EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Philosophy and Vision in Ancient Sudanese Culture

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Philosophy and Vision in Ancient Sudanese Culture
Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myra Wysinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Mohamed Abbakar Hissan/Sculptor
Born: Omdurman, Sudan 1969

Education: Bachelor of Fine Arts (B.F.A) College of Fine & Applied Art, Sudan University for Science & Technology, Khartoum, 1993; B.A. Bachelor of Art, Philosophy Department, El-Neelain University, 1993.

-
Harvest by: Mohamed Abbakar Hissan, 2000
Mahogani wood, 80" x 36", Collection of the artist

-
War Congress by: Mohamed Abbakar Hissan, 1992,
Terracotta, 40" x 24", Collection of the artist

Philosophy and Vision in Ancient Sudanese Culture
Third International Conference on New Directions in the Humanities - 2005
By: Mr. Mohamed A. Hissan

Through ancient times Sudan was well known of its fine and applied arts, the Sudanese civilizations like Nubian civilization (3400-2720 BC) and Merotic period (660-350 BC) years before the Christian (565-517 AD) kingdoms, art (sculpture) played vital part in both spiritual and material life people whether they were governors or ordinary people. The Nubian and later their precedent practiced various types of art, like sculptures of Gods in temples and relief's and wall painting act . . . also in Nubian architecture you can notice the way of decorating of temples and gates up to now. Merotic era was well known of being the first kingdom in Africa and probably in the old world that melted and shaped iron. The Merotic Alphabet is composed of drawn signals which reveal sense of art, yet most of the Merotic alphabet is not interpreted.

After Arab (641 AD) came to Sudan there had been some changes in customs, but the traditional art still practiced. Some of Sudanese tribes used to produce artistic works which serves fine and applied art functions - the enriched works nature of Sudan inspired the sense of art in past and present. For all the above I am looking deep in Sudanese old relief's to guess what it says? In the past and present time and which kind of analyses will explain it as possible. Taking in my research fixing natural circumstance conditions (weather – rich nature – River Nile – animal resources, etc.). I would like to say it is large research, but there is major connecting point between all Sudanese ancient arts which my research will take it (philosophy vision).

Magic has a power and large believers in all ancient kingdoms and so contemporary tribes here in Sudan, some customs independent on magic (like harvest dance or war dance or birth day of great man, etc.) beside it is magic also give high confidence for them. Beautiful decoration in walls, dresses, pots, cups, arms, food equipments, and doors has many meaning like defines bad devils play as totems. Hunting for brave men played basic contest and practical test, also to get food when they are traveling. They uses animals leathers as wears some times for decoration houses, and for show also (see me I killed a lion before). Gold played important role in Sudanese culture at ancient and present life reveal to wealth. Women use gold for decoration and beauty accessories (see me I am rich or my husband is high class man). Agriculture and irrigation help Sudanese people in there life up to now because there is a lot of water and good soil and different weather mean that there is seeds, fruits and vegetables). Middle East (Earth of religions) north of Sudan to be effected by most of sky religions (Islam – Christianity) this location of Sudan mainly cause of problems and war every body see himself is better than his brother they never take peace and love in first class to living together with multicultural sense. Anyway the drawing and sculpture is so simple and nice contains ideas and expiration mode, leading you to touch real culture, real people have different traditions and customs, most of signs and motives had seen in many places in their art works (sculpture – painting – ceramic), for example one sign reveal to river, River Nile has many meanings and secrets (power – life – immortality – welfare – sometimes God).

Posts: 1549 | From: California, USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clyde Winters   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is great art work it almost reminds you of the Benin work, eventhough it was produced centuries later.

--------------------
C. A. Winters

Posts: 13012 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myra Wysinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Clyde Winters:
This is great art work it almost reminds you of the Benin work, eventhough it was produced centuries later.

Yes that was my thoughts when I saw it. Mr. Hissan is very very talented. I wouldn't mine having both those pieces for my African collection. [Wink]
Posts: 1549 | From: California, USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com