EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Amarna Letters

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Amarna Letters
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horemheb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amarna letters...non racial thread. I know we have some people here who have read them.
What did they tell you about AE foreign policy during the period?
I'm looking for a copy of the 1990 edition of the letters, haven't found one yet.

Posts: 5822 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

You might try Ancient Near Eastern Texts relating to the Bible edited by Pritchard. He has the Amarna letters in his edition. Unfortunatley, not many English translations of the Amarna letters written in Akkadian exist. The only very recent edition is The Amarna Letters by William L. Moran. Akkadian was the linga-franca of the Near-East during this period.

The Amarna letters tell us much about many of Egypt's vassals in the Near East. Regions like Caanan and Byblos were being attacked by people called Hapiru that were like bands of thieves. One must note that the correspndences of the Amarna letters occurs over a duration of the New Kingdom from Amenhotep III to Akenaten. Other important factors is foreign kings giving their daughters for marriage to the pharaoh but Egyptians would never allow their royal women for marriage to foreigners.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horemheb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what about the charge that Ahkenaten ran a 'soft' foreign policy because of his obsession with religion. read last night about an invasion of Nubia that he may have led, what do we know about this?
Posts: 5822 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

quote:
what about the charge that Ahkenaten ran a 'soft' foreign policy because of his obsession with religion. read last night about an invasion of Nubia that he may have led, what do we know about this?

Most likely this was a rebellion. When Egyptians incorporated territories into their empire they usually allowed the local population to run their own administration. In the case of parts of Nubia a offical called the King's Sun of Kush was put into place. The King's Sun of Kush was usually an Egyptian,but the rest of the officals were Nubians.

As long as the Near-Eastern provinces and Nubian provinces paid tribute to Egypt then there was no difficulty. Many times Nubians and sometimes people from Near-Eastern provinces rebelled. This might be the case with Akenaten's invasion.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrissyG
Member # 8935

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CrissyG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also read that Akhenaten couldnt have been Tutankhamun's father? what does any one know about this?
Posts: 9 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
up
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Ausar, I saw that. One guy asked a question about King Tut. as I said, I don't mind the race stuff, I have posted my share on the subject but I think we have run off the people really interested in history.
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Slightly off topic (but not that much), have any of you heard of the records of the personal tragedy of the Amarna dynasty?

Like for example, there was a plague in the land, and Akhenaton lost a daughter or more children and there was a famine or something or other...

Has anyone heard of this??

Posts: 26322 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Serpent Wizdom
Member # 7652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Serpent Wizdom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm still trying to figure out why you all would even post on a subject started by Horemheb, the culture bandit. Come on man!! Let's start our own "Amarna Letters" thread and close this one.
Posts: 303 | From: Inside my Mind | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
osirion
Member # 7644

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for osirion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Serpent Wizdom:
I'm still trying to figure out why you all would even post on a subject started by Horemheb, the culture bandit. Come on man!! Let's start our own "Amarna Letters" thread and close this one.

Hmm, if you don't like the thread don't post.

We don't have to be political about everything.

Posts: 4028 | From: NW USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
osirion
Member # 7644

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for osirion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amarna letters: I wonder if Ahkenaten could read such tablets? Would he have been trained in reading Babylonian? I imagine he had Babylonian scribes to read them to him.

You would think that the Egyptians would have severed relationship with Asiatics considering they had just beat back the Hyksos. Perhaps with pushing out the Hyksos the Egyptians created a buffer that extended well into Palestine and perhaps as far up as Jordan. Did perhaps the Egytpians use their relationship with the Babylonians, Hittites and others to help expel the Hyksos?

[This message has been edited by osirion (edited 14 September 2005).]

Posts: 4028 | From: NW USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

During the New Kingdom much of Caanan/Palestine was under their control. They had a empire extending from parts of Mesopotamia to the fourth cataract around modern day Northern Sudan.

Egyptians would often put garison units[usually filled with Nubians] in regions like Caanan and Jordan. All these regions were under Egyptian hegemony.

The Amarna tablets were written in Akkadian not Babylon. This was the linga-franca trade language of the ancient Near-East.

The Amarna tablets were not all written around the Amarna era but span along time from Amenhotep III to Akenaten[Amenhotep IV]

osirion
Member # 7644

Rate Member
Interesting, I thought the Nubians and Hyksos were allies. Did it not take a long time for the relationship between Nubians and the New Kingdom of Egypt to develop or was the relationship one of conquest and subjugation?

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member

quote:
Interesting, I thought the Nubians and Hyksos were allies. Did it not take a long time for the relationship between Nubians and the New Kingdom of Egypt to develop or was the relationship one of conquest and subjugation?

When dealing with Nubians one must consider which particular Nubian group you mean. Many groups like the Medijay and some Nhsi were actually allies with the Egyptians and foguht in their armies to expel the Hykos.

The Lower Nubians that lived just below the first cataract were rather frinedly with the Egyptians. Around the Middle Kingdom the Egyptians started to build fortress to conduct trade with a strong Kushite kingdom of Kerma. Kerma was basically in Upper Nubia around modern day Dongola. Going as far back as the 6th dyansty there were donkey caravans that traded with the Nubians from Elephantine[Aswan] area. After all this nome was called Ta-seti.

What happened is that Kamose found one day a letter from the Hykos and Nubians of a plan to destoy Egypt. Kamose read the letter and then marched against the Kushites after he realized. So it took the Egyptians a long time to incorporate parts of Upper Nubia into their empire. Even then many parts of Upper Nubia remained free.

After incorporation they installed a person called the King's Sun of Kush,normally a Egyptian, but most of the officals were Nubians themselves. As long as Nubian paid in tribute there was no problems between them.This was definately not what we would picture as colonization in the modern era.

A good overview of the Nubians and Egyptians around this period can be found in Robert Morkot's The Black Pharaohs and David O'Connor's Ancient Nubia:Egypt's Rival in Africa. These are the best and most unbiased books I have read on the issue. Scholars like W.Y Adams provide good information but are overwhelmny Egyptocentric.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com