EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » comparing Egyptian to other Afroasiatic languages (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: comparing Egyptian to other Afroasiatic languages
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Keep in mind that when Western scholars first found out that the various Afrasian languages were related, they postulated the origins of the phylum to be in Western Asia concieved by kacazoids, with some of these k-zoids moving into Africa and becoming black (Hamites) hence the early name Hamito-Semitic. Now that the 'Hamitic hypothesis' has been debunked, and it's now realized the phylum actually originated in Africa, the name Afroasiatic or Afrasian is used merely to reflect the geographic range of these languages-- that they are spoken from Africa to Asia (Western Asia to be exact). This could perhaps be compared to the term Indo-European which describes the languages of that phylum to be spoken from India to Europe.
quote:
Originally posted by rasol:

This will seem odd, esp. from me and almost as a defense of Dr. Winters, though as always, it's just and honest observation.......

In a way, Winters simply mirrors the standard practice of much European scholarship - steady on the look out for 1 million ways of claiming ancient languages, cultures and civilisations as 'belonging' to them.

Consider some recent claims made in peer review scholarship by Europeans:

* footprints in the sahara which have arches instead of flat feet are labeled - leucoderm. [ie - white]

* Lineages M1 and U6 are claimed to be of non African origin even though there is no non African progenator lineage to be named, and no non African population who bears significant underived U6/M1 lineages.

* Nostracists who try to link virtually every attested [literate] language back to a putative proto-Indo-Aryan, using the same approach of arbitrarily chosen, selective word matchings.

* Redefinition of the root discourse of history so as to conflate or manufacture a role for Europe: Western Civilisation, the Middle East, the Mediterranean - none of these concepts exist in history. Rather they are recent ideologies - which profoundly alter the way in which history is preceived, and often specially function to create and imaginary European provenance.

Non African readers who find Winters outragious, should I think look in a mirror, or read a 'western' history book, because that's exactly how ridiculous the 'western' version of history often sounds.

I am very much aware of the psuedo-crap that white scholars spew, but it is just disappointing that Africanist scholars like Winters will not rise above that but unwittingly emulate the white racist they so desperately fight against!
Posts: 26388 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Solver
Member # 9033

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Solver         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rasol:

quote:
Originally posted by AFRICA I:

quote:
It is simply because it's a language family that transgresses 'racial' boundaries?
That sums up the root of the Afro-Asian language problem...the "Asian" part in that word is really minor linguistically speaking, it's just a cynical way to give too much importance to the group responsible for the "civilizing" (culturally and spiritually) of Europeans a.k.a the Semitic speaking people of Western Asia who happen to be similar in skin complexion as Europeans...even knowing modern Western Asian(Arabs and Israelis) they are more than happy by that "Asian" gift in "Afro-Asian languages" given to them for free by linguistic scientist...but it's totally stupid, since serious linguists know where that language originated from and where it is the most diverse....the number of Afrasian languages outside Africa is meaningless....I don't know why some scholars don't try to strip that "Asian" word ruse...
You're absolutely correct. Well said.
Ironically, it is a Euro Linguist who has already taken that direction: Ehret with 'Afrasan'!
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
am very much aware of the psuedo-crap that white scholars spew, but it is just disappointing that Africanist scholars like Winters will not rise above that but unwittingly emulate the white racist they so desperately fight against!
They are really helping keep racism alive, but they don't know it and can't see it.

Too bad.

Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Macawiis
Member # 11724

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Macawiis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
English....Japanese....Somali..

(Yes)......Hai.....Ha..

(Don't know)...Wakaranai.....Magaranaye..

(Giraffe)....Kirin.....Girrin

(Mother).....Hahaoya......Hooyo

(Gone)........Takai.....Tagay

(Silent).......Musei......Amuuse

Japanese people are undercover Black Africans

lol

Posts: 275 | From: .. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clyde Winters   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Djehuti
quote:

I am very much aware of the psuedo-crap that white scholars spew, but it is just disappointing that Africanist scholars like Winters will not rise above that but unwittingly emulate the white racist they so desperately fight against!

I am not an Africanist. I am an Afrocentric researcher.

--------------------
C. A. Winters

Posts: 13012 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AFRICA I
Member # 13222

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AFRICA I         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maca you should intervene more, you are funny...how is your Japanese girlfriend?
Posts: 919 | From: AFRICA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Clyde Winters:
I am not an Africanist. I am an Afrocentric researcher.

^ I agree.
Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Of course, not only Afrocentric but unfortunately one of the psuedo-nuts Afrocentrics white scholars enjoy being entertained by. Such people only hinder the work of real Afrocentric or Africanist scholars whatever you call it.
quote:
Originally posted by Macawiis_Bile_Nigiish:
English....Japanese....Somali..

(Yes)......Hai.....Ha..

(Don't know)...Wakaranai.....Magaranaye..

(Giraffe)....Kirin.....Girrin

(Mother).....Hahaoya......Hooyo

(Gone)........Takai.....Tagay

(Silent).......Musei......Amuuse

Japanese people are undercover Black Africans

lol

Yes but according to Winters, Mande black Africans not Somali! LMFO [Big Grin]
Posts: 26388 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

And Africanist is simply a student or scholar of African history. Shomarka Keita, Christopher Ehret, and Cheikh Anta Diop are Africanists.

Afrocentrism is a political ideology to which Dr. Winters ascribes, and whose premises were 1st codified by Molefi Asante.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com