EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Ref:Glossary of Ancient Egyptian Geographical Terms

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ref:Glossary of Ancient Egyptian Geographical Terms
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wally   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
--Egypt
Medjr- walled district >> Misr/Masri (Hebrew/Arabic) for "Egypt"
Medjre- tower, fortress >> as above; Meetsrayeem (Egypt) and Meetsree (Egyptian) in Hebrew/Arabic.
(These terms were in reference to the northern fortresses which were constructed to keep the Asiatics from entering the country.)

Eturmeh - North river (Lower Egypt) [Eioor - river]
Etures - South river (Upper Egypt)
Hedje - White Crown country (Upper Egypt)
Keme - Black (All of Egypt)
Kemi - "Southern" country (Upper Egypt)
Pasheti - The two divisions of Egypt; one belonging to Horus and the other to Set [Pashe - boundary]
Res - the South (Upper Egypt)
Shmo - the South (Upper Egypt)
Sonti - "the two halves of Egypt" (Upper and Lower Egypt)
Tawi - the Two lands (Upper and Lower Egypt)

--Egyptians
Kemetu/Kemetou - Black's peoples
Kmemu/Kememou - Black people
Resu - Southern people (Upper Egyptians)
Ret/Rot - The Men
Ret na Rome - We Men above mankind
Rome n Keme - Men of Black
TaMeru - Land of the Inundation people
TaMeri - My beloved land
Tawiu - The Two Lands people

--The North/Delta
Meh : the determinative and ideogram; according to Budge; "fill, complete" (IE, the end boundary of the country)

Ta Meh : Land of the North; the end part of the nation
Meh.t : the North, northern
Mehi.t : the Delta
Mehtiu : Northern tribes;Northern gods
Biti : King of the North

--The South
Res : the South

Tap Res : the word "tap;top" means "head; beginning; tip" (Budge); thus, the south is designated as the beginning of the country and the north, its end.

Resiu : southern tribes
Khenti : the South land; literally, the beginning
Khen : "the front land, the land in the front"
Nsu/Nsuten/Suten : king; royalty; lit: those from the south

--Some other locales
Memfi/Membi : Memphis
Wose : Thebes (sceptre; power)
Abu : Elephantine

Posts: 3344 | From: Berkeley | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ray2006
Member # 10891

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ray2006     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Wally for the list.It is much appreciated by me...

I do not see the word NOME which was the equivalent to a province or district or ?

Budge in "The Gods of the Egyptians "talks at lenght about the various nomes and their "gods" or divine beings...which would be more apt I guess

Yours,ryb...

Posts: 305 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nub - gold
Nub.t - gold city, a city in Km.t -> Nubia.
Hedj Nub - white gold, silver.

Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hotep2u
Member # 9820

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hotep2u     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings:

Wally if you can decipher this?

t'-pd.t

Hotep

--------------------
TruthSeeker

Posts: 477 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Memfi/Membi : Memphis
I thought they called it Men-Nefer?

While we discuss the indigenous Egyptian language (whatever they called it), I don't think we can say for sure exactly how the ancients pronounced their words, since they did not write down vowels IIRC. Who knows, they may have pronounced Km.t as "Kumutu" or "Kemutaa" instead of Kemet.

By the way, what does the ".t" (Dshr.t, Km.t) mean?

Posts: 7080 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wally   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Underpants Man wrote:
I thought they called it Men-Nefer?

They did, and it was called by other terms as well (note the many words used to refer to "Ancient Egypt"):

Ineb Hedj ("The White Wall"/Memphis).
He(t)kiptoh (Memphis)
Het= "temple"
Ki = a variation of "ka"- a human's essence
Pth = "Ptoh" the god Ptah

a) the word "Het" sounds like Ae, or "hay" without the "h" and the "t" which are silent
b) the word "Ki pth" the Ki (is a hard "K" - so it's Ghee - plus the "p" from the word pth
c) and the word "pth" is pronounced "toh" as it is in modern Coptic and modern Yoruba (this is how we know how these words should be pronounced).
d) so you have the sound AeGipToh and the Greeks always added an "s" to Egyptian nouns -
and voila! you have Aegyptos - whose etymology is Mdu Ntr and NOT Greek!

quote:

Underpants Man wrote:
While we discuss the indigenous Egyptian language (whatever they called it), I don't think we can say for sure exactly how the ancients pronounced their words, since they did not write down vowels IIRC. Who knows, they may have pronounced Km.t as "Kumutu" or "Kemutaa" instead of Kemet.

We know because the spoken language survives today, not only in Coptic, but in other related African languages. And we also know that African languages are unusually conservative, in that they remain (reasonably) stable over time.
Coptic: Kame, Keme, Kimi, and Kheme

quote:

Underpants Man wrote:
By the way, what does the ".t" (Dshr.t, Km.t) mean?

It means that the adjective that it modifies becomes a noun, and is usually silent. Thus the word "Km.t" is actually pronounced "Keme" as in the above examples taken from modern Coptic.

Km (Kam;Kem;Kim;Khem) - "to be black"
Km.t (Kame;Keme;Kimi;Kheme) - "Black" (person, place, or thing - based upon context and/or determinative)

Dshr (Desher;Derosh) - "to be red"
Dshr.t (Deshre) - "Red (person, place, or thing)

Posts: 3344 | From: Berkeley | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that's the kinda stuff this forum is really all about! Way to go Wally [Cool] [Cool]
Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Supercar
Member # 6477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Supercar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wally:

It means that the adjective that it modifies becomes a noun, and is usually silent. Thus the word "Km.t" is actually pronounced "Keme" as in the above examples taken from modern Coptic.

Km (Kam;Kem;Kim;Khem) - "to be black"
Km.t (Kame;Keme;Kimi;Kheme) - "Black" (person, place, or thing - based upon context and/or determinative)

...as should be understood by all; no need to unnecessarily inject terms, like "soil", to suite one's own concept of what the term should mean or what is supposed to make sense as a product of bias inherent in one's social conditioning - just leave the ancient terms and their contexts, as the ancients put them.
Posts: 5964 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Africanbible_Expert
Member # 11035

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Africanbible_Expert     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't egypt called ta-meri and tamare at a certain time? Can you give me the first name to the last name that egyptians called egypt over time?

thanks

Posts: 13 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Wally listed:

quote:
--Egyptians
Kemetu/Kemetou - Black's peoples
Kmemu/Kememou - Black people
Resu - Southern people (Upper Egyptians)
Ret/Rot - The Men
Ret na Rome - We Men above mankind
Rome n Keme - Men of Black
TaMeru - Land of the Inundation people
TaMeri - My beloved land
Tawiu - The Two Lands people

Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ray2006:

I do not see the word NOME which was the equivalent to a province or district or ?

Budge in "The Gods of the Egyptians "talks at lenght about the various nomes and their "gods" or divine beings...which would be more apt I guess

Yours,ryb...

The Kemetu word for 'nome' is sepat.
Posts: 26253 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Africanbible_Expert:

Wasn't egypt called ta-meri and tamare at a certain time? Can you give me the first name to the last name that egyptians called egypt over time?

thanks

I believe Ta meri referred specifically to Upper Egypt also, while Ta Shemu referred specifically to Lower Egypt.
Posts: 26253 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Original terms - modern terms
Ta Shemu - Upper Egypt.
Ta Mehu - Lower Egypt
TA Wi - all of Egypt
Ta Meri - all of Egypt.
Ta Seti niwt - Egyptian Nubia
Ta Seit khast - Nubia south of Egypt.

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^thanx. I keep getting 'Meri' and 'Mehu' confused.

Meri means beloved and so the whole nation.

What does Mehu mean again?..

rasol
Member # 4592

Wally has already related this:

Meh : the determinative and ideogram; according to Budge; "fill, complete" (IE, the end boundary of the country)

I suspect some relationship between fill, and the delta swamp lands - filled in(?) by the Nile flood?

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^It makes sense. The Delta is filled by the Nile floods.
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
quote:

Yours,ryb...

...again, language and ideology...
The states of Kemet have been denigrated by Western Egyptologists by referring to them as "nomes". The Mdu Ntr word "Sepat", as well as beginning with an "S" , means an organized state that is presided over by a governor and other state officials.
This is a subtle attempt to attribute the formation of states, and ultimately, a unified nation to a later, ultimately Asiatic/European development. Without apologies, it all began in Africa...

Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Kememu naming conventions:
quote:

Every great town had a "vulgar" name without definite meaning (at any rate, for us), of which many examples survive---Teni, Zebti, Shashetep, Saut, etc. These place-names were replaced by a series of "sacred" names after the establishment in all the cities of the historical gods. The capital is called the House (per), Mansion (het), Town (nut), Shrine (zebat), Sanctuary (sekhem), Pillar (iun), or Sceptre (uast, uabu) of such-and-such a deity. Above all, the great temple of the place imposes its name on the whole city; all the capitals are described as "House of so-and-so"; for example, **Busiris means "House of Osiris", Bubastis means "House of Bast", etc. --Ibid Alexandre Moret;pp49-50

Kinda like:
New York/the Big Apple/Wall Street
New Orleans/the Big Easy
...without apologies, it all began in Africa...

rasol
Member # 4592

quote:
Originally posted by Wally:
quote:

Yours,ryb...

...again, language and ideology...
The states of Kemet have been denigrated by Western Egyptologists by referring to them as "nomes". The Mdu Ntr word "Sepat", as well as beginning with an "S" , means an organized state that is presided over by a governor and other state officials.
This is a subtle attempt to attribute the formation of states, and ultimately, a unified nation to a later, ultimately Asiatic/European development. Without apologies, it all began in Africa...

As usual good catch...never thought about that.
African_BibleExpert
Member # 11098

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for African_BibleExpert     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No what I am asking is what was Egypt called during the dynastic period up through the old kingdom and middle etc. give me the progression of the names over time. I.e when was it called kemet when was it called hetkaptah, tamare, tameri etc.....in subsequent order. See this is the crap I am talking about as soon as you ask an Egyptian question about the culture people get stupid but if you ask about race or genetics of Egyptians you get goddamn essays and sources and a million posts man that sh*t is backwards and it is getting frustrating.
Posts: 17 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^ [Embarrassed] You idiot, we told you already that Hekapetah is another name for the old capital of Mennefer (Memphis), and that there is NO 'order' of names since ALL the names listed were used throughout the whole dynastic period!! Ta-Meri (beloved land) was used simultaneously as Kemet (black land) BOTH are just 2 of many epithets used during the same time period!!

What a moron [Roll Eyes]

Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by African_BibleExpert:
No what I am asking is what was Egypt called during the dynastic period up through the old kingdom and middle etc. give me the progression of the names over time. I.e when was it called kemet when was it called hetkaptah, tamare, tameri etc.....in subsequent order. See this is the crap I am talking about as soon as you ask an Egyptian question about the culture people get stupid but if you ask about race or genetics of Egyptians you get goddamn essays and sources and a million posts man that sh*t is backwards and it is getting frustrating.

The names used to refer to Ancient Egypt did not go through a sequence, like counting from one to ten. It was only when Egypt lost its independence that the name of the nation was altered somewhat (IE, "Arab Republic of Egypt").

> It was always called Kemet (as attested in the most ancient documents), likewise the other names (IE, Tameri, etc.)
> The name "Hetkiptah" was a name for Memphis, which the Greeks inaccurately applied to the entire nation. It's an Ancient Egyptian word that was wrongly applied by foreigners.

Perhaps it is the complexity of the use of more than one word to describe an entity that is confusing you.(?)

African_BibleExpert
Member # 11098

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for African_BibleExpert     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Djehuty I gotta igg you man you are just too immature...this is a mature response:

quote:

The names used to refer to Ancient Egypt did not go through a sequence, like counting from one to ten. It was only when Egypt lost its independence that the name of the nation was altered somewhat (IE, "Arab Republic of Egypt").

> It was always called Kemet (as attested in the most ancient documents), likewise the other names (IE, Tameri, etc.)
> The name "Hetkiptah" was a name for Memphis, which the Greeks inaccurately applied to the entire nation. It's an Ancient Egyptian word that was wrongly applied by foreigners.

Perhaps it is the complexity of the use of more than one word to describe an entity that is confusing you.(?)
quote:

Thank you very much I just LEARNED something [Eek!]
Posts: 17 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^ [Eek!] Wow, so that dysfunctional brain of yours actually learned something?!!
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ignoring the late ad hominen displays, this thread
has relevant material at the top.

--------------------
Intellectual property of YYT al~Takruri © 2004 - 2017. All rights reserved.

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com