EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » REAL Ancient Egyptian Dance and Music

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: REAL Ancient Egyptian Dance and Music
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the greatest misconceptions about ancient Egypt (besides 'race') is the form of dance and music. When most people think of ancient Egyptian music what always comes to mind is the stereotypical Ali-Baba type tune. Well here is an interesting article that corrects this misinformed view: http://www.belly-dance.org/pharaonic-dance.html

Preface: One thing is for sure: nothing remains of Pharonic dances in Khemet (ancient Egypt). Many people from many places occupied Egypt and no accurate record of ancient Egyptian dance remains in the folklore. My own research on this matter goes in an entire different direction and I will expose it more in the future.

Dances in pharaonic times - when Egypt was called Kemet - were on many occasions merely religious dances or semi-religious like celebrating the harvest.
The relief in the tomb of Ti, Saqqara (5th Dynasty) shows male dancers doing the eye of Horus or wedjat, a religious dance. Apart from other explanations usually given to this symbol, the original meaning of of the wedjat or oudjat is that we are all the divine eyes of God. Horus was being represented as a falcon, indicating the superiority of sight as the falcon has one of the sharpest views. The symbol was later found back on the dollar. The dance was performed to transmit the idea that The Supreme being can see all your actions as He looks through your own as well through your fellow beings' eyes.
Rhythms and ancient Egyptian musical instruments were totally different of what is used in nowadays oriental music. Oriental music is exactly what it says, 'music from the east' and it's origins were in may cases Ottoman where the uneven rhytms that were frequently used up to the 19th century in Egyptian music, such as 10/8 or 5/4 are also found in Turkish classical music. The turkish 'devri hindi' rhythm (in 7/8) even points out the origin in the name. Also the tone scales and melodic modes are Middle Eastern and Central Asian of origin.

Ancient egyptian music extensively used harps and other string instruments like the xalam still used in west-africa. The flute also played a prominent role in the melodic compositions of the pharaonic musicians. The flutes were longer than the ney still widely used in the middle east. The closest does this kind of flute come to an indigenous ethiopian flute up to now used by some Ethiopian tribes.

One might think that ancient egyptian dances were rather static as we contemplate on the pictures of Faraonic dances which were called HBJ in the their language. I believe that this isn't quite the case. Ancient Egypt and Abbysinia have a lot of their musical heritage in common. Sistrums are still used in the religious ceremonies (where they also do some kind of dance) in Ethiopia where the also use a big drum called kebaro. Both were used in Faraonic times. In some remote areas in Ethiopia the Faraonic flute is also found. And the habit to do butter on the head as the ancient egyptians did is still done. As there is no other way to find out how faraonic dances were done, we can only rely on wallpaintings and reliefs. But it is sure that music played an important role. Rhythms we accented by handclaps as well as different of percussion instruments. Certain dancers accompanied themselves on wooden clappers.
Faraonic times showed a variety of dances; some were very acrobatic, some solemn and some vivid. Examples depicted in temples and tombs show dancers doing cartwheels, handstands and backbends. Dances were done in groups and dancers were not only Egyptian but from other countries as well. Costumes of the performer were sometimes nothing more than a kind of leather belt containing fetishes and amulets offering protection against evil forces.

Here is another article on the topic, courtesy of Wysinger: http://www.homestead.com/wysinger/ancientafricanmusic.html

Ritual temple music was largely a matter of the rattling of the sistrum, accompanied by voice, sometimes with harp and/or percussion. Party/festival scenes show ensembles of instruments (lyres, lutes, double and single reed flutes, bone clappers, xalam, and drums). In some remote areas in Ethiopia and West Africa these instruments are still being used.

Egyptian music have changed a great deal during the last couple of millennia. There are less clues to what the music sounded like than we have to how the Egyptian language was pronounced. To get an idea of what the ancient music may have sounded like, coptic church music, and Nubian and Egyptian folk music might be helpful. It was influenced by the Nubian dancing tradition, which became very popular in Rome during the days of the empire, and is still alive in parts of the Sudan today.

Ancient Kemet choreography appears to have been complex. Dances could be mimetic, expressive - similar to modern ballet with pirouettes and the like, or gymnastic, including splits, cartwheels, and backbends.

A few pictures of acrobatic dancers have been found, generally depicting a number of dancers performing the same movement in unison.

Music was an integral part of religious worship in ancient Kemet, so it is not surprising that there were gods specifically associated with music, such as Hathor and Bes (both were also associated with dance, fertility and child birth).

[This message has been edited by Djehuti (edited 21 June 2005).]

Posts: 26236 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
any comments?...

I remember Ausar saying that rural Fellahin music is most similar to those of their ancient ancestors and even Nubian music resembles that of the ancient Egyptians.

Posts: 26236 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Do you think the ancient Egyptians had a notation system? My friend Osaama Alsaadawi thinks the ancient Egyptians had a notion system. An Egyptologist named Hans Hickman did some studies published in German studying rural Egyptian music and modern Coptic music to try to see if any such music still survives.

In various tombs in Egypt are pictures of people playing instrument in pairs with a person using their hands. Some have argued these are really nothing more than people improvising but Han Hickman did argue these people in the tomb scenes were really signs of notation.

I think the rural Egyptians might give us some clues about how ancient Egyptian music sounded like,but understand also that many foreign influences even exist amongst the rural Egyptians. Ottoman Turk,Arabian,and even Gypsy influences are amongst the rural Egyptians in terms of music.Many of the instruments used are also of foreign origin.

The only instrument I know of that is indigenous to Egypt is a double clarinet called the zummara.

Anyway, here is a link to a dicussion that we had with my friend Ossama Alsaadawi and others:

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/Forum8/HTML/000473.html

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keins
Member # 6476

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that Lower Nubians might have a more similar music to AE because of less outside influences and the closeness and continuity of the nile valley civilization. The Coptic population is probably a good source too as the article says. But in order to get a good understanding of many issues of AE you have to examine the other african countries that surrounded AE. The keys to AE lies deep in Africa like so many recent facts and research has shown.

By the way, do any of you guys realize how some schools of thought try to relate and define Africa by the "middle east". I have this friend who tried to tell me that a particular noise "middle easterners" (Particularly Syrians and Lebonese) make with their tongue is middle eastern. I forgot the term for the sound but its common in many african populations.

Ausar is that still done in modern Egypt?

Posts: 318 | From: PA. USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
windstorm2005
Member # 6629

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for windstorm2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Djehuti, good topic, though it's a little hard reading the thread with such a large image in there.

I remember reading somewhere that there was a certain special spiritual music in kemet that was said to be effective in healing scorpion stings and psychological problems.

This is interesting because these are the precise same afflictions that gnawa trance music (said to be brought to morrocco by african slaves) was traditionally purported to heal. Gnawa music even sounds like the music described above -- rattling of the sistrum, clappers, etc.

A little off-topic: My favorite piece runs more than 40 minutes. It's called "Sound Playing" and according to the liner notes, is about the Bambara, "the ancient civilization that the Gnawa have lost memory of, but they continute to sing the history of..."

I can make out the words "allah" in there a lot, and "allahu akbar" but that's about it. I'm actually hoping one day to get a translation & transliteration somewhere.

---

THE HISTORY OF THE GNAWA

These Black healer musicians of Morocco called Gnawa (G'na'ua) were brought there hundreds of years ago from Sub-Sahara Africa (Ghana, Guinea, Mali, Senegal, Niger) Western Sudan, as slaves and also used as soldiers in 1591, at the time of the conquest of Mali, by the sultan of Marrakech, Ahmed El Mansur. Mulay Ismail (1672-1727) in Meknes and Mulay Abdullah (1757-1790) in Essouira did the same, later. They were all converted to Islam and formed a brotherhood. They unite under the protection of the holy marabout, Sidi Bilal, a Black slave freed by the Prophet Mohammed (PBUH). Sidi Bilal became the first muezzin (caller to prayer) of Islam.

The Gnawa musicians are master musicians who believe that everyone has a color and a note to which he or she vibrates. Each individual responds to his or her chosen color and note as the healer musicians play the hag'houge (guinbre), in particular. ...This music is also used to extol God and the spirits of the saints.

The Gnawa are noted for their healing ceremonies, called the Leila. ...

These healer musicians are often hired for purification ceremonies, and they are also known for their ability to treat scorpion stings and psychic disorders, mostly by the sheer power of the Gnawa rhythms.

-- from http://home.wanadoo.nl/dargnawa/SplendidMasters.htm

[This message has been edited by windstorm2005 (edited 20 May 2005).]

Posts: 56 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I think that Lower Nubians might have a more similar music to AE because of less outside influences and the closeness and continuity of the nile valley civilization. The Coptic population is probably a good source too as the article says. But in order to get a good understanding of many issues of AE you have to examine the other african countries that surrounded AE. The keys to AE lies deep in Africa like so many recent facts and research has shown

Only problem we are faced with is defining what ancient Egyptian music sounded like. We have no recordings from ancient Egypt,and we only got a fraction of the instruments that survive. I imagine that secular music would have varied and been much different from priestly music. Ancient Egyptians had songs for funerals,weddings,temple devotion,and just about every activity.

The modern fellahin often sing while working in the field much like the call and responce of most African people.

During funerals in rural parts of Upper Egypt you often see women let out these songs that nobody understand the words to. Many believe these songs are spoken in pure ancient Egyptian dialect.

here is an example:

Asking her about Pharaonic music which she had come to know much about, living such a long period of time in Luxor, she comments: "Pharaonic music, as transcribed, was only dancing or clapping, or just an expression of singing. It was also instrumental, but no form of ritual music was ever portrayed. You can tell this by the throats drawn on their paintings and engravings. But the tunes are lost. We have never heard and will never hear Pharaonic tunes. There are no scores except in Upper Egyptian funerals, where you hear women singing the lamentation or the Ta'did, lamenting the deceased, and they sang it in a language that I did not know. It wasn't Arabic; it was some syllables and words that came from the past. What past? We don't know. That was the heritage coming from ancient Egyptian and which has not died. I have some recordings of it." Intrigued by her explanation, I concluded then that if lamenting or Ta'did was the theme of Pharaonic tunes, then the Pharaohs must have been always sad! Martha explained knowledgeably: "No, not sad, because to them music was neither sad nor glad. It was not an expression of the emotions. It was an expression of their appreciation of the deceased. They did not think anything about the music; whether happy or not. It was what the music said that was important. Death in itself did not have to be a sad event. The loss and separation only caused sadness, but death in itself was not; they believed in incarnation."
http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2000/475/profile.htm

I agree with you about Nubian music,and its also a source to reserch in understanding more about the ancient Egyptian music. Definately Nile Valley music would have reflected the styles of the countries it surrounded.

Many of the hymns inscribed on the wall were meant to sing. One of the most famous Hymn called Hymn to Aten was meant to be sung. Along with others.

However, you also have to understand that many of the musical instruments in ancient Egypt were of foreign origin. During the Middle Kingdom and New Kingdom Egyptian music probably absorbed some Asiatic elements. There are pictures of harps being played by Bedouins in the tomb of Beni Hassan.

quote:

By the way, do any of you guys realize how some schools of thought try to relate and define Africa by the "middle east". I have this friend who tried to tell me that a particular noise "middle easterners" (Particularly Syrians and Lebonese) make with their tongue is middle eastern. I forgot the term for the sound but its common in many african populations.

Ausar is that still done in modern Egypt?

I know of the action that people across the so-called Middle East do with their tongue. Usually this is done by bedouins during joyous occasions like weddings. I haven't seen too many people in Egypt do this but I have seen it amongst the Bedouin tribes that live in some parts of Middle Egypt. It seems to me perhaps a bedouin trait.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Do you think the ancient Egyptians had a notation system? My friend Osaama Alsaadawi thinks the ancient Egyptians had a notion system. An Egyptologist named Hans Hickman did some studies published in German studying rural Egyptian music and modern Coptic music to try to see if any such music still survives.

I don't really know Ausar, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did!

Herodotus himself said the Egyptian were "a very rythmic people" and referred to how they were so much into dance and music. He even notes their custom of hand-clapping during performances. Such a custom is widespread in Africa, especially in North and East Africa. I've seen web-footage of Beja nomads clapping to the beats of their tribal music and their musical traditions seem to be closer to those of the AE.

quote:
Only problem we are faced with is defining what ancient Egyptian music sounded like. We have no recordings from ancient Egypt,and we only got a fraction of the instruments that survive. I imagine that secular music would have varied and been much different from priestly music. Ancient Egyptians had songs for funerals,weddings,temple devotion,and just about every activity.

As I understand it, what went on inside the temples was only known to the priests, pharoah, and other high officials. So although secular music would be more well known, the problem is that it got very influenced by foreigners.

I agree with Keins that Nubian music is more authentic, since it recieved little foreign influence.

quote:
The modern fellahin often sing while working in the field much like the call and responce of most African people.

Yes, I've seen this alot!

Another thing I want to learn more about are the dances. From what can be made out from tomb paintings, dances varied from simple easy going steps and movements to wild acrobatic and perhaps more complex movements, like those seen in other African cultures. I've seen the paintings of the dancing girls doing flips and others of what appear to be girls leaning down then going back up again. I often wonder if such dances correlate with those of the Beja or other peoples in Ethiopia with the up and down torso and shoulder movements like they were doing the 'bounce'. LOL

[This message has been edited by Djehuti (edited 20 May 2005).]

Keins
Member # 6476

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ausar said: I agree with you about Nubian music,and its also a source to reserch in understanding more about the ancient Egyptian music. Definately Nile Valley music would have reflected the styles of the countries it surrounded.

Many of the hymns inscribed on the wall were meant to sing. One of the most famous Hymn called Hymn to Aten was meant to be sung. Along with others.

However, you also have to understand that many of the musical instruments in ancient Egypt were of foreign origin. During the Middle Kingdom and New Kingdom Egyptian music probably absorbed some Asiatic elements. There are pictures of harps being played by Bedouins in the tomb of Beni Hassan.

-------------------------------------------

I understand what you are saying. I know that AE music (as all music) was not static. It evolved and incoporated different elements of various influences from foreigners. So we will have to conceptualize and understand AE music in terms of time period. My conjecture is that the very earliest of AE music (pre-dynastic) would be very close to ancient lower nubian music and probably have some similarities with today's music in sudan. Today Sudan has a pretty good Arab influence and that has diluted and altered the original music before the arab influx.

So at what time period would these foreign insturments would have been introduced? Were they incorporated purely due to trade without the foreign cultural influence or significance? Are there any pre-dynastic instruments that are/were foreign?

Posts: 318 | From: PA. USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member

Not really sure what instruments have been found in pre-dyanstic Egypt. The Sistra used in ancient Egypt came from attaching papyrus stalks together on a rattle. The Sistra is still used in the Ethiopian Tawedo[Ethiopian Orthodox Church]. Most instruments in ancient Egypt have been found during the dyanstic era.

The foreign influence in ancient Egyptian music mostly came around the Middle and New Kingdom period. During this time Egyptians had more contact with Western Asian groups. This is why I mentioned a picture of a lyre being played by a bedouin in the tomb of Beni Hassan. You also see Asiatics playing certain instruments.

Most of it was through trade but probably also Asiatic immigrants settling in parts of Lower Egypt and around Men-nefer[Memphis] Many of them settled there as economic immigrants,captives,or craftsmen.

kovert, the one and only
Member # 5017

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kovert, the one and only     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting were the words and languages identified? Were they a form of Coptic? How long ago was this observation made?

quote:
Originally posted by ausar:

During funerals in rural parts of Upper Egypt you often see women let out these songs that nobody understand the words to. Many believe these songs are spoken in pure ancient Egyptian dialect.

here is an example:

Asking her about Pharaonic music which she had come to know much about, living such a long period of time in Luxor, she comments: "Pharaonic music, as transcribed, was only dancing or clapping, or just an expression of singing. It was also instrumental, but no form of ritual music was ever portrayed. You can tell this by the throats drawn on their paintings and engravings. But the tunes are lost. We have never heard and will never hear Pharaonic tunes. There are no scores except in Upper Egyptian funerals, where you hear women singing the lamentation or the Ta'did, lamenting the deceased, and they sang it in a language that I did not know. It wasn't Arabic; it was some syllables and words that came from the past. What past? We don't know. That was the heritage coming from ancient Egyptian and which has not died. I have some recordings of it." Intrigued by her explanation, I concluded then that if lamenting or Ta'did was the theme of Pharaonic tunes, then the Pharaohs must have been always sad! Martha explained knowledgeably: "No, not sad, because to them music was neither sad nor glad. It was not an expression of the emotions. It was an expression of their appreciation of the deceased. They did not think anything about the music; whether happy or not. It was what the music said that was important. Death in itself did not have to be a sad event. The loss and separation only caused sadness, but death in itself was not; they believed in incarnation."

Posts: 253 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ausar, do you agree that indigenous Egyptian musical instruments are also found in Ethiopia? If so, do you think it is due to Egyptian influence or common origin?

What about the dances? Are there any indigenous dances remaining among the rural Fellahin?

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

What indigenous instruments besides the Sistra are still found in Ethiopia? Have not investigated this further but there could be a connection through common origin or trade. Some instruments that the ancient Egyptians borrowed like the lute was modified into its own form,and you know it in Arabic as al-Oud[the Wood] which would become the guitar.

As far as dances indigenous to Egypt are very few. I know of a martial art type dance that is done with naboot[long shaft like sticks] called Tahtib. Tahtib was used by the ancient Egyptians to train soliders to fight. This survives today in rural parts of Egypt. The dance is dying off because most people in modern rural Egypt in Upper Egypt solve conflicts with guns instead of naboots in the modern era.

Kovert, I don't know if the funeral laments are song in Coptic but it certainly is not Arabic. Lots of the songs of the Fellahin survive in their original Coptic form insteade of Arabic. Could be a key indication of a more ancient origin for these songs.

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
quote:
What indigenous instruments besides the Sistra are still found in Ethiopia?

Ancient Egypt and Abbysinia have a lot of their musical heritage in common. Sistrums are still used in the religious ceremonies (where they also do some kind of dance) in Ethiopia where the also use a big drum called kebaro. Both were used in Faraonic times. In some remote areas in Ethiopia the Faraonic flute is also found. And the habit to do butter on the head as the ancient egyptians did is still done.

I was wondering if there were any more instruments.

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

The only instrument I know that survives from antiquity is the zummara. A type of reed clarinet still used in Egyptian folk music.

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ausar, what about dances?
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Djehuti, scroll up and read the post that I posted before your posts about pharaonic instruments in modern Ethiopia. I mentioned a type of martial art dance called tahtib that definately has a pharaonic origin.

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
quote:
Djehuti, scroll up and read the post that I posted before your posts about pharaonic instruments in modern Ethiopia. I mentioned a type of martial art dance called tahtib that definately has a pharaonic origin.

I meant other than the tahtib dance!

Amen Ra
Member # 7912

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amen Ra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hetepu all this is my first time in the forum i found the discussion reeeeeeeeeeally interesting and wondered if anyone had read egyptian rhythms by Moustafa Gadalla...

it covers a lot of information this i mean a lot!!!

his basic premise is this...

the ancients egyptian practises are pretty much alive and well in egypt but they r under the veil of islam

he speaks of the traditions of the baladi [indigenous egyptians]being those of the ancients including music

he links the music with the calendar and language as well

lots of good stuff to me

this is a link to the site
http://www.egypt-tehuti.org/articles/music.html

Posts: 1 | From: Barbados | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Lazar
Member # 10869

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lazar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=003839
Ballet remains as a real ancient Eygtian Dance--straight from the Metu Neter.

You do know that the word Metu Neter is none other than the greek corruption of hieroglyphics, correct?

Posts: 80 | From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yom
Member # 11256

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I know of the action that people across the so-called Middle East do with their tongue. Usually this is done by bedouins during joyous occasions like weddings. I haven't seen too many people in Egypt do this but I have seen it amongst the Bedouin tribes that live in some parts of Middle Egypt. It seems to me perhaps a bedouin trait.

It's called ululation. It's not just Middle Eastern, it's done in Ethiopia too.
Posts: 1024 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yom
Member # 11256

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
quote:
What indigenous instruments besides the Sistra are still found in Ethiopia?
Ancient Egypt and Abbysinia have a lot of their musical heritage in common. Sistrums are still used in the religious ceremonies (where they also do some kind of dance) in Ethiopia where the also use a big drum called kebaro. Both were used in Faraonic times. In some remote areas in Ethiopia the Faraonic flute is also found. And the habit to do butter on the head as the ancient egyptians did is still done.

I was wondering if there were any more instruments.

Washint (flute), Begena (large lyre), Masinqo (fiddle), krar (lyre), kebero (drum), nagarit (large drum used to call soldiers to war played right before a king marches into battle, hence the name). If I think some more, maybe a couple more will come to me, but you already mentioned the systrum, and those are pretty much the basics

BTW, does anyone know the etymology of the word Ululation? It sounds a lot like the Amharic word (ililta, with -ta being a noun marker like -ation; maybe it's cognate with an Arabic word used for the name?).

Posts: 1024 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Yom.

I would also like to point out that when it comes to African musical instruments, people always think of drums when they have so many other kinds like wood-winds, strings, and even brass intruments. At the same time, when people think of ancient Egyptian musical intruments, they always think of flutes and other woodwinds when the Egyptians also used drums.

Also, why is that Ali-baba type Arab tune become synonomous with Ancient Egypt to the point that it has become the national anthem of ancient Egypt?!

BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Also, why is that Ali-baba type Arab tune become synonomous with Ancient Egypt to the point that it has become the national anthem of ancient Egypt?!
Probably because that's the kind of music that modern Egyptians (or at least the most influential ones) listen to.

I agree that most people tend to think of African music as "Lion King"-like, with drums and chanting---I myself was quite surprised to learn that banjos came from west Africa, considering that banjo music has become the national anthem of rural whites in the southeastern USA. However, it isn't just African music which gets associated with drums---there's a tendency to stereotype non-Eurasian music in general as the beating of "tribal drums" and chanting (and maybe woodwinds in the case of native Americans). It seems that string tends to evoke images of European, Middle Eastern, or east Asian cultures.

Posts: 7069 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^The problem is that people are not that exposed to many cultures from those continents or regions of the world.

There are East Asian tribal groups who use drums as well as wood-winds and stringed instruments and there are non-tribal groups who use them. The Chinese use drums also and not just violins which you hear in many Chinese-themed media.

To show just how bad the ignorance and lack of information was, I saw a Discovery channel program about ancient cities. When they showed a reconstruction of what ancient Kushite capital of Kerma was, they actually played the same "Lion King" style of music you were talking about! But then again, it's not really surprising since the show called Kerma an African civilization but not Egypt and they played Middle-Eastern music for the Egyptian city reconstructions.

BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

There are East Asian tribal groups who use drums as well as wood-winds and stringed instruments and there are non-tribal groups who use them. The Chinese use drums also and not just violins which you hear in many Chinese-themed media.

I've heard several drumbeats in Chinese-themed media, though those string instruments (as well as gongs) do sound more like quintessential Chinese music to most Western ears.

quote:
To show just how bad the ignorance and lack of information was, I saw a Discovery channel program about ancient cities. When they showed a reconstruction of what ancient Kushite capital of Kerma was, they actually played the same "Lion King" style of music you were talking about! But then again, it's not really surprising since the show called Kerma an African civilization but not Egypt and they played Middle-Eastern music for the Egyptian city reconstructions.
LOL!

Speaking of The Lion King, I have a new hypothesis on why Westerners tend to view Africa as primitive---they associate Africa not with its people, but with its animals. Since Africa wasn't as badly affected as other parts of the world by the extinction of megafauana at the end of the last ice age, Westerners tend to envision Africa as a rolling landscape roamed by all the colorful large mammals indigenous to the continent. They don't spend that much time focusing on the people.

Posts: 7069 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
A good place to look for vestages of the ancient Egyptian music is with the rural Upper Egyptians and Nubians. The problem you might face is the lack of notation in ancient Egyptian music that leaves us clueless how ancient Egyptian music sounded. Some have argued the liturgy of the Coptic church is representation of temple music used in ancient Egypt but we see lots of influences from outside sources like Byzantine Greeks or Jews. The other problem with rural Egyptian music is some instruments have very recently non-ancient Egyptian origin such as the Rahab and mizmar. The drums played are usually Riq and Darbuka which might come from ancient Egypt. A clarinet played by folk musicians in modern Egypt called the zummara probably comes from ancient Egypt[they produce a high pitched buzzing sound similar to the bagpipes]

Here is an excerpt from Lise Manniche about the clarinets:

Egyptian clarinet today exists in two veisons its vibrating reed cut from the lower end of the mouthpiece ,and the
mashura with the reed cut from the upper end. The reed instrument in the ensembles [mmt] has generally been
identified as a single reed,that is to say a clarinet,although it is
by no means clear from the representations or from surviving examples
what kind of mouthpiece would have been used. The instrument is
virtually identical in apperance to the instrument used in modern
Egypt folk music in that is consists of two parallel tubes of equal
length tied toghter ,the konts secured with resin.

page 28

Egyptian clarinet today exists in two verisons:the zummara,which has
its vibrating reed cut from the lower end of the mouthpiece ,and the
mashura with the reed cut from the upper end.

page 29

Music and Musicians in Ancient Egypt

Lise Manniche

ISBN 0-486-27171-4

If you would like to purchase or hear rural Egyptian folk music here is the link:

Lise Manniche

ISBN 0-486-27171-4

Ensemble Mizmar Baladi [ORIGINAL RECORDING REISSUED]
Musicians Of The Nile

From Luxor to Isna
Musicians Of The Nile

Music of Upper & Lower Egypt [LIVE]

Also I recommend the book by Lise Manniche:

Lise Manniche

ISBN 0-486-27171-4

Yom
Member # 11256

Member Rated:
quote:
A good place to look for vestages of the ancient Egyptian music is with the rural Upper Egyptians and Nubians. The problem you might face is the lack of notation in ancient Egyptian music that leaves us clueless how ancient Egyptian music sounded. Some have argued the liturgy of the Coptic church is representation of temple music used in ancient Egypt but we see lots of influences from outside sources like Byzantine Greeks or Jews. The other problem with rural Egyptian music is some instruments have very recently non-ancient Egyptian origin such as the Rahab and mizmar. The drums played are usually Riq and Darbuka which might come from ancient Egypt. A clarinet played by folk musicians in modern Egypt called the zummara probably comes from ancient Egypt[they produce a high pitched buzzing sound similar to the bagpipes]

Hmm..I wonder if that's a common Semitic root or Afro-asiatic root with Ethiopian semitic.

The root z-m-r means to sing in Ethiosemitic (in amharic, the infinitive is "mezemer," he sang is "zemere," singer is "azmari").

What's the difference between "mizmar" and "zummara?" They seem to be of the same root.

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Underpants Man:

I've heard several drumbeats in Chinese-themed media, though those string instruments (as well as gongs) do sound more like quintessential Chinese music to most Western ears.

Quintessential or stereotypical?? Chinese music is not monomelodic since there are various styles of traditional Chinese music.

quote:
LOL!

Speaking of The Lion King, I have a new hypothesis on why Westerners tend to view Africa as primitive---they associate Africa not with its people, but with its animals. Since Africa wasn't as badly affected as other parts of the world by the extinction of megafauana at the end of the last ice age, Westerners tend to envision Africa as a rolling landscape roamed by all the colorful large mammals indigenous to the continent. They don't spend that much time focusing on the people.

The fauna could be one reason, or it could just be the centuries of misinformation and of the "undeveloped" "savage" African that has been circulating from the reports of explorers to famous series like Tarzan etc.
Tee85
Member # 10823

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tee85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Shakin dat ass like a salt shaker" is probably tha dance they used to do. Just playing

I always imagined their music being like Arabian nights or Alladin type stuff.

Posts: 290 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

quote:
"Shakin dat ass like a salt shaker" is probably tha dance they used to do. Just playing
I doubt it, though they may have talked with that kind of "hip-hop" accent for all we know.

quote:
I always imagined their music being like Arabian nights or Alladin type stuff.
That was the "Ali Baba" tune Djehuti was complaining about.

Funny, I personally liked to imagine their music as "Lion Kingish", but seriously I doubt it was that either.

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Yom
Member # 11256

Member Rated:
Apparently, the word ululation is completely unrelated to the Amharic ililta, or any Semitic root. Link.

Not very surprising, since it's basicaly an onomatopoeia, I guess.

Btw, Ausar, looking up the etymology, Azmari was apparently in the past only referred to one who was hired to sing praises of nobleman's prowess in battle. It also strictly only referred to players of the mesinqo (fiddle), and not to lyre players, for example.

Does any of this bear any light?

--------------------
"Oh the sons of Ethiopia; observe with care; the country called Ethiopia is, first, your mother; second, your throne; third, your wife; fourth, your child; fifth, your grave." - Ras Alula Aba Nega.

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Could be releated,Yom. Still I don't much relationship to the mezmar because its reed type instrument instead of a lyre or fiddle. Sources are not real clear on its origin.
Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myra Wysinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Arched Wooden Harp

-

From the tomb of Thauenany (Any), in a private cemetery at Qurna (Western Thebes)
New Kingdom, XVIII Dynasty, 1534-1296 B.C.
Housed at the British Museum

Model ladle-shaped harp made of wood, inlaid with bone and faience. The sound box has the head of deity wearing a double crown and striped head-dress at its end. The underside and lower part of the harp's neck are decorated with a floral pattern. The falcon head at the top of the neck is characteristic of this type of harp.

The tranquil and hypnotic sound of the harp was thought to please the gods and so it was often played as a solo instrument; it was also used to accompany a singer, or as part of an elaborate orchestra. Large floor harps were popular during the Old Kingdom (Ruiz 2001: 61). Scholars have sought to discover some form of musical notation system from ancient Egypt, but have been unable to do so.

Africa's distribution of the arched harp

-
Map from Blench, Roger (2002)

British linguist, ethnomusicologist/development anthropologist Roger Blench wrote:

"If we have a possible historical scenario for the spread of the arched harp, then it is worth attaching some plausible dates to it, based on what evidence there is from North Africa and Egypt. The following is a highly tentative historical scenario for the arched harp:

1. Evolution in Egypt/ Near East/ North Africa 5000 BP
2. Spread eastwards shortly afterwards
3. Spread along North African coast by 4000 BP
4. Spread through the Central Sahara 3000 BP onwards
5. Spread down the Nile 3000 BP onwards
6. Nucleus area forms in Mandara mountains 2500 BP onwards
7. Spread to Central Africa 2000 BP onwards
8. Spread to Southern Cameroun/Gabon after 1500 BP
9. Spread to source of Nile region 1000 BP

It seems most likely that the harp was widespread in both North Africa and the Near East some 5000 years ago and that it spread southwards, both down the Nile corridor and directly across the desert from North Africa. One reason for thinking this is that arched harps are regularly illustrated in rock-paintings from the Ennedi in Chad (Bailloud 1997, ill. 109, 155). The Ennedi rock-paintings are not directly dated and must be assigned to phases based on style and content. The earliest illustration of an arched harp is in the pre-cameline period which can be assigned to prior to 2000 BP (Blench 2002). This rock-painting was judged sufficiently iconic to be reproduced on a Chadian postage stamp in 1967."

-

Reference:

Bailloud, Gerard. Art Rupestre en Ennedi: Looking for Rock Paintings and Engravings in the Ennedi Hills Saint-Maur: Editions Sépia, 1997.
Blench, Roger. Reconstructing African Music History: Methods and Results, SAFA Conference, 2002
Ruiz, Ana. The Spirit of Ancient Egypt, Algora Publishing, 2001

Posts: 1549 | From: California, USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ebony Allen
Member # 12771

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ebony Allen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The tambourine is of Middle Eastern origin.
Posts: 603 | From: Mobile, Alabama | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

BUMP

I wonder, would the common people of Egypt have listened to the same kind of music as the elite Egyptians? I was wondering if the more cosmopolitan elites would have listened to music with more foreign influences.

--------------------

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

zarahan aka Enrique Cardova
Member # 15718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zarahan aka Enrique Cardova     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by T. Rex:
BUMP

I wonder, would the common people of Egypt have listened to the same kind of music as the elite Egyptians? I was wondering if the more cosmopolitan elites would have listened to music with more foreign influences.

Hard to say. Perhaps the music of the elite
was drawn from that of the masses, refined and
elaborated in the various royal and noble courts
over time. Foriegn influences would no doubt
come into play with the coming of the Hyskos
and others, or maybe trade.

Those harps througout various parts of Africa do
not surprise me. There is a lot from the Sahara
and Nubia, and the Sudan in Egypt, from pottery,
to tools, to the rock art motifs of the Saharans.
Music would be quite an indigenous thing.
Even in religion, there are the cattle cults and
as noted elsewhere:

Encyclopedia Britannica 1984 ed. Macropedia
Article, Vol 6: "Egyptian Religion" , pg 506-508

"A large number of gods go back to prehistoric
times. The images of a cow and star goddess
(Hathor), the falcon (Horus), and the human-
shaped figures of the fertility god (Min) can be
traced back to that period. Some rites, such as
the "running of the Apil-bull," the "hoeing of
the ground," and other fertility and hunting
rites (e.g., the hippopotamus hunt) presumably
date from early times.. Connections with the
religions in southwest Asia cannot be traced
with certainty."

"It is doubtful whether Osiris can be regarded
as equal to Tammuz or Adonis, or whether Hathor
is related to the "Great Mother." There are
closer relations with northeast African
religions. The numerous animal cults (especially
bovine cults and panther gods) and details of
ritual dresses (animal tails, masks, grass
aprons, etc) probably are of African origin. The
kinship in particular shows some African elements,
such as the king as the head ritualist
(i.e., medicine man), the limitations and
renewal of the reign (jubilees, regicide), and
the position of the king's mother (a matriarchal
element). Some of them can be found among the
Ethiopians in Napata and Meroe, others among the
Prenilotic tribes (Shilluk)."

Explorer's blog roundup of cultural linkages is
the most comprehensive one I've seen.

Egypt-Africa cultural similarities
http://exploring-africa.blogspot.com/2008/11/examples-of-cultural-similarities.html

Wikipedia blurb- Egyptian music:
Egyptian music has been an integral part of
Egyptian culture since ancient times. The
ancient Egyptians credited the god Thoth with
the invention of music, which Osiris in turn
used as part of his effort to civilize the
world. The earliest material and
representational evidence of Egyptian musical instruments
dates to the Predynastic period, but
the evidence is more securely attested in the
Old Kingdom when harps, flutes and double
clarinets were played.[1] Percussion
instruments, lyres and lutes were added to
orchestras by the Middle Kingdom. Cymbals[2] frequently accompanied
music and dance, much as
they still do in Egypt today. Egyptian folk
music, including the traditional Sufi zikr
rituals, are the closest contemporary music
genre to ancient Egyptian music, having
preserved many of its features, rhythms and
instruments.[3][4]

gotta love these musicians..

-

Posts: 5905 | From: The Hammer | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

BUMP

This webpage reports that ancient Egyptian music had a pentatonic scale (i.e. five tones) different from that prevalent in the Near East:

quote:
Ancient Egyptian music was based on a minor pentatonic scale of five full tones without halftones. This fact can be inferred from the positions of the holes on flutes.

During the New Kingdom, when foreign conquest brought Egyptians into closer contact with Asiatic peoples and their music and many new instruments and with them new sound qualities were introduced, they also encountered the scales prevailing in the Near East. On the whole they seem to have preferred keeping their traditional tonality, although some musicologists think that during this period they began to use a heptatonic scale.

And if we can trust Wikipedia, pentatonic scales are characteristic of West African and Ethiopian music.

--------------------

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Excellent finding, Truth! Just the info I was looking for. [Smile]
BrandonP
Member # 3735

quote:
^ Excellent finding, Truth! Just the info I was looking for. [Smile]

You were looking for this kind of information recently? How come?
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^ No not recently but quite a while back.
Amun-Ra The Ultimate
Member # 20039

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amun-Ra The Ultimate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Myra Wysinger:
Arched Wooden Harp

-

From the tomb of Thauenany (Any), in a private cemetery at Qurna (Western Thebes)
New Kingdom, XVIII Dynasty, 1534-1296 B.C.
Housed at the British Museum

Model ladle-shaped harp made of wood, inlaid with bone and faience. The sound box has the head of deity wearing a double crown and striped head-dress at its end. The underside and lower part of the harp's neck are decorated with a floral pattern. The falcon head at the top of the neck is characteristic of this type of harp.

The tranquil and hypnotic sound of the harp was thought to please the gods and so it was often played as a solo instrument; it was also used to accompany a singer, or as part of an elaborate orchestra. Large floor harps were popular during the Old Kingdom (Ruiz 2001: 61). Scholars have sought to discover some form of musical notation system from ancient Egypt, but have been unable to do so.

Africa's distribution of the arched harp

-
Map from Blench, Roger (2002)

British linguist, ethnomusicologist/development anthropologist Roger Blench wrote:

"If we have a possible historical scenario for the spread of the arched harp, then it is worth attaching some plausible dates to it, based on what evidence there is from North Africa and Egypt. The following is a highly tentative historical scenario for the arched harp:

1. Evolution in Egypt/ Near East/ North Africa 5000 BP
2. Spread eastwards shortly afterwards
3. Spread along North African coast by 4000 BP
4. Spread through the Central Sahara 3000 BP onwards
5. Spread down the Nile 3000 BP onwards
6. Nucleus area forms in Mandara mountains 2500 BP onwards
7. Spread to Central Africa 2000 BP onwards
8. Spread to Southern Cameroun/Gabon after 1500 BP
9. Spread to source of Nile region 1000 BP

It seems most likely that the harp was widespread in both North Africa and the Near East some 5000 years ago and that it spread southwards, both down the Nile corridor and directly across the desert from North Africa. One reason for thinking this is that arched harps are regularly illustrated in rock-paintings from the Ennedi in Chad (Bailloud 1997, ill. 109, 155). The Ennedi rock-paintings are not directly dated and must be assigned to phases based on style and content. The earliest illustration of an arched harp is in the pre-cameline period which can be assigned to prior to 2000 BP (Blench 2002). This rock-painting was judged sufficiently iconic to be reproduced on a Chadian postage stamp in 1967."

-

Reference:

Bailloud, Gerard. Art Rupestre en Ennedi: Looking for Rock Paintings and Engravings in the Ennedi Hills Saint-Maur: Editions Sépia, 1997.
Blench, Roger. Reconstructing African Music History: Methods and Results, SAFA Conference, 2002
Ruiz, Ana. The Spirit of Ancient Egypt, Algora Publishing, 2001

Seeing those graph and the reach of the harp instrument in Africa up to Western Africa. I remembered seeing some books about the Fang and their relationship with this harped instrument and Egypt (religious). They call it the Mvett. The fang live in the Gabon, Cameroon, Equatorial Guinea region. I note it since there's books written about it.
Posts: 2981 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amun-Ra The Ultimate
Member # 20039

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amun-Ra The Ultimate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
A Nubian drummer carrying his instrument with raised arms, Tomb of Tjanuny (TT74), 18th Dyn during Tuthmosis IV

Posts: 2981 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dana marniche
Member # 13149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dana marniche   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Zahi believes ancient Egyptian music sounded much like some of the Nubian type played today. He gave me a whole pamphlet the musical styles of Egypt.

--------------------
D. Reynolds-Marniche

Posts: 4226 | From: New Jersey, USA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^ Yes, Ausar mentioned this several times before. Of course Zahi no doubt considers Nubians to be 'Caucasians' as well. LOL

By the way, do you have any info from that pamphlet?

--------------------
Mahirap gisingin ang nagtutulog-tulugan.

dana marniche
Member # 13149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dana marniche   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
^ Yes, Ausar mentioned this several times before. Of course Zahi no doubt considers Nubians to be 'Caucasians' as well. LOL

By the way, do you have any info from that pamphlet?

I'm pretty sure I have the pamphlet somewhere around the house Djehuti. WIll have to look for it though.
Posts: 4226 | From: New Jersey, USA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
"Diodorus...describes the love of Osiris for music, and singing, and dancing...throws light on
one of the most important features of the African religion and the character of the African.
All Nilotic peoples are greatly addicted to dancing, and they never seem able to perform any
ceremony without dancing; they dance at weddings and they dance at funerals, and dancing
among many tribes constitutes an act of worship of the highest and most solemn
importance...(the Ancient Egyptians) considered certain dances to be acts of worship.
" -- p.231 Osiris and the Legends of the Egyptian Gods by E.A. Wallis Budge.

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
quote:

In various tombs in Egypt are pictures of people playing instrument in pairs with a person using their hands. Some have argued these are really nothing more than people improvising but Han Hickman did argue these people in the tomb scenes were really signs of notation...

-

-

-

-

BrandonP
Member # 3735

A couple of barrel-shaped drums from ancient Egypt:

-
 -

I wonder what they would have sounded like when played?

--------------------

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com