EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » First female pharaoh?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: First female pharaoh?
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anybody know if Maat-a-ka-Re[Hathshepsut] was the first female to reign as a female? All other female rulers I have read ruled as consorts of their sons[such as Tiye or etc] so I am curious what other female pharaohs has there been?
Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Supercar
Member # 6477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Supercar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:
Does anybody know if Maat-a-ka-Re[Hathshepsut] was the first female to reign as a female? All other female rulers I have read ruled as consorts of their sons[such as Tiye or etc] so I am curious what other female pharaohs has there been?

I recall thinking that she was first [dynastic female Pharaoh not as a consort] in a discussion here some time back, but was told there were others before her.

Ps - some interesting aspects of her title had been addressed here:
http://phpbb-host.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=539&mforum=thenile

Posts: 5964 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yom
Member # 11256

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some searching shows that Queen Sobekneferu (aka Nefrusobek) of the 12th dynasty certainly preceded Hatshepsut (but without taking the title "Pharaoh" and that there may (but probably wasn't) have been a queen Nitocris in the 6th dynasty.

See wikipedia here and here, respectively.

--------------------
"Oh the sons of Ethiopia; observe with care; the country called Ethiopia is, first, your mother; second, your throne; third, your wife; fourth, your child; fifth, your grave." - Ras Alula Aba Nega.

Posts: 1024 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^Yes, I have heard the exact same things Yom just brought up.-- that Sobeknefru may have been the first female pharoah and perhaps Nitocris before her.
Posts: 26267 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Supercar
Member # 6477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Supercar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yom:

Some searching shows that Queen Sobekneferu (aka Nefrusobek) of the 12th dynasty certainly preceded Hatshepsut (but without taking the title "Pharaoh" and that there may (but probably wasn't) have been a queen Nitocris in the 6th dynasty.

Which is the point being addressed, the first female ruler to rule under the title of a Pharaoh. Lol.
Posts: 5964 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hotep2u
Member # 9820

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hotep2u     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings:

Diodorus states that their were 5 female pharoahs.

Third ruler of the first Dynasty 3000 B.C.

Meryt-Neith.
mrt-nit
Meryt-Neith

http://www.narmer.pl/dyn/01en.htm#a

scroll down to Meryth-Neith.

Her husband died and she ruled for 3 years.

-

MERNEITH (MERYT-NEITH)

Short summary of her reign

This queen is one of the most disputed persons of the archaic period.
Not all the scholars agree with the eventuality that she could actually have reigned.
It is sure that she was Horus DEN 's mother as shown on a seal impression recently discovered in the Tomb T of Umm el Qa'ab: she is 'mwt nswt' beside the name of Den thus it is also probable that she was the Horus Djet 's wife (Lauer, 1966, speculated a further parentage as Horus Djer' s daughter, but tha's not provable).
Her Abydos tomb (Y) is close to that of the husband Djet (Z);the stela here drawn,now in the Louvre, was found outside the tomb by Petrie in 1900.
The excavator first thought it belonged to a male ruler.
At Abydos there's also Merneith's funerary enclosure; it's the easternmost of the group built N.E. of Peribsen's Western Mastaba and S.E. of the enclosure of Djet.
The Saqqara mastaba 3503 is the only one that can be attributed to her; it's just north of S 3504 (Sekhemkasedj) of the reign of Djet. The seal impressions are named to Den.
The reign of a female ruler, already before the middle of the first dyn., must not seem too strange: her husband Djet could have died after a brief reign of about 10 years (probabily he began to reign-and married- when he was already old because his predecessor Djer had a very long reign) and her son Den could have been too young for the throne.
Anyhow there is no title or serekh which could clarify the position she held. The mentioned seal impression of Den did name Merneith but the similar piece dated to Qa'a omits this queen.
Therefore only the two tombs and the two stelas induce to think she was a person of a status fairly comparable to that of a King. Indeed it is probable that in the mentality of the ancient egyptian her condition of rulership was never accepted or recognized, surely not like it was for Nitokerty,Nefrwsobek,Hatshepswt and Cleopatra.
Merneith's name is almost wholly attested in Abydos except from the following few pieces: it appears on a stone vessels(unknown origin) and on some vessels fragments (from Saqqara),on an ivory vessel (Saqqara), and on a beautiful unprovenanced Pavian statuette (Kaplony K.B.I.A.F. p. 91 ff., plates XX-XXIII)
of the Michailidis collection.

Bibliography

Emery-Archaic Egypt; Kaplan J.N.E.S. 38; Lauer B.I.F.A.O. 64, 1966; Wilkinson 'Early Dynastic Egypt' 1999;
Kaplony I.A.F.,1963; id. I.A.F.Suppl. ; id. K.B.I.A.F.; O'Connor J.A.R.C.E. 26, 1989; Emery-Great Tombs II ;
Petrie - Royal Tombs I .

Hotep

Posts: 477 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yom
Member # 11256

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Supercar:
quote:

Which is the point being addressed, the first female ruler to rule under the title of a Pharaoh. Lol.
Which is why I addressed it. Ausar asked for the first female pharoah, not the first with the title "pharaoh," so I wasn't sure if he meant with the title or genuinely female ruler of Egypt recognized as the leader (she wasn't a consort).
Posts: 1024 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Supercar
Member # 6477

quote:

Which is why I addressed it. Ausar asked for the first female pharoah, not the first with the title "Pharaoh," so I wasn't sure if he meant with the title or genuinely female ruler of Egypt recognized as the leader (she wasn't a consort).

If the female ruler wasn't considered a "Pharaoh", meaning ruling under the title of a Pharaoh, how then can you consider her the first female "Pharaoh". That is the point I was trying to get across. Besides, take a look at the thread's title, and this from its author:

quote:
Originally posted by ausar:

Now of course, that latter question is rather general, considering that Cleopatra too, was a female Pharaoh.
Lazar
Member # 10869

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lazar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. The first 'female' known to be pharoah: Meryt-Neith (1st Dynasty c3000bc)

2. Nitocris (6th Dynasty 2148-44BC)

3. Sobeknofru (12th Dynasty ?1757-1759BC)

4. Hatshepsut (18th Dynasty c1473-1458BC)--Yes, with certainty she did rule as Pharoah.

5. Neferitit (18th Dynasty 1336BC) possible, but not certain.

6. Twosret (19th Dynasty 1187-1185BC)

7. Cleopatra (51BC)
http://www.ancientnile.co.uk/pharaohs-women.php

Posts: 80 | From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^Interesting list.
Posts: 26267 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
René
Member # 11690

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for René     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uhhh! Guys.
The term "Pharaoh" was not even used until the 18th dynasty. New Kingdom. Evolved from the term "Per aa" = "Great House"
One of the titles given to the ruler, or "King" if you prefer.

So...Ausar, what do you think? Are you searching for the first female ruler? or the first female Pharaoh?

--------------------
"To speak the name of the dead is to make them live again." from an ancient Egyptian tomb inscription.

Posts: 7 | From: Oregon | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What was the term used for a ruler in ancient Egypt before per-aa? Yes, I am searching for the first female ruler of ancient Egypt.
Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One problem is that 'pharaoh' or ruler had many epithets and was basically called by many titles and names.
Supercar
Member # 6477

Semantics aside, yes we are referring to the first female ruler of "unified" ancient Egypt [i.e. presuming that is what Ausar was referring to], under the formal Kemetian crown. Many of us by now have an idea of what that crown looks like, I hope.

--------------------
Truth - a liar penetrating device!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com