EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Beethoven and African Ancestry?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Beethoven and African Ancestry?
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 5 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, lots of people here seem to know a good deal about race. I had read once, in a fairly authoritative biography of Beethoven, that there was a good possibility he had some African ancestry. Specifically related to the Moors in Spain.

I know this has nothing to do with ancient Egypt, but does anyone have any insight on this? Thanks.

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
THR TRUTH
Member # 7882

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for THR TRUTH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it is said that he was referred to as a moor/blackmoor by his peers. I think his mother was said to have been black. There is a bust of his face with strong African features. I don't know how much I believe the theory though.
Posts: 61 | From: nj | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
multisphinx
Member # 3595

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for multisphinx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont, some of these things you here are somtimes crazy, i read somthin bout that too. From some of his pics i see beetoven as a white peroson. I dont think he was mixed. The comment on him being a blackmoor maybe could have been because his mother might have came out of a low class or somthin and usaually in Europe the peasant were looked down upon. Who knows. He has some soothin music tho.

Posts: 671 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
multisphinx
Member # 3595

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for multisphinx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
here is a site of pics and death mask of him.
http://www.lvbeethoven.com/Portraits/GalleryPortraits.html

Posts: 671 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I read also that Beethoven's father was a Moorish solider that served in the Belgium military. He was called the ''black'' Spainard but one must consider that the term ''black'' was also used in reference to darker Europeans than the average Northern/Western Europeans. Who knows?

I do know that Beethoven's violinist was multi-ethnic[European/African] mixture. There was also a black classical composer named chevalierdesaintgeorges. He was a violnist and composter.

See the following link:

http://chevalierdesaintgeorges.homestead.com/Page1.html

Here are some additional portraits of Beethoven:
http://www.csudh.edu/oliver/beetport/beetport.htm

Besides Africans have their own musical composter,St. Yared. St Yared of Ethiopia devised a notation system for church liturgy music.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Thanks, folks. Some interesting stuff.

I heard they had strands of his hair and tested it to see if he had had lead poisoning or syphillus.... do you think a piece of hair would be sufficient to determine genetic/racial background?

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yazid904
Member # 7708

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yazid904     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Surnames usually reflected occupation, location, ethnicity, facial feature, etc so it is difficult to tell someone's identity other than by looks, which are as we have agreed upon, as deceptive.

Arnold is obviously European but his surname is a telling point! Deos it reflect heritage, facial features, or what? Schwartzenegger, haha hehe.!

Posts: 1290 | From: usa | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com