EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Translation from Arabic of Ancient Egypt Encyclopedia

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Translation from Arabic of Ancient Egypt Encyclopedia
shafaki
Member # 8458

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for shafaki   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm trying to translate into English a page a week from the Arabic Encyclopedia of Ancient Egypt: http://ancient-egypt.blogspot.com/

I'd love to know your feedback.

Ashraf
Cairo, Egypt

Posts: 8 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice translations,Shafaki. Have you ever cosidered translating many historical texts about Medieval Egypt into English? This would certainly be a plus to non-Arabic speakers that don't get a chance to read such historical texts.

Anyway, I was wondering if you could also add my forum called The Nile Valley to your blog links:

Here is my forum:

http://phpbb-host.com/phpbb/index.php?mforum=thenile&sid=a328baf7370c32c1fe562619120b50e4

[This message has been edited by ausar (edited 31 August 2005).]

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shafaki
Member # 8458

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for shafaki   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Medieval Egypt," a very interesting suggestion ausar. I'll be looking to that. Perhaps I should start by selecting which books to translate about or even from that period.

[This message has been edited by shafaki (edited 31 August 2005).]

Posts: 8 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Here are some suggestions that you might consider translating and relevant to Medieval Egypt:

Mohammad ibn Mohammad ibn Hamid al-Maraghi al-Jirjawi Nour al iyoon fi zikri Jirja min aahdi thalathati ghiroun

another text is by a Coptic patriarch that also details alot about the Medieval period:

Ta'rikh batarikat al-Kanisah al-Misriyah was edited and translated into English by B.T.A. Evetts under the title History of the Patriarchs of the Coptic Church of Alexandriab by Anba Sawiris Ibn El-Moqafa'a

Then you have the medieval Cairene historian named al-Maqrizi who wrote Khitat or Al-Mawa?iz wa?lI?tibar fi Dhikr al-Khitat

Any of those publications wil do for translation.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shafaki
Member # 8458

Rate Member
Upon your first comment, my brain started getting busy already trying to think of suitable Arabic texts from or about Medieval Egypt to be suitable for translation into English. Now you've came to the rescue yourself by pinpointing to specifc books.

Perhaps the one by al-Maqrizi would be fine. However, I was unable to get the name of the book you mentioned by al-Jirjawi, I was unable to read the transliteration. "Nour al iyoon fi zikri " was all I understood, but the words "Jirja" and "ghiroun" I was unable to decypher and understand their Arabic equavalents.

If you prefer, you may email me direct at:
ashraf.shafaki@gmail.com

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com