EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Proof the Elder Lady is Queen Tiye.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Proof the Elder Lady is Queen Tiye.
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horemheb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
" The mummy of a woman found in the side chamber of the tomb of Amenhotep II and for years known as the 'Elder lady' has been identified as Queen Tiye. This was done by comparing the measurements obtained from a cephalogram, or lateral head radiogram, of her cranium with those of ten other female mummies known to be connected with the 18th dynasty royal family. It was found that the closest match to the Elder Lady was Thuya, known to be the mother of Tiye. The identification was CONFIRMED by taking control samples of hair , together with strands of hair taken from the head of the Elder Lady , and subjecting theim to ion etching and scaning electron microscope analysis. The same procedure was also used found in the tomb of King Tut and labeled as the hair of Queen Tiye. On the basis that the hair is as peculiar to the individual as his or her fingerprints a match was made. Queen Yiye died in her late forties, her hair still long, naturally curly and blonde."

Barbara Watterson, University of Liverpool

Posts: 5822 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What journal,magazine,or publication did the following information come from?

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horemheb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its from barbara Watterson's new book 'Armarna, Ancient Egypt's Age of Revolution.'

Dr Watterson is right on the mark and we need to put the elder lady dispute to rest. Yes its possible that its someone else but highly unlikely.

Posts: 5822 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the reference. I am curious who conducted these tests. Does the book give in the bibliography or foot notes where these studies were conducted or published?

Usually, you will find such results in a journal or symposium.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you read this book Horemheb?
Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Ausar, why don't you e-mail Dr watterson at the University of Liverpool. Just go to their web site and it should give you her e-mail. Scholars are usually good about answering questions via e-mail.
In her Bibliography she does list a source that might give you her data:

Harris, J.E. Mummy of the Elder Lady in the tomb of Amenhotep II: Egyptian Museum catalog number 61070, in Science, 200, 9 June, 1978, pp 1149-51. (this one is pretty old)
She may not have listed the source of the tests in the Bib, that is why I suggest you e-mail her.

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will do this. The article by James Harris is not old at all. James E. Harris and Kent Weeks are still standard for indentification and examination of mummies.

Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Actually I just went to the University of liverpool and did not find her.....I'll check Google and see what I can find. Hope the bib article helps.
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, the bibliography article did help. I should be able to find her email on the Chicago Oriental Insitute list.

Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
If this data holds up we are looking at a 90% chance the mummy is Queen Tiye. Its always good to pen down the identification of these people. I would like to see the early Thutmose mummies I & II resolved.
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The current issue of Kmt has some nice articles about the current Mummy project underway in Egypt. I haven't read the current issue of Kmt so I can't tell you much about the contents.

Roy_2k5
Member # 6397

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy_2k5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Queen Yiye died in her late forties, her hair still long, naturally curly and blonde."

Ausar did explain why Mummies tend to have blonde hair. Even if she was West Asian looking, it is likely she wasn't a blonde. It is very rare to even find an American with naturally Blonde hair, leave out AE.

Posts: 212 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com