EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Which People resemble egyptians? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Which People resemble egyptians?
Hafun626
Member # 12381

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hafun626     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi i just wanted to know which group of people the ancient Egyptians resemble today?. the reason i ask is because i friend suggested they never looked like the Egyptians of today (the people living in Egypt today). And if there are such people, is it widely acknowledged by the wider community (meaning Scientist, Archeologist, or historians).

PS: I know you may have discussed this in the past, but am new here. Thank you

Posts: 3 | From: Australia | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tk101
Member # 12361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tk101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes i'm pretty sure the egyptians of today dont resemeble those of the past...simply becuase of the immigration over the centuries
Posts: 40 | From: Chicago | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Depends what modern Egyptian population you mention. There are two contrversial statues from ancient Egypt known as Ka-aper[Sheikh el beled] and Ra-hotep and Nofret. Both these statues resemble many modern Egyptians but as a whole Egyptians have mixed with foreigners.

The people in Egypt that most closely resemble the ancient Egyptians are the people in the southernmost regions of Egypt. Most people in the southern most regions have not mixed with foreigners as much as people in northern Egypt.

The Beja and Nubian people have been said by many scholars to resemble the ancient Egyptians.

http://employees.oneonta.edu/farberas/arth/images/109images/egyptian/kaaper.jpg
When Mariette's workers discovered this statue, they called it "Sheikh el-Beled", because of its appearance being similar to the chief of their village. However, it actually portrays the figure of a chief lector priest known as Ka-aper.
http://touregypt.net/featurestories/picture06242003.htm

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^Indeed.

-

-  -

Not all Egyptians, especially those from rural areas of the south, are as 'mixed' as many think.

-

-

-

-

-

Ironically, the only time you see such Egyptians on TV is on programs that feature archaeological digs like on the Discovery Channel. These archaeological excavations take place on famous sites like the Valley of the Kings in which the Egyptologists are assisted by people from local villages to do all the manual labor like digging. These local people don't get good camera time or shots, but it seems like it hardly occurs to many that these local (black) peoples are the closest relatives to those buried in those ancient tombs!

Posts: 26238 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hikuptah
Member # 11131

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hikuptah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the people who resemble the ancient egyptians the most would be the Horn of Africans Djhetui that Southern Egyptian looks no different than Most Ethiopians Eritreans.

The Beja & the Nubians look no different than Ethiopians Eritreans Somalians sudanese.

Children of Egypt
Beja
Nubian
Eritrean
Ethiopian
Somalian
Sudanese
Fellahin Saeedi

--------------------
Hikuptah Al-Masri

Posts: 526 | From: Aswan Egypt | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^As far as "Children of Egypt" goes, the Fellahin Saeedi should be at the top of the list because they are the direct descendants of Pharaonic Egypt with the least admixture. Although believe it or not there are Fellahin Baladi (northern/Delta) who are not that affected by foreign mixture also and still retain their African looks. So really Fellahin in general should be number 1, followed by the Beja who closer in relation and speak an Afrasian language closest to Egyptian, followed by the Nubians who have shared the Nile Valley.

The others I would not consider 'Children of Egypt' since they are all from the Horn but more like 'Brothers of Egypt'.

But I get your point.

But for humor:

Egyptian..........................Somali
 -  -
Nefertiti............................Iman

Posts: 26238 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hikuptah
Member # 11131

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hikuptah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Djhetui i actually had it in no order but since u put it that way then i would have to say that u are wrong.

Djhetui i would have to say that the Beja & Nubians resemble the Ancient egyptians more than the Fellahin Saeedi u can look at bones look how hte Nubians & Beja are built then look at a Saeedi u can see the difference.

--------------------
Hikuptah Al-Masri

Posts: 526 | From: Aswan Egypt | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yom
Member # 11256

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See the Beja thread that I just bumped for one example.

--------------------
"Oh the sons of Ethiopia; observe with care; the country called Ethiopia is, first, your mother; second, your throne; third, your wife; fourth, your child; fifth, your grave." - Ras Alula Aba Nega.

Posts: 1024 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hikuptah:

Djhetui i actually had it in no order but since u put it that way then i would have to say that u are wrong.

Djhetui i would have to say that the Beja & Nubians resemble the Ancient egyptians more than the Fellahin Saeedi u can look at bones look how hte Nubians & Beja are built then look at a Saeedi u can see the difference.

Exactly what do you mean?? [Confused]
Yom
Member # 11256

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
^As far as "Children of Egypt" goes, the Fellahin Saeedi should be at the top of the list because they are the direct descendants of Pharaonic Egypt with the least admixture. Although believe it or not there are Fellahin Baladi (northern/Delta) who are not that affected by foreign mixture also and still retain their African looks.

Do you mean "Bahari" (i.e. "coastal")? "Baladi" simply means "of the country," similar to the meaning of Fellahin.
Posts: 1024 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that is what Djehuti means but speaking of different sub-groups in Egypt Bahari,Sa3eedi,fellahin,and baladi mean different things. Usually in most Arabic speaking countries ''baladi'' would mean just a person native to that country but in Egypt it is used by city dwellers to refer to rural people who have migrated into the big cities.

Bahary usually reffers to a northern Egyptian as opposed to a Saeedi which refers to a southern Egyptian.

When people refer to fellaheen in Egypt they usually mean those people in the Delta but not really the ones in Middle or southern Egypt. Although, most Saeedi can be seen as Fellaheen because of their profession.

What makes things even complicated that most Westeners don't know is you have people living in Middle Egypt divided up between ashraf,Arabs and just Fellaheen. Mostly areas like Asyut to Qena have these divisions.

The history of rural Egypt is just as fasinating and complex as that of the urban areas of Cairo. Only difference is the histories in rural Egypt are more word of mouth than written.

Plus since the 30's- 70's groups mainly from the Delta and Middle Egypt[locally known as almost Saeed] have migrated to places like Alexandria and Cairo. Most of these groups brought their villages with them living in places that began to be named 'shaabi' or 'baladi' areas.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Obelisk_18
Member # 11966

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Obelisk_18     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a little piece from the VERY OBJECTIVE Larry Orcutt regarding the affinities of the Dynastic Egyptians:

"The Egyptians are better classified using evidence of their language and their material cultures, historical records, and their physical remains because so-called "racial" identification has been elusive, much for the reasons cited above. Skulls have been measured and compared and DNA tests attempted in various forms, but conclusions are few. Skulls are more similar to those found in the Northern Sudan and less similar to those found in West Africa, Palestine, and Turkey" So, I guess they looked most like the Beja, then.

P.S. Damn Iman's fine....

Posts: 447 | From: Somewhere son... | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well in that case, I mean both Baladi and Bohari who are rural.

As to Obelisk's response, of course Northern Sudanese are black and are much closer to West Africans overall both in cranio-physiognomy and in genetics to peoples of Turkey.

But anyway, you are correct you can't run from the truth for long. [Wink]

Hikuptah
Member # 11131

Member Rated:
Djehuti what i was trying to say is that Fellahin Egyptians Nubians Beja dont look no different than the people of the Horn.

If Beja are identical to ancient egyptians than u would have to add Eritrea Ethiopia & Sudan because they Beja live in both of those countries and dont look no different from the NorthEast African population.

--------------------
Hikuptah Al-Masri

Obelisk_18
Member # 11966

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Obelisk_18     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:

As to Obelisk's response, of course Northern Sudanese are black .

Um, did I say the northern sudanese weren't black? My basic thesis (and Larry Orcutt's as well) is that the ancient egyptians' best represnatives are the sudanic people, like the BEJA. Keita says the same thing in his study "Comments on Studies of Ancient Egyptian biological relationships"

quote:

and are much closer to West Africans overall both in cranio-physiognomy and in genetics to peoples of Turkey.

Huh? don't you mean "than to the people of Turkey"?

quote:
But anyway, you are correct you can't run from the truth for long. [Wink]
Yep, just like a man can't run away from sex...if it's chasing ya, it's gonna get ya eventually [Wink] .

[ 14. November 2006, 10:34 PM: Message edited by: Horus_Den_1 ]

Posts: 447 | From: Somewhere son... | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hafun626
Member # 12381

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hafun626     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very interesting, if indeed what you say above is true, why then do we have some of the archeologist or historian in disagreement?
Posts: 3 | From: Australia | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ancient Egyptians slept on pillows made of stone. That's actually what caused many of their deaths....
pillow fights....

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Prince_of_punt
Member # 9845

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Prince_of_punt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its simple ancient Egyptians looked like modern day Somalis!

ps (I bet thats gonna get some peeps responding in funny ways lol)

--------------------
Hello!

Posts: 265 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^Speaking of which...

quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:

Ancient Egyptians slept on pillows made of stone. That's actually what caused many of their deaths....
pillow fights....

Actually, many Egyptians slept on headrests like these:

-

-

-

-

Somali headrests:

-

-

Oromo headrest:

-

Afar headrest:

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=Afar+headrest

Obelisk_18
Member # 11966

Rate Member
He was being funny djehuti, don't you have a sense of humor babe [Wink] ?
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^Of course! Which is why I made the last post. [Wink]
Evergreen
Member # 12192

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Evergreen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hafun626:
Hi i just wanted to know which group of people the ancient Egyptians resemble today?.

Evergreen Writes:

The Ancient Egyptians were a melting pot of Ancient African peoples. Hence, Ancient Egyptians resembled different people in different parts of Egypt. In some parts of AE there were populations that had a greater resemblance to modern Khoisan peoples. In other areas we would see people that had a greater resemblance to Somali's and other modern Horn of Africa peoples. In other areas we would see people who looked more like Nilo-Saharan speaking people such as the Maasi or the Teda people of southern Libya. We would also see people that resemble modern Central Africans. There were also SW Asians who were diverse, probably similar to modern Southern Egyptians. Over time these disparte populations mixed creating different trends in different parts of Egypt. This diversity was accentuated by immigration from Eurasia, Central Africa and the Sudan over the dynastic period.

Posts: 2007 | From: Washington State | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yom
Member # 11256

Member Rated:
Djehuti: I didn't know Egyptians slept on headrests. You can find those type all throughout Ethiopia.
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^Well now you know. Surprised? [Wink]
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But didn't those coffuire protecting headrests have some
kind of cushioning between them and the sleeper's head?

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^I don't think so. Also, it is known that they also served a more spiritual purpose, for Egyptlogists have discovered that the Egyptians believed sleeping on such headrests protected the sleeper from snakes and scorpions-- a belief shared by many nomads in the African Horn.

Myra has that book on Somalis, so she might be able to post some more pics.

Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In addition to the headrests, there are many Tuaregs who also sleep on the low wooden beds found in ancient Egypt. Also there are some desert nomads who dress in the white garb often depicted in ancient monuments. I will try and look up some pics later....
Posts: 8889 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^Yes, I know the white linen dresses that you speak of. They are worn by many northeast African nomads from the Beja through various Ethiopians and Somalis.

Bisharin (Beja)
 -

Somali
 -

Egyptian
 -
 -

Prince_of_punt
Member # 9845

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Prince_of_punt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Obelisk_18:
He was being funny djehuti, don't you have a sense of humor babe [Wink] ?

Why you calling Djehuti babe?

Djehuti are you female? [Confused]

Because if you are I was under the impression you were male.

Either that or Obelisk is female.

Posts: 265 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tee85
Member # 10823

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tee85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think he's trying to sexually harrass Djehuti becuz he's knows Djehuti doesn't like to be called "Babe".
Posts: 290 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Africa
Member # 12142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Africa         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Obelisk...why do you use that user name?
plan2replan Copyright © 2006 Africa

Posts: 711 | From: Africa | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myra Wysinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Headrest History:

"The oldest known headrests of Africa are from ancient Egypt. They first seem to appear around the time of the Second or Third Dynasty of the Old Kingdom, that is, around 2600 B.C." (Petrie, 1927:33).

For early sub-Saharan headrests, Flinders Petrie, the noted Egyptologist, who is famously known as "The Father of Prehistory", asserts in his book Objects of Daily Use. London: British School of Archaeology in Egypt, 1927, p. 36: "There seem to have been two introductions of the idea into Egypt, one in the Second-Third Dynasties, another in the Seventeenth-Eighteenth Dynasties. In the latter, there is no question of strong African influence; and by the portrait of Zeser [Pharaoh Djoser], the Third Dynasty, has been supposed to be of southern origin. It may be that the head rest, so characteristic of Africa at present, was twice introduced into Egypt from African sources, coming first with the fluted columns of the step pyramid age."

Posts: 1549 | From: California, USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myra Wysinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Use and Meaning:

Headrest are so often described as being used to support or protect the elaborate coiffures (hairstyles) that the statement has become a trusim. Too often downplayed is the purpose of these coiffures and why they need protection. Of course there is the common urge to adorn and beautify, and the days of labor invested in constructing are reason in themselves to protect the hair with a headrest while sleeping. However there is reason which is often glossed over or ignored. Coiffures frequently declare their owner's age, gender, rank or status, and are often embellished and/or empowered by accoutrements and charms of a magico-religious nature. They then become sign, symbols and potent empowering devices that must be protected.

Text Reference:

Sleeping Beauties, The Jerome L. Joss Collectiion of African Headrests at UCLA, by William J. Dewey, University of California, Los Angeles, 1993

Coiffures (hairstyles)

-
Natives of Ugogo, east central Africa Gogo
Source Title: Illustrated London news.
Publisher: London : Illustrated London News and Sketch Ltd., 1842

-

Woman with coiffure in the form of a crest with ornaments and comb.

Igbo, Nigeria, West Africa
Photo: Afrika Museum, Berg en Dal.

A coiffure is perfected by various decorations: cowries, beads, mother-of-pearl buttons, medals, pieces of silver, amber balls, metal rings, and pins of wood, bone or ivory. In the West African Sahel, the Fulbe and Peul (Fulani) cultivate impressive hairstyles.

For purposes to do with magic, a man or woman may also attach amulets to certain hairdos. The more elaborate coiffure includes braids, crests, curls, cascades, chignons, and vertical cornrows.

Great Hair Days in Ancient Egypt

-

Posts: 1549 | From: California, USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by alTakruri:
But didn't those coffuire protecting headrests have some
kind of cushioning between them and the sleeper's head?

Tutankhamun's Stained Ivory Headrest

-

While usually shown without any cushion to soften the hard surface on which the head lies, some headrests have been found that still have soft cloth wrapped around them.

Bes was a household god who was often depicted as a lion, as on the jar in the form of a standing lion. He was also a protective deity, and in this role he would safeguard the deceased against enemies with a ferocious growl.

Obelisk_18
Member # 11966

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Myra Wysinger:
Headrest History:

"The oldest known headrests of Africa are from ancient Egypt. They first seem to appear around the time of the Second or Third Dynasty of the Old Kingdom, that is, around 2600 B.C." (Petrie, 1927:33).

For early sub-Saharan headrests, Flinders Petrie, the noted Egyptologist, who is famously known as "The Father of Prehistory", asserts in his book Objects of Daily Use. London: British School of Archaeology in Egypt, 1927, p. 36: "There seem to have been two introductions of the idea into Egypt, one in the Second-Third Dynasties, another in the Seventeenth-Eighteenth Dynasties. In the latter, there is no question of strong African influence; and by the portrait of Zeser [Pharaoh Djoser], the Third Dynasty, has been supposed to be of southern origin. It may be that the head rest, so characteristic of Africa at present, was twice introduced into Egypt from African sources, coming first with the fluted columns of the step pyramid age."

See kids, even Petrie, the creator of the infamous Dynastic Race theory, admitted the africanness of ancient egypt, for example in the um, headrests.
Pax Dahomensis
Member # 9851

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pax Dahomensis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

You won't see it wholly from this pic but this Egyptian I met on Djoser's complex literally looked like a carbon copy of 18th dynasty royals.

Also I wanted to say that I've met four Horn Africans in Egypt and that they were quite distinct from Egyptians as I guessed where they were from (Somalia and Ethiopia).

Posts: 203 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yom
Member # 11256

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Pax Dahomensis:
 -

You won't see it wholly from this pic but this Egyptian I met on Djoser's complex literally looked like a carbon copy of 18th dynasty royals.

Also I wanted to say that I've met four Horn Africans in Egypt and that they were quite distinct from Egyptians as I guessed where they were from (Somalia and Ethiopia).

The original question was about ancient Egyptians, not modern ones. Horn Africans don't look very much like Northern Egyptians (more like Upper Egyptians and Nubians), though there are a few dark Baharis.
Pax Dahomensis
Member # 9851

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pax Dahomensis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^
I have spent more time in Upper Egypt than in Lower Egypt actually. I have seen many Upper Egyptian in Cairo as well, but I was still able to distinguish them from Horn Africans. Some Saeedi look like Horn Africans like the one below, but many don't IMO:
 -

Posts: 203 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Pax, most Saeedi I will agree probably resemble medium to light skinned African Americans more than people from the Horn of Africa. Lots also resemble many multi-ethnic people. This also depends which part of Sa3eed you go to because lots of Sa3eedi in places like Minya and Asyut are lighter than ones in Luxor-Aswan.

Although this region has been more isolated you still have some mixture from outsiders that occured both in dyanstic and post-dyanstic Egypt.

Places like Minya,Asyut and Sohag have had foreign settlement in some villages as late as the 1800's. Both from bedouin and Moroccan Berbers.

I wrote a post on this somewhere in the archives.

Hikuptah
Member # 11131

Member Rated:
Ausar most Saeedi resemble medium to light skinned African-Americans rather than horn of africans are u kidding me African-Americans resemble West Africans completely most horn of africans u find are even much lighter than Saeedis.

So Ausar there are no Medium to Light skinned Horn of AFricans there are more people who look like SAeedis in Ethiopia alone than the whole AFrican American People as a Whole.

One More thing Djehuti that Picture u have of those Beja are not Beja.

--------------------
Hikuptah Al-Masri

Hikuptah
Member # 11131

Member Rated:
Pax Dahomensis Saeedi Egyptians do not look like Beja nor do they look like Nubians so how can they look like Horn of Africans.

The Beja & the Nubians look more like Horn of Africans than they do to SAeedi or any modern DAy Egyptian.

But Saeedi Egyptians look more African than they look Arab.

One question to Pax Dahomensis so when u were in Egypt do Saeedis look like Beja & Nubians.

--------------------
Hikuptah Al-Masri

Evergreen
Member # 12192

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Evergreen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hikuptah:
Ausar most Saeedi resemble medium to light skinned African-Americans rather than horn of africans are u kidding me African-Americans resemble West Africans...

Evergreen Writes:

You seem to have a stereotype about what African-Americans (AA) and West Africans look like. First of all AA come from various regions in Africa, not just West Africa. Based upon the time frame they came, the trader who brought them and the reason they were brought Africans would have come from various parts of the continent. In West Africa we see diverse phenotypes such as Tuareg, Ibo, Fulani, etc. There is no set West African look.

Posts: 2007 | From: Washington State | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
quote:
Ausar most Saeedi resemble medium to light skinned African-Americans rather than horn of africans are u kidding me African-Americans resemble West Africans completely most horn of africans u find are even much lighter than Saeedis.

So Ausar there are no Medium to Light skinned Horn of AFricans there are more people who look like SAeedis in Ethiopia alone than the whole AFrican American People as a Whole.

One More thing Djehuti that Picture u have of those Beja are not Beja

Read my post to what I said. Also please use the QUOTE]put text here[/QUOTE]

when you quote me because its confusing.
When I say Sa3eedi resemble light to medium African Americans is because they typically don't have as narrow noses that a Somali,Ethiopian or a Beja. Sure there are people that do but not uniformally.

The ones that don't look like lighter skinned African Americans will typically resemble a multi-ethnic person from Brazil,Puerto Rico,Dominican Republic. Of course these populations are diverse themselves and all have African ancestry with some exceptions.

An African American that looks like this:

-

He could put on a galabeya and pass for somebody around Luxor-Aswan. Trust me I know. A former poster that happened to be African American went to Luxor area and got mistaken for the local people and even in Cairo.

African-Americans are diverse themselves and range in color and phenotype.

Nubians are fairly diverse themselves and let me give you an example:

-

__that guy is a Nubian from Aswan He is very famous in Egypt and loved by all Egyptians

-

Evergreen
Member # 12192

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:
[QUOTE]when you quote me because its confusing.
When I say Sa3eedi resemble light to medium African Americans is because they typically don't have as narrow noses that a Somali,Ethiopian or a Beja. Sure there are people that do but not uniformally.

Evergreen Writes:

This is a good point Ausar. The evidence indicates that the AE were a mixture of various peoples within Africa, not just from the Horn of Africa. There was a predominant strand from the Horn, but there was also a strong Nilo-Saharan strand with links streching through Darfur and into the Lake Chad region. Likewise there were West Asians who had a early Holocene Horn of Africa background.

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Thought, that is what I got from reading Dr. Fekri Hassan and Dr. Keita. The Nile Valley never had a uniform African phenotype.
Evergreen
Member # 12192

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:
Thought, that is what I got from reading Dr. Fekri Hassan and Dr. Keita. The Nile Valley never had a uniform African phenotype.

Evergreen Writes:

Absolutely right!

Supercar
Member # 6477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Supercar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can this ruler fit in with locals of anywhere in East Africa, central, west Africa, or south Africa?

-

Indeed, it is not surprising that crania of predynastic Egyptians and the dynastic ones, resembled those of many "interior" African groups. It was a melting pot of Saharo-tropical Africans. Recalling...

Keita and Boyce, on the peopling of the Nile Valley:

“Archeological data, or the absence of it, have been interpreted as suggesting a population hiatus in the settlement of the Nile Valley between Epipaleolithic and the Neolithic/predynastic, but this apparent lack could be due to material now being covered over by the Nile (see Connor and Marks 1986, Midant-Reynes 2000, for a discussion). Analogous to events in the Atacama Desert in Chile (Nunez et al. 2002), a moister more inhabitable eastern Sahara gained more human population in the late Pleistocene-early Holocene (Wendorf and Schild 1980, Hassan 1988, Wndorf and Schild 2001). If the hiatus was real then perhaps many Nile populations became Saharan.

Later, stimulated by mid-Holocene droughts, migration from the Sahara contributed population to the Nile Valley (Hassan 1988, Kobusiewicz 1992, Wendorf and Schild 1980, 2001); the predynastic of upper Egypt and later Neolithic in lower Egypt show clear Saharan affinities. A striking increase e of pastoralists’ hearths are found in the Nile valley dating to between 5000-4000 BCE (Hassan 1988). Saharan Nilo-Saharan speakers may have been initial domesticators of African cattle found in the Sahara (see Ehret 2000, Wendorf et. Al. 1987). Hence there was a Saharan “Neolithic” with evidence for domesticated cattle before they appear in the Nile valley (Wendorf et al. 2001). If modern data can be used, there is no reason to think that the **peoples drawn into the Sahara** in the earlier periods were **likely to have been biologically or linguistically uniform.**

…A dynamic diachronic interaction consisting of the fusion, fissioning, and perhaps “extinction” of populations, with a decrease in overall numbers as the environment eroded, can easily be envisioned in the heterogenous landscape of the eastern Saharan expanse, with its oases and Wadis, that formed a reticulated pattern of habitats. This fragile and changing region with the Nile Valley in the early to mid-Holocene can be further envisioned as holding a population whose subdivisions maintained some distinctiveness, but did exchange genes. Groups would have been distributed in settlements based on resources, but likely had contacts based on artifact variation (Wendorf and Schild 2001). Similar pottery can be found over extensive areas. Transhumance between the Nile valley and the Sahara would have provided east-west contact, even before the later migration largely emptied parts of the eastern Sahara.

Early speakers of Nilo-Saharan and Afroasiatic apparently interacted based on the evidence of loan words (Ehret, personal communication). Nilo-Saharan’s current range is roughly congruent with the so-called Saharo-Sudanese or Aqualithic culture associated with the less arid period (Wendorf and Schild 1980), and therefore cannot be seen as intrusive. Its speakers are found from the Nile to the Niger rivers in the Sahara and Sahel, and south into Kenya. The eastern Sahara was likely a micro--evolutionary processor and pump of populations, who may have developed various specific sociocultural (and linguistic) identities, but were genealogically “mixed” in terms of origins.

These identities may have further crystallized on the Nile, or fused with those of resident populations that were already differentiated. The **genetic profile of the Nile Valley via the fusion of the Saharans and the indigenous peoples were likely established in the main **long before the Middle Kingdomp**

…Hoffman (1982) noted cattle burials in Hierakonpolis, the most important of predynastic upper Egyptian cities in the later predynastic. This custom might reflect Nubian cultural impact, a common cultural background, or the presence of Nubians.

There was some cultural and economic bases for all levels of social intercourse, as well as geographical proximity. There was some shared iconography in the kingdoms that emerged in Nubia and upper Egypt around 3300 BCE (Williams 1986). Although disputed, there is evidence that Nubia may have even militarily engaged upper Egypt before Dynasty I, and contributed leadership in the unification of Egypt (Williams 1986). The point of reviewing these data is to illustrate that evidence suggests a basis for social interaction, and gene exchange.

Posts: 5964 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Prince_of_punt
Member # 9845

Member Rated:
It has already been discussed here numerous times that Ancient Egyptians were different to modern Egyptians.

In my opinion Ancient Egyptians predominantly were from the horn and very much resembled modern day Horn Africans. Whereas modern day Egptians may look very different due to the influx of foriegn genes. Remembers that it is not only West Africans that have broad features but many Arabs and turks also have this.

-

This map shows that there is hardly any E3a amongst Egyptians but better yet a higher percentage of E3b from the horn. Surely if they were a mixed melting pot modern Egyptians would have high amounts of E3a!

--------------------
Hello!

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Most of the samples in that study,Prince of Punt, are from Cairo. Most of the Arabs and Turks in Egypt went into Cairo and the Delta. Most of the broad Egyptians are southern Egyptians that have only negligable ancestry from Arabs. E3a is not rare in Upper Egypt and neither is markers like L2. BTW, most of the Turks were Cricassian[mamelukes] that were white skinned.

Most of the pre-dyanstic came from the Sahara which probably had both broad and narrow Africans. The Sahara is closer to Egypt than the Horn so it does not suprise me that such people would predominate.

Prince_of_punt
Member # 9845

Member Rated:
Thanks for the clear up Ausur

But as for the modern Egyptians who resemble people from the Sahara, its just common sense as you highlight. But weren't the Ancient Egyptians different to the nubians in stock, yes there was intermixing but it happens with all neighbouring peoples.

I say this because When the sahara is taken into account, aren't the people which are said to be the closest to representing the Ancient Egyptians their the Beja, and not for example a nilo saharan or arab mixed nubian group?

--------------------
Hello!

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com