EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Have Any Of You Reviewed This Book?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Have Any Of You Reviewed This Book?
Thought2
Member # 4256

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thought2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thought Writes:

If so, what is your opinion?

Thought Posts:

Black God: A Afroasiatic Roots Of The Jewish, Christian, And Muslim Religions (Syracuse Univ PR)

Author: Baldick, Julian

A comparative study of the Afroasiatic traditional religions of northern Africa and Arabia. The author argues that there is a common Afroasiatic language in those regions, so is there a common family of religions. He compares traditions as diverse as those in Yemen and Nigeria.

Posts: 2720 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its on inter-library loan. I might recieve this book next week so I will let you know my opinion.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Supercar
Member # 6477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Supercar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
African roots or connections with those religions, although I am not quite sure about the specifics of this author's argument, has been dismissed by some as being far-fetched. A multidisciplinary approach tells a different story.

[This message has been edited by Super car (edited 03 March 2005).]

Posts: 5964 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just recieved this book rhrough inter-library loan,and its not what you think. The title is very misleading,but the book does offer some great detail and study of various Afro-Asiatic cultures from Yemani Arabs,Hausa Nigerians,Tuareg Berbers and et. Basically, it reviews all the cultures of the Afro-Asitic linguistic phylum and then compares and contrasts them.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Supercar
Member # 6477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Supercar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:
I just recieved this book rhrough inter-library loan,and its not what you think. The title is very misleading,but the book does offer some great detail and study of various Afro-Asiatic cultures from Yemani Arabs,Hausa Nigerians,Tuareg Berbers and et. Basically, it reviews all the cultures of the Afro-Asitic linguistic phylum and then compares and contrasts them.

Well and good.

Posts: 5964 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thought2
Member # 4256

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thought2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Thought Writes:

Anything stand out?

Posts: 2720 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Yes, the book uses Herodotus and other Greco-Roman historians that talk about cultural similarities between all Afro-Asiatic groups. Mentions also that the modern Tuareg have a version of sleep incubation that was observed by the ancient Egyptians and also by modern Egyptians.

My only problem with the book is it neglected the cultural pratices of the modern rural Upper Egyptians. This would have been benefical to deeper understanding of some of the customs mentioned.

Also I found it interesting that the Southern Arabs don't circumcise at birth like modern Semitic cultures, but like Africans do it as a puberty rite.

I would definately recommend this book. I will post some excerpts from the book shortly.

In terms of ethnographic material it only says that the outdated Hamitic label wrongly applied is no longer valid. The author related that linguistic labels like Afro-asiatic were not racial and contained various groups within them. So one should not confuse race and lingustics as some often attempt to do.

Supercar
Member # 6477

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Supercar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

In terms of ethnographic material it only says that the outdated Hamitic label wrongly applied is no longer valid. The author related that linguistic labels like Afro-asiatic were not racial and contained various groups within them. So one should not confuse race and lingustics as some often attempt to do.

True, that linguistics in itself isn't racial, but like genealogy it gives us clues on the footprint or path of migrations, i.e. point of origin and destination.

[This message has been edited by Super car (edited 13 March 2005).]

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
The book discusses also break off points of the original Afro-Asiatic phylum. The book uses Igor Diankoff as a reference on Afro-Asiatic.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com