EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » OT: Cleopatra Movie to be Made (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: OT: Cleopatra Movie to be Made
King_Scorpion
Member # 4818

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for King_Scorpion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Comingsoon.com

Just another excuse to make a historical movie based around white people. You know, I'm not trying to sound bitter or racist...but it's the truth! Why must Hollywood continue to romanticize the same damn stories over and over?!? Ancient Egypt was around for over 3,000 years...you can't get creative and think up something else? You can do a movie about Kamose and Ahmose expelling the Hyksos. There's that Nefertiti movie that there has been no update of. The list goes on...but no, they have to do a story everybody already knows and has been told to death.

Posts: 1219 | From: North Carolina, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evergreen
Member # 12192

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Evergreen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by King_Scorpion:
Just another excuse to make a historical a based around white people.

Evergreen Writes:

It is our responsibility to tell our story. I have an undergraduate degree in screen writing and I focus on writing historical pieces. One of my life goals is to get one of these scripts produced.

Posts: 2007 | From: Washington State | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ARROW99
Member # 11614

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ARROW99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
King, For a person who doesn't want to sound racist you sound very racist. It may be that the film makers know the public is interested in Cleopatra and they can sell a film about her.
They could care less about history or what you or I might think about it. In fact, they are not historians, they are film makers.
It is not the job of others to promote our particular world view, be it yours, mine, or anyone else.

Posts: 904 | From: Texana | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ It's Hollywood films that are racist and that pander to the racist vanities of white people.

King is correct.

Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ARROW99
Member # 11614

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ARROW99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Black American are the most racist people in the world. They grow up obsessed with the topic and talk about it all of the time. They see racism under every rock and use it as an excuse for their own failures.
the ones that do very well in American society are the ones who 'get it' and understand that the average person could care less what color they are.

Posts: 904 | From: Texana | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evergreen
Member # 12192

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Evergreen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rasol:
^ It's Hollywood films that are racist and that pander to the racist vanities of white people.

King is correct.

Evergreen Writes:

I agree, but this is a subjective matter. Please elaborate.

Posts: 2007 | From: Washington State | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King_Scorpion
Member # 4818

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for King_Scorpion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ARROW99:
King, For a person who doesn't want to sound racist you sound very racist. It may be that the film makers know the public is interested in Cleopatra and they can sell a film about her.
They could care less about history or what you or I might think about it. In fact, they are not historians, they are film makers.
It is not the job of others to promote our particular world view, be it yours, mine, or anyone else.

I'm not being racist. Listen, everybody knows Hollywood puts more of an emphasis on European-centered history than anybody elses. It could be because the vast majority of the people making these films are white themselves...maybe some black filmmakers need to stop making movies about hustlers and pimps and need to make something about medieval or ancient Black history. But this exposes another problem that maybe those said Black filmmakers may not even be aware of it themselves!! But there are a few influential Black filmmakers like Spike Lee, etc that SHOULD know.

I was watching an interview with Dave Chappelle where they were asking him about some show and he said he wanted to have a black girl play one particular role and he said the studio denied saying they wanted someone more "universally appealing." Now, Hollywood has changed a lot over the years now doubt. I'm not saying it's racist anymore, but at the end of the day it's still run like a business. And sometimes (most of the time), they sacrifice creativity for market appeal and demographic appeal. I find Mel Gibson's new movie Apocalypto to be very refreshing seeing as how it's not euro-centered (which again, I'm not saying is bad...but I'd like to see something different every once in a while).

Posts: 1219 | From: North Carolina, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arwa
Member # 11172

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arwa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone said Dave Chappelle?

This is my favourite clip.
CHAPPELE SHOW-BLACK KKK
http://tinyurl.com/y4er6c

Posts: 2198 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ARROW99
Member # 11614

Rate Member
maybe more black people should buy tickets and it might change. Most people are VERY WEARY of racial complaints.
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I'm not being racist. Listen, everybody knows Hollywood puts more of an emphasis on European-centered history than anybody elses. It could be because the vast majority of the people making these films are white themselves...maybe some black filmmakers need to stop making movies about hustlers and pimps and need to make something about medieval or ancient Black history. But this exposes another problem that maybe those said Black filmmakers may not even be aware of it themselves!! But there are a few influential Black filmmakers like Spike Lee, etc that SHOULD know.

I was watching an interview with Dave Chappelle where they were asking him about some show and he said he wanted to have a black girl play one particular role and he said the studio denied saying they wanted someone more "universally appealing." Now, Hollywood has changed a lot over the years now doubt. I'm not saying it's racist anymore, but at the end of the day it's still run like a business. And sometimes (most of the time), they sacrifice creativity for market appeal and demographic appeal. I find Mel Gibson's new movie Apocalypto to be very refreshing seeing as how it's not euro-centered (which again, I'm not saying is bad...but I'd like to see something different every once in a while).

I totally agree with everything you said, King Scorpion! However, Arrow is right about one thing, and that Hollywood is a business whose profit is based on popular (mainstream) public appeal.

Of course most white Americans are not that racist where they would have no interest in non-European based historical movies. On the contrary, I believe they would be just as interested if not more so since most of them know little about non-Western related history. Mel Gibson is doing a good job at that with his new movie (despite his anti-Jewish views).

[Embarrassed] As for Arrow, YOU of all people can't be talking about who is the most racist people on earth and who has "racial complaints" considering your absurd claims of ancient Egyptians' skin color as well as your hilarious theory on prehistoric Central Asian kacazoids who wandered into the Sahara to start Egyptian civilization! LOL [Big Grin]

Posts: 26241 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King_Scorpion
Member # 4818

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for King_Scorpion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I totally agree with everything you said, King Scorpion! However, Arrow is right about one thing, and that Hollywood is a business whose profit is based on popular (mainstream) public appeal.
I know. I was saying the same thing.
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Arrow, whether you LIKE it or NOT, racism exists even though it is not as bad as it used to be. King's point was that Cleopatra was NOT the greatest Queen of Egypt. If you want to talk about racism and ethnocentrism, lets start there. Cleopatra wasnt even REALLY Egyptian at all. On top of that, she was a COLONIAL ruler of TRUE native Egyptians. So all that huff and puff about racism is more of a SMOKESCREEN to divert attention from the fact that the TRUE great Queens of Egypt are NEVER shown in the movies. Why? Why arent Africans who hailed from the SOUTHERN areas of Egypt, shown as fighting for freedom AGAINST white invaders? Cleopatra and the Ptolemies were INVADERS, they were NOT heroes and the Egyptians only TOLERATED them because they had no choice. Therefore, if someone TRULY wanted to see a movie about a GREAT Queen of Egypt, why not choose Hatshepsut, Tiye, Ahmose Nefertari, Nefertari or even Nefertiti? Seems to me, it is very LOGICAL to ask why WESTERN countries seem to be fixated on "heroes" who are COLONIZERS and OCCUPIERS in African lands. And to say that someone is RACIST because they would rather see Africans as FREE from foreign oppression and as victorious OVER white OPPRESSORS is a statement of NONSENSE.

Africans in Egypt DID CONTINUALLY fight against WHITE invaders. Africans DID NOT look at white invaders as "HEROES" and certainly not the Greeks or Romans. In fact, the only reason for being "happy" about the invasion by Greeks is because it got rid of the Persians. However, this does not CHANGE the fact that ancient Egypt was ruled by NATIVE kings and queens who were TRUE heroes of Egypt and the population. The Greco Roman "hero" of Cleopatra is not even in the same category compared to those TRUE heroes of ancient Egypt and is nothing more than a glorified "colony swap" from one European colonial power to another. NO African should view colonial rulers, either now or in the past as "heroes", no matter HOW you try and spin it.

Posts: 8890 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ [Embarrassed] Doug, you know very well that it's because Arrow is racist himself. All his ranting about blacks being racist is his own psychological projection. [Wink]
Posts: 26241 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ARROW99
Member # 11614

Rate Member
Lets hope not Doug but there are no colonial powers in the world now. Colonialism was a product of the 19th and 20th centuries. We now live in a global economy in which colonialism would not work.
As for being a racist, thats comical. Blacks are the most racist people on the planet. Most people do not give it a second thought.

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Lets hope not Doug but there are no colonial powers in the world now. Colonialism was a product of the 19th and 20th centuries. We now live in a global economy in which colonialism would not work.

That is not entirely true, as now the more powerful nations are using the new global economy for an imperial economy. Same situation for 'developing' nations but under a new method.

quote:
As for being a racist, thats comical. Blacks are the most racist people on the planet. Most people do not give it a second thought.
[Embarrassed] Really? Last time I checked, blacks don't form hate groups and attack others based on their 'race'. Blacks in Africa do not attack and kill white foreigners visiting their countries as whites in Europe have been doing to blacks and other people of color visiting their countries. And blacks do not come up with such ridiculous theories in a "Mediterranean race" or that wander Kacazoids somehow made their way into the central Sahara to start civilization in Egypt. [Roll Eyes]
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

How about something RELEVANT to the discussion of "BLACKS" being RACIST? How do you define "BLACKS" and how do you define RACISM? And, better yet, how does ANY of this have to do with the FACT that Cleopatra was NOT a NATIVE Queen of Egypt and that giving Egypt to the Romans was NOT a victory for Egypt, therefore, NOT making Cleopatra any sort of "HERO" in Egyptian history. Unless you suggest that prostituting yourself to Roman rule is a sign of "power" and dignity.......
Posts: 8890 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ARROW99
Member # 11614

Rate Member
Cleopatra was a hero of egyptian history in the minds of MOST people. You may not like that but its just a fact. If I asked the average person about Amenhotep III they would have no clue what I was talking about and they would chnage the subject if I tried to tell them.
King_Scorpion
Member # 4818

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for King_Scorpion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Cleopatra was a hero of egyptian history in the minds of MOST people. You may not like that but its just a fact. If I asked the average person about Amenhotep III they would have no clue what I was talking about and they would chnage the subject if I tried to tell them.

Cleopatra is romanticized for a number of reasons, but most importantly...if you go back to the Cleopatra movie some decades ago...it was easy to cast white actors for a mostly white ruling class (ie. the Ptolemies). It became a convient story too because of the love affair she had with Marc Antony and Octvian. Point is, most people could only tell you of two or three Ancient Egyptian rulers...

1. Cleopatra - because there has already been a movie about her,
2. King Tut - Tut is only known because of all the treasure that was found in his burial chamber...and the archeologists that died.
3. Ramses the Great - The Bible, connection with Moses

Other than that...some people MAY know about Seti I, Neferiti, and some others, but the ones above are the main ones people know about. If a movie was made about Kamose expelling the Hyksos...people would know a lot about him too.

My point is, Cleopatra isn't widely known because she was important...but because she has been romanticized to death by western films and academia. That doesn't make her a hero.

tk101
Member # 12361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tk101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if thats true Arrow then its thats a shame that someone like here gave eygpt on a siver plater to rome...being a world power, i dont think egyptians at that time would have liked being ruled by romans...
Posts: 40 | From: Chicago | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ARROW99
Member # 11614

Rate Member
I doubt the average person on the street in ancient Egypt cared much about who ruled them .

King, I do agree with you but for a different reason. Rome is important in the west for all of the obvious reasons. Frankly, when you combing that with a good story you have the success of Cleopatra.
people like to see stories about Henry VIII killing his wives as well. They could care less about Edward the Confessor.

Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
quote:
I doubt the average person on the street in ancient Egypt cared much about who ruled them .

King, I do agree with you but for a different reason. Rome is important in the west for all of the obvious reasons. Frankly, when you combing that with a good story you have the success of Cleopatra.
people like to see stories about Henry VIII killing his wives as well. They could care less about Edward the Confessor.

So what? This isnt about what people on the street think. It is about FACTS. Cleopatra wasnt even an Egyptian. So she cannot be a "Egyptian" hero. She was Greek, represented a Greek dynasty and Greek blood and GREEK rulership of Egypt. Her "romance" with Rome only kept Egypt as the last semi-autonomous Greek colony in the Mediterranean, long after Greece had ceased to exist as a Great Empire. Therefore, NOTHING she did had ANYTHING to do with being a "Great" Egyptian.

Conversely, MOVIES dont care about whether she was Egyptian or not, they only care about what PEOPLE think and are willing to PAY MONEY for. Doesnt change the facts and doesnt make her a REAL Egyptian hero.

Period.

ARROW99
Member # 11614

Rate Member
Yeah, but people don't see it that way and in reality she was egyptian. Her family had ruled for a couple of centuries. I understand what you are saying but a good drama about Rome and cleopatra is something you can sell. Its a good story.
It would be nice if more people cared about history but such is not the case.

Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
quote:
Yeah, but people don't see it that way and in reality she was egyptian. Her family had ruled for a couple of centuries. I understand what you are saying but a good drama about Rome and cleopatra is something you can sell. Its a good story.

She was a GREEK Egyptian and did NOT represent an INDIGENOUS bloodline or CONNECTION to the ancient rulers of dynastic Egypt. So WHATEVER the people like and want to pay money for doesn't change the facts, good story, bad story or in between story. Facts are facts, fiction is fiction and Cleopatra is a romantisized European fantasy dressed in Egyptian clothing.
King_Scorpion
Member # 4818

Rate Member
quote:

Thing is though, you can make a drama based around MOST long gone empires. The Hyksos situation is VERY pivotal in AE history because it was the dawn of the New Kingdom and brought about the 18th Dynasty (one of the more successful and stronger Dynasties). This is not a hard story to tell for someone willing to do a little research. But the thing is, people get lazy. There have been more adaptations in the past 6 years in a LONG time. As successful as movies like Lord of the Rings are, it already came with a fan base. Peter Jackson didn't contribute anything to the story.

The fact that Hollywood continues to tell the same stories (ie. Cleopatra, etc) not only shows a lack of creativity or originality, but smells of laziness on the part of screenwriters who don't want to put forth an effort to bring anything new to the table. Or maybe they try, but can't get a studio to give it the greenlight (which is more likely).

Ru2religious
Member # 4547

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ru2religious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Evergreen:
quote:

Evergreen Writes:

It is our responsibility to tell our story. I have an undergraduate degree in screen writing and I focus on writing historical pieces. One of my life goals is to get one of these scripts produced.

What type of films are you looking at making or writing King_Scorpion??

Ahhh. ... this might be a good chance for you to do a little networking ...

Hit me up ...

UPDATE!!! ... I mean you said that you want to write historical pieces but are you trying to do docs... or theater?

Peace!~

Posts: 951 | From: where rules end and freedom begins | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King_Scorpion
Member # 4818

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by RU2religious:
quote:
Originally posted by Evergreen:
quote:

Evergreen Writes:

What type of films are you looking at making or writing King_Scorpion??

Ahhh. ... this might be a good chance for you to do a little networking ...

Hit me up ...

UPDATE!!! ... I mean you said that you want to write historical pieces but are you trying to do docs... or theater?

Peace!~

I'm PLANNING to transfer to a film school after next semester to major in screenwriting. And yes, when I do make it (because I know I will [Wink] )...I'm planning to TRY to make a movie about something dealing with ancient or medieval Black history. I'm still throwing some ideas around in my head though.
Ru2religious
Member # 4547

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ru2religious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ check your email.

Peace!~

Posts: 951 | From: where rules end and freedom begins | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the record, Cleopatra was the only one in her family (the Ptolemies) to actually fluently speak the Egyptian language and practice the Egyptian religion.

She maybe a foreign ruler, but she certainly did her best to represent the Egyptian culture.

Funny how the most famous Egyptian ruler could really be thought of as one of the early examples of whites emulating black culture! [Big Grin]

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By the way, here is an excellent book on the historiography of Cleopatra and the romantacism and sensationalism involved in the centuries of her portrayal:

Cleopatra : histories, dreams and distortions
by Lucy Hughes-Hallett

BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Funny how the most famous Egyptian ruler could really be thought of as one of the early examples of whites emulating black culture!
You mean she was a wigger?

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7069 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Israel
Member # 11221

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Israel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
maybe more black people should buy tickets and it might change. Most people are VERY WEARY of racial complaints.

Arrow,

no disrespect, but your ignorance is nauseating and, honestly it is starting to piss me off. Either you are a white boy, or someone that is very ignorant. If you were a Middle Eastern Muslim in America right now, you could totally vibe with King Scropion. You sound kinda like "Kramer" from Sinfield who made those stupid remarks some time ago.

Let me state the obvious: if you have gone through what my people have gone through for the past 400 years, then you have a right to state whatever you want. Otherwise, you ought to simply shut your mouth.

Tell me Arrow: DID BLACK AMERICANS INVENT RACISM????????? If not, then why are you mad at my people for being PISSED OFF that this s--t exists!!!!!!!!?

Bottom line: stop being ignorant. Read some stuff. I tell everybody, Black, white, whatever, read Malcolm's X's autobiography. That book is a classic. Let your father be murdered by the "Black Legion(an alternative KKK)", and then justify to me why Malcolm X shouldn't have been angry with the racism in America.

Peace be with you Arrow. I hope you wake up and smell the roses. Salaam

Posts: 826 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Israel
Member # 11221

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Israel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doug M:
quote:

She was a GREEK Egyptian and did NOT represent an INDIGENOUS bloodline or CONNECTION to the ancient rulers of dynastic Egypt. So WHATEVER the people like and want to pay money for doesn't change the facts, good story, bad story or in between story. Facts are facts, fiction is fiction and Cleopatra is a romantisized European fantasy dressed in Egyptian clothing.
Doug is right. Yet, some of the Greek dynasty was Black. I have seen some pics of the Ptolomies who were pretty much as Black looking as King Tut. But Doug is right, even though Cleo got down with the Egyptian culture, she really didn't represent Egypt, techinically speaking, because of her ancestry. Therefore, she might not have been white, but she probably wasn't Egyptian(i.e. more Black looking), know what I mean? Salaam
Posts: 826 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ARROW99
Member # 11614

Rate Member
Guess you are just going to have to be pissed off Israel. Its better to be pissed off than pissed on. Malcom X was a radical who did tremendous harm to black people in America.
Yonis
Member # 7684

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yonis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Posts: 1420 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not very sure about what I'm about to write
and really need as objective as possible further
input.

Was it the Ptolemys who introduced the colour
line? I mean didn't they actually segregate certain
cities barring native residence? That would've
been quite different than the natural trend for
ethnies to hole up in separate quarters of a
given city or town.

And I was under the impression that Cleo may not have
been 100% Greek in that her or her father's mother's
identity is unknown but assumed to be "native."

Also though it was ultimately for her own power Cleo
intended to keep Egypt free by her sexual manipulation
of both Ceasar and Antony (generals weilding the most
advanced military science of the time and
placing such at Cleo's disposal). It seems she
knew the "tender trap" would fail against Octavian
and so took the noble way out due to frustrated
design rather than love sickness.

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^Yup that sums is it up right there.

I know the popular 'afrocentric' theory is that Cleopatra may have had native ancestry. Although it is possible (through a concubine), I don't know how likely it is.

As you said Takruri, even the Ptolemies practiced methods of segregation during their colonial rule. In fact, the Ptolemy family was xenophobic enough not to marry outside their family, but "keep it in the family" so to speak. [Embarrassed]

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Underpants Man:

You mean she [Cleopatra] was a wigger?

Well I personally find that word to be silly but, yeah! Whatever you wanna call it. LOL
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
quote:

Guess you are just going to have to be pissed off Israel. Its better to be pissed off than pissed on...

[Embarrassed] Ironically the exact same philosophy that Malcolm X lived by and was the reason why many whites like you thought of him as being too "radical"!

quote:
..Malcom X was a radical who did tremendous harm to black people in America.
[Embarrassed] Apparently not as much harm as whites have done, hence the reason why Malcom X and other black militants rose up in the first place.
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wally   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This topic is one of the reasons I posted this:

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=004509

The Ancient Egyptians are 'worshipped' by White folks, are very popular as pop culture demonstrates;
a) count the amount of movies that deal with antiquity; how many are devoted to Ancient Egypt, as opposed to Ancient Rome (usually Christian themed.) or Ancient Greece - how many films have had as their local Sumer - Babylonia (I can only think of DW Griffiths' silent film "Intolerance"!

b) How many White folks who believe in re-incarnation claim that they were some queen or pharaoh in Ancient Egypt and rarely a re-newed Greek, Roman, Celtic, or any white folk from the past...

People re-create their gods in their own image, that's why Jesus the Christ looks Nordic in the West but African in, say, Nigeria.

It's more a natural condition than it is fostered by racism. The only problem with "white" Egyptians is that it robs Black folks of an important part of the Black heritage. This can't be allowed to continue...

Posts: 3344 | From: Berkeley | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Arrow,

no disrespect, but your ignorance is nauseating and, honestly it is starting to piss me off

lol israel, something about your style is funny
quote:
Either you are a white boy, or someone that is very ignorant.
[Roll Eyes]
quote:
originally posted by horemheb:
Guess you are just going to have to be pissed off Israel. Its better to be pissed off than pissed on.

lol, anyway hore, take israel's advise, stop absorbing PROPAGANDA, and read!

You, me amigo, have it twisted up. (and by the way, I get MY views from ACTUAL EXPERIENCE, and LEARNING on MY own, and NOT from being FED.)

I suggest you think outside the BOX also.

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yeah,
Doug:
quote:
How about something RELEVANT to the discussion of "BLACKS" being RACIST? How do you define "BLACKS" and how do you define RACISM? And, better yet, how does ANY of this have to do with the FACT that Cleopatra was NOT a NATIVE Queen of Egypt and that giving Egypt to the Romans was NOT a victory for Egypt, therefore, NOT making Cleopatra any sort of "HERO" in Egyptian history.
you question posed was already answered in a preceding post:
quote:
^ [Embarrassed] Doug, you know very well that it's because Arrow is racist himself. All his ranting about blacks being racist is his own psychological projection. [Wink]
It's psychological. Why else do trolls bring things up often when nobody was talking about it. They project it onto others [Wink] .

And Horemheb it's a funny thing that when you come around, the race topics buzz! [Wink] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ARROW99
Member # 11614

Rate Member
Frickin Shakespeare wrote about Cleopatra, its a good story. Its no more complicated than that.
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:

By the way, here is an excellent book on the historiography of Cleopatra and the romantacism and sensationalism involved in the centuries of her portrayal:

Cleopatra : histories, dreams and distortions
by Lucy Hughes-Hallett

The romantacism and sensationalism involved with Cleopatra + the Egyptomania that has ensued in the West is what this obsession is all about plain and simple.
ARROW99
Member # 11614

Rate Member
Interest in the Roman empire has had a good bit to do with it as well. Sometimes a story catches on and has a life of its own. The stroy has all the elements that people seek. Power, beauty, betrayl, danger,etc. Plus, in the end a beautiful women kills herself and the rest. Egypt also makes a great setting for a story like that.
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^You are aware, that most scholars now think that she didn't commit suicide but was murdered. And if by chance she did commit suicide it wasn't because of an asp, because her death was too quick.
Israel
Member # 11221

Member Rated:
quote:
Guess you are just going to have to be pissed off Israel. Its better to be pissed off than pissed on. Malcom X was a radical who did tremendous harm to black people in America.

Well, your colors are revealed. You are definitely a white boy! If there is nothing else I know about you, it is that your a white boy. Only an ignorant white boy would say that(let me just state to the other people here that when I say 'white boy', I am not necessarily talking about skin color as much as MENTALITY.....). NO BLACK PERSON IN THE WHOLE NORTH AMERICA WOULD SAY THAT MALCOLM X HARMED BLACK PEOPLE. Everybody, even his critics, would say he stood up for Black people. What an ignoramous...........

Why is it that you have problems with "racial complaints"? White people created racism, so why are you mad that Black people are calling it what it is? You are acting like Black people created the race problems in this country. Do you know how assinine that makes you look? I ain't pissed, because I know what I am dealing with.....I am dealing with an ignorant white boy, who may in fact be an undercover racist, just like Kramer.......lol. Salaam

Israel
Member # 11221

Member Rated:
BTW Arrow,

The Ancient Egyptians were Black........just in case you didn't know............LMAO! Salaam

BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wally:
Count the amount of movies that deal with antiquity; how many are devoted to Ancient Egypt, as opposed to Ancient Rome (usually Christian themed.) or Ancient Greece - how many films have had as their local Sumer - Babylonia (I can only think of DW Griffiths' silent film "Intolerance"!

Unfortunately, most movies on ancient Kemet focus on one of three themes:

1) Cleopatra
2) Bible stories
3) Supernatural weirdness

Usually the Kemites come across as evil or antagonistic in movies with the latter two themes and as extras in the first one.

Posts: 7069 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

BTW, I had to take issue with this:

quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
Really? Last time I checked, blacks don't form hate groups and attack others based on their 'race'. Blacks in Africa do not attack and kill white foreigners visiting their countries as whites in Europe have been doing to blacks and other people of color visiting their countries. And blacks do not come up with such ridiculous theories in a "Mediterranean race" or that wander Kacazoids somehow made their way into the central Sahara to start civilization in Egypt. [Roll Eyes]

Actually, there do exist "black supremacist" groups like the Nation of Islam and the Black Hebrew Israelites. I doubt they have the ability to do much harm though, considering their numbers. Ironically, many black racist organizations have made alliances with white racist organizations.

As for the black equivalent to Arrow99's "Asians settling in the Sahara to found Egyptian culture", have you forgotten our very own Clyde Winters? He believes some as-yet-undiscovered race of Africans started civilization in the Americas. You also have Marc Washington, who imagines Africans as far from Africa as Japan.

That said, these black racists don't have that much power and will probably never amount to anything beyond red herrings used by white racists to distract anti-racists from countering the bigger problem of white racism.

ARROW99
Member # 11614

Rate Member
i do not think racism is restricted to any particular group of people.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com