EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » homosexuality in Ancient Egypt?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: homosexuality in Ancient Egypt?
ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a typical West African. We live by a pretty strict morale code. However, since leaving home and travelling the world and meeting all types of people, I've eased up a bit on my hard line principles and I've learnt to be more tolerant of all sorts of eccentric people. Of all the things that were deemed "wrong" when I was growing up, such as doing certain non-Class A (or if in U.S. non-Shedule 1) drugs [Cool] , I'm quite open minded...

However, the one thing that still perplexes me is homosexuality . I have no hate towards a homosexual person & I am very tolerant but I just can't seem to accept it as "ok". It's the one thing I generally have a bad vibe about. In the UK today, I can't even say this in public.

Does anyone know what the Ancient Egyptian view was on this issue?

Posts: 3423 | From: the jungle - when y'all stop playing games, call me. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tee85
Member # 10823

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tee85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anti-homosexuality is supposed to be aprt of the 42 negative confessions or something.

I assume people, as people do, just did what they wanted to do anyway, much the same way people do today in a Judeo Christian society disregard the Ten Commandments and other bible texts that preach against homosexuality.

Sidebar: Lesbianism is NOT mentioned in the bible AT all(I don't think). Dis early people hold women in a lower moral regard than men so it didn't matter if she munched a lil carpet [Embarrassed]

That's IF they even HAD oral sex back then.

Posts: 290 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myra Wysinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Story of Horus and Set

Then Set said to Horus: "Come, let us have a feast day at my house." And Horus said to him: "I will, I will." Now when evening had come, a bed was prepared for them, and they lay down together. At night, Set let his member become stuff, and he inserted it between the thighs of Horus. And Horus placed his hand between his thighs and caught the semen of Set.

. . . . .

After Osiris' eventual death, while Horus was growing up and planning his own revenge, Set and Horus engaged in a homosexual relationship. In one part of the myth, Set proclaimed to Horus, "How lovely your backside is." Informing his mother Isis about his uncle's ardour, Horus is told to catch Set's semen rather than becoming impregnated by the murderer of his father. Set, in doing so, was planning on humiliating Horus by showing the gods that Horus would be filled with someone else's semen.

Horus and Isis's next plan was to 'impregnate' Set with Horus' semen. His mother spreads powerful unguents on Horus' penis, after which he ejaculated into a jar, and they spread it on some lettuce, a favourite aphrodisiac to the ancient Egyptians. Set then eats the semen-covered lettuce, and so Horus (rather than Set with his first 'attack') becomes sexually dominant over his uncle. Set then asked the gods to bring the semen forth from the 'impregnated' one, to humiliate Osiris' son. The semen comes out of Set himself, and he becomes the laughing stock of the gods!

Source: Ancient Egyptian Sexuality

Posts: 1549 | From: California, USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God, if only the search engine worked!

This topic has been covered 4 times already.

The Egyptians seem to have considered homosexuality a sin since it was mentioned so in one of the Egyptian books of the Afterlife.

Of course how common it was in Egyptian society was another issue.

As Myra pointed out above, some of the most explicit and bizzare examples comes from myths concerning the god Set and his conflict with his nephew Heru (Horus). In these myths Set was demonized as being the god of the foreign, strange, or bizzare though.

Also, there are various ancient Egyptian depictions showing the pharoahs in what appears to be an erotic embrace with certain male gods with one hand over the crotch of the god. Whether these were actually sexual or symbolic of something else, I have no idea.

Posts: 26252 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com