EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » The Moors (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Moors
King_Scorpion
Member # 4818

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for King_Scorpion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can someone tell me about them please. Were they arab or african? I know they were forced to convert, but someone I'm arguing with claims blacks never created anything...you know the typical racist. He brought up the Moors and I only know them by name.
Posts: 1219 | From: North Carolina, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wally   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by King_Scorpion:
Can someone tell me about them please. Were they arab or african? I know they were forced to convert, but someone I'm arguing with claims blacks never created anything...you know the typical racist. He brought up the Moors and I only know them by name.

a) try searching this forum; the Moors have been discussed before.

b) according to C.A. Diop, the Moors were Arabs from Yemen

c) keep in mind that the root cause of Racism is a deep seated fear of another ethnic or racial group. Knowone, however irrational that person might be, is in the least bit intimidated by someone they feel innately superior too, in fact they are very comfortable around such an individual...

In this instance, the 'Blacks never created anything', isn't something they particular believe; their main point is to get you to believe it!

Ever read about the 'ol "Blacks can't play sports" routine? -- same thing

[This message has been edited by Wally (edited 18 January 2005).]

Posts: 3344 | From: Berkeley | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting subject. Moors can be said to be African and Arab, with some Spanish as well. And perhaps the Berber component is the most significant. It isn't an ethnic group per se. The term Moors comes from Greek mauros meaning dark. Not many people know this but the Romans used Moor for a time generically to describe Africans in a way similar to earlier Greek use of Ethiopian. The Romans often used Mouros interchangably with terms like Afer and Ethiopian. The Arabs conquered or converted much of North Africa to Islam around 700 AD. And these African/Arab peoples swept into Spain and conquered much of Southern Europe:

During the medieval era, the Arabs/Moors successfully cut the Europeans off from the rest of the world. Moslems literally barricaded the Europeans into their own continent and rarely permitted them to come in or out. Europeans could not travel in Africa or Asia, because the Moslem armies prohibited such mobility. Marco Polo was one of the few Europeans to travel outside of Europe in the late 1200sAD. - Greg Gordon

The Moors who conquered Southern Europe were diverse have been linked to many different African Ethnic Groups including Hausa (Nigeria) and Taureg (Mali).

Good topic.

Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wally   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rasol:
Interesting subject. Moors can be said to be African and Arab, with some Spanish as well. And perhaps the Berber component is the most significant. It isn't an ethnic group per se. The term Moors comes from Greek mauros meaning dark. Not many people know this but the Romans used Moor for a time generically to describe Africans in a way similar to earlier Greek use of Ethiopian. The Romans often used Mouros interchangably with terms like Afer and Ethiopian. The Arabs conquered or converted much of North Africa to Islam around 700 AD. And these African/Arab peoples swept into Spain and conquered much of Southern Europe:

During the medieval era, the Arabs/Moors successfully cut the Europeans off from the rest of the world. Moslems literally barricaded the Europeans into their own continent and rarely permitted them to come in or out. Europeans could not travel in Africa or Asia, because the Moslem armies prohibited such mobility. Marco Polo was one of the few Europeans to travel outside of Europe in the late 1200sAD. - Greg Gordon

The Moors who conquered Southern Europe were diverse have been linked to many different African Ethnic Groups including Hausa (Nigeria) and Taureg (Mali).

Good topic.

I agree completely with your analysis. What really fascinates me is how this small group of Yemeni families from a small country managed to conquer all of northern Africa and southern Europe, or

-how that 'tiny' English island had empires all over the globe, and

-how 'tiny' Japan held sway in eastern Asia, humbling even the mighty nation of China...

Is it the old axiom that it's not the quantity but the quality of something that is the more important element?...

[This message has been edited by Wally (edited 18 January 2005).]

Posts: 3344 | From: Berkeley | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ABAZA
Member # 5785

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for ABAZA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rasol,

This reply of yours is quite factual for a change!!

Every afrocentrist, would say that the Moors are Black and Black only, because that is how they were described by the Europeans.

The Black-a-Moors, many were actually not Black or Negro, but were darker than the White Europeans.

This only shedds light on the fact that when a European calls a Group Black, does not mean that they're Black Negros or Black Africans.

Rasol, I'm really surprised that this came from you......

Someone recently on this board, called the people of Mauritania (Land of the Moors), Black Native Africans.

It it seems that Herodutus had the same myopic vision as the other early Europeans about, when they described certain Africans.

Just a little food for thought!!

quote:

Good topic.

Posts: 1656 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Rasol,

This reply of yours is quite factual for a change!!

Your reply is incoherent Abaza. Some things never change.

Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Moor is a slippery term in the extra African world and Moorish
identity varies through time. At the origin of our word Moor is the
Greek word mauros an adjective meaning dark applied as a
Latin noun Maurus denoting the people of the Roman province
Mauritania consisting of what is now the north parts of western
Algeria & Morocco. Procopius History 3.13.29 reports:
quote:

And I have heard this man say that beyond the country which he ruled there was no habitation of men, but desert land extending to a great distance, and that beyond that there are men, not black-skinned like the Mauretanii, but very white in body and fair-haired.

So the first Moors so named by the Greeks and Romans were
North African Imazighen aka Berbers notably darker than the
north Mediterraneans and some other Imazighen.

Not long after the above quote was written Arabs and Arabized
"middle easterners" and Iranians professing Islam overcame
Amazigh resistance last led by queen Dahya alKahina of the
Aures in eastern Algeria. Though technically part of Numidia
rather than Mauritania all these Imazighen adopting Islam and
under Arab orders invading and successfully conquering what
is now southern Spain came to be called Moros. 150 years later
ibn Qutayba wrote down Wahb ibn Nunabbih opinion:

quote:

Kush and Kan`an's descendants are the various races of blacks: Nubians, Zanj, Qaran, Zaghawa, Ethiopians, Copts, and Berbers.

Maur started out as a north Mediterranean concept of a specific
North African region but after the birth of al Andalus aka Muslim
Spain, the term Moor came to generally mean African Muslim in
the European languages. Though the Black a Moor is the Moor
that mostly captures our view there were also Tawny Moors and
White Moors. Their ascent in Europe survives in surnames of their
European descendents: Moore, Blackmoor, Tanimer, Whitmore, etc.

The term Black a Moor is a contraction of the phrase Black as a
Moor. The dominant image of a Moor as literally black, though they
were a variety of complexions, is because of two Andalusian dynasties
that arose from what is now the modern nation of Mauretania. They
were the al Murabitun and al Muwahhidun which included large
numbers of what are now Senegalese who are among the blackest
skinned people on earth. Many of the Zenaga al Mulathimun were
themselves very dark.

The legacy of the Roman age Mauritanii and the Moros of al Andalus
live on in the names of Morocco and Mauretania. To Africans the
Amazigh people of those countries are the Moors and not the Gnawa
people of the Sahel and Savanna. In particular the Mauritanians are
the Maurs divided into Beydan white Maurs and Haratin black Maurs.
Though some Fulani and Wolof have Mauritanian citizenship that
stretches back to pre Almoravid days they are not Maurs nor do they
seek to call themselves Maurs.

Yemini Arabs penetrated to Mauritania a thousand years ago and
eventually became the ruling class among the Beydani which also
includesZenaga. The peculiar Hasaniya dialect of Arabic is theirs
but these Yeminis are by no means the origin of the Maurs in fact
being the last people and the only Arabs to acquire the name Moor
which properly belongs to the northwest Africans.

The Gnawa or western Sudanese are not Moors. The Gnawa
attribute the destruction of the Songhai empire to a Moorish
invasion from Morocco. The descendents of the Moroccan
conquest of Songhai, which included Spaniards and I think
Scotts in their invasion force as well as genuine Moors, are
known as the Arma. I dont think any ethnic group located
below the Sahara between the Atlantic and Lake Chad
other than the Arma call themselves Moors. Its the Euros
who indiscriminately threw the word Moor around to the
point that even Indians and Filipinos were called Moors.

[This message has been edited by alTakruri (edited 18 January 2005).]

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kembu
Member # 5212

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kembu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by King_Scorpion:

They were African with slight Turkic (Ottoman Moslem) admixture. Phenotypically, they are not too far removed from the coastal Carthaginians. There are Moorish people in Mauritania, Mali, Western Sahara (Sarawi) and Tunisia.

Watch the musical "Otello" starring Placido Domingo as Otello and pay close attention to the scene where he was taken as a slave in Africa by Arab horsemen. The depiction of the Moorish people in that scene is the most accurate I have seen to date.

Well, of course, Placido had to be made over to resemble a Moor. His skin was darkened and his hair was made frizzier than it naturally is. I guess they used him for his voice. But they did quite a good job in trying to capture the Moorish phenotype. He might as well be cast as Hannibal. It's a great movie.

My advice to you is, don't get into argument with people who make claims that black (African) people never created anything. Like their claim, they're pretty lame. So why waste your precious time on people like that. Let them wallow in their ignorance and stupidity.

Posts: 145 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horemheb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This thread is typical of this board. The Moors start out being arabs, which they were, and by the end of the thread they have turned black. I'm waiting for the black slavs to show up here.
Posts: 5822 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy_2k5
Member # 6397

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy_2k5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Horemheb:
This thread is typical of this board. The Moors start out being arabs, which they were, and by the end of the thread they have turned black. I'm waiting for the black slavs to show up here.

If you were some sort of God-like figure then I would believe you dogmatically. However, since you are not, we require to see some credible scientific sources. Currently, such sources have not been postes, hence your ranting is meaningless.

Why even refer to Slavs? Do understand that your racist posts is rather hypocritical. The Germanic people were also slaves in Ancient Rome, and considered Barbarians by the Greeks.

Posts: 212 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

More on Moors :
Moors and Arabs:
When the Romans entered West Africa in 46 B.C., they saw Africans and called them Maures, from the Greek adjective Mauros, meaning dark or black. It is from Mauros and the Latin term Marues that the word Moor is derived. Since the inhabitants of North Africa were black, the Romans and later the Europeans called them Moors. It is no coincidence that the land inhabited by the Moors was called Mauritania and Morocco, meaning "Land of the Blacks."

In the beginning of the seventh century, the Arab prophet, Muhammad, began to preach the word of Islam. Consumed with religious fervor, the Arabs sought to spread Islam and conquer the world. By 708, the Arabs had overrun North Africa. Consequently, Moors in large numbers accepted Arabic as the national language and converted to their conqueror's religion, Islam. After the fall of the Roman Empire (fifth century), Spain was held by a barbaric white tribe, the Visigoths. Though they were Christians, their brand of Christianity was cruel and unjust. For this reason, Spain's Jews, serfs, and slaves looked favorably upon the arrival of a new civilization in which they would be able to live free of persecution.

Tarik, a great African chief, was given the rank of general in the Arab army and sent to raid Spain. On April 30, 711, Tarik landed on the Spanish Coast with 7,000 troops. His troops consisted of 300 Arabs and 6,700 native Africans (Moors). An ancient source, Ibn Husayn (ca. 950, recorded that these troops were "Sudanese", an Arabic word for Black people.

The Moors were unstoppable, and Visigothic Spain ceased to be. The few resisting Visigoths fled to the caves of the Cantabrian Mountains. Later in the century, the cave dwellers would venture out of the Cantabrian Mountains and reclaim parts of northern Spain.

The Moors of Africa were the real conquerors. When the Arabs arrived, the hardest part of the job had been done. Instead of treating the Moors fairly, the Arab chiefs assigned themselves the most fertile regions. The dissatisfied Moors were not long in coming to blows with the Arabs. (The History of Spain by Louis Bertrand and Sir Charles Petrie - published by Eyre & Spottiswood, London, 1945, page 36). Ultimately, the Moors acquired two-thirds of the peninsula, which they named Al-Andulus.

Al -Andulus was obliged to pay tribute to the Arab Caliph (King) of Damascus. As Al-Andulus acquired its own identity, its bond with the Caliph began to weaken. In 756, Al-Andulus proclaimed itself an independent state. Thus, its only links to the Arabs would be the Islamic faith and the Arabic language.

The Moorish architectural remains in Cordoba, Seville, and Granada prove conclusively that these cities were more prosperous and artistically more brilliant than any Christian cities in Europe at the time. The Moors of Al-Andulus held the torch of leaning and civilization when the rest of Europe was plunged in barbaric ignorance.

If Moorish Spain had been an accomplishment of the Arabs it would have been called Arab or Arabic Spain. Instead it bears the name of its creators, the Moors, i.e., Moorish Spain. - Yvonne Clark

fromashes_rise
Member # 6401

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for fromashes_rise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

prof horembed shakespeares othello was a moor and he was black , you should know that

Posts: 87 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horemheb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Othello was black relative to the Europeans in the play. We know who the Moors were and Shakespeare is not one of the historians we use in that area.
Posts: 5822 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Roy, First lets cut the 'racist' charge. In the second place son I do not rant.
This is typical black radical response, 'you must be a racist if you don't agree with me.'
Problem is Roy that this entire board is based on racism. Almost every thread gets back to making some kind of racial point. The objetct here is to use history for racial political purposes. these guys all know who they are and what they are trying to do. The rest of us know as well. That is why mainstream Egyptology rejects their point of view.

rasol
Member # 4592

This is a good thread Horemheb. Please contribute something to our knowledge of the Moors. If you can't do so, then just read and don't respond at all. Stop trolling. Thank you.
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
from what I am reading rasol you have about as much knowledge of the Moors as you do basic sophomore Western Civ 201.
rasol
Member # 4592

quote:
[B]from what I am reading
From what you're writing, it appears that you do not know how to read. Move along professor.

Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
What academic slime pit did you drag Yvonne Clark out of rasol? If your going to post information make it from non political sources please. That post was complete nonsense. Once again , check your basic Western Civ 201 text and lets cut the black politics.
rasol
Member # 4592

Miss Clark at least knows the difference between you're and your, unlike you Professor. Now run along if you have nothing constructive to contribute. Stop trolling.
fromashes_rise
Member # 6401

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for fromashes_rise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
prof horemheb just look up the ancient: the "corsica" coat of arms,
the "escutcheons" coat of arms

Posts: 87 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Miss Clark, for your information, is a black radical speaker based in Los Angles. She puts out the same non academic garbage you put forth on this board. Just because you hate white people rasol and cannot come to terms with your obvious feelings of inferiority does not neccisitate founding your arguments on the work of non scholars.
If you post information by people like Yvonne Clark you are going to get called on it.

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Look at this! You all let it keep happening. Out of 20 posts
only 8 are on topic. Once again a thread has been hijiacked by
a reactionary and diverted to white supremist ideaology. Wake up people.
Learn to ignore the ignorant and keep the train on the tracks, please.

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
takruri, You would not know a white supremist if you ran into one. Most of the stuff on this board is radical garbage, some of us have the need to point that out and possibly save a mind here and there. You can't have a historical discussion when people want to use Yvonne Clark and marcus Garvey to make their points. This black thing just has some of you people obsessed, you can't get past your skin color to live in the world. I'll bet you get up every day of your life thinking about being black.
rasol
Member # 4592

quote:
Out of 20 posts
only 8 are on topic.

Actually that's not bad for this forum. You may expect too much given the inability to ban posters. If you get upset, you just encourage trollers, since that's what they want. Why even discuss them?

Back to the topic.

The Moors: The Islamic West 7th-15th centuries David Nicholle
Several peoples were involved in the remarkable military hist5ory of the Islamic West.

The Berbers predominated throughout North Africa and the Sahara. To the south were Berber speaking peoples, African in appearance. The introduction of the camel in the medieval period meant that the Sahara bacame a bridge between North and sub-Saharan Africa. This allowed Islam to spread into Western Africa, and enabled Black African warriors to play a dramatic role in southern European history.

The historical facts on the Moors are actually not in serious dispute. Most of the topical posts essentially concur. Does anyone have fundamentally different information to share?

EGyPT2005
Member # 4995

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for EGyPT2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
takruri, You would not know a white supremist if you ran into one. Most of the stuff on this board is radical garbage, some of us have the need to point that out and possibly save a mind here and there. You can't have a historical discussion when people want to use Yvonne Clark and marcus Garvey to make their points. This black thing just has some of you people obsessed, you can't get past your skin color to live in the world. I'll bet you get up every day of your life thinking about being black.

Horemheb,

Your posts are irrelevant, just as you are irrelevant.

So, as rasol just stated, back to the topic at hand please!

Posts: 115 | From: South Bend, Indiana, US | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King_Scorpion
Member # 4818

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for King_Scorpion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe the Moors were a mostly black african people with some arab admixture. But not enough to be that important.
Posts: 1219 | From: North Carolina, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
2005, I must be making my points to get that kind of emotional reaction. Rasol operates off emotion. He quotes these radical scholars and then complains when he doesn't get a response. This board is all about feeling inferior, all about blaming the evil white man and holding on to that old black victim philosphy. The level of basic ignorance on this board may be too much to overcome.
Roy_2k5
Member # 6397

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy_2k5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Roy, First lets cut the 'racist' charge.

When did I call you racist on my prior post in this thread? I stated that you feel think that your opinions matter because of your race. Most of the "afrocentrics" have posted plenty of proper sources, unlike YOU.

quote:
In the second place son I do not rant.

Secondly, you are a hilarious individual. You have been ranting for a long time, and yet have provided credible sources for your claim. Instead of ranting, you ought to focus on proving that:

i) Moors were Arab.
ii) Arabs = Caucasoid

Come on atleast provide some source rather than the ancient white supremist crap you been raised with.

quote:
This is typical black radical response, 'you must be a racist if you don't agree with me.

You are a very paranoid individual. For your information, I am not really even Black.

quote:
Problem is Roy that this entire board is based on racism. Almost every thread gets back to making some kind of racial point. The objetct here is to use history for racial political purposes. these guys all know who they are and what they are trying to do. The rest of us know as well.

I don't know. Most of the "afrocentric" posts tend to make Egypt appear greater than before. For example, they proven that Egypt were writing before the Sumerians, nor was it a younger civilization. Even if they were going into racial topics, they did prove that the Egyptians were Negroid. They used Western AKA White sources to prove it, and they were not from country/trailer park people, they were from well educated linguists, egyptologists, etc. I think we cannot criticize such sources without presenting a stronger source.

quote:

That is why mainstream Egyptology rejects their point of view.

Mainstream Egyptology? I swear I thought Discovery Channel only gathers anything about Egypt from mainstream Egyptologists. The King Tut and Nefertiti images do look pretty Black or Negroid to me.

Posts: 212 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

quote:
I believe the Moors were a mostly black african people with some arab admixture.

The Arabs - Asiatic and Black, are very important to Moorish culture because they sparked (directly and indirectly) the conversion of indigenous West and NorthWest Africans to Islam. Still Moor is distinct from Arab, it is most closely 'associate' with Berber [Black and otherwise] muslims, although not all Berbers were Moors either.

There are many very specific European accounts of Moorish armies which are stated to have hailed from the Sudan, and other parts of inner-Africa.

Most important thing is that Moor is neither an ethnicity nor nationality. It's a group of Africans and Arab muslims both Black and non-Black who conquered most of Spain and dominated much of Europe for centuries.

[This message has been edited by rasol (edited 19 January 2005).]

supercar
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Most important thing is that Moor is neither an ethnicity nor nationality. It's a group of Africans and Arab muslims both Black and non-Black who conquered most of Spain and dominated much of Europe for centuries. [/B]

That is the main point that needs to be highlighted. It really doesn't matter much what race the Moors were, but what is more significant, is that the Moors were Africans, who conquered Spain and southern Europe. From North to South, African developments will remain African, as is the case with other parts of the globe.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member

By and large, when it comes to al Andalus aka Muslim Spain the
Imazighen and certain Islamized Gnawa were Moors whereas the
Arabs and Arabized east Mediterraneans, Iraqis, and Iranians were
Saracens.

To nonAfricans there may be confusion over who are Moors but in
Africa the Hasaniya speaking Beydan and Haritin of Mauritania are
the Moors. They are the only people in Africa other than the few
Arma along the Niger, who call themselves Moors. Many of the
inhabitants of the original old Mauretania were pushed south by the Arabs.

This is why Moor is such a slippery term because its definition
and application to anyone, except the Mauritanians and Arma, is
an externally imposed identity and will vary through time and
according to the country of the observer using the word Moor.

So for those who are not continental Africans, who is a Moor
boils down to a cojoint Muslim and African identity that lumps
together people who do not or did not consider themselves
ethnically, nationally, or culturally related. For an example as
to how imprecise this word really is, consider the patron saint
of Germany, St Maurice the Moor.

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry but I just couldnt resist the irony on this and it aint Thursday just yet.

http://cgfa.sunsite.dk/grunewal/grunewa4.jpg

St. Moritz (Maurice) the Moor (a black man dressed as a soldier; patron saint of the militant Order of Teutonic Knights, who were forcibly converting the Slavs to Christianity--or else).
http://www.wisc.edu/arth/ah330/charles.html

quote:

Roy_2k5
Member # 6397

Rate Member
Yemenis Arabs and even Saudi Arabs are mainly dark/black skinned, with Dravidian-like features. However, the elite Arabs or those from Hijaz are white. This means that the term Moor could be applied to the Arabs too.
Roy_2k5
Member # 6397

Rate Member
Take a look at St. Maurice's actual statue:

Straight from Magdeburg, Germany!

supercar
unregistered

Some folks would swear that such stuff, various stationed in the West as we speak, don't exist. But it is right there; in their face.
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Close up of statue face

[This message has been edited by alTakruri (edited 19 January 2005).]

Well it was a close up at the source.

[This message has been edited by alTakruri (edited 19 January 2005).]

supercar
unregistered

deleted

[This message has been edited by supercar (edited 19 January 2005).]

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Yemenis Arabs and even Saudi Arabs are mainly dark/black skinned, with Dravidian-like features. However, the elite Arabs or those from Hijaz are white. This means that the term Moor could be applied to the Arabs too.

This is true that the lower classes in Yemen have an Austric[Dravidian,veddoid element]. Many people from Sadui Arabi come from historic hajjis pilgrims,slaves, and soliders. During the time of the phophet Mohammed[pbuh] many Habesha[Ethiopians] came to Mecca and also controlled parts of Yemen for awhile.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
alTakruri, the irony of this is St. Maurice actually came from Upper Egypt[Southern Egypt] around the Luxor area. He is also a Coptic saint held in high reguard. He was part of the Theban league of soliders who were stationed in parts of Europe by the Romans.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:
alTakruri, the irony of this is St. Maurice actually came from Upper Egypt[Southern Egypt] around the Luxor area. He is also a Coptic saint held in high reguard. He was part of the Theban league of soliders who were stationed in parts of Europe by the Romans.

Ausar

You hit the nail square on the head!

Yes, this is why I offered him as an example of how slippery the
word Moor is in the European mind and their obsession with the
Black a Moor that could make nearly any kind of black anywhere
into a Moor regardless of their bonified ethnicity or nationality.

No way an Upper Egyptian of the 3rd century was ever a Moor since
during that time period Mauretania was clear across the continent at
the NW and no ancient writer ever correlated Maurs to Egyptians.

Only after the Muslim conquest of the southern parts of Iberia did
he become a Moor even though he was an Egyptian Coptic Christian.
It doesnt serve African history for scholars to perpetuate the same
nonsense instead of recknoning Moors as first the Mauretanians
and now the Mauritanians both of whom were and are overwhelmingly
Imazighen. All the rest to me is just slight of hand magnification.

supercar
unregistered

AlTakruri, that is a good point you just made.

However slippery the usage of the 'Moor' term became, this is what is important to take from Muslim conquests of southern Europe (pointed out earlier in the thread):

"Islam to spread into Western Africa, and enabled Black African warriors to play a dramatic role in southern European history."

[This message has been edited by supercar (edited 20 January 2005).]

rasol
Member # 4592

quote:
No way an Upper Egyptian of the 3rd century was ever a Moor since
during that time period Mauretania was clear across the continent at
the NW and no ancient writer ever correlated Maurs to Egyptians

Lol. It seems that we can add Moor to our list of most often confused terms relating to African history.

* Ethiopia
* Nubia
* Egypt
* Berber
* Moor

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member

quote:
Originally posted by Roy_2k5:

The Arabs including Yeminis are more red (brown and lighter) than
black (brown and darker). Unless youre using Moor as a code
word for dark/black skinned the only Yemini Moors are the ones
heavily or actually predominently mixed with Zenaga Imazighen
in Mauritania. At least thats my personal experience and opinion.
Moor has a precise definition Mauretanian/Mauritanian. To call
anyone else Moors is to impose an identity label on them that they
themselves do not recognize or accept. It doesnt help historical
investigation to allow everyone from Iberia to Senegal to Egypt
to Mozambique to the Arabian peninsula to the Fillipines to be
Moors. They all have their separate actual identities and
accomplishments.

quote:
Originally posted by ausar:

This is true that the lower classes in Yemen have an Austric[Dravidian,veddoid element]. Many people from Sadui Arabi come from historic hajjis pilgrims,slaves, and soliders. During the time of the phophet Mohammed[pbuh] many Habesha[Ethiopians] came to Mecca and also controlled parts of Yemen for awhile.

I think Muhammed was born in the Year of the Elephant which marked
the end of Ethiopian rule over Arabia as a consequence of the excesses
of Dhu Nawas. But this was last not the first time there was shared
government across the Bab el Mandeb.

Long in the past the Horn and the Yemen was a Two Shore Empire
just like the later Morocco and al Andalus. This is why both Yemen
and Ethiopia claim Bilqis aka Makeda as an ancient queen of theirs.
So we have Saba or Sheba after Kushitic and protoSemitic speakers
found their way to the Arabian peninsula. The black connection is
African more so than Austric especially when culture and history are
consulted not to discount the fact that Ethiopis, Yemenis, and Deccan
Indians have intermarried throughout time.

Theres the prominence of the cDe allele of the Rh gene, called the
African chromosome, in Yemenis from Habban in particular. The Fy*O
allele is another African marker and its occurence is even higher than
cDe in Yeminis and Habbanis.

Nor are the African elements further north of the Yemen due to migrants
from the late Islamic era with its hajjis and slaves. Arab origin mythos
name two distinct ancestors, Qahtaan (pure southerners) and Adnan
(mixed northerners), and the three way division of their society into:

1. al-'Arab ul-'Aribah (South Arabian "Kushites" of the oldest purest civilization
    and blood lines)
  2. al-'Arab ul-Muta'aribah (mixed in upon the southerners)

3. al-'Arab ul-Musta'ribah (foreign-origin arabized settlers)

See al Jahiz for more on the preIslamic Arabian blacks and how the reds
attitude toward them changed after Islam, introduced by the Muta'aribah.

Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Supercar... Is it true that Eric the Red was really black? you know it could be that in Viking lore red really means black or it could be that one of those black Moorish knights wantered up to Denmark and began an entire line of black Vikings !!!!
have you heard the rumor that julius caesar was actually black? I know it sounds crazy but, as in all the other topics we talk about on our board, it COULD be true....lets just say it is.

Kem-Au
Member # 1820

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kem-Au     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by alTakruri:

I think Muhammed was born in the Year of the Elephant which marked
the end of Ethiopian rule over Arabia as a consequence of the excesses
of Dhu Nawas. But this was last not the first time there was shared
government across the Bab el Mandeb.

Could you please expand on this? I'm not familiar with any of it, particularly the excesses of Dhu Nawas.

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kem-Au
Member # 1820

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kem-Au     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Is it true that Eric the Red was really black

have you heard the rumor that julius caesar was actually black?

I've heard those rumors.

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
supercar
unregistered

Icon 3 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Supercar... Is it true that Eric the Red was really black? you know it could be that in Viking lore red really means black or it could be that one of those black Moorish knights wantered up to Denmark and began an entire line of black Vikings !!!!
have you heard the rumor that julius caesar was actually black? I know it sounds crazy but, as in all the other topics we talk about on our board, it COULD be true....lets just say it is.

Horemheb, you have a choice. You can deal with reality stuff that is right in front of you; or you can chose to live in the 19th century mindset wonderland. It is safe to say that you've decided to waste your mind in engaging in the latter.

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by supercar:
AlTakruri, that is a good point you just made.

However slippery the usage of the 'Moor' term became, this is what is important to take from Muslim conquests of southern Europe (pointed out earlier in the thread):

"Islam to spread into Western Africa, and enabled Black African warriors to play a dramatic role in southern European history."

[This message has been edited by supercar (edited 20 January 2005).]

Yes the Europeans were most impressed by the al Murabitun and al
Muwahhidun who were mainly Zenaga Imazighen and Gnawa Atlantics
found on either side of the river Senegal. These people became
the Moors par exellant in the European psyche but the Luso Hispanics
did not consider their own familiar nonMuslim Gnawa slaves and
servants as Moors whereas in the British Isles nonMuslim Gnawa were
called Moors, like Elen and Margaret More and Peter Moryen free favorites
and courtiers of queen Margaret and king James of Scotland.

Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
supercar...I think you were the one who obviously did not understand the 'basic concepts' of western civ I gave you the other day. Here is the point...this is all a bunch of pure crappola. Every main line scholar writes how ignorant this Africanists nonsense is. It doesn't mean that everything you say i s wrong but in most cases you are starting from the wrong premise.
if you were a real historian you would pick and field of stidy and try to make a contribuition to the body of knowledge. You wouyld not spend endless hours talking about why the Egyptians were black or showing a statue of spome black worrior and imply that it meant much. Historians are interested in history, you are not. You are interested in blackness and racial politics. Why is that supercar? Bob Brier does write this kind of nonsense, he's interested in Egyptology. Time to grow up and get into a legitimate field where you can make a real contribution.

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Kem-Au:
Could you please expand on this? I'm not familiar with any of it, particularly the excesses of Dhu Nawas.

In a nutshell the Arabian population of the 6th century were mostly
either traditional, Jewish, or Christian. Dhu Nuwas was a Yemini
who converted to Judaism and like many new proselytes was over
zealous and persecuted the Christian elements. The Byzantines and
the Abyssinian Coptics came to the aid of their Arab coreligionists with
the Abyssinians attaining hegemony over the
peninsula.

At some point in time the Abyssinian Coptics decided to overthrow
the site of the Traditionalists at Mecca where the Qa`aba housed
their idols. Elephants were the tanks of those days and when an
elephant mysteriously failed to obey its mahout it made a great
impression on the Arabs who defeated the Abyssinians regaining
their sovereignty.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com