EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Proposing the region of split b/n PN2 derived lineages

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Proposing the region of split b/n PN2 derived lineages
Supercar
Member # 6477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Supercar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
E3b in sub-Saharan West Africa extends as far west as Senegal, a region which has one of the highest frequencies of E3a, but no Bantu speakers. According to Cruciani et al.'s break down of Hg E frequencies:

Population = Mandenka Senegalese->n = 16, E(xE3b)= 93.8%, E-M78^a = 6.3%.

Population = Tuareg from Niger-> n = 22, E(xE3b) = 63.6%, E-M78^a = 4.5%.

Population = Moyan Atlas Berbers-> n = 69, E(xE3b) = 5.8%, E-M78^a = 10.1%.

Population = Marrakesh Berbers-> n = 29, E(xE3b) = 3.4%, E-M78^a = 6.9%.

Population = Northern Egyptians-> n = 21, E(xE3b) = Not Available, E-M78^a = 28.6%.

Population = Southern Egyptians-> n = 34, E(xE3b) = Not Available, E-M78^a = 17.6%.

Population = Somali-> n = 23, E(xE3b) = Not Available, E-M78^a = 52.2%.

Population = Borana from Kenya-> n = 7, E(xE3b) = 14.3%, E-M78^a = 71.4%.

Source: Crucian et al.

I can't help but notice that the Senegalese frequency of E-M78 [6.3%] is visible, considering the Taureg frequency of 4.5%, of course excluding other E3b members such as E-M78 gamma and E-M81, for which the Tuareg frequency was 4.5% and 9.1% respectively, while there was none available in the Senegalese sample for the latter two.

Courtesy of Wikipedia

So what can be said about E3b presence as far as the west African coast, given that, we know that the Tuareg languages ideally correlate with the idea of Afrasan language expansions corresponding largely with E3b derived lineages? Could these folks have originally spoken some Afrasan language, or admixture with Afrasan language speakers, whom due to the predominance of Niger-Congo language group speakers, adopted the predominantly spoken languages in the region? What other explanations could there be without involving Afrasan language speakers? Also, we know about E3a presence in the Nile Valley, for instance, in Upper Egypt and Lower "Nubia". Apparently, the answer lies in the Sahara; which brings me to the question of the possible region of the split between E3b and E3a lineages. Ideas are welcome!

Posts: 5964 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The level of E3b lineage reported in the Tuareg varies wildly with the population sampled and is as high as 30% in some Malian groups [Semino 2004].

The predominent and most unusual Tuareg lineage is E1, which is found among and around the Tuareg and almost no other population.

E1, like PN2 [E3] is a derivative of E.

E1 has been as far afield as Portugal assocated with ancient A lineage but not E3a
and with an estimated coalescence date in Southern Europe of 20k~ or more, meaning predating the split of E3a from Pn2.

In my opinion in terms of Y lineage, East vs. West Africa has no descernable meaning before the E3a/E3b split.

For example E3 [pn2] and ancestor of E3a and E3b is essentially found only in Ethiopia, E1 which is just as old or older has been in NW Africa since the late Paleolithic.

DE*, which is even older, and an ancestor to the entire E line, has thus far been found only in Nigeria.

Let's bear in mind, that when we talk about the birth of languages...such as Berber, we are only going back 6/7,000 years and for Cushite languages such as Beja, perhaps 8,000 years.

Now, based on Sforza's autosomal data, the Beja and Tuareg likely split about 5,000 years ago in East Africa.

Given that E3b2 has been in the Nile Valley since the Neolithic, E3a since the Holocene, and E3b1 since the Paleolithic, it's hard to see how much more Y chromosome data 'alone' can narrow down the migration patterns.

What I find interesting about the Tuareg/Beja connection is the way the historical, linguistic and genetic evidence converge, along with physical anthropology.

I suspect that when we learn more about the Tuareg/Beja relationship, along with other ancient Saharan/Sahelien groups such as the Teda, the Siwa and others, a great deal of mythology surrounding the Berber and Nubians will likely be shattered.

[This message has been edited by rasol (edited 06 October 2005).]

Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

These are the Medijay from Dynastic Egypt.

They are the ancestors of the Beja, who are related to the Tuareg, whose forebearers are possibly the Tehenu from Kemetic texts, and related to the Siwa of Modern Egypt.

[This message has been edited by rasol (edited 06 October 2005).]

Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Supercar
Member # 6477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Supercar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rasol:
E1 has been as far afield as Portugal assocated with ancient A lineage but not E3a
and with an estimated coalescence date in Southern Europe of 20k~ or more, meaning predating the split of E3a from Pn2.

...as Goncalves et al. points out:

"The prescence in Portugal of both the A and E1 haplogroups may be independent from the slave trade (otherwise E3a would be well represented since it comprises the majority of West African lineages). These findings either suggest a pre-neolithic migration from North Africa or a more recent origin from a founder population of small size that did not carry haplogroup E3a, which is a major component in North African populations today. TMRCA for Portuguese E1 lineages estimated as 22.9 +/- 7.2 ky favors the first scenario..."

quote:

In my opinion in terms of Y lineage, East vs. West Africa has no descernable meaning before the E3a/E3b split.

For example E3 [pn2] and ancestor of E3a and E3b is essentially found only in Ethiopia, E1 which is just as old or older has been in NW Africa since the late Paleolithic.

DE*, which is even older, and an ancestor to the entire E line, has thus far been found only in Nigeria.

Let's bear in mind, that when we talk about the birth of languages...such as Berber, we are only going back 6/7,000 years and for Cushite languages such as Beja, perhaps 8,000 years.

Now, based on Sforza's autosomal data, the Beja and Tuareg likely split about 5,000 years ago in East Africa.

Given that E3b2 has been in the Nile Valley since the Neolithic, E3a since the Holocene, and E3b1 since the Paleolithic, it's hard to see how much more Y chromosome data 'alone' can narrow down the migration patterns.

Right, which is why we deal with other matters like linguistics, and possible cultural ties with the help of archeology!

So I gather from this, are you saying the region of the split can't be determined from current data? or...

quote:
rasol:
What I find interesting about the Tuareg/Beja connection is the way the historical, linguistic and genetic evidence converge, along with physical anthropology.

I suspect that when we learn more about the Tuareg/Beja relationship, along with other ancient Saharan/Sahelien groups such as the Teda, the Siwa and others, a great deal of mythology surrounding the Berber and Nubians will likely be shattered.

What "mythologies" are being referred to here?

[This message has been edited by Super car (edited 06 October 2005).]

Posts: 5964 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

I don't think we can determine the region or even the nature of the E3a, E3b split yet.

I do suspect that when E3b1 lineages derived from E3b*M35, there were probably some substantial E3, E3a and or E1 populations living in the West Sahel area, thus those are the lineages which spread to West Africa, while E3b spread throughout SouthEast Africa, the horn into the NorthWest and across the Levant.

As for myths - the effort to 'explain away' Black North African peoples, languages and culture, inlcuding Kemetic culture in terms of slavery, or Eurocentric race myths, when in fact, Blacks are the original - Native North African populations.

Thought2
Member # 4256

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thought2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thought Posts:

Semino et al

Frequency PN2/E3
The four populations with ancestral E3:

Oromo 12.8%
Amhara 10.4%
Senegalese 2.9%
Bantu (SA) 1.9%

Thought Writes:

It seems that PN2 evolved in the Rift Valley prior to the LGM. E3b also evolved in this region prior to the LGM. E3b is found in lower frequencies in West Africa than in East Africa. Hence it seems that E3 spread to West Africa well before the derived date for E3b which is between 30kya and 25kya.

[This message has been edited by Thought2 (edited 06 October 2005).]

Posts: 2720 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

quote:
Originally posted by Thought2:
Thought Posts:

Semino et al

Frequency PN2/E3

Oromo 12.8%
Amhara 10.4%
Senegalese 2.9%
Bantu (SA) 1.9%

Thought Writes:

It seems that PN2 evolved in the Rift Valley prior to the LGM. E3b also evolved in this region prior to the LGM. E3b is found in lower frequencies in West Africa than in East Africa. Hence it seems that E3 spread to West Africa well before the derived date fro E3b which is between 30kya and 25kya.

I didn't know about PN2 in Senegal.

Thx!

Thought2
Member # 4256

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thought2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thought Writes:

Slightly off-topic, but this might be an interesting read given more up to date information on the phylogeny of E3a (YAP + haplotype 5) and E3b (YAP + haplotype 4):

Thought Posts:

Hum Biol. 1999 Oct;71(5):745-55.

African and Levantine origins of Pakistani YAP+ Y chromosomes.

Qamar R, Ayub Q, Khaliq S, Mansoor A, Karafet T, Mehdi SQ, Hammer MF.

Biomedical and Genetic Engineering Division, Khan Research Laboratories, Islamabad, Pakistan.

We surveyed 9 Pakistani subpopulations for variation on the nonrecombining portion of the Y chromosome. The polymorphic systems examined were the Y-chromosome Alu insertion polymorphism (YAP) at DYS287, 5 single nucleotide polymorphisms, and the tetranucleotide microsatellite DYS19. Y chromosomes carrying the YAP element (YAP+) were found in populations from southwestern Pakistan at frequencies ranging from 2% to 8%, whereas northeastern populations appeared to lack YAP+ chromosomes. In contrast to other South Asian populations, several Pakistani subpopulations had a high frequency of the DYS19*B allele, the most frequent allele in West Asian, North African, and European populations. The combination of alleles at all polymorphic sites gave rise to 9 YAP-DYS19 combination haplotypes in Pakistani populations, including YAP+ haplotypes 4-A, 4-B, 5-C, and 5-E. We hypothesize that the geographic distributions of YAP+ haplotypes 4 and 5 trace separate migratory routes to Pakistan: YAP+ haplotype 5 may have entered Pakistan from the Arabian Peninsula by means of migrations across the Gulf of Oman, whereas males possessing YAP+ haplotype 4 may have traveled over land from the Middle East. These inferences are consistent with ethnohistorical data suggesting that Pakistan's ethnic groups have been influenced by migrations from both African and Levantine source populations.

Posts: 2720 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Supercar
Member # 6477

quote:

Semino et al

Frequency PN2/E3

Oromo 12.8%
Amhara 10.4%
Senegalese 2.9%
Bantu (SA) 1.9%

Thought Writes:

It seems that PN2 evolved in the Rift Valley prior to the LGM. E3b also evolved in this region prior to the LGM. E3b is found in lower frequencies in West Africa than in East Africa. Hence it seems that E3 spread to West Africa well before the derived date for E3b which is between 30kya and 25kya.

Doubtlessly, this piece of information obviously helps. If my memory serves me correctly, I heard elsewhere from someone, that the E3a may have originated among Atlantic west African populations like, the Senegalese. Are there any indications, as to where the oldest M2 derived lineages appear. This might possible narrow the mystery down a bit.

Thought2
Member # 4256

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Super car:
Doubtlessly, this piece of information obviously helps. If my memory serves me correctly, I heard elsewhere from someone, that the E3a may have originated among Atlantic west African populations like, the Senegalese. Are there any indications, as to where the oldest M2 derived lineages appear. This might possible narrow the mystery down a bit.

Thought Posts:

The oldest E3a lineage is E3a*

Frequencies of E3a*
Semino et al 2004

Senegalese 80.6%
Burkino Faso 67.9%
South Cameroon 43.8%
Bantu (SA) 54.7%

Supercar
Member # 6477

quote:

The oldest E3a lineage is E3a*

Frequencies of E3a*
Semino et al 2004

Senegalese 80.6%
Burkino Faso 67.9%
South Cameroon 43.8%
Bantu (SA) 54.7%

Definitely seems to be more prevalent in the west African populations, with the Senegalese on the top. But does this really say much, in terms of the population which might have carried the mutation from the region [yet to be defined] where the split occurred?

Thought2
Member # 4256

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Super car:
But does this really say much, in terms of the population which might have carried the mutation from the region [yet to be defined] where the split occurred?

Thought Writes:

1) E3a* and E3a is pretty much non-existant in the Horn of Africa. The lineage seems to be West African.

2) The Senegalese are one of **FOUR** populations that seem to carry the ancestral E3 lineage.

3) Coincidentally the Senegalese also have the highest frequency of E3a*.

This seems to indicate that a population ancestral to the modern Senegalese served as the bridge between E3 and E3a*. We need to study the ecology and archaeology of this region (and the Rift Valley) before the LGM to learn more at this point.

Supercar
Member # 6477

quote:

1) E3a* and E3a is pretty much non-existant in the Horn of Africa. The lineage seems to be West African.

2) The Senegalese are one of **FOUR** populations that seem to carry the ancestral E3 lineage.

3) Coincidentally the Senegalese also have the highest frequency of E3a*.

This seems to indicate that a population ancestral to the modern Senegalese served as the bridge between E3 and E3a*. We need to study the ecology and archaeology of this region (and the Rift Valley) before the LGM to learn more at this point.

I agree; it seems that E3b lineages have been more rigorously studied than E3a lineages, and this is perhaps, in part [aside from involvement of some politics] due to inadequate study of "ecology and archeology of this region", as opposed to the Rift Valley!

Supercar
Member # 6477

E3b in sub-Saharan West Africa extends as far west as Senegal, a region which has one of the highest frequencies of E3a, but no Bantu speakers. According to Cruciani et al.'s break down of Hg E frequencies:

code:
Population 	        n      E(xE3b)	E-M78^a

Mandenka Senegalese 16 93.8% 6.3%

Tuareg from Niger 22 63.6% 4.5%

Moyan Atlas Berbers 69 5.8% 10.1%

Marrakesh Berbers 29 3.4% 6.9%

Northern Egyptians 21 NA 28.6%
Southern Egyptians 34 NA 17.6%

Somali 23 NA 52.2%

Borana from Kenya 7 14.3% 71.4%

a > E-M78 frequency includes chromosomes belonging to clusters alpha-delta and 14 additional chromosomes (12 chromosomes excluded from the four clusters in fig. 2B and two Azeri chromosomes for which complete microsatellite data were not available). - Cruciani et al.
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^Yes and E3a is also found in East Africa around areas of the Nile Valley that have nothing to do with 'Bantu' speakers.

Which is why, it is nonsense to associate E3b with East Africans only and E3a with West Africans or 'Bantus' as some say.

Posts: 26238 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
updates? argiedude? I know there's been a new thread over @ ae where Supercar tries to delinate things further.
Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beyoku
Member # 14524

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for beyoku     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DE* I DID read one study that found DE* in Burkina Faso i believe in 2 individuals.....Maybe it was Guinea. But i was in more than one person for sure. I will find the study and link it.
Posts: 2463 | From: New Jersey USA | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beyoku
Member # 14524

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for beyoku     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Y-chromosomal diversity in the population of Guinea-Bissau: a multiethnic perspective

quote:
One other Nalú individual belongs to the rare and deep-rooting DE* paragroup described in five Nigerians [37] and thus representing a coalescent "missing link", paraphyletic to haplogroups D and E.
Looks like it was only one person. I thought it was two. Anyway, here is the study.
quote on page 5

Posts: 2463 | From: New Jersey USA | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am especially in these parts here by Rasol...
quote:
Originally posted by rasol:

And...
quote:
These are the Medijay from Dynastic Egypt...

They are the ancestors of the Beja, who are related to the Tuareg, whose forebearers are possibly the Tehenu from Kemetic texts, and related to the Siwa of Modern Egypt.

All of the above as well as everything else discussed about North African population history very much correlates with the findings from Knowledge's thread here
Posts: 26238 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beyoku
Member # 14524

Member Rated:
up
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"E3*" is now E1b1*. The PN2 clade is made up of E1b1*-P2 (or E-P2) derivatives. E1b1* lineages in turn are Haplogroup E*-M96 derivatives (the ones marked by the P2 mutation).

Supercar has since come up with a detailed explaination of the origins of E1b1a*-M2 involving Atlantic Gulf coast hugging migrants originally from South Eastern Africa. E1b1a is especially abundant in Senegal. E-M2* is also particularly common among Western Sahelian groups like the Mandinka and Fulani. Overall E1b1a lineages are common throughout West and Central Africa.

E1b1b* on the other hand likely evolved among ancestors of groups like the Oromo and Somalis (in particular Borana of N. Kenya have it in highest frequency) somewhere in the rift valley, lattitudinally between Ethiopia and Tanzania.

One thing to watch for when studying E1b1b is that Cruciani has now changed his nomeclature.

E1b1b was formerly marked by the E-M35 mutation and is now identified by Cruciani as E-M215, with M35 being reserved for a down stream lineage which makes up the vast majority of Saharan and non-African Haplogroup E lineages.

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

"Haplogroup E-M78, however, is more widely distributed and is thought to have an origin in eastern African. More recently, this haplogroup has been carefully dissected and was found to depict several well-established subclades with defined geographical clustering (Cruciani et al., 2006, 2007). Although this haplogroup is common to most Sudanese populations, it has exceptionally high frequency among populations like those of western Sudan (particularly Darfur) and the Beja in eastern Sudan... Although the PC plot places the Beja and Amhara from Ethiopia in one sub-cluster based on shared frequencies of the haplogroup J1, the distribution of M78 subclades (Table 2) indicates that the Beja are perhaps related as well to the Oromo on the basis of the considerable frequencies of E-V32 among Oromo in comparison to Amhara (Cruciani et al., 2007)...

These findings affirm the historical contact between Ethiopia and eastern Sudan (1998), and the fact that these populations speak languages of the Afroasiatic family tree reinforces the strong correlation between linguistic and genetic diversity (Cavalli-Sforza, 1997)."

"Genetic continuum of the Nubians with their kin in southern Egypt is indicated by comparable frequencies of E-V12 the predominant M78 subclade among southern Egyptians."

"The Copt samples displayed a most interesting Y-profile, enough (as much as that of Gaalien in Sudan) to suggest that they actually represent a living record of the peopling of Egypt. The significant frequency of B-M60 in this group might be a relic of a history of colonization of southern Egypt probably by Nilotics in the early state formation, something that conforms both to recorded history and to Egyptian mythology."

Source:
(Hisham Y. Hassan 1, Peter A. Underhill 2, Luca L. Cavalli-Sforza 2, Muntaser E. Ibrahim 1. (2008). Y-chromosome variation among Sudanese: Restricted gene flow, concordance with language, geography, and history. Am J Phys Anthropology, 2008.)

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ What's clear is that whole PN2 clade originated in Africa and no where else.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com