EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Do people over romanticize ancient Egypt?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Do people over romanticize ancient Egypt?
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

After being in various discussions across the internet about ancient Kmt[Egypt] it appears that many people over romanticize Egypt to obsurdity. True the civlization was advanced for its time period but it was not the only advanced civlization in existence. You had people in other regions like MesoAmerica Mesopotamia,and China doing pretty much the same thing that ancient Egyptians were doing.

To me ancient Egypt[Kmt] is more than just pyramids and,inventions,and mathematics. It's part of a living history that I have from my ancestors,and its still alive within me. No matter how many foreigners came and went within Egyptian soil it was something that was simply my heritage. My ancestors were simple farmers from Aswan,and continued to be for many generations.

Ancient Egypt is much more than pyramids. Not evenybody in ancient Egyptian society were nobles or pharaohs or priests. Infact,most were farmers and priests. Are the farmers and craftsmen no less important than the pharaohs and nobles? What is their story?

Is Egypt this utopia of a place where no wrong can exist? Are the Egyptians simply human? Where the Egyptians all innocent people that never stepped on anyone or oppressed them?

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King_Scorpion
Member # 4818

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for King_Scorpion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do think AE is sometimes overly romanticized. One of the reasons it is is because of the Great Pyramid. It's the last standing world wonder.
Posts: 1219 | From: North Carolina, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo*geo
Member # 3466

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for neo*geo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with you Ausar. Here are the reasons I think Egypt gets more attention than other early civilizations:

1 - It's prominance in Judeo-Christian religion. Despite getting cursed in the Torah for the Exodus, Egypt is mentioned very often throughout the book. From Abraham, to Joseph, to Jesus, biblical patriarchs constantly found refuge in Egypt.

2 - Movies. We haven't seen any movies about ancient China or Mesopotamia and I doubt we ever will.

3 - Realistic artwork of the Amarna period. The bust of Nefertiti, and the mask of Tutankamun are two of the most famous pieces of artwork from the ancient world. These pieces of history as well as the Great pyramids, draws a lot of admiration for ancient Egypt.

Posts: 887 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thought2
Member # 4256

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thought2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:

You had people in other regions like MesoAmerica Mesopotamia,and China doing pretty much the same thing that ancient Egyptians were doing.

Thought Writes:

State formation occured about a thousand years later in China and Mesopatamia had City-States, but did not have a unified state as expansive as Ancient Egypt. Egyptian civilization started earlier than Chinese and lasted longer than Sumerian.

Posts: 2720 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Thought Writes:

State formation occured about a thousand years later in China and Mesopatamia had City-States, but did not have a unified state as expansive as Ancient Egypt. Egyptian civilization started earlier than Chinese and lasted longer than Sumerian.

Yes, ancient Egyptian civlization lasted longer than Sumerian only because of the natural location of the Nile Valley. Very few foreigners could penetrate the Nile Valley except for the Delta.

New excavations in China are showing cities as old as 8,000 years in China. Are you aware archaeologist have found man made structures submerged in parts of Taiwan that about this old?

Who knows what a pick or a shovel of archaeologist will turn up.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thought2
Member # 4256

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thought2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
{Yes, ancient Egyptian civlization lasted longer than Sumerian only because of the natural location of the Nile Valley.}

Thought Writes:

What evidence do you have to support this contention?

{New excavations in China are showing cities as old as 8,000 years in China. Are you aware archaeologist have found man made structures submerged in parts of Taiwan that about this old?}

Thought Writes:

Man made structures = cities?

{Who knows what a pick or a shovel of archaeologist will turn up}

Thought Writes:

At this point we will have to wait. However, at present Egypt is older.

[/B][/QUOTE]

Posts: 2720 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Supercar
Member # 6477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Supercar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting questions above.

quote:

Is Egypt this utopia of a place where no wrong can exist? Are the Egyptians simply human? Where the Egyptians all innocent people that never stepped on anyone or oppressed them?

Of course that would be stretching reality. Hawkish moves towards expansion in the 19th Dynasty is noteworthy.

Posts: 5964 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy_2k5
Member # 6397

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy_2k5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:
Yes, ancient Egyptian civlization lasted longer than Sumerian only because of the natural location of the Nile Valley. Very few foreigners could penetrate the Nile Valley except for the Delta.

New excavations in China are showing cities as old as 8,000 years in China. Are you aware archaeologist have found man made structures submerged in parts of Taiwan that about this old?

Who knows what a pick or a shovel of archaeologist will turn up.

They have actually found Harappan-like cities in India (Bay of Cambay & Tamil Nadu)? They are now underwater.

Posts: 212 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com