prefered being tried under Egyptian courts for their equal treatment of women under the law. Greece had no such counterpart for the protection of women, for most were mere property of their hubands and even male children.

Yes,Egypt during the dyanstic era had a stratified social system where most Egyptians were peasents. The status changed much during the Middle Kingdom where often lower class children were allowed to sit in with more elite children to learn how to become a scribe. I recommend you read a papyri called Satrie of the Trades which documents the assorted fields and specialities Egyptians had during this period.

quote:
.by Greeks?

Yes,Macedonians and Greeks were traditional rivals. Macedonians were excluded form the Olympic Games.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
supercar
unregistered

quote:
ausar posted:
I am speaking of Greek cities established during Ptolomeic period when Greek travel to mainland Greece was allowed. During the 26th dyansty Greek and Carian mercenaries were allowed to settle by Ahmose II in the Delta region that became later known as Naucratis. Other Greek settlements sprung up in the Faiyum and in parts of Middle Egypt around modern Sohag was a city called Ptolomeis. The city were such ordances were inacted was in Alexzandria and Naucratis where since the early periods Egyptians and Greeks were forbidden to intermarry. Greeks,however, in Greco-Roman cities like Karnis in Faiyum and Ptolmeis could intermarry legally. The offspring from the unions were not allowed in Gynasisum status.

BTW, the ban on Egyptians to enter Alexzandria was around the Roman era of Emperor Agustas I believe.

That's what I thought; the Greek settlements in Egypt! But we are seeing the beginnings of European trend of segregation in foreign lands, and providing privileges to "full-blooded" Europeans. The reaction of Greeks in the Greco-Roman cities you pointed out, might reflect their rather lesser stronghold in those regions.

quote:
ausar posted:
I really don't know the answer to this except the so-called Egyptian medical school in Alexzandria had many Egyptian like qualities that other areas that were not avaiable in the Academy in Greece. People were allowed to dissect animals which was forbidden in the Greek schools in Greece. Egyptians had a prfound influce upon Greek medicine in Alexzandria...However, I must point out that Grecian women often prefered being tried under Egyptian courts for their equal treatment of women under the law. Greece had no such counterpart for the protection of women, for most were mere property of their hubands and even male children.

Well, there were obviously some Egyptians who were considered being of relative higher social status than other Egyptians, explaining adoption of Egyptian practices in scholastic areas and social life by the Greek settlements. In general, just how much respect these Egyptians of relative high status were able to get from Greeks, might be another story.

quote:
ausar posted:
Most Egyptian during the Greco-Romam period were peasent farmers,but eventually some moved up in the military or by becoming Hellenized. We hace many cases of Hellenized Egyptians in Alexzandria who were acclaimed scholars. One of them possibly being Heron.

Hellenized in the sense that they adopted Greek values or by simply having Greek admixture?

quote:
ausar posted:
Truthfully,not many Egyptians wanted to assimilate into Hellenistic soceity,for most bitterly hated the Greek rule.

Egyptian priests probably took the lead in the negative reaction towards assimilation into Hellenistic society.

[This message has been edited by supercar (edited 04 September 2004).]

supercar
unregistered

quote:

Yes,Macedonians and Greeks were traditional rivals. Macedonians were excluded form the Olympic Games.

The Macedonians were probably thankful about their ban from the Olympic Games, which probably required athletes to run around naked!

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I say Hellenization I mean that Egyptians would adopt Greek names and culture. Usually indigenous had to do this to become part of the elite status groups. Having Greek admixture was simply not enough for upward mobility.

You might want to read Alan K. Bowman's Egypt After the Pharoahs for a better understanding. From his book is where I am getting most of my information.

Let me point out there were also areas in Egypt where the priests would not allow Greeks.

One pratice that set Egyptians apart from the Greeks was the adopting of children that were being killed. Infanticide amungst the Greeks and Romans was quite common during this period,and Egyptians took in all children including Greek children and raised them. The conditions was that the children would become assistants to priests.

supercar
unregistered

quote:
When I say Hellenization I mean that Egyptians would adopt Greek names and culture. Usually indigenous had to do this to become part of the elite status groups. Having Greek admixture was simply not enough for upward mobility.

Let me point out there were also areas in Egypt where the priests would not allow Greeks.

One pratice that set Egyptians apart from the Greeks was the adopting of children that were being killed. Infanticide amungst the Greeks and Romans was quite common during this period,and Egyptians took in all children including Greek children and raised them. The conditions was that the children would become assistants to priests.

Anaylsis of your statements show that the Egyptian rating of Greeks was not based on their race, but on their deeds. The Egyptian hostility towards the Greeks was mainly based on the Greek's inadequate assimilation of Egyptian culture: infanticide was anti-Egyptian, lack of laws protecting women wasn't representative of Egyptian values, exclusion of Egyptians from several designated Greek places on Egyptian territory was un-Egyptian, having to adopt Hellenic ways of thinking in order to climb the social ladder on Egyptian territory was also un-Egyptian, and so on. Even today, foreigners in a society are welcomed, as long as they don't impose their own values on the hosting society. They are even more looked upon favorably, if they show effort of assimilating into the hosting society. Unlike trends in certain modern societies, Egyptians were less preoccupied with prioritizing race to measure the social privilege status. But let's go back to the use of courts as a tool for the protection of women rights, for a minute: Westerners often implicate themselves as pioneers in the direction of women rights, forgetting that foundations were laid down by the likes of the Ancient Egyptians. Egyptians were pioneers in this regard. It is consciously pleasing to see oneself in pioneers. This is also what Ancient Egyptian civilization does for modern folks who want to claim it, whatever their race.

rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is something "funny" about how modern (wst) regard ancient Kemet.

They do everything they can to suggest, in contradiction to evidence, that ancient Kemet was not an African society, but rather a European, Asian or "Mediterranian" one.

Medit, of course, being the most fashionable term - because it is actually illogical, literally referencing an ocean, not a landmass. Since no people are literally indigenous to the Sea it is therefore literally meaningless, and usefully...literally, impossible to "disprove".

What you can do is press on with specifics.

Specifics will show that Kemetians were an African people.

Historical record, culture, language, bioanthropology....will demonstrate with clarity that Kemet is African by every measure by which origin of any people/civilization can possibly be demonstrated.

Being unable to refute this, the tactic is to shift emphasis. Kemet is "heterogeneous" we are told. That is meant to appear as a reasonable compromise. It is certainly rhetorically safe, since it is easy to argue that that any and all civilization...African, Asian, European, Native American, are ultimately heterogeneous. Heterogeneous is a modern political/philosophical concept, and it is easy to shape it's definition to fit the need. But there is a subtle hypocrisy at work here, and it lies underneath the "reasonable/safe" compromise.

The hypocrisy is revealed whenever Kemet is placed in a broader African context.

Now (wst) advocates of heterogeneous shift mode, and argue that Kemet is essentially "distinct", "separate", different from and has otherwise little do to with: Sub Saharan Africa, or West Africa, or Nubia, or Africans in the diaspora. You would think that Kemetic civilization was the product of instantaneous creation dropped down into the Nile Valley by the Gods, out of any context of African history, and remained so isolated for it's 3000 plus years of existence. Of course, such a view is ridiculous. (WST) rhetoric, is ridiculous.

A specific example of this hypocrisy comes from Egypt's Supreme Czar of the antiquities: Dr. Hawass, who stated that the Kemetians were "not black in the same sense as other africans were black."

Now, lets think about this little Hawassian pearl of wisdom.

This is equivalent to arguing that the Kemetians were not African in the same sense that other Africans are.

This is equivalent to arguing that they were not human in the same sense that other human beings are.

It is the ultimate, extremist, absurdist, segregationist/fantasist argument.

It is based upon the exact opposite core assumption/rhetoric that the "Kemet is heterogeneous argument", is based on.

In terms of logical discourse the (wst) argument: AE is heterogeneous and so "related" to (wst)....and yet.... AE is distinct and so unrelated to Africa, is just a convoluted form of burden of proof fallacy, in which you deny the conclusion the evidence overwhelmingly leads to, in order to assert a contradictory conclusion based on the notion that it has not been shown to be 'completely impossible'.

Or more simply: It's called trying to have it both ways.

[This message has been edited by rasol (edited 05 September 2004).]

Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
supercar
unregistered

Icon 3 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rasol:
Here is something "funny" about how modern (wst) regard ancient Kemet.

They do everything they can to suggest, in contradiction to evidence, that ancient Kemet was not an African society, but rather a European, Asian or "Mediterranian" one.

Medit, of course, being the most fashionable term - because it is actually illogical, literally referencing an ocean, not a landmass. Since no people are literally indigenous to the Sea it is therefore literally meaningless, and usefully...literally, impossible to "disprove".

What you can do is press on with specifics.

Specifics will show that Kemetians were an African people.

Historical record, culture, language, bioanthropology....will demonstrate with clarity that Kemet is African by every measure by which origin of any people/civilization can possibly be demonstrated.

Being unable to refute this, the tactic is to shift emphasis. Kemet is "heterogeneous" we are told. That is meant to appear as a reasonable compromise. It is certainly rhetorically safe, since it is easy to argue that that any and all civilization...African, Asian, European, Native American, are ultimately heterogeneous. Heterogeneous is a modern political/philosophical concept, and it is easy to shape it's definition to fit the need. But there is a subtle hypocrisy at work here, and it lies underneath the "reasonable/safe" compromise.

The hypocrisy is revealed whenever Kemet is placed in a broader African context.

Now (wst) advocates of heterogeneous shift mode, and argue that Kemet is essentially "distinct", "separate", different from and has otherwise little do to with: Sub Saharan Africa, or West Africa, or Nubia, or Africans in the diaspora. You would think that Kemetic civilization was the product of instantaneous creation dropped down into the Nile Valley by the Gods, out of any context of African history, and remained so isolated for it's 3000 plus years of existence. Of course, such a view is ridiculous. (WST) rhetoric, is ridiculous.

A specific example of this hypocrisy comes from Egypt's Supreme Czar of the antiquities: Dr. Hawass, who stated that the Kemetians were "not black in the same sense as other africans were black."

Now, lets think about this little Hawassian pearl of wisdom.

This is equivalent to arguing that the Kemetians were not African in the same sense that other Africans are.

This is equivalent to arguing that they were not human in the same sense that other human beings are.

It is the ultimate, extremist, absurdist, segregationist/fantasist argument.

It is based upon the exact opposite core assumption/rhetoric that the "Kemet is heterogeneous argument", is based on.

In terms of logical discourse the (wst) argument: AE is heterogeneous and so "related" to (wst)....and yet.... AE is distinct and so unrelated to Africa, is just a convoluted form of burden of proof fallacy, in which you deny the conclusion the evidence overwhelmingly leads to, in order to assert a contradictory conclusion based on the notion that it has not been shown to be 'completely impossible'.

Or more simply: It's called trying to have it both ways.

[This message has been edited by rasol (edited 05 September 2004).]

You know Rasol, we've repetitively talked about Euro-Egyptologist distortions of Ancient Egyptian civilization and the diffusionist tools employed to downplay its relationship to Africa or Africans. But here, you have picked upon one common diffusionist tool, "heterogeneity", which is often acknowledged in a passing in the discussions that have taken place here or anywhere, and then the discussions move to other specifics. Like you've pointed out, it is one which is often mentioned to reach a compromise, because it cannot be argued against. Yet we know for a fact that any given civilization can be shown to be heterogeneous. I have thought about the over-emphasis of "heterogeneity" in the context of African history, not just Ancient Egypt, and it led me to create the thread titled " Application of racial purity to Ancient Egypt", in the hopes that someone would close in on this diffusionist tool as you did right here. But it turned out to be a compromise in that discussion as well, because the main "opponent" of that discussion refused to answer the questions laid down in the opening notes. In fact, I'll mention the name...Horemheb, refused to answer "any" question in response to his allegations, thereby forcing the discussion to move in the direction of people simply pointing out the specifics of it's African qualities, and irrelevant references to contemporary authors like Bernal, that nobody dearly hold as their lifeline in the advancing their argument!

But lets look at Mr. Zahi Hawass, whom you mentioned, in the context of this thread's subject: What does his portrayal of AE do for him? He is essentially African, even if sees himself as another race different from Black Africans. But Zahi Hawass was also at pains to point out how Africans should look at Ancient Egypt as a special case, and not include it in the list of African studies/history. That logic infers: we have to choose from the events that took place in Africa, which ones we would like to include in African studies! This absurdity is from a man, who is supposed to be charged with the high level responsibility of managing archeological affairs of Ancient Egypt. How does a person get away with such unscholarly comments given his appointed "status", i.e., without the fear of loosing that position? I believe again, the answer lies in the Egyptian social strata. Mr. Hawass' comment isn't meant to merely please Euro-Egyptologists, but to underline the favoritism of the small social layer of Egyptian elites, who instigated putting the process of Pan-Arabism into full swing. These are the same folks who called Egypt the "Arab" Republic, notwithstanding there are Egyptian communities who wouldn't otherwise identify with the label. These elites will likely consider themselves Africans, but not black folks!

BTW, your comment is still relevant to the topic; was just pointing out the missed opportunity in another thread that solely dealt with the issue of heterogeneity!

[This message has been edited by supercar (edited 05 September 2004).]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com