EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Off Topic: Has anybody on this forum taken a genetic test?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Off Topic: Has anybody on this forum taken a genetic test?
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I am curious if anybody here has traced either their Y-chromsome or Mtdna back? Currently I have not but when I get enough money I plan to.

Here is a nice service provided by Oxford Ancestors:

http://www.oxfordancestors.com/

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ashash
Member # 8120

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ashash   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My great Uncle has. He's traced some of our ancestors back to Africa, as well as some to different European countries. It's all very interesting, and I'm planning to take one for my birthday in Decemeber (it'll be my gift)

**I wish they weren't so expensive :/

[This message has been edited by ashash (edited 27 June 2005).]

Posts: 17 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Which country or ethnic group did he trace back to in Africa? What service did your uncle use?

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ashash
Member # 8120

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ashash   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:

Which country or ethnic group did he trace back to in Africa? What service did your uncle use?

He used African Ancestry (http://www.africanancestry.com) and traced back to the Mende people in Sierra Leone (they originated in Sudan), the Mbundu people in Angola, as well as an ethnic group in Cameroon. I don't remember the name though...I think one might be Loko? I'm not sure though.

Posts: 17 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bandon19
Member # 7773

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bandon19     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
but i heard it only gets a small portion of ur ancestry. only the male sides.
Posts: 188 | From: canton,ma,united states | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AMR1
Member # 7651

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AMR1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ashash:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ausar:
[b]

He used African Ancestry (http://www.africanancestry.com) and traced back to the Mende people in Sierra Leone (they originated in Sudan), the Mbundu people in Angola, as well as an ethnic group in Cameroon. I don't remember the name though...I think one might be Loko? I'm not sure though.[/B][/QUOTE]

The Mende has not come from what we call the Republic of Sudan. This is another Afro centric lie based on intentional confusion of ignorant african americans.

Everything sub sahara africa was called the Sudan.

[This message has been edited by AMR1 (edited 27 June 2005).]

Posts: 1090 | From: Merowe-Nubia | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AMR1
Member # 7651

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AMR1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mende mostly from Sierra leone.

From a web site

"The Mende language is closely related to the Mande language group, indicating that the Mende migrated from the Sudan to the north. The oral traditions of the Mende tell of a peaceful migration into the area that may have spanned the period from 200 to 1500 A.D. Cultural and physical differences among the Mende suggest that immigrants may have originated from more than one source. This could also be a result of intermarriage with the peoples who had already lived in the area. Artistic traditions link them closely to the coastal Bullom peoples, a phenomenon which most likely resulted from the Mende borrowing ideas they found to be useful in their own society."

In all African sites, they say mende moved North from Sudan, Today's republic of Sudan is far East of Sierra leone, they are obviously refering to what we call today Liberia and was called Sudan in the past and it is South of of todays Sierra leone, or West Sudan in the past before the Europeans came to Africa.

Regards,

Posts: 1090 | From: Merowe-Nubia | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ashash
Member # 8120

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by AMR1:

The Mende has not come from what we call the Republic of Sudan. This is another Afro centric lie based on intentional confusion of ignorant african americans.

Everything sub sahara africa was called the Sudan.

Well, thank-you for your imput, but from my own research on the group I believe that they did originate in Sudan. I don't believe this has anything to do with "intentional confusion by Afro-centrics" or whatever. If you'd like to check out an interesting article or two, here are some:
http://www.uiowa.edu/~africart/toc/people/Mende.html

or
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mende_tribe

[This message has been edited by ashash (edited 27 June 2005).]

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

quote:
In all African sites, they say mende moved North from Sudan, Today's republic of Sudan is far East of Sierra leone, they are obviously refering to what we call today Liberia and was called Sudan in the past and it is South of of todays Sierra leone, or West Sudan in the past before the Europeans came to Africa.

Regards,

The general term bilad al-Sudan means in Arabic ''land of the blacks''. In useage it encompasses a wide area. Don't mistake Western Sudan for the modern country of Sudan,for they are two different entities. Western Sudan is countries like Mali,Guinea,Senegal and other Sahelian African countries.

The Mende people are related to the Mande people who originate around the Southern Sahara along with other Sahelian African people.

Anyway, don't try to ditract from this conversation. The question is about genetic tests.

Do you plan to take one Amr?

Anybody else on this forum plan to take a genetic test?

AMR1
Member # 7651

Rate Member
quote:

The general term bilad al-Sudan means in Arabic ''land of the blacks''. In useage it encompasses a wide area. Don't mistake Western Sudan for the modern country of Sudan,for they are two different entities. Western Sudan is countries like Mali,Guinea,Senegal and other Sahelian African countries.

The Mende people are related to the Mande people who originate around the Southern Sahara along with other Sahelian African people.

Anyway, don't try to ditract from this conversation. The question is about genetic tests.

Oh I love to take it, how it is done and how much it cost.

relaxx
Member # 7530

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for relaxx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I don't think they will be any surprise with Amr, since he revealed his Arab ancestry long time ago...
Relaxx

Posts: 577 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

The test costs about $300-600 dollars a piece:

http://www.oxfordancestors.com/

AMR1
Member # 7651

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by relaxx:
I don't think they will be any surprise with Amr, since he revealed his Arab ancestry long time ago...
Relaxx

Like I said no one is pure Arab or Ancient Egyptian or Greek or pure Turk, or pure Nubian in Egypt, thoroughly mixed population.

And I am very proud of the ancient Egyptians and their pyramids, proud of the mighty unfearful nubians, proud of my ancestors who brought Islam from Arabia.

In my blood runs the blood not of one great people, but three great people.

Serpent Wizdom
Member # 7652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Serpent Wizdom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Like I said no one is pure Arab or Ancient Egyptian or Greek or pure Turk, or pure Nubian in Egypt, thoroughly mixed population.

And I am very proud of the ancient Egyptians and their pyramids, proud of the mighty unfearful nubians, proud of my ancestors who brought Islam from Arabia.

In my blood runs the blood not of one great people, but three great people.

In your blood runs the blood of miscegnated barbaric invaders, culture destroyers, looters and bandits.

REGARDS!!

Posts: 303 | From: Inside my Mind | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AMR1
Member # 7651

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Serpent Wizdom:
In your blood runs the blood of miscegnated barbaric invaders, culture destroyers, looters and bandits.

REGARDS!!

When the Arabs entered Egypt, Romans ruled Egypt for 600 years, the worst of any prior invaders, they are the one who destroyed ancient Egypt's culture. They made EGYPT FOR THE FIRST TIME A PROVINCE.

I am not partly Roman but who knows. Romans lived in Egypt for 600 years. I know for sure I am ancient Egyotina mixed with Nubians and arabs.
-----------------------------------------
AUSAR it is not expensive but in ENGLAND, that is the problem , I will check if we have a service like that in baltimore or wahsington.

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

The Oxford ancestors is not just for people living in England. Basically they send you a kit where you swab your cheeks and send the tissue in an envelope. You can also go to a more local lab that should handle these things.

You could also send you sample into National Geographic Project.

King_Scorpion
Member # 4818

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for King_Scorpion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want to do it...just need to get a job first lol. My mother isn't going to pay $300-$600 on some genetic test. Especially since I just graduated and all that money for a class ring, yearbook, pictures, etc cost almost $700!
Posts: 1219 | From: North Carolina, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yonis
Member # 7684

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yonis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ashash:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ausar:
[b]

He used African Ancestry (http://www.africanancestry.com) and traced back to the Mende people in Sierra Leone (they originated in Sudan), the Mbundu people in Angola, as well as an ethnic group in Cameroon. I don't remember the name though...I think one might be Loko? I'm not sure though.[/B][/QUOTE]
As much as i don't agree with AMR1 I must say I agree with him this time. Sudan is not a country with a single nation of people. Most of the Sudan is encompased into multiple nations in one country due to the Berlin conferance and not because of the common history, culture, or traditions. This whole sudan thing is a colonial not a historical construction. The southern Sudanese are as distinct to their northern countrymen as they are to those Europeans who clusterd them together. Ofcourse their are alot of people from both regions that have assimilated into each others cultures, but the majority are not in any way close to each other, both historically and culturally. So if you're gonna trace your lineage i think it's important for you to take colonial borders and the names of regions during different times into account, before taking any important conclusions.

Posts: 1420 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
osirion
Member # 7644

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for osirion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
When the Arabs entered Egypt, Romans ruled Egypt for 600 years, the worst of any prior invaders, they are the one who destroyed ancient Egypt's culture. They made EGYPT FOR THE FIRST TIME A PROVINCE.

I am not partly Roman but who knows. Romans lived in Egypt for 600 years. I know for sure I am ancient Egyotina mixed with Nubians and arabs.

Also if you go and take a look at the National Geographic website and read up on their Genographic project you will note that E3a was derived in Sudan and there was subsequent migrations of these people into West Africa. 55% of African Americans have E3a and subsequently related to you or should I say: Nubians.

Posts: 4028 | From: NW USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com