EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Dealing with the No-Search feature...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dealing with the No-Search feature...
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wally   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's baffling why such a forum as "Egypt and Egyptology" has been deprived of the ability to search previous topics; for one it would avoid the merry-go-round of redundant discussions, many of which have already been exhausted.

A reasonable solution

What I do is search Google's archives and cache for forum topics. (It would be helpful to know the exact subject matter)

Examples of how I do it:
(I Google...)
Egyptsearch "pharaoh's curse"
Egyptsearch Wally
Egyptsearch "sex in ancient egypt"

While this is not as efficient as would be a search engine within Egyptsearch's forum, it's probably the best for now (sigh)...

Posts: 3344 | From: Berkeley | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^ LOL [Big Grin] That's exactly what I've been doing ever since the search function was take away!...

Either that or actually going through the archive manually while putting a search for a particular word of phrase! [Frown]

Posts: 26560 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yom
Member # 11256

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's what I've been doing as well. It's much easier just to search as if there were a search feature, but adding "site:http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=8"
at the end of it, so that it only searchs the Egypt & Egyptology forum for the parameter. It's more effective than just adding "Egyptsearch" in your search.

--------------------
"Oh the sons of Ethiopia; observe with care; the country called Ethiopia is, first, your mother; second, your throne; third, your wife; fourth, your child; fifth, your grave." - Ras Alula Aba Nega.

Posts: 1024 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wally   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great Tips!, y'all [Smile]
Posts: 3344 | From: Berkeley | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still, it's ironic how a website is called "EgyptSearch" and it is one of the few forums where there is no actual search functionality, where new members can search for archived answers to questions already answered.

It feels more like "EgyptBrowse". [Frown]

Posts: 3423 | From: the jungle - when y'all stop playing games, call me. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^Indeed, but if you've read, this forum did have a search function. From what I hear, the forum moderator did away with it to conserve memory.

Can they not just upgrade the whole forum altogether, or will that mean off limits to the forum for a while??

Posts: 26560 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
^^Indeed, but if you've read, this forum did have a search function. From what I hear, the forum moderator did away with it to conserve memory.

Can they not just upgrade the whole forum altogether, or will that mean off limits to the forum for a while??

I have done the manual search and found that all the forum topics are included, so the "upgraded" forum has actually been "degraded" since a search algorithm does not require a great deal of code to write - no memory is actually saved here! It's just dumb! [Roll Eyes]
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^Well I don't know what to say, except complain to Sammy, the head moderator.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com