EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » OT: African writing systems

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: OT: African writing systems
Nuary32
Member # 10191

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nuary32     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can any of you provide a link or list that contains a list of all the different writing systems of africa? (with pictures included)

This thread can also be used to update us of any newly discovered writing systems.

Posts: 214 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are some links about not well known African writing systems:

http://www.library.cornell.edu/africana/Writing_Systems/Welcome.html

http://carlos.emory.edu/ODYSSEY/AFRICA/AF_com_nsibidi.html

http://www.thisdayonline.com/archive/2002/01/20/20020120art01.html

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clyde Winters   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi
You may want to check out my site on ancient writing systems.

http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Bay/7051/anwrite.htm

Enjoy.

--------------------
C. A. Winters

Posts: 13012 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Supercar
Member # 6477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Supercar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Africans had developed a wide variety of scripts in the past. Unfortunately many of these did not stand the test of time, due to lack of adequate support from African bourgeois, in encouraging widespread use at administrative level and public institutions, i.e. the after-effects of events, like this one:

In the beginning of the 20th century or perhaps earlier, the people of Cameroon were able to accomplish one of the most remarkable African achievements of the century: the invention of a self-sustaining and selfgoverning writing system and a printing device to document the histories of the people. Sultan Ibrahim Njoya, whose father was killed resisting the German invaders, led the invention. The invention that started in the late nineteenth century (I 895 or 1896) was completed by the beginning of the 20' century in 1903. By the time of the Germans arrival, the writing system was in use in conjunction with the Bamum language, which is a tonal language, which means the meanings of a word will vary depending upon the tone withwhich the sound of the word is uttered. The system went through seven stages of development. The first stage had over five hundred pictographs and the last stage has had only 35 syllographs, graphs designed to represent all the phonetic and tone sounds in the Bamum language of the Shumom people.

King Njoya opened a school in Fumban where many are trained to become literate and promote leaming in their own language. Several manuscripts and documents were produced, including the histories, laws and customs of the people and their neighbors. Two systems of writing were taught at the school: the Royal and the popular scripts. Tragically the most important documents are taken away by colonial masters out of Cameroon and they are housed in the French and British Museums. The Germans and later the French did not want to see the flourishing of a literary tradition among the Bamums. Not only they killed or exiled their leaders; they also violently banned the use of Shumom, thereby condemning the people to colonial dark age.

http://www.library.cornell.edu/africana/Writing_Systems/Shumom.html

Posts: 5964 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yom
Member # 11256

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to go, but as a quick reply, in Ethiopia the Ge'ez script is still used.

--------------------
"Oh the sons of Ethiopia; observe with care; the country called Ethiopia is, first, your mother; second, your throne; third, your wife; fourth, your child; fifth, your grave." - Ras Alula Aba Nega.

Posts: 1024 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Supercar
Member # 6477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Supercar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yom:
I have to go, but as a quick reply, in Ethiopia the Ge'ez script is still used.

...reply to what or whom. [Confused]
Posts: 5964 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hikuptah
Member # 11131

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hikuptah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
U are right Yom Geez is still used in Africa what a great accomplishment by the Ethiopians very great civilization that can be compared to Rome China Persia Greece i would name Egypt but i consider it a extention of the old Kushite realm.

--------------------
Hikuptah Al-Masri

Posts: 526 | From: Aswan Egypt | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Supercar
Member # 6477

Red herrings, unless I'm missing something here, since no one said "all" indigenous African literatures disappeared. In fact, some of the ones mentioned in Ausar's links, are still being used, but not as widely as they could be used, if there was adequate promotion for them.

And how do you promote this sort of thing?...by making it compulsory to learn them in educational institutions - at the least, side by side with foreign languages, as well as in governmental institutions, and the mass media.

In Ethiopia, for instance, Amharic script is still taught in even some foreign schools for local students, as aside courses, like how French and Spanish are taught in U.S. Amharic is widely and basically, as the primary language, used in the Government and in the mass media. It is a good example, which if many African nations followed, would be a great thing.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com