EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Sudan: Ancient Treasures Exhibition at the British Museum

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sudan: Ancient Treasures Exhibition at the British Museum
fatai
Member # 3711

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for fatai     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.thebritishmuseum.ac.uk/newsroom/current2004/sudan_b.html

Exhibition runs until jan 2005 and apparently many of the exhibts are recent discoveries that have never been on display outside of Khartoum.

Posts: 18 | From: London, England | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keino
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fatai:
http://www.thebritishmuseum.ac.uk/newsroom/current2004/sudan_b.html

Exhibition runs until jan 2005 and apparently many of the exhibts are recent discoveries that have never been on display outside of Khartoum.

I would love to see the programme or the exhibit.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Obenga
Member # 1790

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Obenga     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im going to go to the exhibit...you guys want a report?
Posts: 404 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Obenga:
Im going to go to the exhibit...you guys want a report?

Does Rameses II want big statues of himself?

Of course!

Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Obenga
Member # 1790

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Obenga     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took a lot of pictures and I'm trying to figure out how to upload to the site now.

It is a very good exhibit ....while I am figuring out the pic thing you guys can post some questions about it.

Posts: 404 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How far back into Sudan's history does the exhibit go?

Do they discuss Kush, pre Kerma, Ta Seti?

Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Obenga
Member # 1790

Rate Member
They exhibit is filled with pottery, jewlry, Information boards, maps and statues basically everything you would see at an Exhibit of Kmt you see here.

Statues of Kings, busts of Queens...stela, sphinx's and pictures of old forts, Pyramids and burial practices. In fact they had a small open burial pit with the skeleton of a man and a small ram buried beside him with some pottery also in the pit.

The timeline is from pre-historic times to the christian and muslim era in sudan. much of what is there is actually hard to distinguish from Kmtian....as we all know these two cultures were very close and all the dynastic era material there supports that. I didn't attend the accompanying lecture but there is a book store as part of the exhibit with the best collection of books on Sudan-Nubia and how african is egypt themed books that i have ever seen. I an going to go back just to buy 2 or 3 books i saw there.

It's a crime that they are going to flood this area.....today i really got a feel for Ta-Seti-Kush-Nubia that I never had before. The research on this area is way underdeveloped this nation was one of THE prominent nations in the world during their heyday without question.

We may only know a 10th of what is really out there waiting to be uncovered and researched in detail.

BTW....they had some west and south african cultural items and displays that were news to me.....weapons and Armour that i had never seen before on African Warriors....fantastic items one bladed weapon looked very much like the Klingon Batliff if any of you watch Star trek you know what I am talking about

Still working on the pics

supercar
unregistered

quote:
BTW....they had some west and south african cultural items and displays that were news to me.....weapons and Armour that i had never seen before on African Warriors....fantastic items one bladed weapon looked very much like the Klingon Batliff if any of you watch Star trek you know what I am talking about

Well of course, Africans have had rich history, even before any European realized the existence of the land mass now called Africa. It is upto Africans to work on highlighting these past developments, and believe me, there is much to be explored. No other peoples will be willing to tell it how it ought to be; that interest lies within Africans themselves.

[This message has been edited by supercar (edited 23 October 2004).]

kenndo
Member # 4846

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kenndo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
They exhibit is filled with pottery, jewlry, Information boards, maps and statues basically everything you would see at an Exhibit of Kmt you see here.

Statues of Kings, busts of Queens...stela, sphinx's and pictures of old forts, Pyramids and burial practices. In fact they had a small open burial pit with the skeleton of a man and a small ram buried beside him with some pottery also in the pit.

The timeline is from pre-historic times to the christian and muslim era in sudan. much of what is there is actually hard to distinguish from Kmtian....as we all know these two cultures were very close and all the dynastic era material there supports that. I didn't attend the accompanying lecture but there is a book store as part of the exhibit with the best collection of books on Sudan-Nubia and how african is egypt themed books that i have ever seen. I an going to go back just to buy 2 or 3 books i saw there.

It's a crime that they are going to flood this area.....today i really got a feel for Ta-Seti-Kush-Nubia that I never had before. The research on this area is way underdeveloped this nation was one of THE prominent nations in the world during their heyday without question.

We may only know a 10th of what is really out there waiting to be uncovered and researched in detail.

great points.egypt built a dam and parts of lower nubia were flooded,in the 1960's.sudan and egypt i think plan to do it i again in lower nubia in egypt,but the nubian parts in the sudan for the most parts are safe except maybe northern nubia,but letters were coming in to stop those projects,at least for now.let's hope folks keep writing more letters to stop the non-sense.we could have learn more things faster if that first dam was not built and some nubians in egypt had to leave thier homes.

[This message has been edited by kenndo (edited 23 October 2004).]

Posts: 2688 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keino
unregistered

quote:
I took a lot of pictures and I'm trying to figure out how to upload to the site now.

It is a very good exhibit ....while I am figuring out the pic thing you guys can post some questions about it.

Come on Obenga, where are the pictures?? LOL

Obenga
Member # 1790

Rate Member
Give me an Upload site and I'll post 'em up

thanx

Kem-Au
Member # 1820

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kem-Au     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Give me an Upload site and I'll post 'em up

thanx

If you e-mail me the pictures I will post them, or you can get a yahoo account, which gives you free web space. You can uploaed em there.

[This message has been edited by Kem-Au (edited 07 December 2004).]

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Obenga
Member # 1790

Rate Member
Whats your e-mail address
Kem-Au
Member # 1820

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kem-Au     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Whats your e-mail address

I'd rather not post it. Please go here http://www.bcecartoons.com/animation.html and use the webmaster e-mail link. I'll check it there.

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenndo
Member # 4846

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kenndo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THIS shows that nubia is the true mother of the world and civilization.
Posts: 2688 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Obenga
Member # 1790

Rate Member

[This message has been edited by Obenga (edited 11 March 2005).]

Obenga
Member # 1790

Rate Member

Obenga
Member # 1790

Rate Member

Got more if u want more

Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wally   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These are some good images

Did you know that the writing appears to be Kemetian (was this the official language of Kush, as well?); also the words in front of the cartouche of the Pharaoah "Tanweteamani" appear to be "Osiri" - "Nsuten" (King Osiris) in a place where you might normally see "Nsu" - "Biti", the king's "NsuBiti" name, so is this a new form of a king's title?...very interesting. I wish that alTakruri was still around, I'd like to see what he thinks about this. I'm gonna see if I still have his email address, so anyway;

Can we see all of the images, please, please?

PS: sure would like to get a better look at the king's name. I think I can see "Amon W_" ...

[This message has been edited by Wally (edited 12 March 2005).]

Posts: 3344 | From: Berkeley | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy_2k5
Member # 6397

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy_2k5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kenndo:
THIS shows that nubia is the true mother of the world and civilization.

It is likely that 'Nubia' (Geographic term) and Kmt are one and the same. The term was coined so that Kmt can remain White, while 'Nubia' is the Black counterpart. If 'Nubia' ends up being many times more impressive, then the EuroNuts will end up claiming that this civilization was Caucasian.

Posts: 212 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Supercar
Member # 6477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Supercar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was wondering when those photos would come in. They are here at last; very impressive!
Posts: 5964 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Obenga
Member # 1790

Rate Member

Rosetta Stone.....never used to be in a case but it is now

[This message has been edited by Obenga (edited 12 March 2005).]

Obenga
Member # 1790

Rate Member
I always thought this was thutmosis III.....but now they say they are not sure he may be Ramses or someone else....this is in the Egyptian part of the Museum

Back to the Sudan

See Below for Explanation of this shot

Info Below on this King

Obenga
Member # 1790

Rate Member

West African...Benin i think

Some of the Warriors I spoke of...will post pics of weapons later

More to come

Supercar
Member # 6477

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Supercar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I always thought this was thutmosis III.....but now they say they are not sure he may be Ramses or someone else....this is in the Egyptian part of the Museum

You mentioned something earlier about the West and South African cultural items...do you have any images of those?

Nevermind, it looks like you beat me to it!

[This message has been edited by Super car (edited 12 March 2005).]

Posts: 5964 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Good stuff.
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you guys think there could still be undisturbed Nubian tomb out there?

Posts: 26285 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Obenga
Member # 1790

Rate Member
Weapons of West Africa and the Sudan

Armour

Obenga
Member # 1790

Rate Member
Egypt

Augustus

Info

Obenga
Member # 1790

Rate Member

Info on Pyramid

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com