EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » OT: Dahlak archipelago

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: OT: Dahlak archipelago
Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myra Wysinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I moved this from the "Land of Punt" thread to start a new thread, because I found it of interest. I did a little research. [Wink]

quote:
Originally posted by Yom:
. . . . does anyone know anything about "the island of the inhabitants of Uten"? The Encyclopaedia Aethiopica states that it may have been referring to the Dahlak islands. Another name it makes reference to elswhere is equating Egyptian "WDTT" with Adulis (Adulis = Greek name, native name probably something related to "Zula")

Dahlak archipelago
 -

Dahalik: Mysterious Tongue of the Dahlak Islands
Hanna Azbaha, April 17, 2006

For the past ten years, Dr. Marie- Claude Simeone-Senelle, who is director of research at the French national center for scientific research, CNRS (Centre Nationale de la Recherche Scientifique), has been studying Dahalik, a language spoken on the Dahlak islands and nowhere else in the world. Dr Simeone-Senelle, who is also the director at the institute of language, is devoted to studying modern, spoken and written languages descending from Southern Arabia.

In the pursuit of her research on South Arabian languages, Dr. Simeone-Senelle decided to do a survey on the Arabic and Afar spoken on Dahlak Kebir in 1996. Back then, she recalls that some of the people she interviewed informed her that their mother tongue was different from the two languages that she was interested in. Their answer was quite a surprising discovery for her as they told her that their mother tongue has for generations been what they named Dahalik. This unexpected discovery led her to probe into a full-fledged research on Dahalik, which went on for a decade. On Tuesday April 4, 2006, she gave a lecture on the essentials of her findings at the Alliance Française d’Asmara. This interesting lecture attracted quite a number of participants.

The Dahlak archipelago consists of more than 200 islands and islets. Found at a certain distance off the coast of Massawa, for the most part, they have a desert-like terrain; with a barren landscape and thorny shrubs and bushes for vegetation. Nothing could have described the forbidding climate better than the name of the islands, believed to have been derived from an Arabic word, Dah’ala, whose translation is the “gates of hell”. However, most of the islands are blessed with beautiful mangrove-lined beaches. The unmatched beauty of the coral reefs and the impressive marine biodiversity make the sea around the Dahlak archipelago nothing short of a diver’s paradise. The two largest islands are Dahlak Kebir and Nora. For the most part, the small islets are uninhabited because of the harshness of the climate.

-

Various tombs, monuments and other remains on the islands bear testimony to the fact that the history of the islanders goes very far back in history. The Dahlak people still practice their long-established pastoralist and fisherman’s way of life. Moreover, collecting shells has been adopted as one lucrative means of living amongst the inhabitants. Most people think that the islanders speak Afar, Tigre or Arabic. An interesting discovery however has made known the existence of a mysterious tongue, spoken exclusively on these islands, which the speakers call Dahalik.

There is no agreed time as to when Dahalik appeared. The people that Dr. Simeone-Seneelle interviewed affirm the oldness of their language, by tracing it to the time when their ancestors settled there, 2000 years ago.

Although the question as to when the Dahalik appeared cannot be ascertained, the question as to why it appeared is probably due to the separation of the islanders from the mainlanders by the sea. Simeone-Senelle attributes the strong resemblance with Tigre to the fact that 2000 years ago settlers came from the Zula peninsula to settle on the island, bringing their language along with them. Isolation has been responsible for the formation of a number of languages, case in point Afrikaans in South Africa. This language came into existence because of the fact that the native Dutch speakers living in South Africa were separated from their country of origin by such a great distance and they lived in isolation for such a long time.

A survey that ran from 2002-2006 led her to come up with the conjecture that it belongs to the Afro-Semetic group. Dahalik is spoken on the islands of Dahlak Kebir, Nora and Dehil. According to Dr. Simeone-Senelle, there are a number of factors justifying the recognition of Dahalik as a language separate from Tigre.

Ancient tombstones at Dahlak Kebir
 -

For one thing, the Dahalik speakers have a strong sense of identity, purporting to differ from all other ethnic groups, based in originality of their traditions. Although they are unhappy about the fact that they remain unrecognized as a separate language and people, they give emphasis to the originality of their traditions. Moreover, making reference to Dahalik texts, both literary and non-literary and the oral traditions, one can see that the people have a distinct culture. The oral traditions are passed on to the younger generation. Dr. Simeone-Senelle presented an excerpt of a recording of a young Dahlak girl telling a folk tale in Dahalik.

Dr. Simeone-Senelle’s study reveals that from the linguistic perspective, Dahalik is endowed with a number of features that make it distinct from other closely related languages. Its lexicon and its grammar, along with the dialectical differences between the different islands could probably justify its being classified as a distinct language.

After making the first records of the vocabulary and some excerpts of stories Dr. Simeone-Seneelle tried to test it on a native Tigre speaker to see how far it is related to Tigre. Dr. Simeone-Senelle recalls that although the man was able to point out certain words that are similar to Tigre, could not figure out what the passages meant. Ato Saleh Mahmud, a linguist at the Ministry of Education, also involved in research of Dahalik, argued that although there might be differences between Dahalik and Tigre, they are not sufficient to classify it as a language. In contrast, another participant at the conference, Emily, who can speak fluent Dahalik and Tigre strengthened Dr. Senelle’s finding by saying that every time she tried to speak to her Tigre relatives in Dahalik, they failed to understand what she was trying to say. Thus arguably, had the distinction between Dahalik and Tigre been just a dialectical difference, it would not have resulted in such a great dissimilarity.

Small Dahlaki shop on Dahlak Kebir
 -

In conclusion, Dr. Simeone-Senelle declared her conviction that, although some have suggested Dahalik to be some form of a Creole, she wishes to differ. Based on her finding of the complexity of the verbal system, the nominal and pronominal morpho-syntax and the syntax of complex sentences, she states, “Dahalik in its modern form cannot be considered as a Tigre-based Creole, although there is data suggesting a close relation between Dahalik and Tigre, and similarities with Tigrinya and Arabic, the divergences are too important to consider Dahalik as a dialect of Tigre.”

Dr. Simeone-Senelle’s plans for the future include making an exhaustive description of Dahalik and producing a multilingual dictionary in partnership with Saleh Mahmud, a linguist from the Ministry of Education.

Whether or not Dahalik can be called a language is not of significance. What is important is our willingness to accept its uniqueness and to do all we can to preserve such a unique heritage. In the words of Dr. Simeone-Senelle, “linguistic research contributes to spreading and safeguarding a part of Eritrean patrimony and, on a larger scale, to have a better knowledge of humanity’s heritage.” [Source]

Dahlak Kebir is the largest island in the archipelago and harbours nine ethnic villages and a number of significant archaeological ruins of both islander and Arabian origin; in fact, the island is so full of significance that it may soon be declared a Unesco World Heritage Site.

Other islands of this archipelago, besides Dahlak Kebir are: Dhuladhiya, Dissei, Dohul, Erwa, Harat, Hermil, Isra-Tu, Nahleg, Norah and Shumma.

Posts: 1549 | From: California, USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yom
Member # 11256

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Note that Dahalik and Tigre are for the most part mutually intelligible. A number of the differences can be explained by Arabic influences. Dahlak was under Arab rule ca. 700-800 and for a few intervals afterward between 900 and 1200 (most of the time it was vassal to the Emperor of Ethiopia), and ruled by the Ottomans from 1557 onward.

Note that my spelling of Adulis above as WDTT is incorrect, see the Punt thread, where I'm about to correct it and post a couple more possible parallels.

--------------------
"Oh the sons of Ethiopia; observe with care; the country called Ethiopia is, first, your mother; second, your throne; third, your wife; fourth, your child; fifth, your grave." - Ras Alula Aba Nega.

Posts: 1024 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A thought just suddenly occured to me!...

What if the island featured in the Kemetian Tale of the Shipwrecked Sailor was actually based on one of the islands of the Dahlak archipelago??!

According to the tale, the island was part of Punt and was sacred because it was home to the snake deity that lived there.

Posts: 26354 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yom
Member # 11256

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^ That's what I was thinking too, actually. It makes the most sense (too bad it doesn't say the name of the island or associate it somehow with Uten).

--------------------
"Oh the sons of Ethiopia; observe with care; the country called Ethiopia is, first, your mother; second, your throne; third, your wife; fourth, your child; fifth, your grave." - Ras Alula Aba Nega.

Posts: 1024 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myra Wysinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the original story:

Papyrus Leningrad 1115: Hieratic and hieroglyphic texts. This tale is only known in one copy, preserved in the Hermitage collection at St. Petersburg, Russia.

Tales of Ancient Egypt: The Shipwrecked Sailor (2200 BCE)

GOING TO WAWAT
XIITH DYNASTY

THE wise servant said, "Let thy heart be satisfied, O my lord, for that we have come back to the country; after we have been long on board, and rowed much, the prow has at last touched land. All the people rejoice and embrace us one after another. Moreover, we have come back in good health, and not a man is lacking; although we have been to the ends of Wawat [Nubia], and gone through the land of Senmut [Kush], we have returned in peace, and our land---behold, we have come back to it. Hear me, my lord;

I have no other refuge. Wash thee, and turn the water over thy fingers; then go and tell the tale to the majesty."

His lord replied, "Thy heart continues still its wandering words! but although the mouth of a man may save him his words may also cover his face with confusion. Will you do then as your heart moves you? This that you will say, tell quietly."

The sailor then answered, "Now I shall tell that which has happened to me, to my very self. I was going to the mines of Pharaoh, and I went down on the sea in a ship of one hundred and fifty cubits long and forty cubits wide, with one hundred and fifty sailors of the best of Egypt who had seen heaven and earth, and whose hearts were stronger than lions. They had said that the wind would not be contrary, or that there would be none. But as we approached the land, the wind arose, and threw up waves eight cubits high. As for me, I seized a piece of wood; but those who were in the vessel perished, without one remaining. A wave threw me on an island, after that I had been three days alone, without a companion beside my own heart. I laid me in a thicket, and the shadow covered me. Then stretched I my limbs to try to find something for my mouth. I found there figs and grain, melons of all kinds, fishes, and birds. Nothing was lacking. And I satisfied myself; and left on the ground that which was over, of what my arms had been filled withal. I dug a pit, I lighted a fire, and I made a burnt offering unto the gods.

"Suddenly I heard a noise as of thunder, which I thought to be that of a wave of the sea. The trees shook, and the earth was moved. I uncovered my face, and I saw that a serpent drew near. He was thirty cubits long, and his beard greater than two cubits; his body was as overlaid with gold, and his color as that of true lazuli. He coiled himself before me. "Then he opened his mouth, while that I lay on my face before him, and he said to me, "What has brought you, what has brought you, little one, what has brought you? If you say not speedily what has brought you to this isle, I will make you know yourself; as a flame you shall vanish, if you tell me not something I have not heard, or which I knew not, before you.'

"Then he took me in his mouth and carried me to his resting-place, and laid me down without any hurt. I was whole and sound, and nothing was gone from me. Then he opened his mouth against me, while that I lay on my face before him, and he said, "What has brought you, what has brought you, little one, what has brought you to this isle which is in the sea, and of which the shores are in the midst of the waves?'

"Then I replied to him, and holding my arms low before him, I said to him, "I was embarked for the mines by the order of the majesty, in a ship, one hundred and fifty cubits was its length, and the width of it forty cubits. It had one hundred and fifty sailors of the best of Egypt, who had seen heaven and earth, and the hearts of whom were stronger than lions. They said that the wind would not be contrary, or that there would be none. Each of them exceeded his companion in the prudence of his heart and the strength of his arm, and I was not beneath any of them. A storm came upon us while we were on the sea. Hardly could we reach to the shore when the wind waxed yet greater, and the waves rose even eight cubits. As for me, I seized a piece of wood, while those who were in the boat perished without one being left with me for three days. Behold me now before you, for I was brought to this isle by a wave of the sea.'

"Then said he to me, "Fear not, fear not, little one, and make not your face sad. If you have come to me, it is God who has let you live. For it is He who has brought you to this isle of the blest, where nothing is lacking, and which is filled with all good things. See now, you shall pass one month after another, until you shall be four months in this isle. Then a ship shall come from your land with sailors, and you shall leave with them and go to your country, and you shall die in your town.'

'"Converse is pleasing, and he who tastes of it passes over his misery. I will therefore tell you of that which is in this isle. I am here with my brethren and my children around me; we are seventy-five serpents, children, and kindred; without naming a young girl who was brought unto me by chance, and on whom the fire of heaven fell, and burned her to ashes. As for you, if you are strong, and if your heart waits patiently, you shall press your infants to your bosom and embrace your wife. You shall return to your house which is full of all good things, you shall see your land, where you shall dwell in the midst of your kindred.'

THE FAREWELL

"Then I bowed in my obeisance, and I touched the ground before him. "Behold now that which I have told you before. I shall tell of your presence unto Pharaoh, I shall make him to know of your greatness, and I will bring to you of the sacred oils and perfumes, and of incense of the temples with which all gods are honored. I shall tell, moreover, of that which I do now see (thanks to him), and there shall be rendered to you praises before the fullness of all the land. I shall slay asses for you in sacrifice, I shall pluck for you the birds, and I shall bring for you ships full of all kinds of the treasures of Egypt, as is comely to do unto a god, a friend of men in a far country, of which men know not.'

"Then he smiled at my speech, because of that which was in his heart, for he said to me: "You are not rich in perfumes, for all that you have is but common incense. As for me, I am prince of the land of Punt, and I have perfumes. Only the oil which you say you would bring is not common in this isle. But, when you shall depart from this place, you shall never more see this isle; it shall be changed into waves.'

"And behold, when the ship drew near, according to all that he had told me before, I got up into an high tree, to strive to see those who were within it. Then I came and told to him this matter, but it was already known unto him before. Then he said to me, "Farewell, farewell, go to your house, little one, see again your children, and let your name be good in your town; these are my wishes for you.'

"Then I bowed myself before him, and held my arms low before him, and he, he gave me gifts of precious perfumes, of cassia, of sweet woods, of kohl, of cypress, an abundance of incense, of ivory tusks, of baboons, of apes, and all kinds of precious things. I embarked all in the ship which was come, and bowing myself, I prayed God for him. Then he said to me, "Behold you shall come to your country in two months, you shall press to your bosom your children, and you shall rest in your tomb.' After this I went down to the shore unto the ship, and I called to the sailors who were there. Then on the shore I rendered adoration to the master of this isle and to those who dwelt therein.

"When we shall come, in our return, to the house of Pharaoh, in the second month, according to all that the serpent has said, we shall approach unto the palace. And I shall go in before Pharaoh, I shall bring the gifts which I have brought from this isle into the country. Then he shall thank me before the fullness of the land. Grant then unto me a follower, and lead me to the courtiers of the king. Cast your eye upon me after that I have both seen and proved this. Hear my prayer, for it is good to listen to people. It was said unto me, "Become a wise man, and you shall come to honor,' and behold I have become such."

This is finished from its beginning unto its end, even as it was found in a writing. It is written by the scribe of cunning fingers, Ameni-amenaa; may he live in life, wealth, and health!

Source:

From: Eva March Tappan, ed., The World's Story: A History of the World in Story, Song and Art, Boston: Houghton Mifflin, (1914), Vol. III: Egypt, Africa, and Arabia, trans. W. K. Flinders Petrie, pp. 41-46.

Scanned by: J. S. Arkenberg, Dept. of History, Cal. State Fullerton. Prof. Arkenberg has modernized the text.

Posts: 1549 | From: California, USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think more archaeological research needs to be done on these islands (as well as mainland Eritrea/Ethiopia). I am seriously considering that the Tale of the Shipwrecked Sailor was based on one of these islands. All the elements have to be more than just fortuitous coincidence!
Posts: 26354 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yom
Member # 11256

Member Rated:
^^ Unforutnately, the threat of war makes archaeological research slow to reach these areas. Especially considering most of Eritrea is very near the Ethiopian border and the Ethiopian areas most interesting for excavation are in Tigray in the North, along the Eritrean border. For example, Fattovich had to cut short his excavations at Aksum (Bieta Giyorgis hill) due to the 1998-2000 war.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com