EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » What's up with cowrys?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What's up with cowrys?
windstorm2005
Member # 6629

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for windstorm2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cowry shells were coveted in Ancient Egypt, cowry shells were currency in Ancient China, cowry shells were traded everywhere.

What's behind this? Cultural diffusion? Why the cowry? How widespread is the natural range of this cowry organism? How can something that occurs naturally have value as currency? Wouldn't that mean that people who lived near the shore have more power?

I know the posters here don't have all the answers -- but anyone care to theorize?

Posts: 56 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.mbad.org/cowrie.htm
Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jluis
Member # 7103

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jluis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by windstorm2005:
[ How can something that occurs naturally have value as currency? Wouldn't that mean that people who lived near the shore have more power?

Well, this is not a problem. After all, gold, silver and diamonds also occurs naturally. How does it get into currency is another thing. It must be useful for some purpose, easy to store and transport and difficult to fake. The cowry shell fits into that. I get that the "original" use of it was probably jewellery, as the case of gold and silver.

Why was chosen a "currency" that came from the coast? Got no evidence. Just to speculate a little, maybe the coastal people had more need of a currency because they were in contact with different groups of people and had to trade with many different products. And so they chose one of their products, a clever move that put them into economical advantage over the other traders.

Posts: 71 | From: Uppsala, Sweden | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
windstorm2005
Member # 6629

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for windstorm2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
http://www.mbad.org/cowrie.htm

Interesting read.

From some other sites I gain that cowries originate in the Maldive islands in India, and have been valued since prehistoric times in places as diverse as West Africa and China. They're described as the most widely circulated currency in history.

Here's an interesting paragraph from http://www.ifama.com/page7.html ...

"Though it has become one of the symbols of the African continent, it is fact that the cowrie played such an important role as money in ancient China that its pictograph was adopted in their written language for money. Thus it is not surprising that among the earliest countable metallic money or coins were cowries made of bronze or copper, in China."

I guess the cowrie is one thing that a lot of ancient civilizations had in common.

Curiously, my casual google search found no info on cowrie use in ancient mesopotamia nor in ancient greece... Anyone know much about that?

[This message has been edited by windstorm2005 (edited 24 May 2005).]

Posts: 56 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't Egyptian girls and women wear laces of cowery for fertility?

I remember seeing a poster of a Somali girl with a necklace and armlets of cowry...

[This message has been edited by Djehuti (edited 24 May 2005).]

Posts: 26415 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
windstorm2005
Member # 6629

Rate Member
quote:
Didn't Egyptian girls and women wear laces of cowery for fertility?
I remember seeing a poster of a Somali girl with a necklace and armlets of cowry...

Not sure of the fertility purpose, but from what I read so far, it seems cowrie shells were often used for magic in general, especially divination. Maybe that's how they first became valuable for trade.

[This message has been edited by windstorm2005 (edited 24 May 2005).]

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Posts: 26415 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Supercar
Member # 6477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Supercar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have an interesting posting there, Djehuti.
Posts: 5964 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In many traditional African societies, girl and women would wear cowery shells especially as belts around their hips and above their genitals as fertility charms.

I've seen tomb paintings that depict Egyptian women doing this and even in rural parts of Somalia and Ethiopia although the women have their genitals covered, they still wear other forms of cowry jewelry

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Egytpian cowrie collections:

Pimander
Member # 7133

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pimander   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice!! - - verrrrry nice! Maybe even "priceless!"

Pennies from heaven? Quel magie! I ask for coweries - I get coweries! (LOL!) Afro-Egyptian wampum... How shall I spend them? Let me count the ways...

Or - could I trade them even up for a menat cluster? Hmmmm...?? Something tells me that might not be possible. Maybe ausar knows the value?

I could barter a few scans for some good advice...

And I see you now have a way of getting those graphics across, Djehuti. Good show!

a bientot
DMc

Posts: 74 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com