EgyptSearch Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Off-topic: Real Sports Episode 102

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Off-topic: Real Sports Episode 102
tdogg
Member # 7449

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdogg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone seen this episode? I was shocked at the blatant racism allowed at soccer matches in Europe. And I thought the Europeans were more liberal.

quote:

http://www.hbo.com/realsports/stories/2005/episode.102.s2.html

A Source of Shame

One of the biggest challenges for American sports fans is understanding the huge appeal of professional soccer (football) in Europe. To a large degree, the scope of the intense hometown support and spirited rivalries that exist between dueling teams is admirable athletic competition. But extreme fan behavior is also part of the mix in European football. Now, a three-year REAL SPORTS investigation uncovers a disturbing, unchecked aspect of fan activity -- blatant racism. Among examples of extreme fan reaction to individual players are the mimicking of monkey sounds and the throwing of bananas anytime a black player touches the ball, as well as the waving of swastikas and open Nazi salutes. Speaking with Bryant Gumbel, players such as Thierry Henry of England's Arsenal reveal that in parts of Europe "home field advantage" has less to do with the color of one's jersey and more to do with the color of one's skin.

Hmmm, I wonder how an Ancient Egyptian would be treated if they attended a soccer match in Spain or England and sat in the wrong section. I doubt he would get out unharmed, if alive at all.

[This message has been edited by tdogg (edited 06 October 2005).]

Posts: 154 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horemheb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From the reconstructions TD it looks like King Tut would get along fine. How long are you going to say the same thing over and over again? I am coming to the belief that you have no life out side of race. What a waste....

[This message has been edited by Horemheb (edited 06 October 2005).]

Posts: 5822 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tdogg
Member # 7449

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdogg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Horemheb:
From the reconstructions TD it looks like King Tut would get along fine. How long are you going to say the same thing over and over again? I am coming to the belkief that you have no life out side of race. What a waste....

Did you see that episode of Real Sports? Were you as shocked as I was or is that the norm in your neck of the woods? I don’t know who that guy was in the reconstruction, but Tut from the depictions left by the Ancient Egyptian would probably be killed if he sat in the wrong section.

[This message has been edited by tdogg (edited 06 October 2005).]

Posts: 154 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yazid904
Member # 7708

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yazid904     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ttdog,

you ain't seen nothing yet! In some areas, many Europeans are freethinking and liberal but when it come to excellence thy do not like seeing successful non Europeans in places of exalted success. This is mostly seen in the lower classes of Europe, the commoners.

There are exception to every rule.
Pak bashing at one time was a popular sport for the low class English but funnily they couldn't distinguish between a Hindu and a Muslim so they all ended up with buss head (both Hindu and Muslim).
The skinheads could not try dat on Africans because they would get a good cut arse!

Posts: 1290 | From: usa | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
osirion
Member # 7644

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for osirion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
From the reconstructions TD it looks like King Tut would get along fine. How long are you going to say the same thing over and over again? I am coming to the belkief that you have no life out side of race. What a waste....

Keep in mind that the English, in many ways, treated the East Indians in the same manner that Americans treated Blacks. In fact, in England most Southern East Indians were considered Black and still are by many.

Posts: 4028 | From: NW USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
osirion
Member # 7644

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for osirion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Not only were East Indians considered Black in England, they were quite tolerant of this and pursued coalitions with Black people.

Excerpt from: A Political History of Asian Indians in the United States

by Vinay Lal

In Britain, where Indians appeared to tolerate being lumped together with Africans and Caribbean people as "black", even deriving new political coalitions and formations in the common interest of combating oppression, in the United States the designation "black" was seen as condemning one to membership in a permanent underclass.
http://www.sscnet.ucla.edu/southasia/Diaspora/roots.html

As for treatment of East Indians by Americans, they were subject to numerous race riots.

----

In 1907, Asian Indians were the victims of a racial riot in Bellingham, Washington, and henceforth concerted attempts would be made by the Asiatic Exclusion League and other associations to prevent further immigration from India into the United States and to restrict the capacity of those already in the country to own property.

----

Posts: 4028 | From: NW USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
osirion
Member # 7644

Rate Member
Writing to the US Civil Rights Commission in 1975, the recently formed Association of Indians in America (AIA) submitted that "Indians are different in appearance; they are equally dark-skinned as other non-white individuals and are, therefore, subject to the same prejudices."

Ancient Egyptians would have been discriminated against!

leba
Member # 8668

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for leba     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by tdogg:
Has anyone seen this episode? I was shocked at the blatant racism allowed at soccer matches in Europe. And I thought the Europeans were more liberal.

Hmmm, I wonder how an Ancient Egyptian would be treated if they attended a soccer match in Spain or England and sat in the wrong section. I doubt he would get out unharmed, if alive at all.

White-Nazi people don't only hate people who are Black or African a Middle Easterner/Arab or a 'Paki' would just got treated as bad as a black/african person would or even worse yet those people are of the same 'race'.

There have been more racist attacks on Middle Eastern/Arab/North African/South Asian people then on Black African people in Europe.

Posts: 267 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horemheb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pooooooor East indians, Pooor blacks ....jesus!!!! Crocodile tears are pouring down my face. So the world isn't always fair, what else is new. Get off your a$$, go out and make a difference and stop worrying about things you can't control.
Condi Rice may well end up President of the United States (elected by white people) good thing she does not live in the past like the rest of you folks.

Posts: 5822 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
osirion
Member # 7644

Rate Member
I would vote for Colin Powell but not Condi Rice. Condi Rice against Hillary Clinton, hmm, I don't think that is a fair contest. Hillary wins hands down.

Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Actually a set of new polls gives Condi Rice half the black vote vs Mrs Clinton. No dem can win without the black vote. You also need to understand that Mrs Clinton gives up 30 ststes before the election even starts.
THR TRUTH
Member # 7882

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for THR TRUTH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Horemheb,

why do you praise Condoleeza Rice so much? Sure, she is a successful Black American. But, how do you know what is going through head? How do you know that she isn't very infact so called Afrocentric? Hos do you know that she isn't just playing along with the republican party? How do you know that when and if elected President that she won't go and elect a predominately cabinet? So, please stop kissing her ass. She is probably still the humble black girl she grew up ass. Her family is still the same and she is too.

Posts: 61 | From: nj | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
osirion
Member # 7644

Rate Member
quote:
Pooooooor East indians, Pooor blacks ....jesus!!!! Crocodile tears are pouring down my face. So the world isn't always fair, what else is new. Get off your a$$, go out and make a difference and stop worrying about things you can't control.
Condi Rice may well end up President of the United States (elected by white people) good thing she does not live in the past like the rest of you folks.

As long as you stand corrected on this point. East Indians have the appearance of the Tut reconstruction and yet are considered Black in English societies and have faced oppression. The question of the thread was whether or not AEs might be oppressed by Europeans and I gave some history supporting the idea that they would. If you don't have anything constructive to say concerning a particular thread why do you bother to post? Seems to me you simply lost the debate and tuck your tail between your legs. I suggest you be more graceful in losing since you seem to do it a lot.

osirion
Member # 7644

Rate Member
quote:
Actually a set of new polls gives Condi Rice half the black vote vs Mrs Clinton. No dem can win without the black vote. You also need to understand that Mrs Clinton gives up 30 ststes before the election even starts.

Mrs. Clinton is a moderate, she will take alot of swing voters. I don't think Condi could possibly win. Now if she became Governor of a state and then ran, that might be more helpful.

Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Mrs clinton is trying to sell herself as a moderate. The Republicans will not let her get away with that when the election starts. She is hated in the south and the grain belt. I'll assure you that southern rednecks will vote for Condi Rice before they will Mrs Clinton. Name me one red stste she can carry. I'm telling you, we may have a black woman president in 2008. Condi Rice has star quality.

AFROCENTRIST32
Member # 9056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AFROCENTRIST32     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Mrs clinton is trying to sell herself as a moderate. The Republicans will not let her get away with that when the election starts. She is hated in the south and the grain belt. I'll assure you that southern rednecks will vote for Condi Rice before they will Mrs Clinton. Name me one red stste she can carry. I'm telling you, we may have a black woman president in 2008. Condi Rice has star quality.

It is so convenient that you proffer so many subjective ideas on this board, and you are Republican...................predictable

that's why there is afrocentrism and pan-africanism ....you worry about who's gonna be president, while we worry about you.
you worry about rednecks.........

you worry about rednecks.........

[This message has been edited by AFROCENTRIST32 (edited 06 October 2005).]

Posts: 236 | From: chicago, illinois, | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AFROCENTRIST32
Member # 9056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AFROCENTRIST32     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

condie is so brilliant............

NAME one thing condie rice has ever done, "directly" or indirectly, to further the interests of black people; or towards moving black people out of poverty in the United states?

or

colin, michael massey, michael steele, ken blackwell, or any others of the black clown posse wing of the republican party

Posts: 236 | From: chicago, illinois, | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Hey, I'm the guy that will be voting for the black woman.
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Afrocentrics....what do you want them to do for you?
tdogg
Member # 7449

Rate Member
quote:

Don't be an @ss. Those soccer players are doing something with their lives. But, some ignorant fan throw bananas, spit on them, and make monkey calls whenever they touch the ball. What did they do wrong? The only reason for their treatment is the color of their skin.

Hor, I see why you are disliked around here.

Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
TDog, I am not trying to win a popularity contest. the fact is, there is racism...so what, over come it. The world is not going to come to an end because a few white bigots don't like you. For every racist out there, black or white there are ten good people. You know as well as I that 20 years ago the idea of a black President in america would have been unheard of, now it might actually happen. We are making progress even if it doesn't seem so at times.
Mansa Musa
Member # 6800

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mansa Musa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hey, I'm the guy that will be voting for the black woman.

Personally I'd prefer Barack Obama for President.

'08 reasons why Obama will run for president

Not simply because he is Black, he seems like a tried and true progressive and uniter, someone this country needs running it. He can relate to people of different backgrounds I think he would be a much better candidate than Hillary who many feel is too liberal. Condi is a very intelligent person but I am turned of greatly by anyone involved in the Bush administration. My mother though she is a Black woman and from Alabama with a similar background as Condi said she'd rather vote for Clinton than Rice. She sees her as a sell out, she admires her but views the Bush administration as evil. If Condi ran for President I'm sure she would split the Black vote just for being Black.

I don't consider you to be a racist but after everything you have expeirenced on this forum why are you still here? Have your views on Egypt not changed even slightly in all your time here? What were your views on its racial makeup from the beginning anyway?

Posts: 1203 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Well Mensa, The board is actually supposed to be about Egyptian history. It had TURNED INTO an afrocentric sounding board. I oppose afrocentricsm on a couple of grounds, one because it is often bad scholarship and, two because it promotes victimization.
You may be aware that as more and more blacks enetr the upper class in America many have become Republicans. I had one recently tell me that he never understood the issues until ha made some money....he doesn't want to be taxed unfairly either. In the end, most of us are just alike. We all pretty much want the same things in life. You are always better off looking ahead to the future than back to the past. i know that sounds corny but its true. Go out and get rich and do the things you enjoy.

osirion
Member # 7644

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by AFROCENTRIST32:

condie is so brilliant............

NAME one thing condie rice has ever done, "directly" or indirectly, to further the interests of black people; or towards moving black people out of poverty in the United states?

or

colin, michael massey, michael steele, ken blackwell, or any others of the black clown posse wing of the republican party

You know, that would be a good reason for not voting for Condie race or any other Black person. A Black person as president cannot be concerned with just Black people or even give preferential treatment to them. They must be concerned about the nation as a whole.

So the question really should be, what has Condie done for America? Thats why she should run for Governor first. Some people would just use her as a figurehead and nothing more - just to beat the Democratic party. I personally would much rather have seen Colin Powell run for president.

[This message has been edited by osirion (edited 06 October 2005).]

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com