EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Where are all the mummies? What happened?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Where are all the mummies? What happened?
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eaten as mumia medicine for centuries in Africa,
Asia, and Europe, by Muslim, Christian, and Jew.
Written on as paper during the USA's Civil War.
Unwrapped at Victorian house parties.
Burned as fuel in the furnaces of steamships.

Over 3000 years 70,000,000 Egyptians were mummified.

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, as you can see, the Europeans could NOT have identified these mummies with their ANCESTORS, because there is NO DOUBT that they would NOT have done such things if they thought they were WHITE.
It also goes to show how DUBIOUS the identification of MANY modern mummies is, since MANY have been shuffled around from place to place after being removed from the original location and sarcophogi which would be used to identify them.

Posts: 8890 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by alTakruri:

Unwrapped at Victorian house parties...

I wouldn't be suprised if many of the mummies that were discovered to be of royal lineage were actually smoked in shisha pipes during masonic sexual frenzies [Big Grin] but who knows...
Posts: 3423 | From: the jungle - when y'all stop playing games, call me. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charm el Feikh?
Member # 10243

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charm el Feikh?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i gotta start going to the same parties as you!
Posts: 5642 | From: hellonearth.myfastforum.org Forum Index | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^LOL [Big Grin] That's fine with you Charm, but I for one prefer to stay away from those kinds of parties.

[Embarrassed] No doubt herukhuti's wild masonic sex parties include "brother to brother circle jerking" [his words, not mine].

But anyway...

Posts: 26239 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by alTakruri:

Eaten as mumia medicine for centuries in Africa,
Asia, and Europe, by Muslim, Christian, and Jew.

I knew that Europeans were into that "trend" but Africans and Asians too?! And even Muslims?? Did these people not consider such acts to be cannibalism, which is exactly what it is?!!

quote:
Written on as paper during the USA's Civil War.
I knew about this as well. It was one of the cheapest ways to get paper back then.
quote:
Unwrapped at Victorian house parties.
Of course. Many "upper-class" Victorians would exhibit these mummies as their own personal side-shows for entertainment.

quote:
Burned as fuel in the furnaces of steamships.
Yes, I even recall a train conductor exclaim how good they were for fuel.

quote:
Over 3000 years 70,000,000 Egyptians were mummified.
[Eek!] And out of all of these mummies recorded, how many were sold off to private collectors and worse yet, how many were destroyed for fuel or [yuck!] eaten?!!

[Mad] Such debauched and destructive acts are not only disrespectful and insulting the Egyptian people but also a great impedement and hinderance on the learning of who these mummies were and the overall study of Kemetian culture and history!!

Posts: 26239 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
^^LOL [Big Grin] That's fine with you Charm, but I for one prefer to stay away from those kinds of parties.

[Embarrassed] No doubt herukhuti's wild masonic sex parties include "brother to brother circle jerking" [his words, not mine].

But anyway...

LOL [Big Grin]
Posts: 3423 | From: the jungle - when y'all stop playing games, call me. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myra Wysinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Countless mummies were also destroyed during the Middle Ages, when they were ground into powder to make supposedly magical potions.

So lets see, Egyptians mummies were either:

- eaten;
- used as writing paper;
- unwrapped at Victorian house parties (only god knows for what purpose);
- burned as fuel in the furnaces of steamships and in Egyptian homes;
- ground into powder for ritual purpose; and
- stored away all over the world in museum basements

So much for respect!

Posts: 1549 | From: California, USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Supercar
Member # 6477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Supercar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have mentioned time and again, the shocking historical realty of the 'eating' of Egyptian mummy as supposed medicine in Europe and southwest Asia, but particularly Europe, aside from other usages reiterated herein, and seen specific supporting material, i.e. evidence for such. I would like though, to know more about "mummy eating" in Africa and its corresponding evidence, since obviously a great deal of Africans did not and still don't have easy access to these, much less think about them, as did Eurasian invaders into Egypt. I can only assume that such potential "Africans" would be local Egyptians themselves, and even in this case, I know of tomb robbers who merely vandalized tombs to sell them to "explorers" from Europe [and perhaps to a lesser extent, southwest Asians like "Arabs" for profit], but not to eat the mummies themselves. As usual, I'm open to compelling evidence on this. [Smile]
Posts: 5964 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes MUMIA is what they called ground up ancient
Egyptian mummy that was eaten as medicine,
mixed in liquids and drunken as a tonic, etc.

Whites/Europeans can't be fingered for this, it
just isn't a racial thing and can't be made so.
This was initiated in Africa by Africans and Asians
(if you consider the Arabian tectonic plate to be
in Asia, which I do NOT and which it is not).

No Abrahamic religion regarded it as cannibalism.
Back then no one thought that after pieces of a
mummy -- human corpse, linen, natron, embalming
ingredients, etc. -- were reduced to mumia that a
deceased human being was further involved. Some
Jews may still produce mumia from foreskins and
or dead people and animals.

No doubt mumia wound up among traditionalist
Africans who likewise thought no more about
respecting the dead than anyone else when they
too made use of the product.

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Supercar
Member # 6477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Supercar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^And now, I'm sure the requested evidence will be delivered.

--------------------
Truth - a liar penetrating device!

Posts: 5964 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myra Wysinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Supercar:
^^And now, I'm sure the requested evidence will be delivered.

Thanks to alTakruri word "MUMI", I was able to search:

One of the most curious commodities Europeans sought from Egypt was 'mummy' for use as a medicinal ingredient. In the 16th and 17th centuries, it was one of the most common drugs found in the apothecaries' shops of Europe, and in 1658 the philosopher Sir Thomas Browne commented, 'Mummy is become Merchandise, Mizraim cures wounds, and Pharaoh is sold for Balsams.' However, it seems that from as early as AD 1100, and probably before, mummy was prescribed as a medicinal ingredient.

The word 'mummy', according to Abd' el-Latif the Arab physician who was writing in the 12th century, was derived from the Persian term mumia which meant pitch or bitumen. In Persia this substance flowed from the mountain tops and, mixed with the waters that carried it down, coagulated like mineral pitch; the resultant liquid was purported to have medicinal properties and indeed may have had some real benefit as an antiseptic. The Mummy Mountain became famed for this healing substance, and even the Queen of England received a gift of mumia from the King of Persia in 1809.

However, the demand rapidly exceeded the natural supply, and so other sources were sought. The blackened appearance of some of the preserved bodies of the ancient Egyptians (particularly those prepared in the later periods) led to the erroneous assumption that this was the result of the bodies being soaked in bitumen, and so it was believed that they would provide an alternative supply of mumia for medicinal use. Indeed, Abd' el-Latif claimed, 'The mummy found in the hollow corpses in Egypt differs but immaterially from the nature of mineral mummy and where any difficulty arises in procuring, the latter may be substituted in its stead.' The word mumia was consequently applied to these preserved bodies, and they have since come to be known as 'mummies'.

The history of the trade in mumia thus goes back over several centuries. In the earliest days, a flourishing business was established at Alexandria and since large profits were to be made, many foreigners began to trade in mumia, exporting complete mummies or packages of fragmented tissue from Cairo and Alexandria. Soon, demand began to exceed supply and in his History of Mummies written in 1834, the surgeon Thomas Pettigrew commented, 'No sooner was it credited that mummy constituted an article of value in the practice of medicine than many speculators embarked in the trade; the tombs were sacked, and as many mummies as could be obtained 'broken into pieces for the purpose of sale.'

The Egyptian authorities had to limit export of mummies, but this only exacerbated the problem and led to fraudulent solutions. Pettigrew explains how Guy de la Fonteine of Navarre investigated the mummy trade in Alexandria in 1564; when he looked into the stock of mummies held by the chief dealer there, he found that the supply was augmented by preparing the bodies of the recently dead, often executed criminals, by treating them with bitumen and exposing them to the sun, to produce mummified tissue which was then sold as authentic mumia. Later in the 18th century, when the nature of such supplies was eventually revealed to the authorities, traders were imprisoned, a tax was levied, and it became illegal to remove mummies from Egypt.

The actual benefits of the ingredient were disputed. On the one hand, it was used to treat amongst other ailments, abscesses, fracture, concussion, paralysis, epilepsy, coughs, nausea and ulcers. It also received royal approval when King Francis I of France reputedly always carried with him some mumia mixed with pulverized rhubarb to treat his ailments. However, according to the physician Ambrose Pare', writing in 1634, it had no beneficial effects:

'This wicked kinde of drugge, doth nothing help the diseased...it also inferres many troublesome symptomes, as the paine of the heart or stomacke, vomiting, and stinke of the mouth.'

The strict measures introduced to curb the mummy trade did in fact reduce the worst excesses, but the ingredient continued to be in demand, and was still in use in medicines in 19th century Europe.

Source

Posts: 1549 | From: California, USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Supercar
Member # 6477

Thanks Myra, for trying to address my requests with this interesting link. Obviously, I am quite well aware of what is stated in your post, as I have made comments and posted excerpts on this very same subject time and again. Perhaps I should have been relatively more specific in my request; I was looking for evidence regarding "mummy eating" by "Africans" [and which Africans(?)], of which I've seen none to date.

--------------------
Truth - a liar penetrating device!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com