EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » OT: Nigerian leaders stole $380bn

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: OT: Nigerian leaders stole $380bn
Yonis
Member # 7684

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yonis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yesterday BBC news publiished an article on how much money the Nigerian leaders have stolen from the country since 1960, the Nigerian chief corruption fighter Nuhu Ribadu reported that it was no less than 380 billion dollars. And most of it have ended up in European Banks (will most likley never come back to the country).

Lets see what you can do with 384.6 billion dollars

Yo can buy:
225 Space Shuttles
795,115 Rolls Royce Phantoms
400m PC computers <---- very important for the enhancement of the people
32m primary school rooms <--- extremly important for the enhancement of the people
3,800kg rice for each Nigerian

Now this is really sad for a country with such richness and blessing of natural resources like Nigeria to throw all that money away by giving it to European banks, where it results being apart of the European economy, while the average Nigerian struggles to survive the day.

And Nigeria is suppose to be one of the future leading countries in Africa [Roll Eyes]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/6069230.stm

ps. this is not a flame thread, i just found this article depressing being a fellow African, and i though it might be important to discuss it, only civil inputs are welcomed.

Posts: 1420 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This should go into Politics.
Posts: 7083 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yonis
Member # 7684

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yonis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No it does not, in the politic section in this message board they only discuss arab politics, I think its more appropiate here.

Most people post here are African and African descent, and the issue with Nigeria is that a strong Nigeria means a stronger West Africa and a stronger West Africa means a stronger Africa, so it concerns us in this sub-forum [Smile]

Posts: 1420 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arwa
Member # 11172

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arwa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is African corruption style, while for Europeans, it takes 50-100 years to steal the same amount money, the African leaders lack patience [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 2198 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^LOL Unfortunately so! Even the corrupt Asian politicians like the Philippines would not be able to get away with that!!

Of course, I blame part of this on Westerners who try to give 'charity' to Africa while not realizing that any money they send directly to the nations and not to non-profit organizations will just end up in the pockets of the tyrants!

Posts: 26286 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Africa
Member # 12142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Africa         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe most of the money stolen came from the Oil revenues...
plan2replan Copyright © 2006 Africa

Posts: 711 | From: Africa | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe that that figure is GROSSLY overstated. Firstly because, depending on the time frame covered, it is MORE than the total OIL revenues generated for that same time period. Secondly, if THAT much money was being taken by a hand full of AFRICANS they would be amongst the RICHEST people in the world and they arent. So, somehow it DOES NOT add up. I agree that over the last 40 years, Nigeria has generated $400 billion in revenue that has DISAPPEARED, but I DOUBT most of that money is in the HANDS of Africans. People seem to forget that NEO COLONIALISM puts a BLACK AFRICAN face on what is really a WHITE EUROPEAN system of EXPLOITATION.

Name 1 Nigerian multibillionare OIL TYCOON......

You cant.

Posts: 8897 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Supercar
Member # 6477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Supercar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doug M:

You cant.

Here's one [Big Grin] ...

-

Mike Adenuga; an oil business man, who has been referenced as a mult-billionaire on several occasions.

I know what you were getting at though. [Wink]

Posts: 5964 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ife hu
Member # 12001

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ife hu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nigerian leaders and most of African leaders are a disgrace. Their greed and lack of intelligence is appalling and it makes the people who strive to live decent lives look bad.
Posts: 38 | From: united states | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL at the speculations. Nigerian hustlers are sitting pretty but you have to be in the system to understand [Wink]

Also, there are many Nigerian multi-billionaires* & multi-millionaires* (we're not speaking in Naira here but in Sterling & Dollars), they just keep a low profile. You wouldn't want attention if you were sitting on that sort of money (from questionable sources) now, would you?

You guys are just going to have to wait for "the plan" to be completed before all becomes clear to the blind. The pyramid will soon be be unveiled. I hope y'all have a pair of shades cause the Nigerian sun shines bright [Big Grin]

*how do I know? I know them personally, that's how. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 3423 | From: the jungle - when y'all stop playing games, call me. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Macawiis
Member # 11724

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Macawiis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that's very sad if it's true

400 billion is thousands of schools,hospitals,new roads a few trips to the moon etc etc

you can do a lot with 3/400 billion even if it's spread out in a timeframe of 40/50 years

Posts: 275 | From: .. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^that's true, but (correct me if I'm inaccurate) did Heru not use Set to defeat Set? [Big Grin]
Posts: 3423 | From: the jungle - when y'all stop playing games, call me. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Machiavelli:
LOL at the speculations. Nigerian hustlers are sitting pretty but you have to be in the system to understand [Wink]

Also, there are many Nigerian multi-billionaires* & multi-millionaires* (we're not speaking in Naira here but in Sterling & Dollars), they just keep a low profile. You wouldn't want attention if you were sitting on that sort of money (from questionable sources) now, would you?

You guys are just going to have to wait for "the plan" to be completed before all becomes clear to the blind. The pyramid will soon be be unveiled. I hope y'all have a pair of shades cause the Nigerian sun shines bright [Big Grin]

*how do I know? I know them personally, that's how. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

A businessman IS a hustler, I dont know WHY people dont understand that. Europeans have been HUSTLING Africans for centuries. MY point is why dont Nigerians and other Africans have MORE to show for their MILLIONS or BILLIONS than just a bank account? THAT is what makes me suspicious. Seems to me that these are BILLIONARES on PAPER ONLY. Money like that sitting in banks is MEANINGLESS. REAL money does REAL things like build construction companies, mines, farms, industries, factories, stores, import/export trade and so on. There is SOMETHING FISHY with all these so called BILLIONARES and MILLIONARES who have NO MAJOR INDUSTRIES to SHOW for ALL THAT MONEY. Nine times out of ten that money is being held by SOMEONE ELSE and they couldnt get a HOLD of it if they wanted to........

MANY corrupt politicians in Africa are said to be multi billionares and millionares but actually they are just FRONTS for a larger criminal enterprise run by Europeans and others who USE these politicians to further their OWN interests. This SCAM is most obvious when you see that the money of the said politician is tied up in a bunch of OFFSHORE banks and OFFSHORE holding companies, where it is hard to actually TRACE the money and identify who HAS it. THEREFORE, while the money IS being stolen and IS being deposited somewhere and CAN be traced back to some African politician and corruption, it does NOT mean it is going LITERALLY into the POCKET of that African politician. MOST LIKELY it is going into the pockets of THOSE who SUPPORTED that politician and put him into power in the FIRST PLACE. THOSE people behind the scenes are the REAL crooks and THOSE are the people who are the REAL industrialists, bankers and corporate tycoons who do REAL things with that REAL money. In other words, those are the REAL hustlers.

Finally, why is it African politicians are seen as somehow DIFFERENT than politicians ANYWHERE ELSE? ALL politicians are corrupted by the SAME bunch of international industrial bankers, industrialists and corporate tycoons who are RAPING Africa through corrupt African politicians, just like they RAPE other countries by supporting politicians and having these politicians push the AGENDA of the corporations over the will of the people. Africa is not UNIQUE and DIFFERENT in this regard. The ONLY thing that is different is that the COUNTRIES of Africa have been SUFFERING from EXPLOITATION for so long that they HAVE NO MONEY to BEGIN WITH. That does not CHANGE the attitude of these CORPORATE crooks however, as they will USE anyone they need to GET WHAT THEY WANT and they dont CARE about who suffers.

Africans need to control their OWN economies and put their money INTO their economies in order to create TRUE wealth and prosperity by having REAL industrialists, manufacturing companies, mining companies and other MAJOR industrial/financial/agricultural enterprises that will GENERATE wealth for a LARGE percentage of the population. FAKE African multibillionares who ONLY have money on PAPER and cant actually USE it are just FRONTS for the ongoing RAPE and EXPLOITATION of Africa by FOREIGN interests, IMO.

Posts: 8897 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11484

Rate Member
^you're of course speculating as to whether or not they have access to their money. I happen to KNOW that they do and they are MULTIPLYING it, quietly.

Some people would argue that, spending money in Nigeria to build (construction companies, mines, farms, stores e.t.c) is unproductive considering we already have ALL these things in Nigeria and they haven't taken the common man (of Nigeria) very far. Nigeria is under siege, economically. So you must understand that it is not so easy to spend the money in Nigeria. Smart Nigerian hustlers empower individuals from Nigeria, and not Nigeria itself (i.e. cause it's not actually possible at the mo, given the political climate).

My old man is in the Nigerian political system and I schooled with children of the last 3 Nigerian presidents and I tell ya, people are holding what they're holding. NOT ALL those who are holding on to these monies are "fools" as you seem to believe. This is my main point. There is a time for everything. Time reveals all.

Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Machiavelli:
^you're of course speculating as to whether or not they have access to their money. I happen to KNOW that they do and they are MULTIPLYING it, quietly.

Some people would argue that, spending money in Nigeria to build (construction companies, mines, farms, stores e.t.c) is unproductive considering we already have ALL these things in Nigeria and they haven't taken the common man (of Nigeria) very far. Nigeria is under siege, economically. So you must understand that it is not so easy to spend the money in Nigeria. Smart Nigerian hustlers empower individuals from Nigeria, and not Nigeria itself (i.e. cause it's not actually possible at the mo, given the political climate).

My old man is in the Nigerian political system and I schooled with children of the last 3 Nigerian presidents and I tell ya, people are holding what they're holding. NOT ALL those who are holding on to these monies are "fools" as you seem to believe. This is my main point. There is a time for everything. Time reveals all.

Africa has been under siege economically, socially and culturally for 4,000 years. Where have YOU been at? This did NOT just start and it is a LAME excuse for NOT pushing out those FOREIGNERS who CONTINUE to EXPLOIT Africa for their OWN gain (true HUSTLERS) as opposed to those Africans who SIT on their money in such a way that it DOES NOTHING to further the interests of Africans CONTROLLING THEIR OWN ECONOMIC DESTINY. Controlling your ECONOMIC DESTINY is not measured in how many SO CALLED millionares/billionares there are on PAPER, but how many INDUSTRIES, FACTORIES and FARMS AFRICANS actually OWN AND CONTROL. Sure, Nigeria is a well off country in Africa and those who HAVE the money and industrial capacity should USE it to SPREAD the development of industries and infrastructure throughout the REST of Africa. THAT would generate MORE profit from trade and INCREASE the standard of living for MORE Africans on the continent, without them being EXPLOITED by foreigners.....

THAT is the issue I am getting at. Until Africans can BUILD their own TRUCKS, their own BOATS, their own HIGHWAYS, their own irrigation systems, their own MINES, their own POWER PLANTS, their own DAMS and so on, they will ALWAYS be at the MERCY of FOREIGN powers who will USE the PROMISE of such projects to JUSTIFY continued EXPLOITATION.

Member # 11484

Rate Member
^I understand. But as an old simple Yoruba proverb states, there are many pathways to the eye of Oshun(river).

If things are done the way you have proposed, Nigeria may not even last another 40 years as a country. They say if you're going to take your hand out of the sleeping lions mouth, do it slowly & quietly.

There is a lot more to this game than meets the eye.

Member # 11484

Rate Member
quote:

...Until Africans can BUILD their own TRUCKS, their own BOATS, their own HIGHWAYS, their own irrigation systems, their own MINES, their own POWER PLANTS, their own DAMS and so on, they will ALWAYS be at the MERCY of FOREIGN powers who will USE the PROMISE of such projects to JUSTIFY continued EXPLOITATION.

Do you think the 'powers that be' will watch this happen? If this is to be done, it has to be done is one quick immutable move. This is the opportunity we await [Wink]

Patience is required when playing chess.

Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nigerians have the RIGHT TO VOTE! or do they? [Big Grin]

-

^Spot the last 3 (including the current one) Nigerian presidents playing 'draft' in that pic. Is it coincidence or what? [Big Grin]

wake up Black people [Wink] the game of power is chess, not checkers

Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes^ I agree.

--------------------
http://iheartguts.com/shop/bmz_cache/7/72e040818e71f04c59d362025adcc5cc.image.300x261.jpg http://www.nastynets.net/www.mousesafari.com/lohan-facial.gif

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Obelisk_18
Member # 11966

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Obelisk_18     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Supercar:
quote:

You cant.

Here's one [Big Grin] ...

-

Mike Adenuga; an oil business man, who has been referenced as a mult-billionaire on several occasions.

I know what you were getting at though. [Wink]

Yep, America and the Emirates arent the only countries with fat corrupt oil CEOS! lol..... but the difference between those countries and Nigeria is that they actually spend their petro dollars the right way... you know to help build up the country.. or at least try to [Big Grin]
Posts: 447 | From: Somewhere son... | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Solver
Member # 9033

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Solver         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^The point is that there seems to be this assumption by some folks that Africans are somehow passive observers in the setup of foreign corporations and business enterprises in the exploitation of Africa's natural resources. In reality, there are thin social layers of Africans who do benefit economically from these business enterprises; it is the complacence of these social layers [of Africans] that makes it even more easier for foreign businesses to exploit Africa's resources.

^Is this selfish? You bet ya.

Is it stupid? Perhaps, when considering the plight of the general populace, at whose expense these business dealings are undertaken, but from the standpoint of the said African accomplices, they stand to gain economically in a substantial way. They don't stop to think about the greater part of the population. They do however, seek to protect the thin social layer of elites that they belong to, to the extent that it would affect them personally if the social layer were to be brought down. This social layer usually operates with relative impunity in African countries where incompetent and authoritarian ruling elites are backed financially if not militarily as well, by sponsor nations from Europe, the U.S., or 'east' [like China].

Geopolitical 'power' from 'military-industrial' complex? Well, in a number of African countries, the situation is almost akin to: If you can't beat them, then join them...this seems to be the premise which thin social layers of Africans operate from. No doubt the brutal and reactionary policy of colonization by European imperialism had played and continues to play a crucial part in bringing about this situation.

Posts: 1947 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ And again I say these fat, spoiled, and greedy bastards are straight up direct descendants of the puppet rulers European colonists set up.--- They are the few natives of their African nations chosen and paid by foreigners (usally Westerners) to keep the rest of their people poor and downtrodden while the Western countries recieve cheap resources (including human labor).

Western Imperialism still lives-- and these African tyrants are proof of it!

Posts: 26286 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com