EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » What do you think about what is mentioned?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What do you think about what is mentioned?
SEEKING
Member # 10105

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SEEKING     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LINK
Posts: 391 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yazid904
Member # 7708

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yazid904     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forgery to the nth degree but they like it so!
No one will speak up because they will be branded "necromongers"! jajajeje

Posts: 1290 | From: usa | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reid
Member # 11536

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why is it that Statues of light skinned Egyptians are considered forgery on this forum. I think it is real not a forgery. Egypt had Blacks but I think it also had Asiatic people like Rahotep. Egypt was probably mixed and Nubia was more Black.
Posts: 32 | From: Waterloo | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^This issue of AE art forgery was discussed many times (unfortunately the search function is no longer available).

In all honesty I belief that the statues themselves are real, but they just might have been altered in some way.

By the way Reid, exactly what is so "Asiatic" about Rahotep??

-

-

He looks like a light-skinned black man to me. Which brings me to your other point of admixture...

Explain how Egypt is a "mixed" population. Rahotep maybe light-skinned but there are indigenous populations in Southern Africa that are light-skinned also but have nothing to do with admixture from non-Africans.

What evidence do you have for the Egyptians being "mixed" or having a significant Asiatic presence??

Ironically, are you even aware that there is ample evidence showing that ancient Greeks have admixture not only from western Asia but Africa as well??!

Posts: 26260 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem here is that Mr Ampim is on the right track, but he focuses on the wrong statues to provide proof. The statue of Rahotep and Nofret falls into the category of misrepresentation, which is ONE of the ways Egyptologists distort Egyptian history. By this, I mean that they will PURPOSELY find the lightest complexioned images from a Egyptian tomb or temple and use those as the "typical" Egyptian. Rahotep may have been "lighter" than some other Egyptians. However, his complexion was NOT necessarily the NORM for ancient Egypt. So, by NOT displaying the hundreds of OTHER images from the same time period or SAME tomb, which displays Egyptians as QUITE DARK, it creates a FAKE identity for all Egyptians as being of a lighter complexion. The same goes for the Nofret statue. If you put the statue into CONTEXT, with the HUNDREDS of other images that would have been around the same statue when originally sculpted, you would see that MOST women were portrayed with YELLOW or LIGHT TAN skin. Women in Egypt were certainly NOT yellow and therefore you cannot assume that this light tan color is her ACTUAL skin complexion. So, this form of distortion, which occurs QUITE FREQUENTLY, is a form of distortion practiced by MANY western museums, who quite often feature such FADED, or LIGHT complexioned statues as "indicative" of Ancient Egyptians, while leaving HUNDREDS of other images from the same site either not as prominently displayed or not displayed at all. One or two statues from a tomb with HUNDREDS of images per square yard is NOT indicative of Egyptians and how they depicted themselves in ANY period of their history.

Second, there are MANY other statues that ARE outright frauds, from remanufactured features, like noses and lips, to those that are lightened due to the restoration process, or those that are faded with age and presented as if they are in their "original" condition.

Posts: 8896 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reid
Member # 11536

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To Djehuti

I am understanding better what you say about Africa but I have to say that I was taught was that Egypt was a asiatic civilization with some African influence. But I realize if I hang around this forum long enough that I will see that this is actually the other way around. And also yes I know that their are Africans who look like the rahotep statues. Why I said it was Asiatic was because I guess because I was raised on Egypt being Asiatic. I am slowly beginning to see that maybe that this is wrong and that I should look at Egypt being African first with asiatic infulence. I am a proud black man but I don't need to claim something as black to make me feel better about myself. If the Ancient Egyptians were black then this is good, but if they were Asiatic I think this is also good. Either way you look at it it is all good to me.

Posts: 32 | From: Waterloo | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Supercar
Member # 6477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Supercar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I gather from Mr. Ampim's notes on the said Ra-Hotep statue, he makes an interesting note of "artistic code" employed on the said statue, which according to him, are peculiar in terms of art associated with royalty. For details, you'd have to go through the website itself. That aside, personally, I see nothing odd about color conventions used in the Ra-Hotep & Nofret sculptures.
Posts: 5964 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reid:

To Djehuti

I am understanding better what you say about Africa but I have to say that I was taught was that Egypt was a asiatic civilization with some African influence. But I realize if I hang around this forum long enough that I will see that this is actually the other way around. And also yes I know that their are Africans who look like the rahotep statues. Why I said it was Asiatic was because I guess because I was raised on Egypt being Asiatic. I am slowly beginning to see that maybe that this is wrong and that I should look at Egypt being African first with asiatic infulence. I am a proud black man but I don't need to claim something as black to make me feel better about myself. If the Ancient Egyptians were black then this is good, but if they were Asiatic I think this is also good. Either way you look at it it is all good to me.

Reid, I too was 'raised' to have the same belief by the mainstream educational system. It wasn't until I did more independent research that I learned and accepted the TRUTH.

I am not even black or of African descent myself, but I never had any difficulty believing in a black Egypt.

Again I ask, what exactly is this Asiatic influence?? I ask because the more I learned about Egypt, the less Asiatic it appeared and there was really little Egypt had in common with the Near-East other than complex civilization and urbanisation (unless you make the racist mistake of attributing this to West Asians alone).

We have evidence that the Delta maintained contact via trade relations with Asiatics in the Levant during predynastic times and that there was indeed some influence from this, but other than that, after the conquest of the Delta and the unification of Egypt, I just don't see any.

Posts: 26260 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com