EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » High melanin levels linked to protection from fungi and bacteria

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: High melanin levels linked to protection from fungi and bacteria
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/stories/s282901.htm

quote:
An Australian researcher suggests dark skin could be better than white at fending off fungi and bacteria. He says it could explain why dark skin evolved in humans and animals living in tropical environments.

A paper by Sydney-based biologist James Mackintosh, will soon appear in the Journal of Theoretical Biology. According to this week's New Scientist, if Mackintosh's hypothesis is true, then evolving skin colouration should correlate with past temperature and humidity rather than latitude or exposure to sunlight.

A popular theory on why darker skin prevailed in some areas and lighter skin in others, is that the extra melanin in darker skin protects against cancer and sunburn from ultraviolet radiation. But, New Scientist reports, some parts of the body which are hardly ever exposed to sunlight, such as genitalia, throats and nasal passages, are packed with melanin cells.

And animals such as gorillas have dark skin even though they are covered in fur and live in shady forests. What's more, melanin has been shown to be a poor sunscreen that doesn't protect well against UVB radiation.

The magazine reports that James Mackintosh realised that in some creatures melanin forms a capsule around invading pathogens, protecting them against disease.

"My PhD was on insect immunology, and everyone knows that melanin is an important antimicrobial in insects," he says. "But it seems no one has ever suggested it would play the same role in vertebrates."

In mammals, melanin is contained inside vesicles called melanosomes. Larger, more numerous melanosomes make for darker skin. Mackintosh suggests melanosomes might act like lysosomes in the immune system, which engulf invading microorganisms and use enzymes to kill them.

In laboratory studies, melanosomes from human skin can inhibit microoganisms, says Mackintosh. "Melanin is a sticky molecule. The bacteria and fungi get all tangled up, and it stops them from proliferating." Also, a protein called attractin is known to regulate both melanisation and immunity in humans, suggesting a link between the two.

He also points out that darker-skinned people are less likely than people with fair skin to develop serious skin diseases. During the Vietnam war, for example, American soldiers from a variety of racial backgrounds were sent into the Mekong Delta. White soldiers were three times as likely to contract "jungle sores", a skin disease caused by Streptococcus pyogenes, compared with their black comrades.

Mackintosh's hypothesis is "a very good bet", says Anders MĒller, an evolutionary ecologist from the CNRS, France's centre for scientific research in Paris. "It solves a lot of problems with these other theories."

It also explains why we don't all have black skin. Melanin is made from the amino acid tyrosine, which is also needed to build proteins. In prehistoric days when food was scarce in cold, dry areas, tyrosine was probably conserved to make essential proteins, Mackintosh says. It was only worthwhile converting it into extra melanin in the warm, damp tropics where food was abundant and pathogens were rampant.

Posts: 7110 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
What's more, melanin has been shown to be a poor sunscreen that doesn't protect well against UVB radiation.
....then explain tanning.
Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Honestly, I'm not that crazy about this hypothesis. It doesn't really explain why Amerindians in the Amazon aren't black (whereas Tasmanian aborigines are) and why the "pygmies" (how I hate that word) of central Africa are lighter-skinned than many other Africans who live in drier savanna habitats.

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7110 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yom
Member # 11256

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting.

@Tyrannosaurus: Remember that there are many selective evolutionary pressures that could be affecting skin color. It's not necessarily a single gradient based on a single factor.

--------------------
"Oh the sons of Ethiopia; observe with care; the country called Ethiopia is, first, your mother; second, your throne; third, your wife; fourth, your child; fifth, your grave." - Ras Alula Aba Nega.

Posts: 1024 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rasol:

What's more, melanin has been shown to be a poor sunscreen that doesn't protect well against UVB radiation.....Then explain tanning.

Indeed. Explain how people with heavy melanin pigmentation suffer little to no UV ray damage compared to those with little.

quote:
Originally posted by Tyrannosaurus:

Honestly, I'm not that crazy about this hypothesis. It doesn't really explain why Amerindians in the Amazon aren't black (whereas Tasmanian aborigines are) and why the "pygmies" (how I hate that word) of central Africa are lighter-skinned than many other Africans who live in drier savanna habitats.

^ This has been explained numerous times. The people you call "Amerindians" (I hate this word, because it still evokes the old misnomer of 'Indian') are recent arrivals to the tropics, coming as they were from Siberia originally. The 'Pygmies' (which consist of diverse groups, by the way) are lighter in complexion because they live in shaded forests. The indigenous Tasmanians as has been explained recently and before that, descend from black populations and were relatively recent arrivals to Tasmania and havent's spent as much time at that latitude as the Khoisan.
Posts: 26349 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bettyboo
Member # 12987

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bettyboo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know too much about this article especially when comparing humans (dark humans) to apes and gorillas. There is one truth though, dark skin is not prone to fungus. I noticed that white people grow fungus on their skin easily just like they catch lice easily.
Posts: 2088 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com