EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Was Queen Tiye nubian? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Was Queen Tiye nubian?
Nefar
Member # 13890

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nefar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read somewhere just now that queen tiye was nubian.
I thought she was egyptian.is this true?

-

Posts: 229 | From: Atlanta | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yom
Member # 11256

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No she's Egyptian. In fact, some claimed that she was 1/2 Mitanni or some other Asiatic because of her father's (Yuya) facial features!

Yuya on the left and Tiye's mother Tjuyu on the right:

-

--------------------
"Oh the sons of Ethiopia; observe with care; the country called Ethiopia is, first, your mother; second, your throne; third, your wife; fourth, your child; fifth, your grave." - Ras Alula Aba Nega.

Posts: 1024 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ The idea that Tiye was 'Nubian' is something professed only because of the appearance of her bust.

As if to say Egyptians did not typically look like this:

-

Historical evidence shows that she and her parents are from what is now modern day Akhmim in Upper Egypt.

Perhaps King Tut was also 'Nubian' because of the way he looked. [Wink]

-

Posts: 26238 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Blaze
Member # 13931

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Johnny Blaze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nough said!
Posts: 62 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Obelisk_18
Member # 11966

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Obelisk_18     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, many historians, Afrocentrists among them, have yet to recognize that egyptians and nubians were racially and culturally much the same, and that Queen Tiye was really hot [Smile] .
Posts: 447 | From: Somewhere son... | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^Lol, I don't know about the latter, that they have yet to realize this, but good and true points.

As for the thread, now this is the type of thread I know many regulars get tired of seeing.

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Obelisk_18
Member # 11966

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Obelisk_18     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Willing Thinker {What Box}:
^Lol, I don't know about the latter, that they have yet to realize this, but good and true points.

As for the thread, now this is the type of thread I know many regulars get tired of seeing.

oh you dont think shes hot? must have really high standards huh? [Wink]
Posts: 447 | From: Somewhere son... | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ The bust seems to depict a more aged look, but judging from some re-makes of the bust showing a younger look as well as all the written texts (especially by her husband Amenhotep III), yes she was a hot lady! [Wink]
Posts: 26238 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What made you think I didn't think Queen Tiye was hot? She was.

quote:
Originally posted by Obelisk_18:
quote:
Originally posted by Willing Thinker {What Box}:

oh you dont think shes hot? must have really high standards huh? [Wink]
I don't know about the latter [your second statement (in bold)],

quote:
Originally posted by Obe_18:

Yep, many historians, Afrocentrists among them, have yet to recognize that egyptians and nubians were racially and culturally much the same, and that Queen Tiye was really hot [Smile] .

Your statement summarized below:

"Yep, many historians, Afrocentrists among them, have yet to recognize [...] that Queen Tiye was really hot [Smile] ."

^^^I don't know about the fact they have yet to realize that.

-

-

^Very attractive

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mansa Musa
Member # 6800

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mansa Musa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always thought the bust depicted a much older woman with a bit of a scowling expression. Better looking than Cleopatra's bust. [Big Grin]

And yes, the only reason Tiye has been regarded as "Nubian" is because of the racist belief that native Egyptians did not look like her.

This has been common in Egyptology even craniometric analysis of ancient skulls, those deemed to be too "Negroid" are classified as foreign. They were regarded as the product of slaves, Nubian mercenaries or any excuse to dub them Non-Egyptian.

Posts: 1203 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nefar
Member # 13890

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nefar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow thanks for telling me this!
Posts: 229 | From: Atlanta | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nefar
Member # 13890

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for Nefar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I apologize. I didn't know
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's ok, you're new, no ill feelings towards you.

I may expound on why I said that in a bit..

look at these threads:

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=005464

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=005463

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=005465

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=005462

Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scroll thru these when you get the time.

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=005019#000007

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=003090;p=1#000000

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=003818;p=1

--------------------
http://iheartguts.com/shop/bmz_cache/7/72e040818e71f04c59d362025adcc5cc.image.300x261.jpg http://www.nastynets.net/www.mousesafari.com/lohan-facial.gif

dan5678
Member # 13968

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dan5678     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nefar:
I read somewhere just now that queen tiye was nubian.
I thought she was egyptian.is this true?

Queen Tiye was a beautiful woman.

A green steatite statue of Queen Tiye from the Louvre. Originally part of a group sttaue, but only the Queen's figure was preserved. The arm of (presumably) the King is visible to her right.

-

Head of Queen Tiye from the MetMuseum
 -

A beautiful black granite statue of Queen Tiye, mother of the monotheistic king Akhnaten, was unearthed last Monday in Luxor, reports Nevine El-Aref. "The statue is mostly intact," said Zahi Hawass, secretary-general of the Supreme Council of Antiquities (SCA), who added that although the 160cm tall statue has a broken arm and a missing leg, it was still considered very well preserved. It features a standing Queen Tiye wearing a wig and a cobra-decorated crown. Initial examinations revealed that the back of the statue is engraved with two columns of hieroglyphic text bearing different titles of king Amenhotep III, who ruled for 38 years during the 18th Dynasty. According to Sabri Abdel-Aziz, head of the SCA's Ancient Egypt Department, the inscriptions written on the statue also include a cartouche of a 21st Dynasty queen called Henutaw, which reveals that the same statue was used in a subsequent era.
 -

Smaller statues of Queen Tiye
 -

Close up of Tiye
 -

Fragmentary funerary mask of Queen Tiye. Part of the Ägyptisches Museum collection in Berlin.

-

Dynasty XVIII: Head of a statuette representing Queen Tiye Gray schist - H 0.072 From the Sinai region, found in the temple of Hathor, protective goddess of the turquoise mountain at Serabit el-Khadim in Sinai. Cairo, Museum of Archaeology Dimensions: Height 75 cm Side view

-

Same statue of Queen Tiye full view
 -

Posts: 53 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tiye was a full blooded Egyptian who came from a prominent family in Akhmim, part of Upper Egypt.
Those are the facts. Her "features" are nothing but FULLY EGYPTIAN and has nothing to do with being "Nubian". However, as the Amun priesthood was a powerful force during this time and was also a major force in Kush, her role as Great Royal Wife would have made her a prominent figure known throughout the two cultures.

This worhip of Tiye in Kush because of temples established there by Amenhotep III, is partly the reason for her being associated with "nubia". Of course this has nothing to do with reality as her parents were nothing but indigenous Egyptians.

quote:

The unprecedented thing about Tiyi ... is not where she came from but what she became. No previous queen ever figured so prominently in her husband's lifetime. Tiyi regularly appeared besides Amenhotep III in statuary, tomb and temple reliefs, and stelae while her name is paired with his on numerous small objects, such as vessels and jewelry, not to mention the large commemorative scarabs, where her name regularly follows his in the dateline. New elements in her portraiture, such as the addition of cows' horns and sun disks—attributes of the goddess Hathor—to her headdress, and her representation in the form of a sphinx—an image formerly reserved for the king—emphasize her role as the king's divine, as well as earthly partner. Amenhotep III built a temple to her in Sedeinga in northern Sudan, where she was worshiped as a form of Hathor ... The temple at Sedeinga was the pendant to Amenhotep III's own, larger temple at Soleb, fifteen kilometres to the south (an arrangement followed a century later by Ramses II at Abu Simbel, where there are likewise two temples, the larger southern temple dedicated to the king, and the smaller, northern temple dedicated to the queen, Nefertiry, as Hathor).[7]

Note the contradiction of how she can be labelled "Nubian" while her father can be labelled "Asiatic". Both of which reflect the misdirected and biased scholarship about ancient Egypt. Meaning Egyptians cannot be Egyptians they have to be associated with somewhere else or some other people.

Posts: 8889 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mansa Musa
Member # 6800

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mansa Musa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

This is a very beautiful and youthful looking bust to me. [Smile]

Just my opinion since it was mentioned. Pam Grier looked alot more attractive IMO at 24 than she does at 58 (though she still looks good).

Posts: 1203 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ I heard Amenhotep III even had an artificial lake built in the desert just off the Nile Valley, all for his wife Tiye. The guy must have loved his wife alot (as well as being seriously whipped), so she had to be seriously hot!

And she must have been hardcore too for a bust to depict her mean-mugging! LOL [Big Grin]

-

-

A very bad ass chick! [Cool]

Obelisk_18
Member # 11966

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
^ I heard Amenhotep III even had an artificial lake built in the desert just off the Nile Valley, all for his wife Tiye. The guy must have loved his wife alot (as well as being seriously whipped), so she had to be seriously hot!

And she must have been hardcore too for a bust to depict her mean-mugging! LOL [Big Grin]

-

-

A very bad ass chick! [Cool]

An absolute God-king, pussy whipped? hahahah i never would have thought......
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is this the best you all can do? Is there nothing
significant about Tiye other than barroom boys'
holding up placards with numbers 1 - 10 on them?

Do you characterize Thutmosis as a handsome hunk
or do you peer into his life's accomplishments?

Not to take away from the popularity and fun
but is there any beef or is it just buns?

What? What's that? Al~Takruri is a stuffed shirt
as stiff as the starch? Sputter. Harumph. Sputter.

--------------------
Intellectual property of YYT al~Takruri © 2004 - 2017. All rights reserved.

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ LOL I never meant to sound sexist. I was merely replying to what Obelisk started when he said Tiye was hot. Despite the her painted bust of an aged woman scowling (mean mugging), I have little doubt she was a beautiful woman, especially when younger.

But to get to more important aspects of her life, Doug M is correct that Tiye was more than just the regular queen or chief wife of the Pharaoh. All depictions show her having the same stature as her pharaoh husband, and always by his side as if they were equals. Indeed, one might believe that she was his equal not just in their private/domestic life but perhaps even in their public/political life as well. Many scholars think Nefertiti's role of chief wife on par in status with the pharaoh may have actually been inherited from her mother-in-law -- Akhenaton's own mother, Tiye. There are even a few scholars who go so far as to say that Tiye may have even had a role in Akhenaton's religious revolution! Although what evidence led them to that conclusion, I have no idea.

Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The reason for Tiye being considered to have had a role in Akhenaten's religious revolution is because Aten worship actually started prior to Akhenaten and Amenhotep III was particularly fond of it.

quote:

The mythology of the Aten, the radiant disk of the sun, is not only unique in Egyptian history, but is also one of the most complex and controversial aspects of Ancient Egypt.

The ancient Egyptian term for the disk of the sun was Aten, which is first evidenced during the Middle Kingdom, though of course solar worship begins much earlier in Egyptian history. It should be noted however that this term initially could be applied to any disk, including even the surface of a mirror or the moon. The term was used in the Coffin Texts to denote the sun disk, but in the 'Story of Sinuhe' dating from the Middle Kingdom, the word is used with the determinative for god (Papyrus Berlin 10499). In that story, Amenemhat I is described as soaring into the sky and uniting with Aten his creator.

Text written during the New Kingdom's 18th Dynasty frequently use the term to mean "throne" or "place" of the sun god. The word Aten was written using the hieroglyphic sign for "god" because the Egyptians tended to personify certain expressions. Eventually, the Aten was conceived as a direct manifestation of the sun god.

Though the Aten became particularly important during the New Kingdom reigns of Tuthmosis IV and Amenhotep III, mostly sole credit for the actual origin of the deity Aten must be credited to Amenhotep IV (Akhenaten). Even at the beginning of the New Kingdom, it's founder, Ahmose, is flattered on a stela by being likened to "Aten when he shines". His successor, Amenhotep I, becomes in death "united with Aten, coalescing with the one from whom he had come". Tuthmosis I was portrayed in his temple at Tombos in Nubia wearing the sun disk and followed by the hieroglyphic sign for 'god'. Hatshepsut used the term on her standing obelisk in the temple of Karnak to denote the astronomical concept of the disk, though it was actually during the reign of Amenhotep II that the earliest iconography of Aten appears on a monument at Giza as a winged sun disk (though this was a manifestation of Re) with outstretched arms grasping the cartouche of the pharaoh.

Posts: 8889 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Obelisk_18
Member # 11966

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Doug M:
The reason for Tiye being considered to have had a role in Akhenaten's religious revolution is because Aten worship actually started prior to Akhenaten and Amenhotep III was particularly fond of it.

quote:

The mythology of the Aten, the radiant disk of the sun, is not only unique in Egyptian history, but is also one of the most complex and controversial aspects of Ancient Egypt.

The ancient Egyptian term for the disk of the sun was Aten, which is first evidenced during the Middle Kingdom, though of course solar worship begins much earlier in Egyptian history. It should be noted however that this term initially could be applied to any disk, including even the surface of a mirror or the moon. The term was used in the Coffin Texts to denote the sun disk, but in the 'Story of Sinuhe' dating from the Middle Kingdom, the word is used with the determinative for god (Papyrus Berlin 10499). In that story, Amenemhat I is described as soaring into the sky and uniting with Aten his creator.

Text written during the New Kingdom's 18th Dynasty frequently use the term to mean "throne" or "place" of the sun god. The word Aten was written using the hieroglyphic sign for "god" because the Egyptians tended to personify certain expressions. Eventually, the Aten was conceived as a direct manifestation of the sun god.

Though the Aten became particularly important during the New Kingdom reigns of Tuthmosis IV and Amenhotep III, mostly sole credit for the actual origin of the deity Aten must be credited to Amenhotep IV (Akhenaten). Even at the beginning of the New Kingdom, it's founder, Ahmose, is flattered on a stela by being likened to "Aten when he shines". His successor, Amenhotep I, becomes in death "united with Aten, coalescing with the one from whom he had come". Tuthmosis I was portrayed in his temple at Tombos in Nubia wearing the sun disk and followed by the hieroglyphic sign for 'god'. Hatshepsut used the term on her standing obelisk in the temple of Karnak to denote the astronomical concept of the disk, though it was actually during the reign of Amenhotep II that the earliest iconography of Aten appears on a monument at Giza as a winged sun disk (though this was a manifestation of Re) with outstretched arms grasping the cartouche of the pharaoh.

wow thanks for da info babe [Big Grin] , it seems Aten worship had quite a long history in egypt, and the Akhenaten's monotheism wasnt just something out of the blue, but the culmination of a historical development.
Nefar
Member # 13890

Rate Member
lol can you stop calling people babe?
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto the above, Doug, good info.

Lol at the 'whipped' comment, Djehuti [Big Grin] !

quote:
Originally posted by alTakruri:
Is this the best you all can do? Is there nothing
significant about Tiye other than barroom boys'
holding up placards with numbers 1 - 10 on them?

Do you characterize Thutmosis as a handsome hunk
or do you peer into his life's accomplishments?

Not to take away from the popularity and fun
but is there any beef or is it just buns?

What? What's that? Al~Takruri is a stuffed shirt
as stiff as the starch? Sputter. Harumph. Sputter.

I have to admit, at some point in the thread, I thought about the same. And in that Cleo thread.

Good call, man.

However, I didn't think it was too bad.

Sheesh what about when we're catching some of the Thanksgiving game and all the women can talk about is pointless stuff, such as who's "cute", or "look at how tight those pants are on them". Hmmmm? [Razz]

[Roll Eyes]

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Any more relevant info on Tiye?
Obelisk_18
Member # 11966

Rate Member
quote:
Any more relevant info on Tiye?

yeah, she was a baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad B**ch, lol, oh and what about her father being Syrian or something like that?
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^ Tiye's father was a nobleman called Lord Yuya. The notion that Yuya was foreign comes from several reasons, but mainly because of the appearance of his mummy.

-

Because of the blonde color of the hair, as well as certain features, Yuya's ethnic identity has ranged from Hebrew, to Syrian, to Mitanni, with the his Hebrew identity going as far as being Joseph himself! I find that to be strange and funny considering that blonde hair is totally atypical of southwestern Asians, let alone Hebrews. The light colored hair, as well as the fact that Yuya was good at horse-training makes it more plausible that Yuya was of the Indo-European Mitanni. But then again, his blonde hair could have been caused by the embalming process and his features do not seem all that unusual for an Egyptian. And there appear to be no records that Yuya was foreign. Obviously if you look at Tiye's painted bust, she does not appear to be of any 'mixed' foreign ancestry.

Obelisk_18
Member # 11966

Rate Member
quote:
^ Tiye's father was a nobleman called Lord Yuya. The notion that Yuya was foreign comes from several reasons, but mainly because of the appearance of his mummy.

-

Because of the blonde color of the hair, as well as certain features, Yuya's ethnic identity has ranged from Hebrew, to Syrian, to Mitanni, with the his Hebrew identity going as far as being Joseph himself! I find that to be strange and funny considering that blonde hair is totally atypical of southwestern Asians, let alone Hebrews. The light colored hair, as well as the fact that Yuya was good at horse-training makes it more plausible that Yuya was of the Indo-European Mitanni. But then again, his blonde hair could have been caused by the embalming process and his features do not seem all that unusual for an Egyptian. And there appear to be no records that Yuya was foreign. Obviously if you look at Tiye's painted bust, she does not appear to be of any 'mixed' foreign ancestry.

yeah I know thats weird, the bust of Tiye looks like a uh, full black woman, maybe Yuya had weak genes? [Confused]

Oh and its been shown that Yuya's blonde hair is due to embalming, like it was with Rameses' uh, red hair [Smile] .

Whatbox
Member # 10819

^Of relevance.

-

-

(^Clickable pics)

^I look back at my comments in that thread and feel really stupid. I don't think there was one legitamite question in a post, aside from, maybe, the 'white' in africa Q.

quote:
weak genes?
Duh! If perhaps Yuya was not 'black', Tiye may have simply inherited all of the necissary pigmentation genes from her parents(, the ones her father lacked -> from her mother).
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's thought that among the Canaanites the Amorites
had "blond" elements among them. But in seeing Tiye
as Levantine those proponents are acknowledging that
Syrians, or whoever, are no way Caucasian nor even
remotely caucasoid.

Sometimes the perfectly legitimate child of a couple
may lack resemblance to one or even both parents.

Yuya's career path and certain of his facial features
may indeed indicate partial descent from Eurasians
-- by which term I mean a cojoining of Europeans
and Asians as the term was used last century.

The maryanu were a caste of charioteers all over
the far northeast extension of Africa. Many suppose
them to have had particular Mitanni origins. Even the
ox drawn chariot of the Keshli queen in Huy's tomb has
a charioteer and groom of a highly variant physical type.

quote:
The notion that Yuya was foreign comes from several reasons, but mainly because of the appearance of his mummy.

Because of the blonde color of the hair, as well as certain features,
I find that to be strange and funny considering that blonde hair is totally atypical of southwestern Asians, let alone Hebrews. The light colored hair, as well as the fact that Yuya was good at horse-training makes it more plausible that Yuya was of the Indo-European Mitanni. But then again, his blonde hair could have been caused by the embalming process
if you look at Tiye's painted bust, she does not appear to be of any 'mixed' foreign ancestry.

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

It's thought that among the Canaanites the Amorites had "blond" elements among them. But in seeing Tiye as Levantine those proponents are acknowledging that Syrians, or whoever, are no way Caucasian nor even remotely caucasoid.

That's a first I've heard -- of blondism being present among the Amorites, I mean. But you are correct, that claiming Tiye (looking the way she does) to be a daughter of Asiatic descent would only contradict the claims of Asiatics being non-black or "k-zoid".

quote:
Sometimes the perfectly legitimate child of a couple may lack resemblance to one or even both parents.
True. Or as some of those scholars who proclaim a foreign descent for Yuya, Tiye was not his biological daughter but a stepdaughter.

quote:
Yuya's career path and certain of his facial features may indeed indicate partial descent from Eurasians
-- by which term I mean a cojoining of Europeans
and Asians as the term was used last century.

That is probable. Chariot technology was a foreign innovation introduced to Egypt by Asiatics, and in fact it was something supposedly invented by Eurasian nomadic horsemen like Indo-Iranian speaking groups such as the Mitanni.

quote:
The maryanu were a caste of charioteers all over the far northeast extension of Africa. Many suppose them to have had particular Mitanni origins. Even the ox drawn chariot of the Keshli queen in Huy's tomb has a charioteer and groom of a highly variant physical type.
^ That I did not know, and I find such info to be very insteresting considering that the Mitanni warriors were called Marya which in Indian Sanskrit also meant warriors, with the Iranian version being Mariana!!
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
But there is no solid evidence for a REAL connection between Tiye and the Levant.

-
Now if we are going to talk about features, then look at the nose and lips on his mummy. They don't strike me as particularly "asiatic".

Also, I see no evidence of the charioteers of the Egyptian army being anything other than indigenous Egyptians. Many people have said this but nobody I know has put any proof on the table confirming it. If anything, this is another example of speculation gone wild in attempting to find some way, indeed any way to link Egypt with Asiatics or fair skinned people in the minds of the masses. Tiye and her family cannot just be plain old indigenous Egyptians who were black. That goes against the rules, there must be some other explanation, she couldn't have been the GREAT QUEEN without some foreign strain in her.... black folks can't do that on their own.....

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He could easily look like this. This guys mummy will probably look like this.

-

quote:
But there is no solid evidence for a REAL connection between Tiye and the Levant.

-
Now if we are going to talk about features, then look at the nose and lips on his mummy. They don't strike me as particularly "asiatic".

Also, I see no evidence of the charioteers of the Egyptian army being anything other than indigenous Egyptians. Many people have said this but nobody I know has put any proof on the table confirming it. If anything, this is another example of speculation gone wild in attempting to find some way, indeed any way to link Egypt with Asiatics or fair skinned people in the minds of the masses. Tiye and her family cannot just be plain old indigenous Egyptians who were black. That goes against the rules, there must be some other explanation, she couldn't have been the GREAT QUEEN without some foreign strain in her.... black folks can't do that on their own.....

Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
quote:

Nobody said there was.

quote:
 -

Me neither. But the trait that people point to is the hair color.

quote:
Also, I see no evidence of the charioteers of the Egyptian army being anything other than indigenous Egyptians. Many people have said this but nobody I know has put any proof on the table confirming it. If anything, this is another example of speculation gone wild in attempting to find some way, indeed any way to link Egypt with Asiatics or fair skinned people in the minds of the masses.
True, but you must admit that charioteering itself is not native to Egypt/Africa as well as the horse. These things were introduced by the Hyksos who in turn recieved it from other groups, with charioteering and horse domestication ultimately originating in the Eurasian steppes.

quote:
Tiye and her family cannot just be plain old indigenous Egyptians who were black. That goes against the rules, there must be some other explanation, she couldn't have been the GREAT QUEEN without some foreign strain in her.... black folks can't do that on their own.....
Yes, but as Takruri pointed out I don't know what good it does for folks to say Tiye is of Levantine/Asiatic ancestry, considering wat she (especially her bust) looks like. Unless one is saying such peoples are also black.
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
You can't see evidence you're not trying to see
nor want to really find in the first place. And no
one is claiming extra African anything for the
prime members of the greatest royal family
to ever rule anywhere anytime

How can we know that foreigners of every stripe
entered ancient Egypt for employment opportunities
then deny seeing them when put to work exploiting
the selfsame skills they brought with them?

Look at the ultra-light skinned charioteers on Tut's
famous box/chest. Native Egyptian? Yes, to the extent
that later generation miscegenated nationalized foreigners
are native due to marrying in with the natives.

An appeal to racial solidarity will only masks the faces
of those who don it. It will never coverup the facts.

quote:
Also, I see no evidence of the charioteers of the Egyptian army being anything other than indigenous Egyptians. Many people have said this but nobody I know has put any proof on the table confirming it. If anything, this is another example of speculation gone wild in attempting to find some way, indeed any way to link Egypt with Asiatics or fair skinned people in the minds of the masses.

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Splendid!

Originally posted by xyyman:
He could easily look like this. This guys mummy will probably look like this.

-
 -

dan5678
Member # 13968

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for dan5678     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
^

-

Great detailed picture of Lord Yuya. [Smile]
Posts: 53 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
^

--------------------

Johnny Blaze
Member # 13931

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Johnny Blaze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yuya could've been African as well,look at his full lips,his lips are fuller than the so-called Rameses the great mummy.
Posts: 62 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
quote:
You can't see evidence you're not trying to see
nor want to really find in the first place. And no
one is claiming extra African anything for the
prime members of the greatest royal family
to ever rule anywhere anytime

How can we know that foreigners of every stripe
entered ancient Egypt for employment opportunities
then deny seeing them when put to work exploiting
the selfsame skills they brought with them?

Look at the ultra-light skinned charioteers on Tut's
famous box/chest. Native Egyptian? Yes, to the extent
that later generation miscegenated nationalized foreigners
are native due to marrying in with the natives.

An appeal to racial solidarity will only masks the faces
of those who don it. It will never coverup the facts.

quote:

I am not appealing to racial solidarity, because there is no such thing as RACE and I am not Egyptian. The point is that many people talk about the FOREIGN blood in the chariot soldiers in ancient Egypt, but I have yet to see one piece of evidence supporting this. And almost the only time it does come up is in reference to Yuya, who was part of a prominent family from Upper Egypt, meaning part of the aristocracy of ancient Egypt and not a rank and file troop. I don't disagree that these foreigners weren't present or settled in Egypt, but we are talking about providing facts and evidence as opposed to just generalizations based on theoretical grounds. Sure, Egyptians may have gotten skills from the remnants of Hyksos or other foreign chariot drivers, but that does not mean that most of the chariot drivers in the 18th dynasty were anything but indigenous Egyptian, especially the chief of the King's chariots. My concern is based on the fact that almost every time I see such claims they are immediately followed by suggestions of 'biblical" connections in the 18th dynasty. Certainly the title 'chief of the Kings's chariots' does not quantify as proof of foreign ancestry. As for the box in Tut's tomb with images of him on a chariot, those images also show tut in a somewhat lighter complexion than some of his other portraits. It does not serve to confirm or deny the foreign ancestry in any member of the Egyptian chariotry. In fact there are tombs that show quite clearly the chariot troops of the Egyptians and they don't look the least bit non Egyptian.
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
It's not Tut's image I refered to, it's the
charioteers in the top register accompanying
him. The maryanu and their origin is a fact
that you don't seem to know about. I suggest
you research them and their role in all armies
of that time period in all societies starting
from Mitanni toward the southward and eastward,
you might learn something.

Anyway a 100% black population for Egypt is just
untenable. Too many records of foreign influx
including marriages of them to natives which of
course resulted in offspring.

Maryanu being a male chariot warrior caste would
certainly marry the females of whatever country
they hired themselves out to. Likewise, non-Indo
European speakers would join the caste and learn
the skills so why would anyone expect not to find
charioteers who had no foreign ancestry?

Lastly, this has nothing to do with the Bible and
even if it did it's be a poor excuse to reject
facts to fit a bible-phobic ideology.

--------------------

Ebony Allen
Member # 12771

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ebony Allen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where are the records of these marriages of non-black foreigners to native black Egyptians?
Posts: 603 | From: Mobile, Alabama | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
quote:
It's not Tut's image I refered to, it's the
charioteers in the top register accompanying
him. The maryanu and their origin is a fact
that you don't seem to know about. I suggest
you research them and their role in all armies
of that time period in all societies starting
from Mitanni toward the southward and eastward,
you might learn something.

Anyway a 100% black population for Egypt is just
untenable. Too many records of foreign influx
including marriages of them to natives which of
course resulted in offspring.

Maryanu being a male chariot warrior caste would
certainly marry the females of whatever country
they hired themselves out to. Likewise, non-Indo
European speakers would join the caste and learn
the skills so why would anyone expect not to find
charioteers who had no foreign ancestry?

Lastly, this has nothing to do with the Bible and
even if it did it's be a poor excuse to reject
facts to fit a bible-phobic ideology.

I am only asking for proof of Mittani ancestry or Maryanu affiliation for Yuya. That is totally different than saying no foreigners ever migrated to Egypt or intermarried with native Egyptians. That is not what I am saying. At the same token, however, given that the Maryanu may have been hired by the Egyptians at some point, that does not mean that any and all charioteers we find in Egypt can be said to be Maryanu. The point being where is the evidence of this Maryanu chariot force IN EGYPT? Are there any surviving tombs recording Maryanu soldiers by name as MARYANU who achieved high rank? Are there any inscriptions that identify any Maryanu by name in any Egyptian reliefs? I have seen Egyptian tombs with Egyptians making chariots and stabling the horses, but none with the above mentioned Maryanu. This is not a question of ethnic purity by any means. I am just asking for more evidence than what I have seen by anyone mentioning such folks, which usually boils down to a few lines in some book that lacks any identifiable artifacts or inscriptions that can be seen and observed independently.

Tomb of Menna:
 -

Yonis2
Member # 11348

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yonis2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The question you need to answer is why you consider the features of Yuya to be indigenious in the nile valley while not the majority of modern Egyptians? Answer this question.
Posts: 1554 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Yonis2:
The question you need to answer is why you consider the features of Yuya to be indigenious in the nile valley while not the majority of modern Egyptians? Answer this question.

Because many modern Egyptians have more foreign ancestry, especially those in the extreme North of the country. That is a documented fact. All modern Egyptians do not have the same ancestral background. Some Egyptians openly and proudly admit that they are of Arab descent and others openly admit that they are mixed. However, there are also portions of the population who have similarities in features to the ancient populations as well. Therefore, if you feel that all modern Egyptians are equally descended from ancient Egyptian bloodlines, then fine. But they aren't. And all ancient Egyptians did not have the exact same ancestry either. But that does not mean that modern Egypt has the same ethnic and ancestral mix in the population as ancient Egypt. It does not. But that still does not mean that people should not do comparisons between the two, not in the least to see what craniofacial characteristics have changed between the two, if anything. You seem to waste time in generalities. Some generalizations like modern Egypt is all one type or Mittani blood was in ALL or MOST charioteers of the 18th dynasty. Neither of which makes absolutely ANY sense at all. Such generalizations are irrelevant to the point at hand. We are talking about one person, Yuya and that one person is not the entire ancient Egyptian population. Whether or not he did or did not have Mittani ancestry cannot be then extrapolated to the entire population of Egypt, much as whether any specific individual in modern Egypt has more or less foreign ancestry cannot be extrapolated to the population as a whole. Such arguments or methods of reasoning reflect laziness or outright refusal to do the requisite detailed analysis versus sticking to ERRONEOUS and MISLEADING generalizations.

The point is that YOU feel that there are features in Yuya's mummy that are SPECIFICALLY FOREIGN to the Nile Valley. What are those features SPECIFICALLY and where is a DETAILED analysis of ancient and modern Nile Valley populations determining whether such features are FOREIGN? I have seen none from you so far. Likewise, where is the ancient and modern craniofacial data concerning populations from the Levant and regions occupied by the Mittani for comparison? Would you NOT agree that such data is required to undertake a comprehensive analysis and informed opinion? Right now your whole argument is conjecture, based on speculation and preliminary observation, none of which is backed up by the hard evidence to reinforce such a view. Therefore, the burden is on YOU to provide such evidence, not myself. I see it as MORE likely that Yuya was indigenous to the Nile Valley and I DO NOT see his features as uniquely FOREIGN, meaning NOT found in populations along the Nile. Such features ARE found along the Nile in Egypt and elsewhere, therefore making such a line of argument weak at best, asinine at worst. The point is that I do not RULE OUT the possibility of foreign ancestry for Yuya, not in the least. However, as said again, I see nothing offered so far in terms of evidence to support that view. All of this is purely conjecture, because NEITHER of us can provide said craniofacial data sets ourselves. However, some of us treat conjecture and reasonable opinions as FACT.

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ LOL Is Yonis even serious about asking that question??!

I mean, does he not know as basic a fact of Egyptian history as the Arab Islamic invasion in the 7th century, let alone the Roman, Greek, Persian, invasions before then??! [Embarrassed]

Yonis2
Member # 11348

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yonis2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I mean, does he not know as basic a fact of Egyptian history as the Arab Islamic invasion in the 7th century, let alone the Roman, Greek, Persian, invasions before then??! [Embarrassed]

My question obviously went above your head.

Of course I know about all these migrations, invansions etc. What i however wanted to know from Doug m is how come he considers many modern egyptians (who the majority actually look more swarthy or more "African" than Ramses, Yuya and Seti) to be derived from these invasions/migrations, while he considers these late middle kingdom royalties to be of completly Indigenious Nile valley extraction?
That's Hypocrasy in my humble opinion.

Btw the arabs didn't mix that much with egyptians as same as they didn't with the levantines it was mostly a cultural, religious and language shift. It wasn't even real arabs but arabized Syrians that introduced Islam to Egypt.

Posts: 1554 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yonis2
Member # 11348

Member Rated:
quote:
Doug M:
Because many modern Egyptians have more foreign ancestry, especially those in the extreme North of the country. That is a documented fact. All modern Egyptians do not have the same ancestral background. Some Egyptians openly and proudly admit that they are of Arab descent and others openly admit that they are mixed. However, there are also portions of the population who have similarities in features to the ancient populations as well. Therefore, if you feel that all modern Egyptians are equally descended from ancient Egyptian bloodlines, then fine. But they aren't.

Descandant from ancient Egyptians in relation to modern Egyptians is a complicated matter, since this society spawned for a period of 3000 years. People came in all the time, i doubt that all individuals who lived in Egypt during the middle or late kingdom descended from those of early dynastic or pre-dynastic Egypt.
There was constantly a flow of people since this nation is located in an area which would make it impossible to fend of any type of migration also maybe why it was superior in culture during it's time.

Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Yonis2:
quote:

My question obviously went above your head.

Of course I know about all these migrations, invansions etc. What i however wanted to know from Doug m is how come he considers many modern egyptians (who the majority actually look more swarthy or more "African" than Ramses, Yuya and Seti) to be derived from these invasions/migrations, while he considers these late middle kingdom royalties to be of completly Indigenious Nile valley extraction?
That's Hypocrasy in my humble opinion.

Btw the arabs didn't mix that much with egyptians as same as they didn't with the levantines it was mostly a cultural, religious and language shift. It wasn't even real arabs but arabized Syrians that introduced Islam to Egypt.

Actually you are the hypocrite in my opinion because YOU label mummies as African and NOT African in features, with ease and not one shred of scientific documentation as to WHY such observations are valid. I asked you a simple question about WHAT features you feel are so NON Egyptian or NOT part of Nile Valley features and as usual you have provided none. This question you are asking is a complete strawman because it reflects an inability on your part to provide the requisite evidence of what constitutes "Nile Valley" features in a mummy. There are plenty of mummies from the New Kingdom that we can look at and I want to know which posses "Nile Valley" features and which do not. The point being that all mummies have distinct features, as do all people and all populations have diverse feature sets. Therefore, if you cannot identify what features in a mummy are uniquely "Nile Valley" in looks, then the whole idea of Yuya or any other mummy not having "Nile Valley" features becomes moot. But of course, rather than admit you don't have anything to support your point of view, you will resort to ad hominem generalizations that mean nothing... Like, well we know there were migrations.... And? What is your evidence for the size and permeations of these migrations, what directions they came from and what impact they had on the features of the people in the Valley? Again, I don't expect that you could provide such facts.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com