EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » DNA

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: DNA
Tee20
Member # 9004

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tee20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi I'm new and have NO IDEA about DNA nor Egyptology. I was hoping to learn more from some of you.

I was wondering, do or Did Black Africans house the most variations with regards to DNA thus you get many different phenotypes of Africans who have no admixture???

Do you HVAE to have admixture in order to get diferent phenotypes amongst the people??

what about the olmec? They are, from what I understand negroid or african yet they have alsmost Asian eyes

Ancient African terracotta portraits 1000 B.C. to 500 B.C.

Bronze head of an ancient king from Benin, West Africa,
The tradition of fine sculpture in West Africa goes back long before 1000 B.C.

[This message has been edited by Tee20 (edited 19 September 2005).]

[This message has been edited by Tee20 (edited 19 September 2005).]

Posts: 21 | From: New orleans,La.,USA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tee20
Member # 9004

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tee20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Colllosal Olmec (Mende Xi) Head of Ancient Mexico (1000 B.C.) Compared to Nok Civilization Teracotta of Same Period

The African-Olmecs of Ancient Mexico have beenfound to have racial and cultual similarities with ancient West Africa and Nubia-Kush. This photo shows a distinctly African head from ancient Mexico compared to African heads from West Africa (Nigeria)

Posts: 21 | From: New orleans,La.,USA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tee20:
Hi I'm new and have NO IDEA about DNA nor Egyptology. I was hoping to learn more from some of you.

I was wondering, do or Did Black Africans house the most variations with regards to DNA thus you get many different phenotypes of Africans who have no admixture???

Dr Spencer Wells, Harvard evolutionary geneticist:. There is more genetic diversity in any single African village than in the whole world outside Africa.

Why is this?

Because modern humans originate in Africa and lived only in Africa for much of our genetic history.

Today Africans make up only a fraction of the population but still retain the majority of genetic diversity.

Again, why?

Geneticist Sarah Tishkoff: Non-Africans are recently descendant from a small population of East Africans.

Throughout much of modern human history, sub-Saharan Africa has maintained a large effective population size.

Physiologically Africans have always been diverse as well.

There is no such thing as a single African phenotype, or 'pure' race, and there never has been.

All native Africans share a common ancestry [subsequent to the out-migration of Non Africans] regardless of how they look.

[This message has been edited by rasol (edited 19 September 2005).]

Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yazid904
Member # 7708

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yazid904     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because Africa was a heterogejnous place in climate and natural barriers, over time people left a specific area, migrated to another (founder effect) and through centuries developed their genotype. With admixture, then genetic drift become evident.
Let us a say that Berbers (e.g.) left southern Africa, and being a nomadic people, with each place they stayed they picked up the genotype of that group in contact. When they reached N. Africa, they encountered the natural barreir of mountains and had the proitection of cold along with the tools to develop heat, build structuer and still be safe. Over generations they developed a sthey are today.

Let us say that one Berber group left the main group (from mountains) and travelled to a coastal area, that founder gene will mutate (in a good way) based on environment, exposure to heat and mating choice so we have an introduction of 'new blood' into that group thereby changing both genotype and phenotype.

It seems that Africans have alot of junk DNA that cannot be accounted for and thereby giving it the name 'junk' because no one can figure out its use!

Posts: 1290 | From: usa | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by yazid904:
Let us a say that Berbers (e.g.) left southern Africa, and being a nomadic people, with each place they stayed they picked up the genotype of that group in contact.

And phenotype, yes in general that seems reasonable.

quote:
When they reached N. Africa, they encountered the natural barreir of mountains and had the proitection of cold along with the tools to develop heat, build structuer and still be safe. Over generations they developed a they are today.

Sure, in this respect Berber is no different than any other Language Group, maybe more difference ethnically than most, but the general principal is the same.

Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

quote:
It seems that Africans have alot of junk DNA that cannot be accounted for and thereby giving it the name 'junk' because no one can figure out its use!

Well, all the Y chomosome SNP markers [that we use to identify haplotypes] are junk, and by definition, the older the lineage the more 'junk' in them, so....

Technically older African populations may retain more information that is not 'junk' as well, but it's not like it makes you any 'better' or 'worse' genetically. It just, "is."

[This message has been edited by rasol (edited 19 September 2005).]

rasol
Member # 4592

By the way, those Benin statues have also been said to have "semitic" noses. lol.

People see what they want to see.

If Europeans can look at the Great Sphinx which looks more stereotypically African than any of those Benin statues, and see....European, then, anything goes.

Tee20
Member # 9004

Rate Member
Thatnx for all your responses

quote:
By the way, those Benin statues have also been said to have "semitic" noses. lol.
People see what they want to see.

If Europeans can look at the Great Sphinx which looks more stereotypically African than any of those Benin statues, and see....European, then, anything goes.

Yea.

So far I've just read one book about Egypt and am trying to start to get into it more. The was called "The Destruction of Black Civilization" by Chancellor Williams. I know it's from an Afro-centric perspective but I assure you he lays into the blacks in his book as well.

What I'm starting to learn is that scientist, anthropologist have used thick lips, wide noses, "nappy hair" as the basis for saying if someone was "negroid" or not. In the context of ancient Egypt, one had to have a combo of ALL three of these features to be considered negro. If just have dark skin wavy hair, thin lips, and a pointed nose you would probably be considered caucasion.

It's funny how the rules change in America--if you have "ONE DROP" of Black blood then you're BLACK. It's interesting.

Tee20
Member # 9004

Rate Member

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Tee, there are some nice threads on this subject at my other forum entitled thenilevalley

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Most modern anthropologists no longer use those essentialist race typologies which are political, arbitrary and pseudoscientific.

Racists cling to outdated descredited pseudoscience for that very reason.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com