EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » 5th dynasty Egypt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 5th dynasty Egypt
Neferefre
Member # 13793

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neferefre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello everyone, I was wondering does anybody know a website or have any pictures of 5th dynasty pharoahs temple,mortuary paintings, all I ever seen was Unas?  -

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 0 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote Now     View Poll Results

Posts: 197 | From: 5th Dynasty Abusir Temple | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Obelisk_18
Member # 11966

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Obelisk_18     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um babe, whats the poll for? Anyways, you can pretty much google 5th dynasty pictures by typing the names of particular kings on google image, if they're any existing potraits of them that is [Smile] .
Posts: 447 | From: Somewhere son... | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neferefre
Member # 13793

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neferefre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mistake with the poll, disregard, I did google just can't find scenes of the tomb paintings and temple reliefs. There suppose to be this block from Sahure temple relief with scenes of pyramid workers dragging the (Pyramiddion) caps stone for his pyramid on site with royal priest and family standing near by.

One worker was pouring water onto the ground while the rest of the men were pulling the stone on a sledge. Seems interesting?

--------------------
"Son of the sun god Ra"

Posts: 197 | From: 5th Dynasty Abusir Temple | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Solver
Member # 9033

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Solver         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Neferefre:
[QB] My mistake with the poll, disregard, I did google just can't find scenes of the tomb paintings and temple reliefs. There suppose to be this block from Sahure temple relief with scenes of pyramid workers dragging the (Pyramiddion) caps stone for his pyramid on site with royal priest and family standing near by.

One worker was pouring water onto the ground while the rest of the men were pulling the stone on a sledge. Seems interesting?

Yes, that would be interesting to see.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neferefre
Member # 13793

Rate Member
Here is the link from the reference of the workers dragging the cap stone. Scroll down to Sahure pyramid.
http://www.travelotica.com/travelguide/498/egypt/cairo/the-pyramid-complexes-13743.htm

--------------------
"Son of the sun god Ra"

Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't find anything about the capstone, but I found a nice page on Egyptian maritime history.

Model ship based on boats in Sahure's monuments:
 -
http://www.artsales.com/ARTistory/Ancient_Ships/06_egyptian_galleons.html

Unfortunately I haven't seen these images myself.
But there are ships that can be seen in the Mastaba of Mereruka from about the same time period.
 -
These huge rowing ships were definitely sea worthy and were the predecessors of those Greek and Roman ships to be seen later plowing the Mediterranean, as well as the later ships of the Moors, the corsairs and the Spanish galleons. This aspect of Egyptian history is often denied, meaning people often dont credit the Egyptians for having large ships capable of sailing on the sea, but they did and they are right there for you to see. And why wouldn't you expect sea going craft from a culture that buried BOATS in their tombs! This particular mastaba has 2 boat pits next to it and many of these mastabas and other monuments were linked by causeways (canals) to the Nile. And the model boats found in Egypt are the oldest found anywhere, leading to today's hobby of model boat building. And lets not forget that rowing as a sport was probably practiced here long ago as well, given that many of the boats seen in ancient Egyptian tombs were powered by oars, like the one from Mereruka's tomb above, which is no different than those seen in modern rowing regattas, with foremen at the bow. And lets also not forget that these boats often featured the eye of ra at the bow or on it, which leads directly to the eyes on the bows of Greek ships at later times. In fact, there were so many boats and causeways in ancient Egypt, that it was almost like an ancient Venice, with a few canals crisscrossing the country.

More on Egyptian construction techniques:
http://www.saudiaramcoworld.com/issue/196602/they.built.for.eternity-in.ancient.egypt.htm

Posts: 8909 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myra Wysinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
King Sahure - Fifth Dynasty

-

STATUE OF RANEFEREF
Painted limestone
Dynasty 5, reign of Raneferef
Abusir, Mortuary temple of Raneferef
Excavations of Miroslav Verner, 1984

-

Hidden Treasures of Ancient Egypt, by Zahi Hawass, p. 132 (2004)

Posts: 1549 | From: California, USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ptah-hotep
 -
 -

unknown king
 -

-

-

-

Posts: 26472 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myra Wysinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Djehuti, a few of those I never seen before. Very interesting collection. Thanks

Posts: 1549 | From: California, USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Obelisk_18
Member # 11966

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Obelisk_18     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm, Ptah-hotep, now he was historys first philosopher, right?
Posts: 447 | From: Somewhere son... | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Myra Wysinger:

Djehuti, a few of those I never seen before. Very interesting collection. Thanks

Your welcome, but it's really nothing but a google image search of 5th dynasty stuff.
quote:
Originally posted by Obelisk_18:

Hmmm, Ptah-hotep, now he was historys first philosopher, right?

Well I wouldn't go so far as to call him thee first, but yes he was one history's first philosophers as well as a vizier to Pharaoh Djedkara Isesi of the 5th dynasty.

His writings are collectively known by scholars as 'The Maxims of Ptah-hotep'.

Posts: 26472 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neferefre
Member # 13793

Rate Member
Special thanks, to all of you for the pics and sites from the 5th dynasty.

--------------------
"Son of the sun god Ra"

Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some more here:

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=005241;p=7

Posts: 8909 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com