EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Writing systems

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Writing systems
Mazigh
Member # 8621

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mazigh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi,

How is the relationship between the following writing systems ?:

the hyroglives, the pre-colombian script, the canarian script, the berber script, the phonician script, the yemenetic script, the ethiopian script, the meroitic script, the greek script and the latin script.

[This message has been edited by Mazigh (edited 10 September 2005).]

Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Qward
Member # 8912

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Qward     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heiroglyphics are the oldest of those. There was a proto-script that came from heiroglyphics and developed into the Phoenician and Yemenic (or South Arabian) scripts. Phoenician gave birth to the Greek script (and by way of the Greek, the Latin) and Tifinagh (the Berber script) while the Ethiopic script evolved from the South Arabian one. Meroitic arose by itself from heiroglyphics.

I am unsure what the Canarian scripts relationship is exactly.

It seems the Mesoamerican scripts (all related) arose independently.

Of course, this is very general and the details are much more complicated.

Posts: 13 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mazigh
Member # 8621

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mazigh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi Qward, thanks for the reaction, especially it is your first reply in this forum.

another answer:

hyroglieves is the oldest, the nubian script is derived from the hyroglieves. i read.

the phoenician script, the berber script and the yemenetic script aren't derived from each others, but they might have a common origin. however, it is probable that some of them may be original script like as the berber script. those scrips contains some similarities with the hyroglieves.

the canarian script is a branche of the berber script. the mayan script may be an influence the canarian script.

latin and greeks may have berber origin.

note: i lack the knowledge, but i can use the known data against the unsupposed possibilities with some source.

Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

The alphabet that both the Greeks and Latins used came from Caanite/Phonecian. At least some letters within this alphabet were Egyptian in origin.

Tifnagh[used by the modern Tuareg] is heavily dependent on Phonecian or Punic script used by the ancent Carthigenians.

Meroitic[the Nubian script] does use some hieroglyphics but is alphabetic unlike the hieroglyphics[Mdu ntr]. Hieroglyphics used by scribes was hieratic and Demotic. Demotic originated around the 25th dyansty.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mazigh
Member # 8621

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:

The alphabet that both the Greeks and Latins used came from Caanite/Phonecian. At least some letters within this alphabet were Egyptian in origin.

Tifnagh[used by the modern Tuareg] is heavily dependent on Phonecian or Punic script used by the ancent Carthigenians.

if the similarity between the phoenician script and the berber script is so strong, why is it then unsupposed that the greek and latin would be derived from the berber script ??!

how can conclude that the tifinagh/berber script is heavely dependent on the phoenician script, but you didn't suppose the contrast [the phoenician on the berber script, as long as you believe that one of them is dependent on the other] ??!

Mazigh
Member # 8621

Rate Member
I like -rather than i conclude - that the mayan script is a branch wich is relted to the canarian script (also a berber script). i found this:

quote:
Rafinesque (1832) discovered that when the Mayan glyphs were broken down into their constituent parts, they were analogous to the ancient Libyco-Berber writing, used in the Sahara 5000 years ago.

The Libyco-Berber writing can not be read in either Berber or Taurag, even though these people use an alphabetic script similar to the Libyco-Berber script.
This offered the possibility that the Mayan signs could be read by comparing them to the Libyco-Berber symbols (Rafineque, 1832).

http://evertrobles.com/ezine4.004.html

I like -rather than i conclude- that the berbers of the canary island reaches america and influenced the pre-colombian civilization.

i found:

quote:
Heyerdahl’s theory about these Tenerifian pyramids was that Berbers from North Africa brought the pyramid/sun-worshipping culture from the Mediterranean to the Canaries on the way to Latin America.In search of... Pyramids in Tenerife

the canrian script which is known as "the libyco-berber script" is a branch of the berber/libyan script, like as the name says. the guanches even are berbers [although they are hispanised many of them still consider themselves as berbers/imazighen]
http://elguanche.net/

Mazigh
Member # 8621

Rate Member
quote:
the ancient Libyco-Berber writing, used in the Sahara 5000 years ago.

if the ancient berber script [tifinagh] is so old, how can we understand the thought that the berber script is depent on the phoenician script wich dates back to the period between "1500-1100".

maybe, there has been spoken about the proto-berber script, but the berber script generally dates back to the period between "1500-1000".

we know there were heavy wars between the phoenicians and the greeks, and thus, in principle they wouldn't influence each others, whereas the berbers/libyans clearly influenced the greek civilization as example: "zeus" the greatest greek god was identified with the berber god amon, athena was originally of libyan origin accordong to herodotus, plato and other scholars, poseidon the borther of the greatest god zeus is of libyan origin according to herodotus and other scholars, atlas is of libyan origin [herodotus considered him as libyan god and mountain], triton was considerd as libyan god and river, the religious songs are of libyan origin according to herodotus, many greek stories where the lion play a role are libyan stories of origin, according to aristoralis if i remember well. the greeks learned using the chariots with four horses from the libyans, according to herodotus. lamia which the greatest greeks god "zeus" loved was of libyan origin, according to the greek mythologie. medusa, gorgons....

those examples shox that the berbers/libyans influenced the greek civilization although there are few sources, especially herodotus.

on the basis of those exaples, i guess the greeks would learn the script from their neighbours the libyans not from their enemies "the phoenicians".

by the way, some scholars believe that the libyan/berber script is derived from the greek script. but now, it appeared that the berber script is older than the greek script , it is more logical to believe that the greek script is derived from the berber script, as long as the berber script is older than the greek script. isn't it ?

this might be also the same case with the latin script. i found this:

quote:
Would the Latin alphabet be of Berber origin?

[This message has been edited by Mazigh (edited 11 September 2005).]

Mazigh
Member # 8621

Rate Member
http://membres.lycos.fr/amaziria/tamazight/Tif1.htm
http://ennedi.free.fr/tifin.htm

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com