EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Wadi Howar an ancient tributary of the Nile

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wadi Howar an ancient tributary of the Nile
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Recent research is showing that the Wadi Howar was an ancient tributary of the Nile that allowed for substantial contact between the people of the Nile valley and those in more central Africa:

quote:

Located at the southern fringes of the Libyan Desert, Wadi Howar is the largest dry river system in the presently hyper-arid and uninhabitable Eastern Sahara, stretching over 1,100 km from its source area in eastern Chad to the Nile. Geoscientific investigations have shown that during the early Holocene this wadi was the Nile's most important tributary from the Sahara. Later, it became a chain of freshwater lakes and marshes supported by local rainfall, until it ultimately became extinct about 2,000 years ago. A once ecologically favoured area of settlement and communication route between the inner regions of Africa and the Nile valley, Wadi Howar bears abundant prehistoric sites providing evidence of important population movements and interregional cultural contacts.

Large posters on the spread of cattle and pottery in this region can be seen here along with the discovery last year of an ancient Meroite fortress in this region:

http://www.uni-koeln.de/sfb389/a/a2/a2_informations.htm#poster1

Posts: 8901 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yom
Member # 11256

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info. We need more of these types of threads on ES.

--------------------
"Oh the sons of Ethiopia; observe with care; the country called Ethiopia is, first, your mother; second, your throne; third, your wife; fourth, your child; fifth, your grave." - Ras Alula Aba Nega.

Posts: 1024 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ We get these types of threads every now and then. But yes, very interesting.

I wonder if these early settlements had to do with early Chadic speakers or Nilo-Saharans.

Posts: 26388 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Posts: 26388 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^up and away
Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kifaru
Member # 4698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kifaru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read once that the nile was also connected to the niger river system in the past thereby providing an aquatic east-west migration route across the continent.
Here's a link Nile Delta flooded savanna

Posts: 167 | From: usa | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Punos_Rey
Administrator
Member # 21929

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Punos_Rey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to bump an old thread, but has any more information about the Yellow Nile surfaced? From what I read its thought to have dried out around 3000 years ago. Would it have been possible for there to have been dynastic era contacts between the Nile and the African interior through this tributary?

--------------------
 -

Meet on the Level, act upon the Plumb, part on the Square.

Posts: 574 | From: Guinee | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Punos_Rey:
Sorry to bump an old thread, but has any more information about the Yellow Nile surfaced? From what I read its thought to have dried out around 3000 years ago. Would it have been possible for there to have been dynastic era contacts between the Nile and the African interior through this tributary?

I would say so as part of ancient trade networks across Africa. To this day you still have Peuhls who travel back and forth to Sudan from Western Africa and also many muslim West Africans also have strong ties to the Muslim Africans in Sudan, which likely predates Islam.

Long ago I had posted that I believe a lot of Nile Valley cultural artifacts in terms of weapons and warfare spread from Sudan to West Africa in this way.

Posts: 8901 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com