EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Who are they ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Who are they ?
PEPI_KHEM
Member # 12897

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PEPI_KHEM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[img] http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/9315/battleti1.jpg[/img]
Posts: 77 | From: AMSTERDAM | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PEPI_KHEM
Member # 12897

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PEPI_KHEM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/9315/battleti1.jpg

--------------------
Returned from exile

Posts: 77 | From: AMSTERDAM | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ They appear to be Asiatics. As to what specific group, I don't have no idea. Is there any clue such as hieroglyphs that can indicate who those people were?
Posts: 26307 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fragment of a battle scene
Thebes, Asasif, Dynasty 18, probably reign of Thutmosis IV (ca. 1400-1390 B.C.)
Painted sandstone, 24 x 45 1/4 in.
Rogers Fund, 1913

Originally posted by PEPI_KHEM:
 -

Very reminescent of Ramses II battle against allied
Hittites and Syrians at Qadesh. Until further
research reveals otherwise I'd say they're Syrian.

As far as the battle at Qadesh goes, the Hittites'
Levantine allies per AE record of the event were of
* Aradus
* Cherb
* Ekeret
* Keshkesh
* Kizwanda
* Irun
* Mese
* Pedes
* Qadesh
* Reke

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wally   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
^ They appear to be Asiatics. As to what specific group, I don't have no idea. Is there any clue such as hieroglyphs that can indicate who those people were?

Djehuti,
You are absolutely right on this one! [Wink]

The Ancient Egyptians did not just draw pictures; pictures were merely illustrations to a TEXT. Only hieroglypics (ie, WRITING) can tell us who these folks were.

It's funny that most people seem to not understand that Ancient Egyptian stone carvings on the temples, tombs, and elsewhere were created mainly due to the fragility of paper and the almost invincibility of stone (although stone, too, was subject to plagiarism and revisionism).

The written word was the foundation for recording and preserving history (ie, find the text that describes this scene, pepi_khem, and your question is answered, as Djehuti has astutely pointed out)...

Posts: 3344 | From: Berkeley | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Met photo is but one fragment of a larger
so far unavailable scene and it has no text.
The Met isn't even sure of the fragment's
provenance. That being the case it's going
to take detective work to propose a precise
plausible ethnicity for the depicted.

Puyemre's tomb, also of the 15th century, has
a painting of men dressed exactly like those
in the above graphic and with the exact same
hairstyles.

They bring much tax in gold hoop form and are
described as the insignificant Mesen foreigners.
Mesen being the plural form of Mese in my last
post.

I invite the cooperation of anyone willing to
apply themselves to actually doing the work of
tracking down any info related to identifying
the folk in Pepi_Khem's supplied jpeg.

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So where is the rest of the mural with the mdu neter?
Posts: 26307 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AFRICA I
Member # 13222

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AFRICA I         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not very familiar with ancient paintings, but for sure I can tell the difference between African paintings and foreign paintings, AE as other Africans don't have much body hair unlike Europeans and West Asians, that's why it's very rare to see AE with beard, it's very difficult for Africans to grow full beard...
Posts: 919 | From: AFRICA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marc Washington
Member # 10979

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marc Washington   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whites from the Steppes appear to have been white as snow as far north populations in Europe often are today. Steppe people migrated southward and mixed with Africans. Are what we call red or brown-skinned Asiatics (the portion of Asiatics at that time without purely African or white features) offspring of both Africans and whites? Those of the fragment above being representative of a population of offspring with such mixed parentage offspring?

Janusz Makkay, The early Mycenaen rulers and the contemporary early Iranians of the Northeast, (Makkay, Budapest, 2000), speaks about such mixed parentage populations which started Mediterranean (I'd say a code word for African in earliest history) and ended up, I'd say, with some populations such as those in the above fragment. Mixed, but otherwise indeterminant, probably?

--------------------
The nature of homelife is the fate of the nation.

Posts: 2334 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^ ignoring the Marc nonsense.

quote:
Originally posted by AFRICA I:

I'm not very familiar with ancient paintings, but for sure I can tell the difference between African paintings and foreign paintings, AE as other Africans don't have much body hair unlike Europeans and West Asians, that's why it's very rare to see AE with beard, it's very difficult for Africans to grow full beard...

Are you saying it's rare for African men to grow full beards? This makes little sense (as usual) for I have seen plenty!
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not sure what ethinicty you are Djehuti but. . .it is a known fact that Africans and there new world decendants are far less hairy than Europeans. . . .ie less body hair . . . ie full beard. Being a decendant and comeing in contact with thousands in my lifetime I will say Africa I is correct.

quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
^ ignoring the Marc nonsense.

quote:
Originally posted by AFRICA I:

Are you saying it's rare for African men to grow full beards? This makes little sense (as usual) for I have seen plenty!

Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^ I never said anything about hairy bodies, just facial hair. I didn't say it was common, but that I have seen Africans with full beards although not as full as Middle-Easterners/Southwest Asians.
AFRICA I
Member # 13222

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AFRICA I         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I call it Djehuti sauce, any Black African know that we don't have much facial hear...you sound like a knowledgeable person, but sometime you really disappoint me...use your brain, why Africans, especially the most tropically adapted have less hair than other human beings including Asians...answer my question? Why Egyptians didn't portray themselves with beards but painted leucoderm foreigners with beards....for a Black African it's too obvious, but you still struggle understanding Black African morphology and other attributes...
Posts: 919 | From: AFRICA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KemsonReloaded
Member # 14127

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KemsonReloaded     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PEPI_KHEM:
http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/9315/battleti1.jpg

Basically Arabs like!
Posts: 213 | From: New York City, USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Full beards is a custom and culture of the populations from that region. It predates Islam and Judaism, but became a predominant feature of both. Long hair was a sign of strength and manliness and can be seen in the stories of Samson from the bible. Egyptians had a different culture and different traditions on grooming of hair. That does NOT mean that they could not grow long beards, but that they preferred NOT TO as being clean shaven or having small tufted or woven beards was the custom of the land.
Posts: 8898 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AS I SAID. Africans GENERALLY have LESS body hair than Europeans ie LESS facial hair. LESS = not all. Besides my personal observation I have seen studies that show that.
Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
I concur with Doug. Although I get what some of you guys are saying, that many African men tend to have facial hair that is more sparse or non at all. In fact, most pharaohs wore false beards that were attached to the chin by a strap.

All I'm saying is that I have seen more than my share of exceptions of black/African men with full beards, though not as full or as long as Asiatic/Arab men. In fact, I have seen predynastic miniature sculptures dating back to the late Badarian period which depict male heads sporting full beards. (Can anyone find this for me?)

But again I ask, how did the topic of the identity of those Asiatics in the portrait venture to whether or not Egyptians or Africans in general can sport full beards?? [Confused]

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Because no one wants to do the difficult of
deductive reasoning necessary to precisely
identify those Levantines (for lack of text
in association with the frieze).

Nonetheless they have tentively been shown
to be Mesen until other researchers reveal a
different ethnic moniker for them.

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ And who are the Mesen? Better yet who are all the other ethnic groups you listed: Aradus, Cherb, Ekeret, Keshkesh, Kizwanda, Irun.

Another thing I forgot to ask is if the men in the portrait were all of one ethnic group, as two of the men in the front contrast-- one slightly ligther in complexion with more clothing, shorter hair, and no fillet, while the other has darker complexion, shirtless, with longer hair and a fillet.

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
You can do as I have for texts
a - examine contemporaneous AE texts concerning Hatti & Levantine conquests
b - note the ethnonyms

Then do the following for imagery
1 - analyse Khem_Pepi's given fragment
2 - pore through hundreds of AE artworks
3 - minutely compare the represented peoples
4 - put aside any matching portraiture
5 - translate the mdw ntjr
6 - note the ethnonyms

Having done that you can then research each ethnonym
for more available information about them because
no one's paying me to do it for them.

Or else do your own labor intensive research and
report back with your findings only to have those not
doing the same hard work question it and send you
out to gather and share more than what you graciously
have already given them to start with and what no
one else has bothered to pitch in with what they
have come up with on their own.

PEPI_KHEM
Member # 12897

Rate Member
Thank you guys for the answer, does anybody have more information about this event, Notice allso the men in the white shirt having an arrow in his belly, Allso notice the next from him having a white row in his hair, I have seen pictures where Egyptians & Nubians allso having the white row in their heir..

--------------------
Returned from exile

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^ The white 'row' or headband is called a fillet by scholars. I believe it to be an item associated with Afrasian speakers as it is especially common among peoples in the Horn. (Although a poster shows it is also found among other non-Afrasian speaking Africans).

As to Takruri, what you suggest will do but it's gonna take some time.

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Indeed it will. Took me 6 off & on hours to do what I did.

--------------------
Intellectual property of YYT al~Takruri © 2004 - 2017. All rights reserved.

PEPI_KHEM
Member # 12897

Rate Member
Somehow i have the inpression that it must be an sea battle

--------------------
Returned from exile

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Famous Pharaoh-on-Chariot land battle scenes often
depict the fallen foe all tumbled up over each other.

--------------------
Intellectual property of YYT al~Takruri © 2004 - 2017. All rights reserved.

Prince_of_punt
Member # 9845

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Prince_of_punt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
West Africans usually especially Nigerians from what I have seen always have beards usually. Whereas East Africans usually have less possibility of growing beards.

In my own family my maternal side don't get beards at all, but my paternal side are 50/50 some with a beard that looks like a goatey literally!

Posts: 265 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com