EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Does anyone know any good books or other resources

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Does anyone know any good books or other resources
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
on the history and even peopling of africa?

I came across a book at borders today, but upon scanning it, a little ways through, I came across "distinct [groups/people]" including "nilo saharans" and "negroes".

I don't remember the name, which doesn't really help, but I believe penguin(s) was in the title, and the book was about africa, people, kingdoms, history, from the beginning (homo sapiens) to present.

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Perhaps you are referring to the Penguin Atlas of African History edited by Colin McEvedy. Yes, the book is a little outdated-- going by some debunked Eurocentric concepts, but other than that there is still some good info.

Other books on African history:

Cambridge Historical atlas of Africa edited by J.F. Ade Ajayi & Michael Crowder

Africa in history : themes and outlines by Basil Davidson

African kingdoms by Basil Davidson

African civilization revisited: From antiquity to Modern Times by Basil Davidson

African Civilizations: An Archaeological Perspective by Graham Connah

History of Africa by Kevin Shillington

Africa by John Reader

Africans: The History of a Continent by John Iliffe

Wonders of the African world by Henry Louis Gates

Africa in the Iron Age c. 500 B.C. to A.D. 1400 by Roland Oliver & Brian M. Fagan

The Development of Nomadism in Ancient Northeast Africa: A Deft and Suggestive Combination of Theory and Evidence by Karim Sadr

African Rock Art: Paintings and Engravings on Stone by David Coulson

As for the "peopling" of Africa. The human species evolved on the African continent from hominid ancestors that have live there for millions of years so I don't know what you mean.

Posts: 26252 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
^ Perhaps you are referring to the Penguin Atlas of African History edited by Colin McEvedy. Yes, the book is a little outdated-- going by some debunked Eurocentric concepts, but other than that there is still some good info.

Yes. The concepts are what threw me off, it's what I based my decision on.

quote:
Other books on African history:

Cambridge Historical atlas of Africa edited by J.F. Ade Ajayi & Michael Crowder

Africa in history : themes and outlines by Basil Davidson

African kingdoms by Basil Davidson

African civilization revisited: From antiquity to Modern Times by Basil Davidson

African Civilizations: An Archaeological Perspective by Graham Connah

History of Africa by Kevin Shillington

Africa by John Reader

Africans: The History of a Continent by John Iliffe

Wonders of the African world by Henry Louis Gates

Africa in the Iron Age c. 500 B.C. to A.D. 1400 by Roland Oliver & Brian M. Fagan

The Development of Nomadism in Ancient Northeast Africa: A Deft and Suggestive Combination of Theory and Evidence by Karim Sadr

African Rock Art: Paintings and Engravings on Stone by David Coulson

Thank you so much Djehuti.

quote:

As for the "peopling" of Africa. The human species evolved on the African continent from hominid ancestors that have live there for millions of years so I don't know what you mean.

Yeah, I realize it. [Big Grin] What I was talking about was Africa's ethnicities and history.
Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ If you want books on the ethnography or ethnographic history of Africa, then there are fewer books but good ones nonetheless.

The Peoples of Africa: An Ethnohistorical Dictionary by James Stuart Olson

There is a book series also called The Peoples of Africa created by professors from the London University School of Oriental and African studies. The series is divided into books, each one detailing a region of Africa and the different groups that live there.

There is also a book series called the Heritage Library of African Peoples which consists of dozens of books, each one about a specific ethnic group of Afrca.

And lastly there is another book series entitled Culture and Customs of Africa with each book about a specific African nation and the various peoples that live there as well as their cultures.

Posts: 26252 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com